Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hell hath frozen over! Movieman is on LINUX!

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    The sweater puppies, however, are a personal lifestyle choice.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    ou need someone who?s fierce like King Leonidas, yet kind like Santa Claus, you need, a man with a beard!
    Depending on who it was and what the problem was sometimes they got:

and some saw

Oracle DB admins wanting more sudo rights usually got:

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post

Oracle DB admins wanting more sudo rights usually got:

I very nearly did a minor in Database Administration, but have gone with Sys-admin major and Network engineering minor instead.

Also: shouldn't he have a beard?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Legend
    Dave's beard is starting well..... not so sure about the puppies

Not 38, 28. BUT the day isn't over yet! LOL. You may have to stay up late to see this one my friend!
    I'm stayin', I'm stayin', and waitin' for that 38..... or more

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    DB admin is a good field. But my heart and head was all about UNIX admin and networking. Being an a$$hole was a sideline.....

Linus is a kernel dev. They are "different".

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    DB admin is a good field. But my heart and head was all about UNIX admin and networking. Being an a$$hole was a sideline.....

Linus is a kernel dev. They are ... "different".
    Pause added for dramatic effect.

That is also the understatement of the century!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D_A View Post
    I very nearly did a minor in Database Administration, but have gone with Sys-admin major and Network engineering minor instead.

Also: shouldn't he have a beard?
    Linus Torvalds doesn't need a beard because he is more powerful than root.
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Xtreme Cruncher
    You should also study OS performance tuning, you are good at details and subtleties.

Linus... the dictionary of cursewords if you f something up xD

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo197 View Post
    Two words: Dual boot
    um... dual booting sucks. you have to shut the dayumed machine down! lol
    i've tried dual booting so many times in the past and having to restart is so annoying. i just leave my system on all the time. even now with this POS laptop, i rarely ever shut it down.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Jumping Jesus! What happenned to my thread?
    You guys know what a stickler I am for staying on topic!
    Oh, here, todays numbers for the "Wittle Beastie"
    Statistics
    Date Total Run Time(y:d:h:m:s) Points Generated Results Returned
    11/02/2013 0:043:01:41:04............ 280,791............. 965
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Jumping Jesus! What happenned to my thread?
    You guys know what a stickler I am for staying on topic!
    Oh, here, todays numbers for the "Wittle Beastie"
    Statistics
    Date Total Run Time(y:d:h:m:s) Points Generated Results Returned
    11/02/2013 0:043:01:41:04............ 280,791............. 965
    I think it's called ADD. Or maybe Alzheimers. Heck I can't remember..

Those numbers.

Grats.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Quote Originally Posted by Evantaur View Post
    Linus... the dictionary of cursewords if you f something up xD
    I wouldn't say that.

Dictionaries are full of old words and uses for them, Linus makes up new and novel combinations of both!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IFMU View Post
    um... dual booting sucks. you have to shut the dayumed machine down! lol
    i've tried dual booting so many times in the past and having to restart is so annoying. i just leave my system on all the time. even now with this POS laptop, i rarely ever shut it down.
    I made this recommendation based on my experience using Linux on a variety of boxes over they last 9 months.

The obvious and easiest thing from an installation and running standpoint would be to just use Linux on a hard drive. However that requires commitment of a hard drive(Ie. $) and time to fully learn the OS and find Linux based equivalents for things that said person is used to using on Windows(ie. time).

The next least painful option was dual boot, Why? Because if needed, one can always go back to Windows and do whatever you need to do there. It also saves on the number of hard drives needed. And the person I responded to seemed reluctant to give up Windows on those computers. This person could use Linux on those boxes he wasn't using for gaming or other Windows specific programs.

The more pain in the arse solution would be to have separate OS HD's in the same computer. However that's a pain from two standpoints, one you need to shut down the computer and then unplug one HD and plug one in. Also it requires more hard drives than dual boot.

But if you have a better idea, then by all means, go ahead and state it. Frankly I don't understand why restarting a computer is such an issue for an XS'er. But then again, I didn't understand the big kerfuffle over signature sizes either.
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Frankly I don't understand why restarting a computer is such an issue for an XS'er
    i can't even close tabs from my browser without feeling filthy :P

i have a rule that if it's not for gaming, it's running linux (tho i ahd to make an exception with my HTPC cause of commerical blu-rays being s)

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme crazy bastid
    In my case, if it's not a console it's running Linux. Console for play, PC for ... everything else.

Saves me a PACKET on video cards!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D_A View Post
    In my case, if it's not a console it's running Linux. Console for play, PC for ... everything else.

Saves me a PACKET on video cards!
    This is definitely one thing I need to learn soon. It would save all the HDMI switching and DVI, keyboard, and mouse cable shuffling.

Also, I'd be interested in knowing what Android app you use for remote monitoring your PC's.
    Desktop rigs:

Laptop:

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evantaur View Post
    i can't even close tabs from my browser without feeling filthy :P
    I'm afraid to ask.
    Desktop rigs:

Laptop:

true enough, not trying to bash the idea, overall it works great for most people, exactly for the reasons you've listed.
    it's just annoying to me to constantly reboot and all.

I made this recommendation based on my experience using Linux on a variety of boxes over they last 9 months.

The obvious and easiest thing from an installation and running standpoint would be to just use Linux on a hard drive. However that requires commitment of a hard drive(Ie. $) and time to fully learn the OS and find Linux based equivalents for things that said person is used to using on Windows(ie. time).

The next least painful option was dual boot, Why? Because if needed, one can always go back to Windows and do whatever you need to do there. It also saves on the number of hard drives needed. And the person I responded to seemed reluctant to give up Windows on those computers. This person could use Linux on those boxes he wasn't using for gaming or other Windows specific programs.

The more pain in the arse solution would be to have separate OS HD's in the same computer. However that's a pain from two standpoints, one you need to shut down the computer and then unplug one HD and plug one in. Also it requires more hard drives than dual boot.

But if you have a better idea, then by all means, go ahead and state it. Frankly I don't understand why restarting a computer is such an issue for an XS'er. But then again, I didn't understand the big kerfuffle over signature sizes either.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    This is definitely one thing I need to learn soon. It would save all the HDMI switching and DVI, keyboard, and mouse cable shuffling.

Also, I'd be interested in knowing what Android app you use for remote monitoring your PC's.
    ConnectBot. Lets me log in via SSH, telnet or local connection (haven't tried that one) and then I do what I want via the command line.
    There's a free BOINC monitoring app as well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Just passing 50K BOINC..30 hours to get here..
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

I knew there was a good reason I had a beard aside from laziness to shave in the morning!
    And I much prefer PC gaming. But I don't game a huge amount so my PC is crunching 99.9% of the time.
    And those numbers are crazy.

Did I miss anythi....SQUIRREL!!!
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I knew there was a good reason I had a beard aside from laziness to shave in the morning!
    And I much prefer PC gaming. But I don't game a huge amount so my PC is crunching 99.9% of the time.
    And those numbers are crazy.

Did I miss anythi....SQUIRREL!!!
    well, I got my 40K BOINC on day one so Old Chap is happy tonight! LOLOL
    God Bless his pointy little head!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Just passing 50K BOINC..30 hours to get here..
    Reminds me of this clip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cq7hf4ylvY
    Desktop rigs:

Laptop:

Xtreme Legend
    Jim, let me thank you again for your efforts in helping to make this happen.

Dave is right, I am smiling now that after all this time we are getting to see what these super cpu's are capable of in Linux.

I picture Dave with a big smile on his face even when placing second for the day against those bigger rigs.

My cunning plan and your hard work may yet make a convert of the old geezer, at least for crunching.

Now the only question to answer is: Will Dave get a Linux Beard?

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast