Thread: Issues with my pc's clock and date

Xtreme Member

Issues with my pc's clock and date

I noticed that my pc's time and date is always wrong. Every time i turn on my pc the date and time is different after when i had changed it before. Any ideas what could be causing this?
    Win 8.1 Pro
    MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower
    Patriot Viper 8gb @2400 MHz
    Intel I5-3570*** LGA 1155
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Crucial M500 240gb
    Asus Radeon 270x
    Antec 850W HCG
    Logitech MX 3000 & MX1000
    RW DVD/CD
    Provided by Blue Sun Corporation! LLAP!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Go into your BIOS. Check that.
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Member
    If it isn't the BIOS, flush your restore memory, then scan with Malwarebytes and Comodo Cleaning Essentials.
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the reply's.

When i get into the bios, what do i look for?

How do i flush the restore memory? And if i do the flush, will i loose info or anything critical?

Is malwarebytes and comodo cleaning essential a free download?

LLAP

Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo197 View Post
    If it isn't the BIOS, flush your restore memory, then scan with Malwarebytes and Comodo Cleaning Essentials.
    Win 8.1 Pro
    MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower
    Crucial M500 240gb
    Asus Radeon 270x
    Antec 850W HCG
    RW DVD/CD

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TVFREAKAZOID View Post
    Thanks for the reply's.

When i get into the bios, what do i look for?

How do i flush the restore memory? And if i do the flush, will i loose info or anything critical?

Is malwarebytes and comodo cleaning essential a free download?

LLAP
    BIOS-look for a clock and date setting panels and check to see if that is correct first. If not, change it.

System Restore-Depending on your system you will need to get into Control Panel and migrate to System Restore.
    For W7-Go to Control Panel-Click on "System". Select "System Protection"" from the left hand column/side. Go to "Protection Settings" and select your drive name. Then hit "Configure". Then click on "Turn off system protection". Then press the "Apply" button

Vista I think is similar. XP I can't remember exactly. I thought you could right click on the drive/computer letter and access System Restore from one of the menus that popped up in a window.

Malwarebytes and Comodo Cleaning Essentials are free.

or
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Xtreme Member
    I have winxp pro. I have no clue myself lol

I'll do the bios check and get back to you guys.

BIOS-look for a clock and date setting panels and check to see if that is correct first. If not, change it.

System Restore-Depending on your system you will need to get into Control Panel and migrate to System Restore.
    For W7-Go to Control Panel-Click on "System". Select "System Protection"" from the left hand column/side. Go to "Protection Settings" and select your drive name. Then hit "Configure". Then click on "Turn off system protection". Then press the "Apply" button

Vista I think is similar. XP I can't remember exactly. I thought you could right click on the drive/computer letter and access System Restore from one of the menus that popped up in a window.

or
    Win 8.1 Pro
    MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower
    Crucial M500 240gb
    Asus Radeon 270x
    Antec 850W HCG
    RW DVD/CD

Xtreme Member
    well i tried getting into the bios but it's password protected???? I never set a password?

Is it possible i have some sort a virus?

I do have mcafee enterprise + spyware 8.8.

I'm currently downloading comodo and Malwarebytes now.

or
    Last edited by TVFREAKAZOID; 09-15-2013 at 12:01 AM.
    Win 8.1 Pro
    MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower
    Crucial M500 240gb
    Asus Radeon 270x
    Antec 850W HCG
    RW DVD/CD

Xtreme Addict
    If your bios is pass protected you're in deep doodoo.
    I bought a laptop that was bios pass protected, windows would boot up fine but if you knew me, I can't handle not being able to get into the bios.
    I cleared the cmos with a hand written program I made and I was never able to get passed the pass prompt ever again (it wants me to set a time and date).
    $500 laptop turn into a paper weight, that was my christmas present some time ago, never got to use it.

To get back on topic, so what is exactly going on there with your rig?
    Is the time a few hours off?
    If that's the case then it's because of the UTC instead of using RTC.
    Both windows and linux is not that compatible with that mode.
    Once you set utc in windows you cannot adjust the time from windows anymore, it has to be done fomr the bios.
    Linux I don't know, it auto assumes rtc and screws my time over after a fresh install.

My notes on that:
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]

;Real Time Clock, Or Universal Time Clock
    ;May be bugs with UTC???
    ;UTC is supposed to be standered for any OS ^^
    ;Once set to UTC, windows can no longer mess with your cmos clock values.
    ;So if you adjust it after setting it to utc, and reboot, the change will revert.
    ;To fix, you have to do all time changes in the bios it's self, windows can't doit anymore.
    ;Increase cmos value by 5hrs, set windows to utc+eastern for eastern.
    ;"RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000000	;RTC
    "RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001	;UTC
    If time is running fast or slow, then it's either an addon card causing it, (I haven't seen this personally it's only a guess).
    Or it's a program that has hijacked a system file, lemme try looking that up.
    Function: ExSetTimerResolution, file: halacpi.dll/hal.dll.
    I think perhaps some program or driver hijack that system dll file's function and set it to whatever it felt like.
    I haven't been able to mess with that timer as of yet, maybe sometime I'll get back to it and try again (it wants a system driver to play with it, the user's don't have permission).

If you have any odd ball cards, take them out and see if that fixes the prob.
    Check to see if your copy of windows is set to utc.
    Or if all else fails, format and install windows fresh.
    That's those are the best answers I can give you.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The CMOS battery could be dying too. A simple CR2032 at your local Walgreens can fix the time issue that you're having. $3 repair.
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3lfk1ng View Post
    The CMOS battery could be dying too. A simple CR2032 at your local Walgreens can fix the time issue that you're having. $3 repair.
    +1
    that was my first thought.

Xtreme Member
    I will look into the battery. All my pc info is on my sig. It's a dfi landparty. It's about 7yrs old or older. I know i need to upgrade, but i have other hobbies i'm spending money on.

So what about the bios being password protected?

Should i to a fresh reinstall of win pro? Will that solve the problem.

Also the battery that you mentioned is that the right size battery for my mobo?

Quote Originally Posted by 3lfk1ng View Post
    Last edited by TVFREAKAZOID; 09-19-2013 at 12:56 AM.
    Win 8.1 Pro
    MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower
    Crucial M500 240gb
    Asus Radeon 270x
    Antec 850W HCG
    RW DVD/CD

Xtreme Member
    What could of caused the bios to password protect itself?

The time and date is erratic. Right now it's saying it's sept 13 3.30am. But it's 9/19 2am.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    If your bios is pass protected you're in deep doodoo.
    I bought a laptop that was bios pass protected, windows would boot up fine but if you knew me, I can't handle not being able to get into the bios.
    I cleared the cmos with a hand written program I made and I was never able to get passed the pass prompt ever again (it wants me to set a time and date).
    $500 laptop turn into a paper weight, that was my christmas present some time ago, never got to use it.

To get back on topic, so what is exactly going on there with your rig?
    Is the time a few hours off?
    If that's the case then it's because of the UTC instead of using RTC.
    Both windows and linux is not that compatible with that mode.
    Once you set utc in windows you cannot adjust the time from windows anymore, it has to be done fomr the bios.
    Linux I don't know, it auto assumes rtc and screws my time over after a fresh install.

My notes on that:
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]

;Real Time Clock, Or Universal Time Clock
    ;May be bugs with UTC???
    ;UTC is supposed to be standered for any OS ^^
    ;Once set to UTC, windows can no longer mess with your cmos clock values.
    ;So if you adjust it after setting it to utc, and reboot, the change will revert.
    ;To fix, you have to do all time changes in the bios it's self, windows can't doit anymore.
    ;Increase cmos value by 5hrs, set windows to utc+eastern for eastern.
    ;"RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000000	;RTC
    "RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001	;UTC
    If time is running fast or slow, then it's either an addon card causing it, (I haven't seen this personally it's only a guess).
    Or it's a program that has hijacked a system file, lemme try looking that up.
    Function: ExSetTimerResolution, file: halacpi.dll/hal.dll.
    I think perhaps some program or driver hijack that system dll file's function and set it to whatever it felt like.
    I haven't been able to mess with that timer as of yet, maybe sometime I'll get back to it and try again (it wants a system driver to play with it, the user's don't have permission).

If you have any odd ball cards, take them out and see if that fixes the prob.
    Check to see if your copy of windows is set to utc.
    Or if all else fails, format and install windows fresh.
    That's those are the best answers I can give you.
    Win 8.1 Pro
    MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower
    Crucial M500 240gb
    Asus Radeon 270x
    Antec 850W HCG
    RW DVD/CD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The CR2032 is used on all MOBOs. Your date/time rely on it. Replacing it will likely fix the issue.
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

Xtreme Addict
    The cr2032 battery isn't used while the psu is powered on, in standby or otherwise.
    What I mean is, if your psu isn't completely switched off and the time screws up then it's not the battery.

If the time screws up after fully powering off, psu.., then it is the battery.
    However you would lose your bios/cmos settings as well in that case.

What can change the bios password?, that I have not seen.
    I would assume some sort of super virus lol.
    Though it can happen by accident, if youre trying to zoom through the bios to quickly you can accidentally goto the enter the pass prompt and if you put something in there well, like I said you'll never be ever remove that pass.
    It's gov grade security, well int he mobile setups it is, as the rom for that is built into the south bridge.
    Desktop wise, it might be possible to flash a bios that removes that ability, but I'm not sure.
    But like I said, you'll probably never beable to get into that bios again.
    I almost did it myself on my amd ch4 formula board once by accident, in which case my board would of been 100% useless afterwards.

Anyways if the clock is getting screwed up while its powered on, in standby mode or full power, then it's the software, ie it's windows.

If you think you have probs, my "system" freaking triple clicks everything it's really on my nerves today lol.
    Maybe that'll make you feel better lol , we go through with this systems.
    I just wanna bash mine.

Xtreme Member
    When i change the time and date while the pc is on, then it's ok. Its after when i turn off my pc and let's say the next day when i turn on my pc the time and date is wrong.

It's weird why the bios would lock up like that and it seems impossible to get the password. Why didn't a company put in some generic pw???

Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    The cr2032 battery isn't used while the psu is powered on, in standby or otherwise.
    What I mean is, if your psu isn't completely switched off and the time screws up then it's not the battery.

If the time screws up after fully powering off, psu.., then it is the battery.
    However you would lose your bios/cmos settings as well in that case.

What can change the bios password?, that I have not seen.
    I would assume some sort of super virus lol.
    Though it can happen by accident, if youre trying to zoom through the bios to quickly you can accidentally goto the enter the pass prompt and if you put something in there well, like I said you'll never be ever remove that pass.
    It's gov grade security, well int he mobile setups it is, as the rom for that is built into the south bridge.
    Desktop wise, it might be possible to flash a bios that removes that ability, but I'm not sure.
    But like I said, you'll probably never beable to get into that bios again.
    I almost did it myself on my amd ch4 formula board once by accident, in which case my board would of been 100% useless afterwards.

Anyways if the clock is getting screwed up while its powered on, in standby mode or full power, then it's the software, ie it's windows.

If you think you have probs, my "system" freaking triple clicks everything it's really on my nerves today lol.
    Maybe that'll make you feel better lol , we go through with this systems.
    I just wanna bash mine.
    Win 8.1 Pro
    MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower
    Crucial M500 240gb
    Asus Radeon 270x
    Antec 850W HCG
    RW DVD/CD

Xtreme Member
    I had some time sync issue with my computer, I just used a program called NetTime and works a treat. http://www.timesynctool.com/

Xtreme Member

Question

So i finally got my lazy ass and bought a new cr2032 battery for my mobo.
    when i change out the battery do i need to worry about anything? any changes i will have to do in the bios?
    i just want any surprises.
    thanks
    Win 8.1 Pro
    MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower
    Crucial M500 240gb
    Asus Radeon 270x
    Antec 850W HCG
    RW DVD/CD

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TVFREAKAZOID View Post
    So i finally got my lazy ass and bought a new cr2032 battery for my mobo.
    when i change out the battery do i need to worry about anything? any changes i will have to do in the bios?
    i just want any surprises.
    thanks
    reset the bios, so save it.

can you take the battery out while its on? ive never had a reason to but that would keep bios from reset

Xtreme Addict
    You will loose all settings you've set in the bios. Which hopefully shouldn't be an issue, only thing I'm not certain about is what will happen when its locked by password.. Not sure how its handled.
    I do however have veeeeeery vague memory of something regarding DFI boards and password locks... But cant recall what it was.

edit: Found this thread, might help you out: http://www.overclock.net/t/80699/dfi...-bios-password
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Xtreme Member
    this will be my first time changing the battery for my mobo.

Can i take out the battery and put the new one in while it's on? Or does the pc needs to be turned off?

I didn't do any upgrades to my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    reset the bios, so save it.

can you take the battery out while its on? ive never had a reason to but that would keep bios from reset
    Win 8.1 Pro
    MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower
    Crucial M500 240gb
    Asus Radeon 270x
    Antec 850W HCG
    RW DVD/CD

Xtreme Member
    I think i figured out why my clock and date was out of wack.

I have my pc connected to a power strip. A while back i started to turn off my power strip, meaning it was like unplugging my pc from the outlet. After a few months has passed, i noticed the wacky clock situation.

This time around i turned off my pc as usual but this time i didn't turn off my monster power strip. So far no issues with the clock or date.

It's odd and not sure why.

Someone suggested that the mobo batter needs to be replaced. But i may not need it.
    Win 8.1 Pro
    MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower
    Crucial M500 240gb
    Asus Radeon 270x
    Antec 850W HCG
    RW DVD/CD