Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [fudzilla] Nvidia spends 5 million on Ubisoft deal

Xtremely Kool

[fudzilla] Nvidia spends 5 million on Ubisoft deal

Assassin?s Creed 5 and Watch Dogs
    Nvidia has close ties with Ubisoft and every now and then it tries to voice its support for 4K gaming.

We do know that Nvidia already has some Assassin?s creed demos with 4K textures that are supposed to look amazing as Nvidia agrees with AMD thinking that future of gaming is in 4K gaming.

Our industry sources now tell us that it?s just AMD spending serious bucks on the Battlefield 4 deal. It turns out that the guys behind The way it?s meant to be played and Nvidia ISV (independent software vendor) relationship have spent about $5 million on their Ubisoft deal.

It involves two games, Assassins Creed 5 and Watch Dogs and our sources tell us that AMD was looking into a similar deal with Ubisoft, but it walked away simply as they believed that spending a similar or slightly higher amount on an AAA shooter like Battlefield 4 was a better deal ? plus BF4 is the first game to support AMD?s new Mantle API, so it just made more sense.

The PC game industry cannot be happier, as two top companies are competing for attention, practically courting developer and publishers.
    http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/32...n-ubisoft-deal

Xtreme Addict
    Well we know who won't be using Mantle...
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Guru
    I love competition. AMD sank millions into their ISV program, beating NVIDIA to several big titles. Now it's NVIDIA's turn. To me, this situation will only benefit PC users since we'll (hopefully) see better ports and enhanced graphics.

Xtreme Mentor
    Yes
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

While in the immediate future, it benefits us all, long term it may harm the games industry.
    like with the batman series and PhysX for example. the game simply doesn't look anywhere near as nice without it.
    that sort of thing concerns me
    Bring on the motorbikes!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    I love competition. AMD sank millions into their ISV program, beating NVIDIA to several big titles. Now it's NVIDIA's turn. To me, this situation will only benefit PC users since we'll (hopefully) see better ports and enhanced graphics.
    I disagree, the money they spend on these programs is recaptured by raising the price of video cards.

The second problem is no matter which card you choose, only half of the new games will be optimized for it. Are we supposed to buy two video cards?

The third problem is discussion of UHD resolution. It's going to be several years before these monitors are affordable for poor people which will fragment the pc market and drive people towards more affordable platforms like consoles.
    i5 750 @ 4.2ghz
    EVGA P55 FTW
    8gig G.Skill Ripjaw @ 1055mhz
    Gigabyte 6950 modded
    Seasonic X-650
    Antec P180 modded and watercooled
    Thermochill PA160
    Apogee XT
    MCP350

I am Xtreme
    Meh, I refuse to play Ubisoft games anyways due to their awful required UPlay software.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Uplay is not that bad
    Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.6ghz| Corsair H100i | MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming Edition | 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 2.4GHZ | eVGA GTX 780 | Creative Sound Blaster ZxR | Samsung 500GB SSD/4TB Storage | LG 14X BLu-Ray Burner | Corsair HX1050 | Corsair Air 540 | Asus VG248QE 144HZ Monitor

I am Xtreme
    Battlefield 4 sounds like a better investment than these two.

But then again, both AC5 and BF4 are iterative rehashes of same old thing...
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by RVWinkle View Post
    I disagree, the money they spend on these programs is recaptured by raising the price of video cards.

The second problem is no matter which card you choose, only half of the new games will be optimized for it. Are we supposed to buy two video cards?

The third problem is discussion of UHD resolution. It's going to be several years before these monitors are affordable for poor people which will fragment the pc market and drive people towards more affordable platforms like consoles.
    IMO, UHD is simply a marketing tool at this point. Much like stereoscopic was three years ago. Plus, the monitor technology is so immature that tiling is needed to achieve a passable experience. No thanks. UHD will only be viable once single input HDMI 2.0 panels are widely available which will drive down the cost significantly. Until then, I'll avoid it like the plague.

As for the price of video cards, I find that now, more than ever, you can achieve an excellent gameplay experience on a $300 graphics card. Four, five years ago that wasn't possible. To me, that makes PC gaming more affordable since better technology is now available in lower price points.

Xtreme Addict
    IMO, UHD is simply a marketing tool at this point. Much like stereoscopic was three years ago. Plus, the monitor technology is so immature that tiling is needed to achieve a passable experience. No thanks. UHD will only be viable once single input HDMI 2.0 panels are widely available which will drive down the cost significantly. Until then, I'll avoid it like the plague.

As for the price of video cards, I find that now, more than ever, you can achieve an excellent gameplay experience on a $300 graphics card. Four, five years ago that wasn't possible. To me, that makes PC gaming more affordable since better technology is now available in lower price points.
    I'm extremely happy with my 22" display still, means my framerates are still high without any of this 4K business.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

NooB MOD
    Quote Originally Posted by himaro View Post
    While in the immediate future, it benefits us all, long term it may harm the games industry.
    like with the batman series and PhysX for example. the game simply doesn't look anywhere near as nice without it.
    that sort of thing concerns me
    You can't knock NVIDIA for that. Without their input, NOBODY would have the graphical niceties. People are very quick to forget PhysX isn't an effect disabled on AMD graphics cards, but rather something ADDED for NVIDIA users.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    I dislike this almost "purely marketing" and viral approach both manufacturers are taking.
    I'd rather have both sending early E.S. to all major ( and minor why not, they're supporting crappy reviews sites, why not support some people who actually produce something other than crappy reviews bulling the readers with big fat lies and not pointing out any product weaknesses in order to not gamble on getting on the manufacturer's black list ) game developers, and send some soft. engineers as well to assist in game engine optimization for their cards.

Cheaper for AMD/nVIDIA, better for the public ( no half-as$ed optimizations for one manuf., no dirty tricks ).

If only... wishful thinking for our crappy society...
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Mentor
    Yes sir, I agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Battlefield 4 sounds like a better investment than these two.

But then again, both AC5 and BF4 are iterative rehashes of same old thing...
    I agree, I've seen quite a few threads with people commenting on buying hardware specifically with BF3 in mind.
    Last edited by BababooeyHTJ; 10-02-2013 at 11:54 AM.

I started my new build mainly because of bf4. I loved bf2 and when I heard commander was back I got excited.
    asus p5q pro p45
    e8400 @ 3.6
    g.skill 4 x 2 gb ddr2 1066
    gigabtye 4850

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
    Yes sir, I agree with that.

I agree, I've seen quite a few threads with people commenting on buying hardware specifically with BF3 in mind.
    First person shooters are the best games to invest in. FPS are the most competitive games out there and typically the most graphic intensive.

People rationalize high end hardware thinking fast hardware will give them higher FPS and make them better games.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Member
    I love the Far Cry series... AMD has always had enough brute force to make up for lack of optimizations. Remember though, Dice's BF4 is going to be a lot bigger than anything Ubisoft currently has to offer.
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --MSI R7970 3GB @1150, 1500 cooled with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme--
    --G.SKILL Ripjaws @2400 MHz --
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --128 GB Sandisk UltraPlus is was only $59 new! Seagate 1TB HD--
    --Samsung S23A750D 120Hz monitor--
    --Razer Tarantula-- keyboard, yes it is like 8 years old!
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

Xtreme Member
    Umm.. so the deal was to use 4K textures(useless), add the TWIMTBP logo(useless) and PhysX ? Or does nV have some specific new technology akin to Mantle ?

PS : I know the sales wouldn't line up but WatchDogs looks far more interesting than a rinse-repeat like BF4
    Va fail, dh'oine.

"I am going to hunt down people who have strong opinions on subjects they dont understand " - Dogbert

Always rooting for the underdog ...

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    First person shooters are the best games to invest in. FPS are the most competitive games out there and typically the most graphic intensive.

People rationalize high end hardware thinking fast hardware will give them higher FPS and make them better games.
    Not sure if you're trying to make a joke here..

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tao~ View Post
    Umm.. so the deal was to use 4K textures(useless), add the TWIMTBP logo(useless) and PhysX ? Or does nV have some specific new technology akin to Mantle ?

PS : I know the sales wouldn't line up but WatchDogs looks far more interesting than a rinse-repeat like BF4
    I concur, Watch dogs seems more likely to bring something new to gaming than another BF. I pass on the BF but get Watch dogs for sure.

Xtreme Member
    Nobody said which game would bring more new to the game arena, the only think somebody said was that supporting BF4 makes more sense. He is right, seeing the sale numbers of BF3, this makes sense in business point of view and nobody care which brings more new to the game.

Xtreme Member
    I don't know if this was such a smart move from Nvidia. Yeah AC5, Watch Dogs and BF4 area all 3 great looking games. And I know several people who upgraded their HW for BF3, and even a few for BF4. I do not know anybody upgrading for AC5 or Watch Dogs. I think AMD made the right move on this one.
    Asus Z87 Deluxe, 4770K,Noctua NH-D14, Crucial 16 GB DDR3-1600, Geforce Titan, ASUS DRW-24B3ST, Crucial M500 960GB, Crucial M4 256GB, 3 X Seagate 4TB, Lamptron FC5 V2 Fancontroller, Noctua Casefans, Antec P183 Black, Asus Essence STX, Corsair AX860i, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, Win7 Home Pro 64 bit + Win 8.1 Home 64 bit Dual boot, ASUS VG278H

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Tao~ View Post
    Or does nV have some specific new technology akin to Mantle ?
    They have NVAPI (impossible to tell whether one is better than the other right now, and both companies can expand their API if they wish to do so).
    Although I think both of these are extremely overhyped by people who have no clue.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    They have NVAPI (impossible to tell whether one is better than the other right now, and both companies can expand their API if they wish to do so).
    Although I think both of these are extremely overhyped by people who have no clue.
    I checked their website - it seems nV has put this on suspends mode - no updates since April and supports only Windows. It has no specific mention of how it can be used to elevate performance - seems very generic (which is both good and bad). You're right - a lot of scope for expansion - nVapi 2.0 might be in the works

From what I gather its not about specific games - its about pushing the workloads. I'm sure nV and AMD would also be working with display manufacturers to get cheaper 4K panels to the market. The threat is the increasing power of iGPU - it is already satisfactory for 720p.
    Va fail, dh'oine.

"I am going to hunt down people who have strong opinions on subjects they dont understand " - Dogbert

Always rooting for the underdog ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast