Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti Reviews

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by boxleitnerb View Post
    I believe the problem with the 780 Ti SLI is throttling (just like at [H]). No one should be surprised by that when testing 83?C temp target vs 95?C temp target. 780 Ti SLI and 290X CF Uber mode should be quite on par if the temperature allowance is the same on both setups.
    Unfortunately, no reviewer investigates this further -> incompetence.

I have Titan SLI and if you want, I can show you how excellent it scales in 4K (via downsampling). I have Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Alan Wake, Metro 2033, Sleeping Dogs, Witcher 2...
    You will be surprised how different these values will be compared to those reviews at [H] and AT.
    Nobody cares about your Titans testing since in numerous post you insist the reviewer should have run them at 1000MHz to be fair, what a nonsense.
    You should have sold your Titans in October probably getting about $1600 and since there is no way you would buy AMD you could have buy the faster GTX 780 Ti SLI for $1400 cut your losses and take you wife or G/F for nice dinner and be happy.
    Core i7-4930K LGA 2011 Six-Core - Cooler Master Seidon 120XL ? Push-Pull Liquid Water
    ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA2011 - G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
    Sapphire R9 290X 4GB TRI-X OC in CrossFire - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
    Intel X25-M 160GB G2 SSD - WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6
    Corsair HX1000W PSU - Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R
    Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
    Sennheiser RS 180 - Cooler Master Cosmos S Case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirvash View Post
    They are different cards made by different companies, raising one cards temp target is not testing them on par with each other, it is testing one card at default and one card running out of spec.
    Uber mode is not default.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz68 View Post
    Nobody cares about your Titans testing since in numerous post you insist the reviewer should have run them at 1000MHz to be fair, what a nonsense.
    You should have sold your Titans in October probably getting about $1600 and since there is no way you would buy AMD you could have buy the faster GTX 780 Ti SLI for $1400 cut your losses and take you wife or G/F for nice dinner and be happy.
    Wanting fair testing methods is not nonsense. To test uber mode vs NV default settings, that is nonsense.
    The fact of the matter is that SLI scales almost perfectly, contrary to what these reviews show.

I'm quite happy with my Titans, I don't feel the need to upgrade every time a minor speed bump is released. 70+%, then we're talking.
    Last edited by boxleitnerb; 11-07-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Xtreme Addict

Wanting fair testing methods is not nonsense. To test uber mode vs NV default settings, that is nonsense.
    The fact of the matter is that SLI scales almost perfectly, contrary to what these reviews show.

I'm quite happy with my Titans, I don't feel the need to upgrade every time a minor speed bump is released. 70+%, then we're talking.
    I'm with you on upgrading every 70%+ improvement. That's why I'll skip this gen and wait for 20nm Maxwells and GCNs
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Addict

Against the 290x, gtx ti is overpriced about 50 dollars. Everything is overpriced vs a r290 if we don't take noise as part of the equation.

The gtx 780 ti is a better card than a 290x, no question and deserve a price premium. Maybe not 150 but 100 is okay, particularly with the bundle.

Where it does show its premium worth over a 290x, is when u equalize the overclock that uber mode allows and bring AMD overclocking into the equation.

Something tells me, even overclocked with the fan ramped up(overclocked cards till consuming less than uber mode along with the superior Nvidia cooler), its still quieter than uber mode.

I am curious to find out how much power a gtx 780 ti consumes overclocked, with Nvidia tight power regulation, I suspect it won't go up dramatically. When a gtx 290x, which requires voltage and crazy fan profiles to get anywhere to overclock, which can lead to the 290x consuming hundreds of more watts.

With all this in mind, I have a feeling a gtx 780 ti when overclocked(and not pushed half as hard) is the same speed as an over volted 290x running at 100% fan from techpowerup.

Techpowerup overclocked their gtx 780 ti using the default fan profile to boost clocks of 1173mhz. The 290x reached clocks of 1190mhz using 100% fan, extra volts and consumed 250 extra watts to get to this overclock. I suspect with the launch of the gtx 780 ti, AMD no longer has a clock to clock advantage.

The gtx 780 ti from what we have seen from websites like anandtech and techpowerup, in overclocked mode is capable of being as fast as a 7990 and a gtx 690 from a single chip. With the heat problems, existing noise problems, power consumption, I can't see the 290x doing that with its stock cooler. It will have to ramp up fan speed to unusable levels and consume ridiculous amounts of power.

Thus an overclocked gtx 780 ti with the default fan profile = constant 100% fan, voltage modded 290x consuming ridiculous amounts of power. That is worth 100 dollars to me, particularly if you throw in the bundle.

This makes it a much better card in my eyes. Maybe not worth a 150 dollars but definitely 100 dollars.

Kind of disappoint with the power consumption. It consumes as much as 290x in quiet mode or close to it. The performance to an extent too. I think they did a modest revision compared to what they did with the gtx 480 to gtx 580. I though we would see more than a 12 percent increase considering it didn't come fully enabled the faster vram.
    Last edited by tajoh111; 11-07-2013 at 01:59 PM.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Mentor
    Waiting for custom versions. Strong PCB, great cooling and more freedom on voltage will certainly give us some impressive results.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    For me, the price premium of the 780 Ti is acceptable due to several features in the NV ecosystem like PhysX, downsampling, HBAO+ and more flexibility with AA and SLI bits. While Mantle could provide some additional performance for Radeon cards, I personally don't care yet. I can always get better performance by putting more cards in or by overclocking. But if my card doesn't support these image quality features, then nothing will change that.
    A part of my current preference may also be a force of habit, I won't deny that. If and when the situation changes, I would have to re-evaluate. Contrary to what Heinz68 thinks, I can see myself buying an AMD card - but I don't just look at fps/$ (in fact, I hardly do) but at stuff that goes beyond that. It's stuff that most people don't care about, I know that very well.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirvash View Post
    They are different cards made by different companies, raising one cards temp target is not testing them on par with eachother, it is testing one card at default and one card running out of spec.
    Yeah, running Uber mode which is a non-default setting and raises the clocks/fanspeed is indeed not on par... quiet mode to default 780 Ti is fair, as is uber mode to non-throttling 780 ti (raised temp target & fan speed just like the uber mode on the 290X does).

For me, the price premium of the 780 Ti is acceptable due to several features in the NV ecosystem like PhysX, downsampling, HBAO+ and more flexibility with AA and SLI bits. While Mantle could provide some additional performance for Radeon cards, I personally don't care yet. I can always get better performance by putting more cards in or by overclocking. But if my card doesn't support these image quality features, then nothing will change that.
    A part of my current preference may also be a force of habit, I won't deny that. If and when the situation changes, I would have to re-evaluate. Contrary to what Heinz68 thinks, I can see myself buying an AMD card - but I don't just look at fps/$ (in fact, I hardly do) but at stuff that goes beyond that. It's stuff that most people don't care about, I know that very well.
    Oh, I think more of us care about it than you think . Things like physx, downsampling, hbao+, transparency supersampling AA, etc. and the upcoming gsync are quite important to many gamers. People don't just pay more for a product that performs around the same for no reason as the amd fanboys would like to claim.
    Last edited by GoldenTiger; 11-07-2013 at 01:12 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post
    Waiting for custom versions. Strong PCB, great cooling and more freedom on voltage will certainly give us some impressive results.
    The reference card again uses NCP4206 voltage controller so we should be able to see 1.3V+ on these boards as well. As long as you cool them properly you should be able to get great clocks on reference boards.

Xtreme Member
    Well, one thing is certain. This generation, performance is grear from both Nvida and AMD. So we should all be happy. That and prices have dropped.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddMuppet View Post
    Well, one thing is certain. This generation, performance is grear from both Nvida and AMD. So we should all be happy. That and prices have dropped.
    Not really for Nvidia though. Nvidia have nothing that competes with the 290, the GTX 770 has been relegated to a mid range card over the last couple weeks (where it frankly belong a year ago), while the 780 and 780 ti are both priced too highly. In the past, the standard 780 would have been called a 570/470/260-270 and priced appropriately around that mid 400s mark, and the 780 TI would be the top end for $100 more. Now that card doesn't exist any more and there is a huge hole in the Nvidia pricing system. Maybe if AMD were more competitive when Kepler came out we would have avoided this mess we have to do, which seems unlikely to sort itself for the near future (Because Maxwell can't be that far away, and you would expect the performance to be greater than now and thus priced very high).

I would be all over this card if it was a custom cooled card and had 6GB, but its not so I'll wait, because I plan on getting a 4K screen soon and 3GB isn't going to cut it.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Inno3d iChill GTX 780TI HerculeZ X3 Ultra look amazing

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inno3d.jpg 
Views:	740 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	131779
    WOOOOOF

Xtreme Member
    I take it Maxwell is very far away if we are getting refresh of a refresh
    .:. Obsidian 750D .:. i7 5960X .:. EVGA Titan .:. G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4 32GB .:. CORSAIR HX850i .:. Asus X99-DELUXE .:. Crucial M4 SSD 512GB .:.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz68 View Post
    I know some people will argue there is not much 4K gaming right now, true but some 3 monitors configs have even higher resolution than 4K.

I did not see any R9 290 crossfire reviews yet, so I wonder how this $600 less set-up than GTX 780 Ti SLI is going to compete in 4k or 3 monitors config.
    And the # of people running 3-monitor configs with higher-than-4K resolution total is about the same as the count-it-on-one-hand number running 4K 60hz on most enthusiast forums . It's still wholly irrelevant and will remain so until significantly less expensive panels start hitting the market. Seiki is reportedly planning to launch a 4k 60hz 39" TV/monitor with HDMI 2.0 in Q2 2014, but even if it's "only" $700-1000 that's still not going to make a huge dent but at least then I could buy the argument it has importance for top-end video cards... heck look at 2560 resolutions and how only with the sub-$300 Korean panels etc. has the market come down a lot and it's become a much more common gaming resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
    And the # of people running 3-monitor configs with higher-than-4K resolution total is about the same as the count-it-on-one-hand number running 4K 60hz on most enthusiast forums . It's still wholly irrelevant and will remain so until significantly less expensive panels start hitting the market. Seiki is reportedly planning to launch a 4k 60hz 39" TV/monitor with HDMI 2.0 in Q2 2014, but even if it's "only" $700-1000 that's still not going to make a huge dent but at least then I could buy the argument it has importance for top-end video cards... heck look at 2560 resolutions and how only with the sub-$300 Korean panels etc. has the market come down a lot and it's become a much more common gaming resolution.
    nobody here has near the information necessary to even begin speculating on the number of people who actually use 3 monitor setups.
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    G.Skill Trident X 2666 Cl10
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace123 View Post
    nobody here has near the information necessary to even begin speculating on the number of people who actually use 3 monitor setups.
    I do

Xtreme Mentor
    if 4k or 3 monitor setups are rare then this new generation means nothing to most users. Like if you game 1080p and you have 7970, 7950 or etc then buy another make cf again if you have 680 670 etc buy another and you fill be fine for a long time.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Member
    More people use three screens for workspace than actually gaming. If you code, or do development work, you need 2 screens at a minimum. 3 screens is tits on a ritz.

People seem to forget what AMD's competitive strategy has always been. First comes the reference cards, then comes the custom/overclocked cards to compete against nvidia's cards that have a small advantage.

I am so sick of the certain few people on this forum that endlessly whine about AMD's reference cooler, and how it is so "unusable." You can't tell me that you wouln't trade the card you currently use for a 290/X (as long as you don't own a titan or 780)
    If you don't currently own a 290/X or have seen one in person, keep your opinions to your self, and stop spreading fud you have no first hand experience with in the first place. It will make make you far more credible and constructive.

What ever happened to the good old day's here at xtremesystems?
    Quote Originally Posted by ***Deimos*** View Post
    WARNING GTX480 - may cause dizziness, blurred vision, dry mouth, dehydration, shortness of breath, headaches, naussea, explosive diahrea

Foxconn Bloodrage P11 ( 2.1 SLIC MOD )
    Corei7 980 (3118B583) 4.2ghz 24-7 with stock vcore
    2x8GB PNY 1600c9 @ 1600mhz 9-9-9-24-1T
    nVidia GTX 770
    256gb OCZ Vertex4 FW 1.5
    2TB Green Barracuda
    Antec HCG-620w PSU
    Corsair H50 ( Sucks Hairry Balls IMHO )
    Coolermaster Storm Sniper Black Custom Sleeved
    3 x Dell U2410 H-IPS 1920x1200 Surround
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace123 View Post
    2560 x 1440
    0.99%
    +0.05%

2560 x 1600
    0.16%
    +0.01%

2880 x 1800
    0.01%
    0.00%

3240 x 1920
    0.00%
    0.00%

3600 x 1920
    0.00%
    0.00%

3840 x 1024
    0.01%
    +0.01%

3840 x 1080
    0.00%
    0.00%

4800 x 900
    0.00%
    0.00%

5040 x 1050
    0.01%
    0.00%

5760 x 1080
    0.07%
    0.00%

5760 x 1200
    0.01%

Steam hardware is the closest. 2560*1440 only make up 1 percent of the monitors.

5760*1080 only makes up 0.07% of the market. So something like say 7680*1440 would be bordering on 1 in 10's of thousands. And 4k likely rarer with the higher price.

Thus, 4k is rarer than a half off 290x and isn't particularly relevant. And it won't be for years.

Quote Originally Posted by To(V)bo Co(V)bo View Post
    More people use three screens for workspace than actually gaming. If you code, or do development work, you need 2 screens at a minimum. 3 screens is tits on a ritz.

People seem to forget what AMD's competitive strategy has always been. First comes the reference cards, then comes the custom/overclocked cards to compete against nvidia's cards that have a small advantage.

I am so sick of the certain few people on this forum that endlessly whine about AMD's reference cooler, and how it is so "unusable." You can't tell me that you wouln't trade the card you currently use for a 290/X (as long as you don't own a titan or 780)
    If you don't currently own a 290/X or have seen one in person, keep your opinions to your self, and stop spreading fud you have no first hand experience with in the first place. It will make make you far more credible and constructive.

What ever happened to the good old day's here at xtremesystems?
    To some extent people need to complain for change to happen. What happened after fermi or more recently, AMD frame time incident? Nvidia basically changed everything about themselves and redesigned things for the better. AMD refocused themselves to improve things and finally release drivers that partially corrected the issue and they made sure Hawaii didn't have the same problem.

If people don't complain about something so fundamentally flawed as a cheap cooler, ruining a good GPU. No change will happen. Thus, I don't think people should be buying stock hawaii in general unless they are going to put a waterblock on it(anandtech agree's with this as well as Kyle bennett). Its a good GPU let down by a bad cooler. I think people should buy partner cards with non-stock coolers, so AMD cleans up their act the next round. What AMD needs to realize is they cannot put the same GPU cooler on what would be cooling a 360mm2 chip on a chip that consumes 300watts.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Mentor
    Why amd chooses to use a cheap cooler on 290 and 290x is obviously clear to everyone i guess. this is an intentional move by amd so complaining about it will not change anything about it. only sales numbers will show them they succeeded or not and will effect their next generation strategies.

i also get tired of seeing crappy cooler arguments on threads. we all know this so i think it is time to start arguing on what will be the effect of this strategy of amd on themselves, nvidia and whole market.

Xtreme Member
    Complaining can have positive effects, but only if you go about it in the proper ways. Complaining on a forum doesn't go very far to be honest. If someone is truly bothered and has intentions on improving a product, then they should be posting on AMD's social media sites and proper feedback channels. If you don't report proper feedback in the appropriate places, then it must not really bother you then. IMO

You can't really make claims about something you have no first hand experience with though, because it is nothing more than hearsay.

I agree with the fact that the reference cooler could have been implemented better no doubt, but it does work at a minimally acceptable level though when compared with previous releases. Traditionally AMD reference coolers have always been on the loud side, that is not anything shockingly new. AMD just wasn't prepared for the required cooling of a larger produced chip, and reused parts they already currently source. Simple as that.

Just because you and I would like it to perform better than it does, is not a reason to complain/whine about what a "stock part" doesn't do.

The real issue at hand is the performance of the cooler after a couple months of use, when it is full of dust? Question is though, if AMD provided a better cooler, how would it have affected the price? and would you be willing to pay the difference? Tell AMD and encourage them to produce a product that you would be int interested in buying, that my friend is making a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by ***Deimos*** View Post
    WARNING GTX480 - may cause dizziness, blurred vision, dry mouth, dehydration, shortness of breath, headaches, naussea, explosive diahrea

Foxconn Bloodrage P11 ( 2.1 SLIC MOD )
    Corei7 980 (3118B583) 4.2ghz 24-7 with stock vcore
    2x8GB PNY 1600c9 @ 1600mhz 9-9-9-24-1T
    nVidia GTX 770
    256gb OCZ Vertex4 FW 1.5
    2TB Green Barracuda
    Antec HCG-620w PSU
    Corsair H50 ( Sucks Hairry Balls IMHO )
    Coolermaster Storm Sniper Black Custom Sleeved
    3 x Dell U2410 H-IPS 1920x1200 Surround
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    Why amd chooses to use a cheap cooler on 290 and 290x is obviously clear to everyone i guess. this is an intentional move by amd so complaining about it will not change anything about it. only sales numbers will show them they succeeded or not and will effect their next generation strategies.

i also get tired of seeing crappy cooler arguments on threads. we all know this so i think it is time to start arguing on what will be the effect of this strategy of amd on themselves, nvidia and whole market.
    You are slightly wrong there my friend, complaining does help. A lot. But only if you complain in the right channels. Of course boycotting works fine, but if lots and lots of people take it up with AMD directly in their home forums, I bet you will see some responses, and perhaps more concern about this in later iterations of the product. Sure companies want profits all the time, but if they see that they are obtaning negative responses from a product, it is most likely that they will do something about it.
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitriman View Post
    You are slightly wrong there my friend, complaining does help. A lot. But only if you complain in the right channels. Of course boycotting works fine, but if lots and lots of people take it up with AMD directly in their home forums, I bet you will see some responses, and perhaps more concern about this in later iterations of the product. Sure companies want profits all the time, but if they see that they are obtaning negative responses from a product, it is most likely that they will do something about it.
    sorry but i don't agree with you and i am not talking about a boycott. of course complaints help but not this kind of situations with many parameters. for example samsung galaxy s4 has battery problems and battery does not have warranty. after complaints samsung accepted to change batteries for free. this is a situation where complaints may help but in 290 and 290x this is not the case.

amd choose to release 290 and 290x with cheap coolers because they wanted to attract the customers with price first. this is an intentional move. believe me amd was also calculated the complaints on this while making this move. now they will look only the sales numbers. only this will change their idea. it is not important even if everybody on the planet complains about the cooler because some may complain but still may buy these cards and when you ask why they can simply answer with because it is cheap.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    From what I read on other forums, some people are happy about the cheap cooler because they're trowing it away anyway, specially the overclockers. So there is some positive .

$500 and up graphic card is less than 10% off the market and the buyers know what are they buying.

Why AMD does not install more expensive cooler on the reference card, I guess to keep the price down and let the AIB (Add-In-Board Partners) have the option to market custom cards at not much more cost for them.
    Core i7-4930K LGA 2011 Six-Core - Cooler Master Seidon 120XL ? Push-Pull Liquid Water
    ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA2011 - G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
    Sapphire R9 290X 4GB TRI-X OC in CrossFire - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
    Intel X25-M 160GB G2 SSD - WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6
    Corsair HX1000W PSU - Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R
    Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
    Sennheiser RS 180 - Cooler Master Cosmos S Case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Simply AMD don't care about the quality of cooler Because they don't want to pay more money $$ to develop professional cooler.
    This foolish act form AMD! Yes NVIDIA may give us cards a little more expensive than AMD but at least offers a stunning design and professional cooler.
    this is at least what we need a high-end reference card with stunning design and professional cooler like NVIDIA GTX 780 NOT a high-end reference card with stunning design and cheap ed up cooler like AMD R9 290X!

We have said previously if AMD Paid some of money to develop its own professional cooler for it is reference card that would have been much more popular card
    But surprised that some people still want to say that this is a good cooler and 95c is a normal temperature!

it is funny actually to watching people thinking like that....
    WOOOOOF

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast