Thread: Need memory rec for some budget OCing.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Need memory rec for some budget OCing.

It has been a while since I've posted on this forum! Feels good. Getting back into more serious overclocking after a long hiatus (never got that Opteron 165 over 3.1!). Money is a bit tight and I'm doing this mostly for fun. A little out of the game so I'm hoping you folks can point me towards some good memory to play with.

Would like to avoid single sided, Hynix MFR sticks. Current newegg filter:

Size: 8GB (2x4GB)
    Speed: 2133+
    Cas: 9, 10
    Voltage: 1.5 - 1.65
    Cost: <$100

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nd&Pagesize=20

I was reading a lot of TaPaKaH‎'s threads but a lot of stuff in the "Interesting memory deals" thread is rated 1333-1600 and I'm not sure I want to take that big of a risk if those can't hit at least 2133. If I am off-base here, let me know.

Looking at the link I posted and referencing TaPaKaH's "DDR3 IC thread" thread:

• The GSkill F3-2133C9D-8GAB should be Hynix CFRs, right? Seems like those are kind of a risk but an option.
    • The Team TXD38G2400HC10QDC01 I assume are almost guaranteed Hynix MFRs. As much as I would enjoy silly high frequencies, I've been reading that those chips are clocking high but performing low.
    • I don't know what is on the Team TLAD38G2400HC10TDC01. The sticks do look pretty different.
    • G.SKILL Ripjaws Z F3-2400C10D-8GZH is probably Samsung B-rev? Do those even have any OC headroom?

Anything else in there look good for a bit of overclocking fun?
    Last edited by kuhla; 10-21-2013 at 03:20 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The 2400c10 GSkills all were Samsung, most likely D revision with good oc headroom, a few Kits were single sided B Sams, these usually opt out around 2500, maybe a bit above, no matter which timings. The Samsung Ds usually do at least 2666 cas 11, most of them 10. The Team Vulcan, I had kits for testing and was surprised these were Samsung as well, dual-sided, but if they still are, who knows. What would bring you on the safe side would be 2400c9 sticks, these are all Samsung D with good OC-potential, but might be above your budget, I do not know USA prices. On the 2133c9 GSkills you are right, these are most likely CFR and 2133 9-11-10 is not a bad bin for CFR. So no guarantees on ICs, but hope I could help a bit

pick this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820313322

Team Xtreem 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2666 (PC3 21300) Desktop Memory Model TXD38G2666HC11CDC01
    hynix MFR single side

new board comes with black PCB

best price/performance hynix MFR single side kit in market

woomack hit 3840mhz on air

http://hwbot.org/submission/2409750_...sdram_1920_mhz
    Last edited by varand; 10-21-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by websmile View Post
    The Team Vulcan, I had kits for testing and was surprised these were Samsung as well, dual-sided, but if they still are, who knows.
    Interesting. That almost tempts me to get the Team Vulcans and take a chance at what I get since they are priced pretty cheap.

What would bring you on the safe side would be 2400c9 sticks, these are all Samsung D with good OC-potential, but might be above your budget, I do not know USA prices.
    Hmm. This is pretty much the only 2400c9 newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231638
    It's a bit outside my budget and I don't want to let my budget slowly slide upwards (what is $5 more? what is $10 more? what is $5 more?) but I will make a note of that.

On the 2133c9 GSkills you are right, these are most likely CFR and 2133 9-11-10 is not a bad bin for CFR.
    I'm probably going to consider these the "safer" choice if I can't decide on a different kit.

So no guarantees on ICs
    It wouldn't be proper overclocking if it was guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by varand View Post
    pick this one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820313322
    Team Xtreem 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2666 (PC3 21300) Desktop Memory Model TXD38G2666HC11CDC01
    hynix MFR single side
    new board comes with black PCB
    best price/performance hynix MFR single side kit in market
    woomack hit 3840mhz on air http://hwbot.org/submission/2409750_...sdram_1920_mhz
    Hynix MFR single side do seem to get crazy clocks but they perform rather poorly from what I read which is why I'm trying to avoid them.

Xtreme Addict
    Go with the Trident X 2400C9. Seriously. It's just $10 more and will fit exactly what you are looking for.
    i7 4930K
    32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3-2400C10
    Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
    2x GeForce GTX 780
    Corsair AX1200
    Cooler Master HAF-X
    Dell U3011

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiranui Gen-An View Post
    Go with the Trident X 2400C9. Seriously. It's just $10 more and will fit exactly what you are looking for.
    That makes 2 votes for that kit so now I am very seriously considering it.

Question: The "heat spreader fin" (the red top part) is advertised as removable. Seeing as it just screws in/slides right off (can't be on too tight then) does it actually do much cooling? Do you think it will make much of a temp difference if I take it off?

No Kula with and without can't make a lot of difference. go with what shiranui said. TG was only one strong retail rest are all hand picked samples can go higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by LardArse View Post
    i think you are asking the wrong person about safety limits, but

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by hiwa View Post
    No Kula with and without can't make a lot of difference. go with what shiranui said. TG was only one strong retail rest are all hand picked samples can go higher.
    Done.

Just bought them: G.SKILL Trident X F3-2400C9D-8GTXD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231638

Thank you everyone.