Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD proprietary API: Mantle

c[_]
    mantle doesnt remove tesselation, it just calls it something different if that even.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post
    This one is much more interesting.

Xtreme Member
    i5 2500K (L041C124) @ 5GHz + Scythe Mugen 2 rev. B | ASRock P67 Extreme4 B3 UEFI L3.19 | ADATA 2x4GB DDR3 1600 | MSI Radeon RX 470 4GB | 2x Crucial m4 64GB SSD RAID 0, Seagate 7200.12 500GB, Samsung F4 EG 2TB | 24" HP LP2475w | EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W | Fractal Design Define R3 | Windows 10 64 bit

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by radier View Post
    Did he actually answer the question? How the API would be different from other proprietary, slowly dying (or already died) APIs (such as Glide)?
    Last edited by kl0012; 09-30-2013 at 02:46 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroikenshi View Post
    ^^ not all of them fall...
    some other decide to get very fat, rich, and never release the third instalment of half life..
    Made me laugh, thanks!
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Pure Nvidia troll didn't expect much from him anyway he will die with his beloved OpenGl thats for sure
    Quote Originally Posted by LesGrossman View Post
    So for the last 3 months Nvidia talked about Uniengine and then Uniengine and more Uniengine and finally Uniengine. And then takes the best 5 seconds from all the benchmark run, makes a graph and then proudly shows it everywhere.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by eric66 View Post
    Pure Nvidia troll didn't expect much from him anyway he will die with his beloved OpenGl thats for sure
    Crap like this makes me think back to some of the rude stuff I've posted before...

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    Crap like this makes me think back to some of the rude stuff I've posted before...
    Same here.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Maybe cause there is no Gaming Evolved dollars flowing in for him??
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Member
    one of the first things i thought of when i read this was that there might be some really good AMD 'drivers'? coming to linux...
    3570K @ 4.5GHz w/ EK Supreme HF
    ASUS MAXIMUS V GENE
    MSI OC 7970 w/ XSPC razor
    8GB DDR3 1600
    64 GB SSD & 2 TB HDD
    Fractal design Arc Midi w/ internal 3x140 SR1 rad

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Made me laugh, thanks!
    any time,
    この世界には 人の運命を司る 何らかの超越的な 〝律〝...... 〝神の手〝が 存在するのだろうか? 少なくとも 人は 自らの意志さえ 自由にはできな

Xtreme Member
    Mantle seems to be directed at consoles with their pathetic Jaguar-cores where the CPU overhead may kill performance. This should allow devs to extract higher performance than those small GPUs can provide (they are using a Bonaire for heaven's sake)
    For PC the benefits seem not obvious - can somebody explain how this will alleviate bottlenecks when people have PCIe 3 and Haswell ?
    Va fail, dh'oine.

"I am going to hunt down people who have strong opinions on subjects they dont understand " - Dogbert

Always rooting for the underdog ...

Xtreme Mentor

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Tao~ View Post
    Mantle seems to be directed at consoles with their pathetic Jaguar-cores where the CPU overhead may kill performance. This should allow devs to extract higher performance than those small GPUs can provide (they are using a Bonaire for heaven's sake)
    For PC the benefits seem not obvious - can somebody explain how this will alleviate bottlenecks when people have PCIe 3 and Haswell ?
    Hmmmm...where to start.

First and foremost, Mantle isn't about adding resources, it is primarily about using existing resources more efficiently. That's one of the cornerstones of console design. Porting that concept to the PC

So, how does it eliminate bottlenecks? By giving a game engine direct or at least better control over how those resources are allocated. In the past, a game engine would have to process its requests through a driver stack, run through the associated API, parse calculations through a complex maze of CPU and memory requests and then finally get data back.

All of that was high-level in nature while Mantle brings it down to a lower, close to metal level where the game's engine acts as the primary resource allocator. In addition to that, Mantle includes a very thin driver layer which interacts directly with the hardware which makes the whole development and implementation process much more efficient.

Something else people need to realize is that Mantle will (supposedly) incorporate native support for every single DirectX feature through its implementation of the DirectX HLSL. Nothing is stopping developers from still utilizing DirectX / Direct3D as a high level API while Mantle could be used as a low-level facilitator.

Unfortunately, most Mantle info will only be released until November.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Hmmmm...where to start.

First and foremost, Mantle isn't about adding resources, it is primarily about using existing resources more efficiently. That's one of the cornerstones of console design. Porting that concept to the PC

So, how does it eliminate bottlenecks? By giving a game engine direct or at least better control over how those resources are allocated. In the past, a game engine would have to process its requests through a driver stack, run through the associated API, parse calculations through a complex maze of CPU and memory requests and then finally get data back.

All of that was high-level in nature while Mantle brings it down to a lower, close to metal level where the game's engine acts as the primary resource allocator. In addition to that, Mantle includes a very thin driver layer which interacts directly with the hardware which makes the whole development and implementation process much more efficient.
    Unfortunately higher performance comes on expense of compatibility. AMD now uses its strong position on console market in order to push "console" approach into PC space but this is very dangerous way. No one cares about backward/forward compatibility on consoles. But what's going to happen when AMD decide to release a new GPU architecture? Will it be compatible with Mantle? What about other GPU vendors on the market? Should they provide their own implementations of low level APIs?

Something else people need to realize is that Mantle will (supposedly) incorporate native support for every single DirectX feature through its implementation of the DirectX HLSL. Nothing is stopping developers from still utilizing DirectX / Direct3D as a high level API while Mantle could be used as a low-level facilitator.
    Mantle does not support DirectX. GCN architecture does. You can use Mantle, or DirectX, or both APIs together (probably), but it's not like you can utilizing DirectX by using Mantle.

Unfortunately, most Mantle info will only be released until November.
    True.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kl0012 View Post
    Unfortunately higher performance comes on expense of compatibility. AMD now uses its strong position on console market in order to push "console" approach into PC space but this is very dangerous way. No one cares about backward/forward compatibility on consoles. But what's going to happen when AMD decide to release a new GPU architecture? Will it be compatible with Mantle? What about other GPU vendors on the market? Should they provide their own implementations of low level APIs?
    It's all about software / hardware hooks. Provided those same hooks and low level feature sets are carried over into subsequent versions of the GCN architecture or future evolutions thereof, Mantle will have continued support.

Mantle does not support DirectX. GCN architecture does. You can use Mantle, or DirectX, or both APIs together (probably), but it's not like you can utilizing DirectX by using Mantle.
    I think you may have misinterpreted my comment. Native feature level support does not mean DirectX is included "within" Mantle. My point is that Mantle will have compatibility with DirectX features so it's not like specific rendering methods or AA algorithms will be pushed aside. Through HLSL, they can be implemented in Mantle, though how well no one really knows.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    It's all about software / hardware hooks. Provided those same hooks and low level feature sets are carried over into subsequent versions of the GCN architecture or future evolutions thereof, Mantle will have continued support.
    This. If It catches on well, AMD would be shooting themselves in the foot by not continuing the support for it.

BUT, even if they did drop it, that won't make stuff stop working as the software will the revert to the high level API stuff that would be necessary to run on other hardware already (older AMD cards, or nvidia cards, etc).
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    They give them the benefit of saving time, which is money to a dev, while offering extra support.
    Cash isn't changing hands...

AMD spent millions on Battlefield 4 deal - Fudzilla

The deal that is said to be worth between $5 million and $8 million will give AMD a new "face" in the eyes of gamers and with very good Hawaii R9 and R7 cards to launch just in time for the game, this has a chance to become quite successful PR stunt for AMD.

Xtreme Guru
    If it truly benefits AMD Radeon users, it isn't a PR stunt.

Xtreme Addict
    their multiple source is Nvidia ?

I dont think Dice have any "exclusivity" on Mantle. Secondly, AMD and many other games developpers are working on Mantle since ~ 2-3years... ( in general if someone want exclusive access to something, this the guy who want this exclusivity who pay for it )

I ask me how much on thoses millions are R&D money put on the table from AMD for both their work and the work of Dice developpers on Mantle. Then we are on standard deal between games developpers in the Game Evolved program. ( including the bundles and other deals )
    Last edited by Lanek; 10-01-2013 at 12:17 PM.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Addict
    I was talking specifically about Mantle, the deal was for AMD exclusivity for all the engine tech/demos, bundling deal and marketing.
    Even then, I doubt it was a cash deal.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Addict
    By definition PR is promotion without investment, if it requires investment it is simply Marketing.
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Mentor
    would be cool if Mantle was able to somehow leverage Kaveri HSA/HUMA features with the on board gpu for low level stuff to feed a R9-290x.
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

Quote Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
    This one is much more interesting.

Considering MS is a partner in Mantle, I doubt it.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AbortRetryFail? View Post
    Considering MS is a partner in Mantle, I doubt it.
    Same for Sony, as it will be on the APU13 and the presentation of Mantle this next november.

I think we miss many information about what happend yet between MS and AMD... ( who is the only one who provide new features for DX anyway since DX10. for what i heard from developpers, MS is tired of taking care of the support of D3D ( DX ), and AMD could take care of it alone. ( or even push Mantle as the replacement of DirectX for an completely unified low level API for consoles, APU tablet, and PC ).

After MS have put behind the nv API in the early DX8 period.. Nvidia have need then embrace DirectX.. so why not do the same with Mantle, and seen nvidia port Mantle for their own architecture. ( using the same low level API, but who act with Nvidia architecture, the same it work for AMD architecture ) ( when you read AMD guys interview, its exactly what they say:" nobody will stop Nvidia to take Mantle and developp his own version of Mantle for his architecture" ). Today games developpers work with a lot of API.. why not reduce this number to 2-3 low level API, who give to the developpers a complete and direct access to the hardware.... let say you have MantleAMD, NVMantle, and IntelMantle.. thats all you need..

DirectX, openGL and high level API was needed a certain time, when they was a multiple graphic core architecture makers, but today, you have AMD, Nvidia for desktop and AMD and Intel for CPU with integrated gpu.. thats all.. And they need something coherent too for unleash the performance on tablet x86 . And what most important of get a full control on the metal level for it. Because tablet makers, like Apple have absolutely no problem to push performance by having access to the low level, metal of the GPU used on their SOC.. ( whatever it is Google, Samsung or Apple, they can use low level bare metal access for their API without any problem )
    Last edited by Lanek; 10-02-2013 at 01:25 PM.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast