Thread: Newbie needs recommendations for system in very hot environment

Newbie needs recommendations for system in very hot environment

Gentlemen,
    Complete newbie, I require recommendations for a simple, quiet system for cooling my pc in very hot 48C (120F) conditions.
    I have a 900-2 case with all 7 fans, i5-2500k, 3 x 500Gb hd, no graphics card, no overclocking, no games, no speed needs.
    Run Win7, watching temperatures with Hard Disk Sentinel; more info if required.
    Must be easy to install, safe, quiet, - as the Corsair Hydro Series, reviewed on Lifehacker, seems not to be, - and effectively refrigerant.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thankyou
    Last edited by SBookman; 09-08-2013 at 12:49 AM.

Xtreme Member
    a chunky 140mm hsf with all those case fans should do what you want better than anything
    most the noise will probably be coming from your case fans

although with a big enough rad it would be possible to make a watercooled system quieter while staying at acceptable temps you start moving away from your easy install requirement
    TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2088\9500MHz -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
    3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM

I'm not sure if watercooling will be solution, considering 48C ambient temperature. If you don't intend to OC, you should just install an A/C and cool everything

Xtreme Cruncher
    The ATX standard(iirc) says that air inlet temperature for the computer should not exceed 80F(26C). You are far outside of the spec. That being said, you have no chance of keeping a spinning rust based hard drive in a computer at those temperatures. Hard drives should be kept below 40C, and if your air inlet temperature is going to be 49C(120F) then you are in serious trouble. An SSD could work since they are less problematic at the temps you desire, but you are going to be fighting a battle that is uphill, against the wind, in the snow, etc.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    ssd and undervolt/underclock the hell out of rig across the board.

Xtreme Addict
    Where in the world is this PC going that its going to be 48C ambient temps ?

There are guys on here who live in the desert and I doubt the ambient temps for them are even that high ?

Xtreme Member
    You can put the radiator in another room where the air is not this high

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    after all everyone needs a computer in the sauna

Sir,

"Where in the world is this PC going that its going to be 48C ambient temps ?" Right here, has peaked at 56.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SBookman View Post
    Sir,

"Where in the world is this PC going that its going to be 48C ambient temps ?" Right here, has peaked at 56.
    Where is 'right here'......................ohhh wait, I know, your next door neighbor has horns, right ????
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Seriously.... Those temps are beyond insane....

You could, I guess, purchase an enclosure for the machine itself or manufacture one....

You must realize, that even with water cooling your machine is going to be red hot, mainly because the air moving through the radiator itself is going to be 50c....

Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    I'll come blow on your heatsink for a dollar. Thats pretty ghetto
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon th MG Pony
    sorry to sound harsh but so would you if some one asked if nitroglycerin was a good coolant for his car!
    Check out my forum: http://www.anarchyst-it.com

Xtreme Mentor
    The guy has told us nothing why it's so hot. I need to know. This is crazy.

I hope it's not a troll..............
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Addict
    I think he is opening an ice cream stand in Death Valley and wants the PC to power his advertising board.