Thread: New Watercooling Build Need Advice

Xtreme Member

New Watercooling Build Need Advice

I just made my first watercooled pc and although I'm very proud and have been showing off
    to my friends I know that there is a lot of work to be done. Alas, I come to the Masters
    of the Universe. Anyways, I finally saved up enough to get all the parts that I've wanted:

Caselabs Merlin
    Corsair AX1200i
    Gigabyte z77x-UP4 TH
    3770k @4.5
    Kingston HyperX KHX1866C9D3K2/8G
    Evga GTX Titan Signature
    Airplex Modularity 120.3
    Kaze Sythe 800rpm fans
    Koolance 380
    EK Titan XXL
    Swiftech MCP355 w/XSPC Acetal top
    FrozenCPU Reactor Core Res

I wanted a system that's very quiet so I chose a few components that some enthusiasts
    would not. My tubing is all over the place but I don't have the extra cash for angled
    fittings so I corkscrewed them between my res and pump to prevent kinks. My mcp355 is
    running through an old xigmatek fan controller that I had lying around running at max 10
    volts. I had some issues at first getting it to start pumping, but I took it out
    immediately and made a tiny loop to test it and it worked. I plan to drill and properly
    seat my reservoir and pump once I get everything stable.

My loop goes pump-rad-cpu-gpu-res-pump
    I've reseated the cpu block once so far but I wonder why the cpu jumps so far in temp
    while the gpu stays within about 10 celsius high to low.

Please let me know if I'm doing it wrong. Cheers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    delid your cpu since Intel uses rubbish TIM on their cpus and replace it with a better TIM.
    You could easily improve your loop layout too.(Wouldn't improve temperatures)

Xtreme Member
    That was my original flow layout but I read on various forums that gpu->cpu was generally a bad idea. I apparently have a cool running gpu and superheated cpu. Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Well you were miss informed about loop layout, long as you have res then pump loop layout really doesn't unless you really care about 1 or 2c. It's most likely your chip not actual loop if your other temperatures are fine on a new loop, just read about delidding ivy bridge chips then get to it!

Xtreme Mentor
    You need more case airflow. And not sure what rad fans you have, they look like they have a weak blade design. Ohh, 800 RPM and not designed for rad restriction.

Here is a bunch of info you should read for a week or so.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=674257
    http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=628092
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DistortioniZm View Post
    That was my original flow layout but I read on various forums that gpu->cpu was generally a bad idea. I apparently have a cool running gpu and superheated cpu. Thanks!
    The temps are globally the same in the loop. Perhaps 0.5 hotter after the gpu.
    Do you have good temps with only a 360 @ 800 rpm with a 4.5Ghz + a titan ???
    What kind of temp do you have ?

Its normal for your cpu to have a bigger temperature swing than your cpu. It really comes down to core size, cpu core is about 1/3 the size of the gpu core surface area wise. So the water block can dissipate more heat on the gpu.

That being said, your cpu temps are more like air cooled temps rather than water. Part of the reason is the crappy TIM Intel (they use TIM more suited for duration than temp performance) puts between the IHS and the core, delidding will help. The other part is the slow fan speed for the amount of radiator speed. Pressure optimized fans and / or spinning them faster will help. But the rad you have is really optimized for slow fan speeds. Based on what I've seen of this rad, you won't get a huge improvement by pushing more air through it. If you wanna get better temps and keep the low fan speed your only option really is more radiator. Although you can play around with delidding and increasing your fan speed and see if it comes down enough to your liking.
    Last edited by warmmilk; 09-20-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by warmmilk View Post
    If you wanna get better temps and keep the low fan speed you only option really is more radiator.
    I agree

Xtreme Member
    Add one or two 240 rads perhaps.
    You don't need thick and pricey radiators at low fan speed, for example beetween 600 and 800 rpm
    alphacool st30 do a good job :
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1720172

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the help! I'm actually pretty satisfied with my build so far. It's almost inaudible and I have a decent overclock on my cpu. I'll most likely delid some time in the future but for now I'll just leave it be. I wanted to make sure that I didn't do something wrong to give me high temps on the processor. Better fans are something that I'll purchase and if I add another video card another radiator will be going in with it. Cheers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Makymaco View Post
    The temps are globally the same in the loop. Perhaps 0.5 hotter after the gpu.
    Do you have good temps with only a 360 @ 800 rpm with a 4.5Ghz + a titan ???
    What kind of temp do you have ?
    My loop has stabilized and I'm idling at around 38c at 1.272 V and maxing out at around 78c with prime 95 running and gpu is staying solidly at around 35c +/- 3c with both prime95 and furmark at max settings.
    Here is my 3dmark score.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    78?c is a little hot in my opinion

I don't know your current season but if you expect high temps this summer your 78? can become 88?