Lol you beat me to it
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    G.Skill Trident X 2666 Cl10
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Xtreme Cruncher
    Is it just me, or is the discontinuity between X79 and X99 ominous? It's like it drops off the map entirely? Maybe that's a normal way to display roadmaps, but it seems weird to me...

Xtreme Addict
    I just hope 14nm turns out better than 22nm. 22nm made Intel improvement over their early product seem substandard for the enthusiast compared to their earlier efforts.

Ivy-bridge and haswell clock worse than their predecessors(particularly percentage wise). I just just hope the problems associated with going smaller, don't become even more pronounced at 14nm. If it does become worse, there won't be a point even buying K series processors anymore.

Intel is their own worst enemy now. AMD hasn't really competing with them for a while now and the lack of improvement's on their own side just doesn't give incentive to upgrade. If you have a Sandybridge, you have had no incentive to upgrade on the desktop platform at all(mobiles been a different story from the increases in GPU performance and better power consumption). Unless 14nm works out, I don't see broadwell bringing the performance either.

So does this mean waiting for skylake which is 2 years from now if we want a real incentive from Sandy bridge?

I think 14nm is what makes or breaks, CPU sales, if Intel architecture remains improving at the rate it has lately.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    I just hope 14nm turns out better than 22nm. 22nm made Intel improvement over their early product seem substandard for the enthusiast compared to their earlier efforts.

Ivy-bridge and haswell clock worse than their predecessors(particularly percentage wise). I just just hope the problems associated with going smaller, don't become even more pronounced at 14nm. If it does become worse, there won't be a point even buying K series processors anymore.

Intel is their own worst enemy now. AMD hasn't really competing with them for a while now and the lack of improvement's on their own side just doesn't give incentive to upgrade. If you have a Sandybridge, you have had no incentive to upgrade on the desktop platform at all(mobiles been a different story from the increases in GPU performance and better power consumption). Unless 14nm works out, I don't see broadwell bringing the performance either.

So does this mean waiting for skylake which is 2 years from now if we want a real incentive from Sandy bridge?

I think 14nm is what makes or breaks, CPU sales, if Intel architecture remains improving at the rate it has lately.
    I think we are at the point, or getting to the point of very little returns based on this architecture. A whole new design of the CPU itself maybe needed. I'm just not holding out, thinking the move to 14nm is going to yield anything new as far as a big leap in performance is concerned.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddMuppet View Post
    I think we are at the point, or getting to the point of very little returns based on this architecture. A whole new design of the CPU itself maybe needed. I'm just not holding out, thinking the move to 14nm is going to yield anything new as far as a big leap in performance is concerned.
    If they wanted they could go for more cores and a better design for cooling, which would allow higher clocks. That would already be a good upgrade.
    Asus Z87 Deluxe, 4770K,Noctua NH-D14, Crucial 16 GB DDR3-1600, Geforce Titan, ASUS DRW-24B3ST, Crucial M500 960GB, Crucial M4 256GB, 3 X Seagate 4TB, Lamptron FC5 V2 Fancontroller, Noctua Casefans, Antec P183 Black, Asus Essence STX, Corsair AX860i, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, Win7 Home Pro 64 bit + Win 8.1 Home 64 bit Dual boot, ASUS VG278H

I am Xtreme
    Just because it is LGA1150 doesn't mean current Z87 motherboards will support them.

Xtreme Mentor
    Broadwell LGA 1150 is Z97-only product AFAIK

Haswell refresh from what I understand will be compatible with Z97 but not current haswell processors.
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Xtreme Mentor
    You understand wrong.
    Just look the second picture (Haswell Refreh + Haswell + Broadwell)

Xtreme Member
    Seems like the way they have made this, I will not upgrade until Skylake. Intel does not want my money. I used to buy a new CPU every year.
    Asus Z87 Deluxe, 4770K,Noctua NH-D14, Crucial 16 GB DDR3-1600, Geforce Titan, ASUS DRW-24B3ST, Crucial M500 960GB, Crucial M4 256GB, 3 X Seagate 4TB, Lamptron FC5 V2 Fancontroller, Noctua Casefans, Antec P183 Black, Asus Essence STX, Corsair AX860i, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, Win7 Home Pro 64 bit + Win 8.1 Home 64 bit Dual boot, ASUS VG278H

Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post
    You understand wrong.
    Just look the second picture (Haswell Refreh + Haswell + Broadwell)
    Broadwell, the successor to Intel's current Haswell processors, is supposed to hit notebooks next year. It looks like desktop users will have to wait, though. Leaked slides suggest Broadwell won't be available in a desktop-friendly socket next year; instead, we'll supposedly have to make do with refreshed Haswell processors and an updated 9-series chipset.

Apart from its rumored SATA Express support, we haven't heard much about the 9-series platform. Now, however, documents published by VR-Zone indicate that the chipset will be compatible with Broadwell. They also suggest the 9-series platform may be incompatible with current Haswell chips. The excerpts detail pin assignments for motherboard makers, including several related to a new VCCST power supply. If Intel is changing how power is routed to the processor, backward compatibility may not be possible.

Tellingly, there's no mention of current-generation Haswell processors. The documents only make references to Broadwell and "Haswell Refresh."

Interestingly, the motherboard implementation guidelines specifically detail support for "Broadwell LGA H 2-chip LGA processors." H-series Haswell chips combine the processor die with a separate eDRAM chip on the same package. The embedded DRAM provides gobs of bandwidth for the CPU's integrated graphics, and it looks like Intel's plans for that tag team may extend to traditional desktop systems.

http://techreport.com/news/25275/9-s...d-haswell-cpus
    I had read several articles stating the same as this. If its wrong, its wrong. I wonder how the pin assignments changed, and how they designed to Z97 socket to support both current gen, and next gen if the second picture is accurate. Is that an official Intel document?
    Last edited by Ace123; 10-19-2013 at 05:18 PM.
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Xtreme Monster
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    Ivy-bridge and haswell clock worse than their predecessors(particularly percentage wise)
    "The Conroe architecture offered first-rate performance and very reasonable power consumption, but it was far from perfect. Admittedly, the conditions under which it was developed weren't ideal. When Intel realized its Pentium 4 was a dead-end, it had to reinvent an architecture in a hurry, something that's far from easy for a company the size of Intel. The team of engineers in Haifa, Israel that, up until then had had responsibility for mobile architectures, was suddenly responsible for providing a design that would power the entire new line of Intel processors. It was a challenging task for the team, which now bore Intel's future on its shoulders. Given those conditions, with the tight schedule they had to stick to and the pressure they were under, the results that the Intel engineers achieved are remarkable. The situation also explains why the team had to make some compromises."

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...-cpu,2041.html
    Last edited by Metroid; 10-19-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Intel is a joke. If they wanted, they could sell 30+ cores cpu for mainstream at the price they are selling their 6 cores right now... but they don't cause they have no competition. I wish another company would come out of nowhere and make Intel cry for their mommies.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by vitchilo View Post
    Intel is a joke. If they wanted, they could sell 30+ cores cpu for mainstream at the price they are selling their 6 cores right now... but they don't cause they have no competition. I wish another company would come out of nowhere and make Intel cry for their mommies.
    Intel is a business.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Intel is a business.
    They're sabotaging their own market though. They ceased providing meaningful updates to hardware for years on end then cry when consumers buy mobile devices that are constantly doubling in performance almost yearly.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by lizardmech View Post
    They're sabotaging their own market though. They ceased providing meaningful updates to hardware for years on end then cry when consumers buy mobile devices that are constantly doubling in performance almost yearly.
    you can easly "double your performances" from nearly zero, mobile devices will hit the same wall as normal cpus, and even faster then the others did, because they are even more constraint by power then normal cpus.

Xtreme Mentor
    Oh new mobo again (Both intel and amd)
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I know intel is a business, but greed is not always good.I would buy intel today, if they would throw me a bone or some cores .How in the right mind i can recommend people with nehalems or sandybridge to "upgrade" ?
    Throw some money at intel in order to achieve almost the same performance ?Eghm.Nowadays i only recommend SSD`s, ram ,and GPU`s.

Maybe someone knows, will broadwells for 1150 have 6-more cores ?Or is it still the same damn thing.
    Last edited by vario; 10-22-2013 at 10:33 AM.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by lizardmech View Post
    The move to mobile had nothing to do with intel. Once laptops became good enough if the desktop was as done as snail mail and the fax. The closer tablets and smartphones get to good enough the more done laptops will be. That's a failure of form factors with consumers moving to smaller ones because that's the future. People don't want to check email, use facebook, and do most of their computing on a desktop when they can do it on a mobile. No amount of performance from intel is going to change this.

Now creating a really amazing mobile chip, that makes more sense for them.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +