Thread: New build with MO-RA3 radiator

New build with MO-RA3 radiator

Hi all,

I'm new to watercooling but I already read a lot. My plan is to build a decent and quiet watercooling setup for my 3 year old pc.

This is what I had in mind:

- GPU WATERBLOCKS: 2x aquagrafx gtx 480 (linked with twinconnector)
    - CPU WATERBLOCK: Koolance CPU-380 waterblock to cool a I7 950

- PUMP: 2x swiftech MCP655 PWM DRIVE
    - RESERVOIR: Koolance dual pump/ dual bay RP-452X2 Rev.2.0
    - RADIATOR: MO-RA3 420 PRO
    - FANS on rad: 9x Antec TrueQuiet 140 on lowest setting by build in switch (500rpm)

- TUBES: primochill primoflex advanced lrt 3/8 id - 5/8 od - crystal-clear
    - LIQUID: distilled water + Primochill Liquid Utopia Clear

- Quick disconnects: 2x Koolance QD3 set at pc exit for easy replacement of rad or pc if necessary.
    - FITTINGS: 10MM (3/8) EK High Flow Fitting - G1/4
    - CLAMPS: Koolance Hose Clamp (3/8 ID - 5/8 OD) Silver

- FILTER: Aqua-Computer Filter G1/4 Stainless Steel Mesh (to protect my waterblocks and pump for debris)

So... I hope I mentioned everything.
    I went for 2 pumps for redundancy. Both of them will be controlled by the mobo's (RIIE) pwm signal coming from the CPU header. One of them will return a rpm signal to the cpu fan header, the other one to a spare fan header. This way I can always check if both are still working.
    Since the pumps are changing the water flow speed depending on the load, I think a fixed RPM can be used for the fans on the radiator (please correct me if I'm wrong). This way the system keeps quiet.

I want to measure the flowrate. Please advice what I can use best.

My rampage II extreme mobo came with a optional fan to make some extra air flow inside the case. I think it's a good idea to install this one as well.

The Koolance CPU-380 waterblock can also be used for more recent sockets (like 2011) so I can still use it when I upgrade to a new CPU.

The loop would be configured like this: rad -> res1+pump1 -> gpu1 -> gpu2 -> cpu -> res2+pump2 -> rad
    I'm not sure if this is the best configuration... I know this reservoir can can be linked as well. Would this be a better config?

Please share your thoughts, doubts, improvements...

Hi,
    my comments:
    - GPU WATERBLOCKS: 2x aquagrafx gtx 480 (linked with twinconnector) good
    - CPU WATERBLOCK: Koolance CPU-380 waterblock to cool a I7 950 if you have it: OK, if you need to buy it: HK3 or Aquacomputer Kryos
    - PUMP: 2x swiftech MCP655 PWM DRIVE
    - RESERVOIR: Koolance dual pump/ dual bay RP-452X2 Rev.2.0 great pumping power - I have only one pump in my cycles, less noise, no reduncy, less flow (accepatable)
    - RADIATOR: MO-RA3 420 PRO please fix 9 fans - even if they are low rpm, they will give good cooling, if you use 18 fans have a look here
    "http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f137/ams-420-radiatoren-848542.html" (i compared 9 vs. 18 fans too)

- FANS on rad: 9x Antec TrueQuiet 140 on lowest setting by build in switch (500rpm) don't know them, I prefer Noiseblocker PK2 and 3 and wait for the 140 mm eLoops
    - TUBES: primochill primoflex advanced lrt 3/8 id - 5/8 od - crystal-clear 10/16 mm? don't know it
    - LIQUID: distilled water + Primochill Liquid Utopia Clear I use for my gaming system AC Double Protect fluid, for my test system aqua demin. with 15% G48
    - Quick disconnects: 2x Koolance QD3 set at pc exit for easy replacement of rad or pc if necessary. these line of quick connectors are very good (two sets? I would recomment following:https://www.aquatuning.de/shopping_c...6890a5d8abce2a ) if you buy a black MoRa 3 if not use silver
    - FITTINGS: 10MM (3/8) EK High Flow Fitting - G1/4 link? I use silver Koolance compression fittings
    - CLAMPS: Koolance Hose Clamp (3/8 ID - 5/8 OD) Silver good for simple fittings
    generell: using fittings, which are 1 mm larger than the ID of the tubes (10mm tubes => 11mm fittings)increase tensile strength (zugfestigkeit) I have a short comparison in english here:http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community...gs-963610.html
    - FILTER: Aqua-Computer Filter G1/4 Stainless Steel Mesh (to protect my waterblocks and pump for debris) good choise, I use them too. Be carefully with length of winding - if they are too long they can damage the sealing of the valve

have fun!
    Last edited by GliderHR; 09-27-2013 at 02:59 AM.

keep the loop as simple as possible: filter -> res -> then both pumps after each other
    quick disconnect in a way that you can circle the PC allone and input output is clear

Nad what I saw today:
    Wattecool has a new bracket for the MoRa 3 420:
    http://shop.watercool.de/epages/Wate...6-0A0C05E9A838
    to add 4 large fans on each side! from 180-230 mm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	420 Rahmen.jpg 
Views:	785 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	131367  

Hi GliderHR,

Thanks for your reply! Somehow I have the feeling you're the only active member on this forum

I choosed the Koolance CPU-380 waterblock because this one can be used for 2011 sockets as well, which is interesting for future use on a more recent cpu. Also this one is less restrictive than the HK3 or Kryos. Temp results are about the same. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the CPU-380 is a better choice in my case.

Concerning the fans, recently I found an interesting benchmark on this site: http://www.mega-labs.com/fanroundup_page_12.html
    "The Enermax T.B.Silence 140MM" fan seems to be very quiet. Even more quiet than the "Antec TrueQuiet 140" which one was choosen for best sounding fan on this site: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1346-page6.html
    The "Noiseblocker PK2 and 3" are louder fans but give a higher airflow. Airflow is not important for me, like stated in your reply.

Here a link to the fittings: http://www.highflow.nl/aansluitingen...ting-g1-4.html

First cool the CPU or GPU's in this loop?

Xtreme Mentor
    Doesn't matter. Temps only vary 1-2 C anywhere in the loop, meaning water temp. Gotta understand the properties of water etc.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Hi Moonshiner,
    here are some pics from My MoRa 3 with QD3. These are the G1/4 QD3's. A performance shnapshot can be seen in my last post of the Flowerlabs News Threat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K1600_DSCN1889.JPG 
Views:	614 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	131489   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K1600_DSCN1888.JPG 
Views:	602 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	131490   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K1600_DSCN1887.JPG 
Views:	583 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	131491  

One big advantage of the QD3 is that the rubber seal in not mechanical treated. You see, the rubber ring of the VL3N had been replaced because it was damaged.

Thx for the pics, Glider.
    But I wonder what's the point of having 4 connectors on your mo-ra? I guess only one port in and 1 out is necessary?

You may know - I'm collector and hunter and tester.
    I have one gaming system with VL3N's and one test system with VL3N's.
    One (new) gaming sytem has QD3's.

Sorry for confusion. In and Out are allways different so that I can close the liquid circuits.

Regarding fans:
    I have for testing purpose the NB PK-3. I just bought 3 PK-2 to come into low fan speed range. I got a 9 fan set of Phobya mid range speed fans
    http://www.aquatuning.de/product_inf...terpaket-.html
    look for a fan set - this saves some money.
    The pure rule : the smaller the rpm the more silent is a fan BUT the less air it can move and for radiators in worst case the less pressure it can produce.
    Since you use a MoRa 3 you can live with small airflow. This radiator cools very good.
    If you can live with one fanspeed - use the NB PK-1 or use NB PK-2 with a controller (an new Aquaero 5 XT out of my collection is available ) and steer the fanspeed by watertemperature.

Well, the fans should be as quiet as possible and for this I relied on this review : http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1346-page6.html
    The antec truequiet 140 isn't the best performant one, but it should have the best sound. It's cheaper than the pk-1 and there's also a switch included with the fan where you can choose the fan speed (500 or 800 rpm). So no need for a fan controller, but thanks for the offer