Thread: Forceware 162.65 WHQL display settings gone?!

Question Forceware 162.65 WHQL display settings gone?!

For the second time on a fresh Windows 2000 SP4 install I tried install the Forceware 162.65 WHQL drivers. (Opteron 148, PNY 8600 GT - so the older drivers the better) The drivers itself work well, no question about it, however the settings are GONE FOREVER if I disable the icon in the taskbar.

I don't need and want to the icon be there, so I always disable it. And then the display options miss all the whole settings...!!!

And no, no way in hell clicking on the button bring them back. Nothing happens when I click on the button! It is just not working anymore!

Drivers continue to work:

...but I can't change the settings at all! This is very flustrating. Anyone know about some older good drivers that can handle 8600 GT and do work, instead of these WHQL fails...?

Or is there a way to fix this???
    Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.

Smile

So, guys, fixed!

First at all, I used the Forceware 162.67 - and then I did not even touch the icon. What I did, was to end in the services the nVidia help service (from auto to manual for starting it) and then in StartupControlPannel I deleted all the nVidia added crap. On reboot, then icon was gone and the controll pannel still worked, when I click on it, then these prefs appear!

Hoooray!

...now why my POV 8600GT slow down to 1 frame per 10 sec after several hours of Quake 2 demo... (let's hope for just bad cooling spot, lol... caps are already exchanged on the little small cardie...)
    Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.