Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Mantle update...

Xtreme Mentor
    it depends on the source of this. first actually i was expecting 4 is nonsense 5th is epic fail if true rest are not that important imo maybe the portrait thing.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizzen View Post
    Mantle Known Issues List

Last Updates: 1/29/2014
    Lower-than-expected performance on AMD Radeon? HD 7000 and HD 8000 Series GPUs -already known and expected
    Lower-than-expected performance on AMD Radeon? R9 280X and R9 270X GPUs -already known and expected
    Multi-GPU support will be added to StarSwarm in a future application patch -limited tech demo, who cares
    Battlefield 4? Multi-GPU improvements will be made available in future updates -false
    BattleField 4? + AMD CrossFire? stability and stuttering issues are still under investigation -some bugs but most worked out
    Notebooks based on AMD Enduro or PowerXpress? technologies are currently not supported -obvious but not widely known
    Portrait mode display configurations are currently not supported in Battlefield 4? -no idea
    AMD Eyefinity technology is not currently supported in StarSwarm -limited tech demo, who cares

Epic fail?
    Ummm.... Early Beta release. Not sure how that is construed as fail.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    Ummm.... Early Beta release. Not sure how that is construed as fail.
    What's your BF4 soldier name ?
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    question is wrong. as amd states mantle is open to everybody question should be "will Nvidia support mantle?"
    Nvidia would rather makes something of their own(not the low gain Nvapi or whatever it is) and make it exclusive.

If and when Mantle opens up a bit more, the primary benefit in my mind is to increase attractiveness of AMD CPU's. The gains with generally poorly performing AMD CPU's mixed with about any GPU appears where most of the gains are.

The performance increases of the high end don't appear that impressive at all. If AMD was to make Mantle purely closed for AMD GPU's, it would hurt the attractiveness of their CPU's as Nvidia still commands the greater market share.

One thing I think would help amd but I question if 3dmark would allow it since it introduces some unfairness for Intel is to redo, 3dmarks or do future versions in mantle. Currently, no one uses amd processors with 3dmark to break records. They are simply awful. With a mantle version, this could change in a big way.
    Last edited by tajoh111; 01-31-2014 at 03:21 PM.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    Nvidia would rather makes something of their own(not the low gain Nvapi or whatever it is) and make it exclusive.

If and when Mantle opens up a bit more, the primary benefit in my mind is to increase attractiveness of AMD CPU's. The gains with generally poorly performing AMD CPU's mixed with about any GPU appears where most of the gains are.

The performance increases of the high end don't appear that impressive at all. If AMD was to make Mantle purely closed for AMD GPU's, it would hurt the attractiveness of their CPU's as Nvidia still commands the greater market share.

One thing I think would help amd but I question if 3dmark would allow it since it introduces some unfairness for Intel is to redo, 3dmarks or do future versions in mantle. Currently, no one uses amd processors with 3dmark to break records. They are simply awful. With a mantle version, this could change in a big way.
    Im sure about it now. tajoh111 is nVidia worker in top tier.

Xtreme Addict

Yes! I have an elephant in scotland AMD yield figures over their last year's earnings since Intel is releasing 14nm double waffles made out of LN2 with high clockable ability.... god I haven't even written one line of crap and I'm already at my limit... do not know how you can post relentless useless info the way you do, but I gotta hand it to you you write some of the best useless crap out there.
    この世界には 人の運命を司る 何らかの超越的な 〝律〝...... 〝神の手〝が 存在するのだろうか? 少なくとも 人は 自らの意志さえ 自由にはできな

I am Xtreme
    Currently, no one uses amd processors with 3dmark to break records. They are simply awful. With a mantle version, this could change in a big way.
    Not really. GPU scores may go up, CPU scores will stay low.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    ^^ his posts are like Osmium.... dense as Fcuk

Quote Originally Posted by kuroikenshi View Post
    ^^ his posts are like Osmium.... dense as Fcuk

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme Addict
    Rofl!!!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizzen View Post
    Mantle Known Issues List

Last Updates: 1/29/2014
    Lower-than-expected performance
    Lower-than-expected performance
    Multi-GPU improvements will be made available in future updates
    Epic fail?
    When "Lower than expected" provides 25% boost (Free boost, same hardware!!!) I find "Epic fail" slightly funny here

Another funny part: after they fix the issues and get additional boost, say 10% or 25%...
    Last edited by SEA; 01-31-2014 at 05:50 PM.
    Windows 8.1
    Asus M4A87TD EVO + Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3900MHz + HD3850
    APUs

Xtreme Addict
    it needs to be an epic fail for those who were expecting 30-50 % straight off the bat whilst on Beta drivers... it makes sense... after all we're used to seeing 20 million thousand percent increase from gen to gen..... when buying videocards for free too (not sure if I was cynical enough there)

here are some facts.

API coding takes time, and is highly dependant on a multitude of factors
    this is the first time we see "coding to the metal" in game applications
    BF4 has a heck of a lot of issues that still need sorting

anyone who calls this an epic fail is proving to know nothing on the subject

Xtreme Member
    it needs to be an epic fail for those who were expecting 30-50 % straight off the bat whilst on Beta drivers... it makes sense... after all we're used to seeing 20 million thousand percent increase from gen to gen..... when buying videocards for free too (not sure if I was cynical enough there)

here are some facts.

I love BF games, but you certainly got that right.

Xtreme Addict
    same, but a bad publisher can turn a nice game into crap rather fast

Xtreme Member

here are some facts.

I didn't expect to see BF4 with fully optimized Mantle support across the full range of proposed AMD GPUs to be supported until May 2014...I really didn't believe it was ready....
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --MSI R7970 3GB @1150, 1500 cooled with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme--
    --G.SKILL Ripjaws @2400 MHz --
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --128 GB Sandisk UltraPlus is was only $59 new! Seagate 1TB HD--
    --Samsung S23A750D 120Hz monitor--
    --Razer Tarantula-- keyboard, yes it is like 8 years old!
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

Xtreme Member
    same, but a bad publisher can turn a nice game into crap rather fast
    So true and it's almost at that stage if it hasn't passed it already. I have a fair few friends who have given up on BF4 and will not return. Shame as playing in a squad with your mates, there's nothing better.

Xtreme Addict
    yeah I used to be in -AOS- for Battlefield 2 & 3

few times sitting in the top 5 AUS clan.... we had 3-4 kiwis too, their ping wasnt too high and they were mad

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Johan Andersson article about Battlefield 4 AMD Mantle, good read. Lets see what tajoh thinks about it, I'm ready for another good read.

This part is interesting, just to show Mantle is not ONLY about AMD CPUs

Test case 3: High-end single-player with multiple GPUs

CPU: Intel Core i7-3970x Extreme, 12 logical cores @ 3.5 GHz
    GPU: 2x AMD Radeon R9 290x 4 GB
    Settings: 1080p ULTRA 4x MSAA
    Level: South China Sea ?Broken Flight Deck?
    This single-player scene is heavy on both the CPU and GPU with lots of action going on. Test was done on the highest end Intel CPU on Windows 8, which is the fastest option before Mantle thanks to DirectX 11.1. Still this CPU is not fast enough to keep the 2 290x GPUs fed at 1080p on Ultra settings so we get a significant CPU performance bottleneck which results in major performance improvement when enabling Mantle.
    Result: 13.24 ms/f -> = 8.38 ms/f = 58% faster
    Read more here
    Core i7-4930K LGA 2011 Six-Core - Cooler Master Seidon 120XL ? Push-Pull Liquid Water
    ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA2011 - G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
    Sapphire R9 290X 4GB TRI-X OC in CrossFire - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
    Intel X25-M 160GB G2 SSD - WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6
    Corsair HX1000W PSU - Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R
    Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
    Sennheiser RS 180 - Cooler Master Cosmos S Case

Xtreme Addict
    Yes! I have an elephant in scotland AMD yield figures over their last year's earnings since Intel is releasing 14nm double waffles made out of LN2 with high clockable ability.... god I haven't even written one line of crap and I'm already at my limit... do not know how you can post relentless useless info the way you do, but I gotta hand it to you you write some of the best useless crap out there.

Exactly point out what is exactly wrong. Please do an explanation that shows some effort rather than douche comment.

Really add some graphs and stuff as well while your at it and show something beyond this snarky attitude. My post isn't even negative towards AMD.

My first comment was aimed more negatively at Nvidia than anything. Nvidia is generally pretty close minded with all their software because their greed keeps this software features proprietary.

And for the rest of my post...

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...es-mantle.html

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/17...pus-not-gpus/2

In Battlefield 4, we have more robust information. AMD claims that the FX-8350 + R9 290X will see an average of 23.8% better performance under Mantle, while the Core i5-4670K + 290X will see a performance improvement of just 7.5%.

Look where the biggest gains are. They are with lower end AMD APU's or AMD CPU's in general.

If you have a mid to high end Intel CPU paired with a high end GPU, Mantle isn't exactly boosting much thus as I said earlier if you look at the above graph, Mantle isn't aimed at boosting the performance of the enthusiast so much with a high end GPU. However add mantle to a slower AMD processors and you get pretty good results(quite fantastic in some cases).

With the small adoption of mantle currently, it acts as little leverage for people to buy an AMD CPU or even an AMD GPU(unless they have an AMD APU paired with an AMD GPU). A person is better off with an Intel processor because they get consistent results across all games(not just Mantle ones).

If someone gets a new computer and it comes with a decent Intel processors, they currently get good performance with either an Nvidia GPU or AMD GPU. Currently without Mantle, getting an AMD APU, mixed with a GPU from either Nvidia or AMD, you get something something thats between mediocre to almost matching Intel(atleast with an FX, less so with an AMD APU). With Mantle, your finally able to get good performance out of some games(actually one only) with an AMD APU. Limiting it to AMD GPU's would make the Intel solution more attractive again if it wasn't already more attractive.

Getting an Intel CPU currently nets you the following.
    Good performance with AMD or Nvidia GPU's.
    Good performance consistently across all games.
    A slight boost with Mantle.

Getting an AMD APU currently gets you without Mantle.
    A mix of performance with AMD or Nvidia GPU's.
    A mix of performance consistently across multiple games depending on how CPU limited they are.
    This is what made people not want to mix discrete with AMD.

With Mantle, AMD gets the following benefits.

AMD nudges between 2 to 10 percent more performance in games that support it when combined with a high end AMD GPU with a High end Intel processor
    A 30-50 percent boost when combining an AMD GPU with an AMD APU(which still performs poorer than the Intel result).
    But most importantly, you only get the above benefits when the game supports Mantle. This makes or breaks the benefit of mantle, thus mass adoption from developers is what AMD needs to make it a clear selling point. To get mass adoption without a cash payment from AMD, its going to require both support of AMD and Nvidia in developers eyes. From the time it took to implement the mantle version of BF4, the work is not trivial.

At this point it should be clear the benefit of Mantle isn't so much for AMD GPU's as much as it is for AMD CPU's. The above article I mentioned even titled it something along these lines. And this is exactly what AMD needs, a bigger reason to use their CPU's in general. AMD's CPU division has the most room for revenue growth and it is currently the poorest performing area for them. Thus to keep Mantle purely closed for AMD GPU product, would limits its effect of boosting CPU sales because ultimately the Intel processor gets more consistent and higher performance across the board and it doesn't need Mantle to do this. It would hurt its adoption from developers and people that currently own an Nvidia GPU would have no interest switching to an AMD CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz68 View Post
    Johan Andersson article about Battlefield 4 AMD Mantle, good read. Lets see what tajoh thinks about it, I'm ready for another good read.

This part is interesting, just to show Mantle is not ONLY about AMD CPUs

Read more here
    The only way to get 58% more gain is if cross fire was broken in the first place.

100% scaling is pretty much the ideal and impossible to get.

If initial performance was say 1.8(80% percent crossfire scaling) vs a single 290x, that would mean with a 58% improvement(1.8x1.58), 284%(or 184% crossfire scaling) improvement over a single card was achieved and that is impossible. However say performance was 1.2(or pretty much broken crossfire), a 58% improvement would be 1.896(roughly 90 percent crossfire scalling which would be fantastic still). Thus I suspect this is more of a fix for broken crossfire scaling.
    Last edited by tajoh111; 01-31-2014 at 11:28 PM.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

essay?
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    G.Skill Trident X 2666 Cl10
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Xtreme Member
    Then Mantle would really benefit AMD in the low power segment such as a laptop or other portable device that relies on an AMD CPU/GPU combo. In that scenario we could possibly see AMD yield better performance per watt drawn with Mantle?
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --MSI R7970 3GB @1150, 1500 cooled with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme--
    --G.SKILL Ripjaws @2400 MHz --
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --128 GB Sandisk UltraPlus is was only $59 new! Seagate 1TB HD--
    --Samsung S23A750D 120Hz monitor--
    --Razer Tarantula-- keyboard, yes it is like 8 years old!
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

Xtreme Enthusiast

The only way to get 58% more gain is if cross fire was broken in the first place.
    damn, that Johan guy has absolutely no idea what is he testing and the worst part of it he must run it at least couple times just to make sure before publishing. Maybe you should apply for a job there since you know so much better. You ask for benchmarks and when i show you one you still not happy.

I don't want to dispute Mantle at this time might benefit mostly mid or lower end setups but it looks like ONLY it's not the case.
    Anyway unlike you I have very hard time to find anything wrong about it.
    Core i7-4930K LGA 2011 Six-Core - Cooler Master Seidon 120XL ? Push-Pull Liquid Water
    ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA2011 - G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
    Sapphire R9 290X 4GB TRI-X OC in CrossFire - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
    Intel X25-M 160GB G2 SSD - WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6
    Corsair HX1000W PSU - Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R
    Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
    Sennheiser RS 180 - Cooler Master Cosmos S Case

Xtreme Member

Im sure you don't know what are you talking about.
    CPU : Athlon X2 7850,Clock:3000 at 1.20 | Mobo : Biostar TA790GX A2+ Rev 5.1 | PSU : Green GP535A | VGA : Sapphire 5770 Clock:910,Memory:1300 | Memory : Patriot 2x2 GB DDR2 800 CL 5-5-5-15 | LCD : AOC 931Sw

Xtreme Member
    If you have high end cpu and dont like Mantle there is one option you can do:

Dont use mantle. That will show them.

People with low end cpus or apus propably dont mind getting free 0-40% performance increases in some gaming scenarios.

edit. This is bit offtopic but basically similar message in 0:20-0:50 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqXWS7Efgcc
    Last edited by ilkkahy; 02-01-2014 at 02:15 AM.
    "I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hold up, why is hardwarecanucks ignoring these numbers? From PCPer's article.

Core i7-4960X CPU + R9 290X GPU
    1080p, Ultra Preset, 4xAA: 9.2% improvement with Mantle
    1600p, Ultra Preset, 4xAA: 10% improvement with Mantle

10% increase is a good amount of increase.

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast