Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Valve announce Linux based gaming OS for 2014

Xtreme Enthusiast

Valve announce Linux based gaming OS for 2014

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

Thousands of games, millions of users. Everything you love about Steam.
    Available soon as a free operating system designed for the TV and the living room.
    Steam is coming to a new operating system

As we?ve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we?ve come to the conclusion that the
    environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself.
    SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen.
    It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    Interesting. I wonder how they'll solve the hardware problem (most people don't have their PC in the living room; attached to the TV, the HTPC form-factor is a niche market), and also the software problem: lack of DirectX, lack of linux binaries.
    Then, of course, there's the hardware-software problem: linux graphics drivers suck.

It's definitely going to be tricky.
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Interesting. I wonder how they'll solve the hardware problem (most people don't have their PC in the living room; attached to the TV, the HTPC form-factor is a niche market), and also the software problem: lack of DirectX, lack of linux binaries.
    Then, of course, there's the hardware-software problem: linux graphics drivers suck.

Some games will be made FOR the SteamOS.
    The majority of the games in your Steam Library, at least initially, will have to be streamed to your SteamOS PC.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Addict
    It sounds awesome to me. A cheap PC running this OS in your living room will allow you to keep playing from the sofa.
    Well done Valve!

I am Xtreme
    i think this will be valve games and indie games only at first, the things that are easier to code for, or where they are the developer. then over time other companies might try better to support the OS.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Addict
    Games already running on Linux should be easy to port to Valve's new OS.
    And Valve has enough cash to make it happen...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I wonder what they built off of. Debian? Arch? Gentoo? :p
    Xeon E3-1245 @ Stock | Gigabyte H87N-Wifi | 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP @ 1600Mhz | R7 260x | Much and varied storage

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by El Mano View Post
    This is not a new OS. It's a custom tailored Linux distro build around the Steam client. There's a few AAA games already available or soon to be available on Linux(Metro: Last Light is coming soon, Football Manager 2014 will make the series' Linux debut, Dota 2).
    Quote Originally Posted by Darakian View Post
    Ubuntu seems the most likely candidate as they've encouraged Ubuntu 12.04 compatibility for all games so far.
    Seems we made our greatest error when we named it at the start
    for though we called it "Human Nature" - it was cancer of the heart
    CPU: AMD X3 720BE@ 3,4Ghz
    Cooler: Xigmatek S1283(Terrible mounting system for AM2/3)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P(F4) RAM: 2x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz Gold 8-8-8-24
    GPU:HD5850 1GB
    PSU: Seasonic M12D 750W Case: Coolermaster HAF932(aka Dusty )

Xtreme Cruncher

Supposedly Valve has been working very closely with ATi/nvidia developing new and better drivers, but we'll see.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BrowncoatGR View Post
    This is not a new OS. It's a custom tailored Linux distro build around the Steam client. There's a few AAA games already available or soon to be available on Linux(Metro: Last Light is coming soon, Football Manager 2014 will make the series' Linux debut, Dota 2).
    No Captain Obvious! That's exactly my point and what I just said: since this OS is based on Linux, porting games that already run on Linux should be easy.

Xtreme Addict
    The steam games on ubuntu are already faster than on windows.

And quality is same.

L4Dead is a good exemple ...

I think that valve is gonna make a huge succes story with this.

Personally, i think this is bloody great.
    The PC I'm on now (see signature....it's a little old) would be perfect for this when I get my replacement that's in the works.
    one thing that bugged me though was the BBC's comments
    "While Valve has experimented with bringing games to a more TV-friendly user interface with its Big Picture mode, many PC games will not translate effectively to console controllers so this remains a challenge to overcome."
    While true to an extent with some games like RTS's etc, a lot of games start life on the console and have controller support.
    and even then, the people likely to be using this will have a wireless KB / M to hand anyway.
    Bring on the motorbikes!

Xtreme Addict
    No Captain Obvious! That's exactly my point and what I just said: since this OS is based on Linux, porting games that already run on Linux should be easy.
    Well if it's a Linux distro, then there is no need to port anything, as the SteamOS is a flavour of Gnu/Linux. Which was my earlier point. It makes no sense for Valve to create something radically different from the popular distros as that would just increase the support burden on Valve and require them to have a rather large team to work on the OS.
    Seems we made our greatest error when we named it at the start
    for though we called it "Human Nature" - it was cancer of the heart
    CPU: AMD X3 720BE@ 3,4Ghz
    Cooler: Xigmatek S1283(Terrible mounting system for AM2/3)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P(F4) RAM: 2x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz Gold 8-8-8-24
    GPU:HD5850 1GB
    PSU: Seasonic M12D 750W Case: Coolermaster HAF932(aka Dusty )

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Until the graphics drivers are up to date, they will have issues.

Xtreme Member
    More than easy, essentially ready to go.

Edit...haha I only read as far as your post and just had to say something (being a programmer)....then I read the post above mine and saw that this whole thread so far is people bashing what you said...yes linux, IOS, whatever mac calls their os...are all the same thing. I thing in mac's os you have to initialize primitives (e.g. integers to zero) or you get an error.
    Last edited by DefStar; 09-23-2013 at 03:51 PM.
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --MSI R7970 3GB @1150, 1500 cooled with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme--
    --G.SKILL Ripjaws @2400 MHz --
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --128 GB Sandisk UltraPlus is was only $59 new! Seagate 1TB HD--
    --Samsung S23A750D 120Hz monitor--
    --Razer Tarantula-- keyboard, yes it is like 8 years old!
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

Xtreme Addict
    And yet another reason to ditch the e that is MS these days
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

New playstation games can be ported to steamOss with almost no effort

Ino they should just call it GladOs instead

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme Addict
    Looking through the list of games on steam that run on linux it is essentially just Valve stuff + Serious Sam 3 and Killing Floor + around 300 or so indie games...

Valves promise of various AAA titles supporting SteamOS in 2014 better turn out to be true or it will end up being nothing more than streaming solution.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    i think this will be valve games and indie games only at first, the things that are easier to code for, or where they are the developer. then over time other companies might try better to support the OS.
    That's not what is going on exactly.

Native linux games can be run off the box, Windows games can be... streamed from a Windows box. Obviously the better this does and the longer it lasts the less of a need there is for said Windows box. Which is good as the Windows over head and fail sauce this is directX and other api's you have to go through have always been severely knee capping hardware to only a fraction of it's power in game. AMD, Carmac, and others have been pointing this out for ages. Though sadly as long as we have upgradable boxes some of that will have to be dealt with.

Long term it makes sense to get the hell away from Windows, it also makes sense to consolise the hardware and OS for PC gaming as different hardware and the mess that is Windows have always been kneecapping things. Plus given that at first it will just stream, it's a nice starting point.

This could work out great for them.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Darakian View Post
    SteamOS is based on Debian.

Also :

This week at XDC2013 NVIDIA made one of the biggest surprise announcements... NVIDIA will begin publishing NDA-free GPU programming documentation. They already have released some documentation and more is on the way as they seek to assist the Nouveau graphics driver developers in writing a full open-source 3D Linux graphics driver for GeForce GPUs.
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQ2NzY

Xtreme Addict
    Idk though, I have a HTPC that plays games already, why the need to stream stuff to them?

Unless they're talking about having this run on something like a NUC?

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    For those complaining. Linux graphics drivers are fairly decent, the problem is that each vendor ships their own openGL implementation and that needs to stop.
    Xeon E3-1245 @ Stock | Gigabyte H87N-Wifi | 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP @ 1600Mhz | R7 260x | Much and varied storage

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    If by "fairly decent" you actually mean "barely good enough to draw the UI", then yes!
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Xtreme Addict
    If by "fairly decent" you actually mean "barely good enough to draw the UI", then yes!
    That really varies a lot from (hardware) vendor to vendor and application to application. Also, in the case of some vendors at least, heavily from driver version to driver version.

Your sentiments don't mirror my overall experience. Care to share some specific cases?

--Matt
    Last edited by mattkosem; 09-24-2013 at 03:09 PM.
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post
    You think AMD might be going down the same route?

Quote Originally Posted by tbone8ty View Post
    Chris Pirillo ‏@ChrisPirillo
    https://twitter.com/ChrisPirillo/sta...07680424001536

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast