Thread: WCG online prefs - boinc not listening.

Xtreme Member

WCG online prefs - boinc not listening.

I'm trying to get WCG to run on two threads to allow 2 POEM threads - 1 gpu 1 cpu, so the poem cpu tasks don't get sidelined until they hit high priority. I've got my home profile set to 50% cpu processors, as well as 2 cpu processors, my rig is set to home, and it stays at 3 threads. Set this up 2 days ago, still nothing.
    Any suggestions?
    App config won't work across multiple projects will it?
    Richland 6790K @ 4.713 Ghz / 2208 NB / 1123 gpu / 2304 Ram [96 Bclk]
    F2A85-M Pro, Mushkin Black 2133, iGPU (8760D)
    9.7L case (excluding 230mm fan) or 11.6L w/2nd rad fan

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeroon View Post
    I'm trying to get WCG to run on two threads to allow 2 POEM threads - 1 gpu 1 cpu, so the poem cpu tasks don't get sidelined until they hit high priority. I've got my home profile set to 50% cpu processors, as well as 2 cpu processors, my rig is set to home, and it stays at 3 threads. Set this up 2 days ago, still nothing.
    Any suggestions?
    App config won't work across multiple projects will it?
    App_config will work with as many projects as you care to run. You just have to place a properly configured app_config file in each project folder. Set your BOINC preferences to use all threads and use an app_config to set up how many threads you want to run GPU and CPU tasks.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Xtreme Member
    App_configs across individual projects won't really do what i want, since any shortage in one WU or the other and my core goes idle. And I really don't feel like micromanaging my boinc projects.

Xtreme Member
    Tell me what kind of CPU you have and exactly what you're trying to run and I'll try to help.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Xtreme Member
    3850 + 7770, doing poem gpu tasks + cpu tasks when i get them. Also have all wcg projects selected (CEP2, FAAH, the intermittent ones as well).
    What normally happens is WCG hogs all the extra cores until the poem cpu tasks hit high priority, it runs through all those, then WCG takes over until the next batch hits HP. I'd like to fit it so I'm not waiting till HP for all my poem cpu tasks, but cpu wise its so little that I'm not really wanting to spend a lot of time trying to fix a minor issue. Was mostly hoping someone knew a way to get WCG to follow its online settings.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I would pick a third project as backup and set the usage to 0 so it only kicks in if one of the other projects goes dry.

Xtreme Member
    Set POEM priority to 100% and WCG to 1%. That way the POEM tasks will take priority when you have both in your queue and they will run before they go HP. Copy and paste the code below into notepad. Rename it app_config.xml and place it into you POEM folder. This will give you 2 GPU tasks and 2 CPU tasks running concurrently. Depending on which version Of BOINC you're running you can go to advanced>read config files (version 7.0.55 or higher) and the changes will be made on the fly. If you're running a lower version you'll have to stop and restart the BOINC client. I'm not 100% sure I have the correct name for the CPU tasks in the app_config file because I don't run their CPU tasks. If this doesn't work correctly you'll have to look in the client.state.xml file to get the correct app name.

<app_config>
    <app>
    <name>poem</name>
    <max_concurrent>2</max_concurrent>
    </app>
    <app>
    <name>poemcl</name>
    <gpu_versions>
    <gpu_usage>0.50</gpu_usage>
    <cpu_usage>1.0</cpu_usage>
    </gpu_versions>
    </app>
    </app_config>

Xtreme Member
    I'll do that - with some tweaks. It seems the bottleneck for the poem gpu tasks isn't the same as with HCC tasks - they get worse ppd when you run more than 1 at a time - at least on my systems. I think it was mentioned elsewhere that theres a memory bottleneck (system), and that seems to fit.
    I'm on 7.2.7, so no problems updating on the go.
    Ok, it seems the poem cpu tasks are poempp. It also seems that with an app_config, it automatically gives 1 poem thread priority over any WCG threads, so the problem seems to have fixed itself there. Did not see that coming.
    Edit - had to drop wcg's priority as well.
    Last edited by Yeroon; 10-24-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeroon View Post
    I'll do that - with some tweaks. It seems the bottleneck for the poem gpu tasks isn't the same as with HCC tasks - they get worse ppd when you run more than 1 at a time - at least on my systems. I think it was mentioned elsewhere that theres a memory bottleneck (system), and that seems to fit.
    I'm on 7.2.7, so no problems updating on the go.
    Ok, it seems the poem cpu tasks are poempp. It also seems that with an app_config, it automatically gives 1 poem thread priority over any WCG threads, so the problem seems to have fixed itself there. Did not see that coming.
    Edit - had to drop wcg's priority as well.
    POEM GPU tasks suffer if you run even 1 CPU task at the same time on the same machine.

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, well it's not getting 4 cores for 1 gpu WU. No way. This method kinda faltered, WCG wouldn't send enough WU's to keep the 2 cores busy, so they sat idle while poem ran at 1 core. If i set priority higher, WCG took over the poem core as soon as the running WU finished. Basically, WCG isn't playing nice at all.
    My a10 did provide more gpu PPD then this 3850 does surprisingly, considering the shared module for the gpu WU.
    Anyways, back to no app-config, just pausing WCG overnight to let the poem wu's cycle. Not wasting any more trying to fix this. Maybe if I get more powerful hardware (in school, so highly unlikely).

Xtreme Member
    You could run 4 POEM tasks on your 7770 and rack up 500k+ PPD.

Xtreme Member
    Hmm, never tried that - I just tried 2 gpu / 1 cpu thing like HCC and saw ppd go down. Guess I'll try that now lol.