Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA announces GeForce GTX Holiday Bundle

Xtreme Cruncher
    Frankly, if this actually works as is suggested, this is a great thing. I'm looking forward to seeing this in action, and would even like to know how much "modding" is required for the ASUS monitor in question. How is this in any way bad? Open standards are great in some cases, but this is a hardware solution; if it's important enough to the market, AMD will figure out it's own solution.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by xVeinx View Post
    Frankly, if this actually works as is suggested, this is a great thing. I'm looking forward to seeing this in action, and would even like to know how much "modding" is required for the ASUS monitor in question. How is this in any way bad? Open standards are great in some cases, but this is a hardware solution; if it's important enough to the market, AMD will figure out it's own solution.
    Because then you have two competing solutions with their own partners that have specific products/lines that support it and will never see widespread adoption.
    The very same reason that all three hope Mantle doesn't create, they turn a blind eye to it regarding G-sync.

I believe Nvidia said you only need a Phillips screwdriver for modding that specific ASUS monitor.
    Last edited by LordEC911; 10-19-2013 at 10:58 AM.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post
    Not. Carmack doesn't believe in Mantle and Sweeney too. You mix up with Johan Anderson from DICE.
    I actually said "not" at the end of the sentence you know . Was being sarcastic about Carmack he's on nvidia's payroll.
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Guru
    Once you see G-Sync in action, you'll be hooked. I was blown away and I'm a pretty jaded gamer.

fcuk g-sync, give me 24/30" 2560x1600 displays with 120hz or lightboost, hell its about time.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kersh View Post
    fcuk g-sync, give me 24/30" 2560x1600 displays with 120hz or lightboost, hell its about time.
    This. But no TN crap please
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Kersh View Post
    I'd be happy w/ 1920x1080 IPS w/ G-Sync + Lightboost. We don't even know yet if Lightboost will work w/ G-Sync.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    If AMD would have taken a different approach with it, yes I may have been more positive about it.
    I certainly wouldn't have called it revolutionary.
    I don't think so.
    All the report I saw on the subject tend to the same direction : it's a game changer for pc gaming.
    Some says that even with Mantle activated, AMD cannot compete with such a smoothness experience.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    I'd be happy w/ 1920x1080 IPS w/ G-Sync + Lightboost. We don't even know yet if Lightboost will work w/ G-Sync.
    Well blurbusters already said for it's an either or situation for now. You can't have gysnc and lightboost active simultaneously but this doesn't mean gsync tech isn't useful at improving lightboost. Mrdjohn said lightboost activated on a display with a gsync board will be better than lightboost on the same monitor without gsync.

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Because the Kepler architecture integrates an output clock generator for the monitor, something Fermi didn't.

G-Sync will only be compatible with G-Sync enabled monitors. At this point though, pretty much every major gaming monitor manufacturer is behind it.
    If you can control the sync rate of the monitor in windows then why do you need kepler or a specific monitor? Just need a driver to dynamically control the sync rate is all..

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

tajoh111 vs LordEC911
    I endorse different views on every subject, but the argument needs to be centered on the topic. We all feel strongly about some subjects, and often disagree with another point of view, but there is no room here for personal arguments. They cause the thread to derail, and often make the discussion ackward to continue for some people, or encourage the behavior for other/newer users.
    I encourage either of you two, to msg me or another moderator if you feel any wrong doing or attacked, and the matter will be adressed.
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    G.Skill Trident X 2666 Cl10
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Xtreme Mentor
    Some says that even with Mantle activated, AMD cannot compete with such a smoothness experience.
    mantle is for giving more performance so it may lead to more realistic graphics and it doesn't promise smoothness. gsync is for giving smoothness which will increase quality of the gameplay but it doesn't promise performance or more realistic graphics.

so making a comparison like you wrote is just stating the fact with manipulating people.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Mentor
    It's all about gaming experience. Having a "Uber" performant card is cool but if you have stutter/tearing & Co, choice is quickly made.

Xtreme Mentor
    It's all about gaming experience. Having a "Uber" performant card is cool but if you have stutter/tearing & Co, choice is quickly made.
    too quick imo . yes smooth gaming and gaming quality is important especially at competitive online games but we can easily choose more realistic graphics over smoothness in 3rd person games like dead space or many others. also if mantle gives good performance enough to run games at better detail with 60fps steady then smoothness will not be a problem. also this refresh rate may vary 60fps 60hz is just for example. both are preferable but depends on game imo. also IF mantle succeed it would be easier for amd to adapt something like gsync then nvidia something like mantle.

at the end i want all to be open and play mantle games with gsync.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post

Yeah, that will the top but I believe it's a wet dream for the moment

too quick imo . yes smooth gaming and gaming quality is important especially at competitive online games but we can easily choose more realistic graphics over smoothness in 3rd person games like dead space or many others. also if mantle gives good performance enough to run games at better detail with 60fps steady then smoothness will not be a problem. also this refresh rate may vary 60fps 60hz is just for example. both are preferable but depends on game imo. also IF mantle succeed it would be easier for amd to adapt something like gsync then nvidia something like mantle.
    G-Sync makes sense when you're at a level that makes fps is not super fluid in conventional conditions, typically when you are between 40 and 60 fps. Of course if you turn 100 fps on a 120 Hz screen it's quite good. You will have a tear in frame without vsync, it is often acceptable. Nevertheless it will be even better with g-sync. And it feels more than what we can not imagine.
    From Damien Triolet, Hardware.fr

Antother video but recorded with 120fps camera played in slow mode (25%) :

Last edited by Olivon; 10-20-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    I know it is a dream but who knows...

Yes damien is right but 60 fps solid at 60hz or 100fps at 100hz or 120fps with 120hz will be same with gsync because gsync will run exactly the same.

Sent from my SM-N9000Q using Tapatalk

Xtremely Kool
    Antother video but recorded with 120fps camera played in slow mode (25%)
    Wheres a video showing V-sync Vs G-sync ?

Xtreme Addict
    why would you want that? vsync is either 15, 30 or 60 fps synced, gsync is x fps synced.
    Are we there yet?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
    This. But no TN crap please
    2x this comment. I won't bother with anything unless the panel quality is good to start with. TN only? Sorry, try again.

What? My gaming experience is better than ever with a 21:9 IPS monitor, thanks. I will not trade IPS quality panels for G-Sync, 144hz or any other similar tech. I simply won't, specially since I HATE vsync with passion... and I'd bet that G-sync causes input-lag, something I can't stand at all.

At competitive gaming v-sync and g-sync are totally pointless, since you run your computers at lowest possible resolution and tearing and other things simply won't matter. On the other hand, the lag v-sync and (to a lesser extend) g-sync will cause are no-brainers: you simply will NEVER EVER use them.

By the way, you don't seem to understand this tech at all because, precisely, G-sync isn't a trade-off between graphics AND smoothness, the only thing you will trade is some minor input lag compared to running no-sync at all. If you like v-sync this tech is TERRIFIC, since you get all the benefits of v-sync, but less input lag and no stutter (stutter is caused when framerate goes lower than it should. Aka, it goes lower than 60fps on 60hz). Which means that you don't need to aim for 60fps (the "magic" figure for v-sync users), since any framerate will do.

I know it is a dream but who knows...

Yes damien is right but 60 fps solid at 60hz or 100fps at 100hz or 120fps with 120hz will be same with gsync because gsync will run exactly the same.

Sent from my SM-N9000Q using Tapatalk
    Nope. Framerates are NEVER static, nor steady. They are a huge flow of data that changes all the time. A computer will get 60fps steady when it can get 100+ fps on average. How easy is that? Its not.

---

But still, this g-sync will have some downsides. Stutter ain't reduced at all, since stutter is caused at the VGA level, and not at the screen-vga sync. If your gpu dips for 30 ms, you will eat that dip, too.

Sure its miles better than vsync, and vsync users will be happy... BUT:

a) I bet its TN-only (which is a no-no for a lot of us. I tried 120hz TN panels and they look so crappy compared to an IPS that I won't touch them no matter what).
    b) Only improves v-sync usage (due to input lag).
    c) Doesn't really remove stutter caused by gpu.
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    im sure bill gates has always wanted OLED Toilet Paper wipe his butt with steve jobs talking about ipad..
    Mini-review: Q6600 vs i5 2500K. Gpu scaling on games.

Xtreme Mentor
    in competitive game play v-sync may not be important but if you look what gsync does it is very important. yes there will be lag but i believe players will choose smoothness over this lag because it will give more advantage then it loosed from lag.

Where did i write gsync is a trade off between graphics and smoothness??? i said mantle is promising performance increase, gsync promise smoothness so you can't compare them directly. that is all i said believe me i am innocent .

i know frame rates are not static because of that i wrote 60 fps solid. it is hard to obtain of course but we are talking about mantle in theory.

Xtremely Kool
    Guru3D - NVIDIA G-SYNC Overview - Shaky Cam Voice over is Tom Petersen from NV

Xtreme Addict
    It appears Nvidia invited the owner of Overlord Monitors to their office to show/talk about GSync before it was Gsync.
    Supposedly they haven't actual made any sort of agreement but it appears that Nvidia will be offering the tech to them eventually, after ASUS and other large partners have been satisfied.

If they can get the price down to ~$100 for the card/mod, I could see them moving quite a few Tempest at $600-$700.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm actually a bit excited about the whole G'Sync concept...

A step forward is a step forward. It's something that'll automatically be supported if you have a card and the monitor, no need for special coding by developers, it will just plain work. Improvements on that level are always a plus, and in all honesty this really shouldn't hold back your frame-rate unless you way over-shoot the maximum refresh rate on your monitor. I actually like the idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

Administrator
    Can we please stay on topic in this thread.

No more personal attacks or insults also.

Xtreme Addict
    DilTech, same here. I'm looking forward to being able to buy a G-Sync panel at some point similar to my PLS X-Star DP2710 @ 110hz. 1920x1080 TN is a non-starter for me but once they scale it up to these types of panels, game on! They said they'll be releasing ones all the way up through 4K resolution, so... I'm sure we'll see them sometime next year or so. For now I'm OK with waiting knowing it's coming.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast