Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Mantle update...

Umm... im trying to read the last part of your comment... how is the a8-7600 apu a FireGL card? ....its a socket Fm2+ Apu....
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    G.Skill Trident X 2666 Cl10
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    Before everyone starts running out to buy AMD stock, keep in mind the 45% figure comes not from Battlefield, but Oxide Games? Starswarm demo - a 64-bit engine test first shown in December that attempts to fill space with thousands of ships on-screen at once kinda like the test on 3dmark Vantage. And it doesn?t apply to just any generic AMD card - rather the A8-7600, a new APU from the Kaveri line the manufacturer is showing at CES. A very expensive AMD FireGL card.
    Where the hell did you hear that the 45% figure doesn't come from Battlefield? If it came from Oxide Game's starswarm demo, it won't be 45%. It would be 200%.

A8-7600 is a FireGL card? Oh man.

c[_]
    oh wow..

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Now, XtremeSystem forum still tolerates this kinda trolling, and of course none of the self proclaimed "fair & balanced Graphic pundit & AMD fans basher" make any comment out of that.
    Rig:

Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 @4.0 GHz watercooled
    AMD Radeon HD 5850 @950 MHz
    4 GB Adata Vitesta
    DFI LanParty X38
    Creative XFi
    2 WDC black 640 GB RAID 0, 2 WDC caviar 1.5 GB
    Silverstone 700 w
    Thermaltake Kandalf
    24" Samsung LCD TV full HD

Xtreme Addict
    Before everyone starts running out to buy AMD stock, keep in mind the 45% figure comes not from Battlefield, but Oxide Games? Starswarm demo - a 64-bit engine test first shown in December that attempts to fill space with thousands of ships on-screen at once kinda like the test on 3dmark Vantage. And it doesn?t apply to just any generic AMD card - rather the A8-7600, a new APU from the Kaveri line the manufacturer is showing at CES. A very expensive AMD FireGL card.
    You Sir must come from planet Bizarro... I can see you have a nice valve tube amplifier on your Avatar..... maybe you should kinda stick to what you know, since you just demonstrated your knowledge on Amd's product line.
    この世界には 人の運命を司る 何らかの超越的な 〝律〝...... 〝神の手〝が 存在するのだろうか? 少なくとも 人は 自らの意志さえ 自由にはできな

The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Actually the Starswarm demo runs 200% faster on the A8-7600, but like I said that APU doesn't really have that much in the way of CPU resources to begin with.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spursindonesia View Post
    Now, XtremeSystem forum still tolerates this kinda trolling, and of course none of the self proclaimed "fair & balanced Graphic pundit & AMD fans basher" make any comment out of that.
    I would say it is more of an honest mistake. rather than a genuine attempt at trolling.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddMuppet View Post
    I would say it is more of an honest mistake. rather than a genuine attempt at trolling.
    Nah, the guy is a (fill in the blank)

I am a long time XS member, dont post much anymore just read, this 'person' only ever posts negative comments regarding anything to do with AMD.
    Seasonic Prime TX-850 Platinum | MSI X570 MEG Unify | Ryzen 5 5800X 2048SUS, TechN AM4 1/2" ID
    32GB Viper Steel 4400, EK Monarch @3733/1866, 1.64v - 13-14-14-14-28-42-224-16-1T-56-0-0
    WD SN850 1TB | Zotac Twin Edge 3070 @2055/1905, Alphacool Eisblock
    2 x Aquacomputer D5 | Eisbecher Helix 250
    EK-CoolStream XE 360 | Thermochill PA120.3 | 6 x Arctic P12

Xtreme Mentor
    Wow.
    Having a constructive discussion seems more and more difficult on the news section.
    Whatever you post, people cry a river if the post it's not at the advantage of their dear brand.

P.S : No need to disrespect or discredit Hardware.fr. I know this site very well and they do a great job. Making such a move is futile.
    Last edited by Olivon; 01-10-2014 at 02:13 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Star Swarm Demonstration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PKxP30WxYM

take it for what ever it is worth.

Personal opinion: I find it hilarious that the only "advantage" they show over DirectX is motion blur. This reminds me a lot to the first metro game where they used a useless demanding motion blur technique ho put down every gpu at that time.
    Not that motion blur is the first thing I disable in games anyway.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Here's another one from CES. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yak25TKCCrc

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post
    P.S : No need to disrespect or discredit Hardware.fr. I know this site very well and they do a great job. Making such a move is futile.
    seems like a good site but their uber mode invention on nvidia cards are very suspicious i think.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blindbox View Post
    Here's another one from CES. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yak25TKCCrc
    It's a shame with a test like that, they can't have 2 identical machines. One running DX and the other mantle, side by side.

Xtreme Addict
    My only excuse is I was half asleep (5am i believe) when I did a hack job cut-and-paste from here....

http://www.pcgamesn.com/battlefield/...e-over-directx

A couple of important caveats: the 45% figure comes not from Battlefield, but Oxide Games? Starswarm demo - a 64-bit engine test first shown in December that attempts to fill space with thousands of ships on-screen at once. And it doesn?t apply to just any generic AMD card - rather the A8-7600, a new APU from the Kaveri line the manufacturer is showing at CES. A very expensive AMD card.

It?s a claim and a half nonetheless. If AMD?s new bollocks turn out to be as doggy as they say, will you be busy justifying a new card to yourself this year?

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Addict
    Don't expect Mantle anytime soon. AMD is now saying Q1 2014. So it can be as late as March 31....

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Mentor
    q1 is good if they can catch it last day or not. being late for a while is less important then going to market with lots of bugs.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My only excuse is I was half asleep (5am i believe) when I did a hack job cut-and-paste from here....

45% comes from these FPS values, apparently. http://i.imgur.com/8tf2zwH.png

Latest I would say for Mantle would be the last day of February. I've never seen them being way too late to release a driver designated for January. That said I haven't updated my drivers lately because I never had any problems.

Xtreme Addict

I would suggest you get your news from somebody a bit more in the know...
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    I have to agree with that.

AMD was claiming 300% improvement for the Starswarm demo.

45% is for BF4 with the A8 7600.

To me, that's particularly important since even a 15% bump in framerates makes a HUGE difference for APUs.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    I suspect he just get them from places that fit his schedule

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post

To me, that's particularly important since even a 15% bump in framerates makes a HUGE difference for APUs.
    I think the reason you are seeing such a speed boost variance is based on what limitation a CPU bottleneck is affecting performance. While you may get 10% where no bottleneck exists, when you compare a slower CPU (such as AMD's APU) vs the fastest (Intel top of the line) you are going to see a much bigger boost with the APU % wise vs that of the Intel EE. You will also see greater improvement in a game which uses loads of CPU calculations like AI, such as the Swarm demo, Starcraft, or other RTS type games.
    --Intel i5 3570k 4.4ghz (stock volts) - Corsair H100 - 6970 UL XFX 2GB - - Asrock Z77 Professional - 16GB Gskill 1866mhz - 2x90GB Agility 3 - WD640GB - 2xWD320GB - 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 - Audigy-- --NZXT Phantom - Samsung SATA DVD--(old systems Intel E8400 Wolfdale/Asus P45, AMD965BEC3 790X, Antec 180, Sapphire 4870 X2 (dead twice))

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post

I don't actually trust results with Kaveri, there are too many unknown factors like HSA, the 512 shaders, and the fast memory to take into account. At the very least I would expect Mantle to push the GPU compute work over to the APU shaders to free up the GPU shaders. Which isn't something I can replicate on my Intel.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Stukov View Post
    I think the reason you are seeing such a speed boost variance is based on what limitation a CPU bottleneck is affecting performance. While you may get 10% where no bottleneck exists, when you compare a slower CPU (such as AMD's APU) vs the fastest (Intel top of the line) you are going to see a much bigger boost with the APU % wise vs that of the Intel EE. You will also see greater improvement in a game which uses loads of CPU calculations like AI, such as the Swarm demo, Starcraft, or other RTS type games.
    No, the reason there is such a variance is that Starswarm was coded especially for Mantle. It's beyond a best case scenario. In 90% of the Mantle titles we see for the next few years, the standard DirectX + Windows driver will be the primary rendering tool while Mantle will be added in. Hence why there is a much lower gain in BF4, the poster child for an actual Mantle-supporting game.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconyu View Post
    I don't actually trust results with Kaveri, there are too many unknown factors like HSA, the 512 shaders, and the fast memory to take into account. At the very least I would expect Mantle to push the GPU compute work over to the APU shaders to free up the GPU shaders. Which isn't something I can replicate on my Intel.
    HSA isn't active right now, nor will it come into effect within games. Games actually do a pretty good job of partitioning resources (especially those that support DirectCompute, etc.) already so HSA is mostly focused on compute-focused apps through OpenCL 2.0.

Xtreme Member
    It would be wonderful if Nvidia also supported this, and we no longer have to use DirectX. With Microsoft trying to force people the upgrade to a newer OS by supporting newer versions of DirectX only on the latest Windows, something must be done. Of course, Nvidia will never do this, and before you know it we'll have OpenGl, Direct X, Mantle, and a Nvidia variation.
    Asus Z87 Deluxe, 4770K,Noctua NH-D14, Crucial 16 GB DDR3-1600, Geforce Titan, ASUS DRW-24B3ST, Crucial M500 960GB, Crucial M4 256GB, 3 X Seagate 4TB, Lamptron FC5 V2 Fancontroller, Noctua Casefans, Antec P183 Black, Asus Essence STX, Corsair AX860i, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, Win7 Home Pro 64 bit + Win 8.1 Home 64 bit Dual boot, ASUS VG278H

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast