Thread: Windows 8.1 slowed SSD performance

Xtreme Guru

Windows 8.1 slowed SSD performance

Hey guys,

I was wondering if maybe any you had an idea as to why this could have happened, but I installed Windows 8.1 yesterday and noticed that in general every is faster, but on certain file transfers my data rates are terrible. Like less than 25 kbps terrible, and this never happened when I was in Windows 7. Perhaps I need a firmware update?

Ali
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Member
    Crucial M4 on MIVE-Z & Windows 7 x64 SP1

Crucial M4 on MIVE-Z & Windows 8.1 x64

During everyday use I didn't notice a difference (I mean, on Windows 7 it was fast, on Windows 8.1 it is still fast), but as you can see there is a drop in 4K QD32 on both read and write. Dunno if it's Windows 8.1 related or if it's because my SSD is 50% full and over 2 years old.

QUESTION: anyone did the Windows 8.1 disk optimization? What does it do?

Xtreme Guru
    I havent tested extensively with 8.1 yet, but I know someone who has He says it is much slower for sure.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme Member
    That would be me. Yes Win 8/8.1 is slower than win7 about 50MB/s slower with large transfers of about 30GB in size. Overall storage performance is not as good as win 7 from top to bottom and everywhere in between. Heres another thing Ive noticed at about 50% through a large transfer Win 8/8.1 drops way down from about 400mb/s or so to below a hundred for a while then jumps back up. Here is a direct comparison review of windows 7 and 8 performance I did right here: http://www.rwlabs.com/article.php?ca...2&pagenumber=1
    Look at page 10 diskbench chart this shows exactly what you are experiencing. If you look through RWL which will be hard because its not really organized well you will find many reviews that contain benches with win 7 and win 8 on the same drives.
    Last edited by B Gates; 10-21-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    ^ Interesting......thanks for your thoughts Bill G
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by B Gates View Post
    That would be me. Yes Win 8/8.1 is slower than win7 about 50MB/s slower with large transfers of about 30GB in size. Overall storage performance is not as good as win 7 from top to bottom and everywhere in between. Heres another thing Ive noticed at about 50% through a large transfer Win 8/8.1 drops way down from about 400mb/s or so to below a hundred for a while then jumps back up. Here is a direct comparison review of windows 7 and 8 performance I did right here: http://www.rwlabs.com/article.php?ca...2&pagenumber=1
    Look at page 10 diskbench chart this shows exactly what you are experiencing. If you look through RWL which will be hard because its not really organized well you will find many reviews that contain benches with win 7 and win 8 on the same drives.
    Ok so it's not just my setup then. I just don't understand how it can be much snappier than Windows 7 but considerably slower in large file transfers

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    Ok so it's not just my setup then. I just don't understand how it can be much snappier than Windows 7 but considerably slower in large file transfers
    What do you find to be snappier?

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by B Gates View Post
    What do you find to be snappier?
    Loading things in general feels quicker, and I've had no crashes due to using up all my memory thus far (8 gb ddr3 1600 MHZ) and I ran into that issue quite a bit doing the same stuff on Windows 7

.....}

Regards, Hans