Thread: [jonnyGURU] Antec HCP-850 Platinum Review

I am Xtreme

Thumbs up [jonnyGURU] Antec HCP-850 Platinum Review

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaWolf
    In the HCP-850 Platinum, Antec took an already excellent design and made it practically unbeatable. This beast is pretty well unmatched for performance right now, coming in here and just obliterating the competition with unreal stability and ripple control. Only two current platforms I can think of can even come close to this - the Seasonic KM3 and Super Flower Leadex. But, neither one of them quite has either the rail stability or ripple suppression both to match this one. I just wish the price was a bit lower. As it stands right now, though, you can't really do any better than this bad boy. We're at the top of the mountain... at least for now.
    Source: http://www.jonnyguru.com/

It appears to be the best PSU on the market. The review is missing noise data, but apparently the unit is pretty quiet, too.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Banned
    It's gotten to the point where the good reviews like Jonnyguru are splitting hairs when you start talking gold or platinum rated PSUs. Unless there is some special feature that you need and one PSU offers it over another, for most people buying the least expensive of the group of top-of-the-line PSUs is the best value. More often than not it's Seasonic or one of their products rebranded - when they are on sale.

Delta made this particular PSU for Antec and it's a good unit but I would only considerate it if it's priced competitive as the minute test result advantage over the other top-of-the-line PSUs in the low voltage tests won't deliver any tangible system stability or OC'ing potential. An informed consumer can save money and get a top notch PSU that will work very well for their needs. Don't be obsessed with minutia that doesn't add value.
    Last edited by AMDforME; 09-03-2013 at 09:09 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by AMDforME View Post
    It's gotten to the point where the good reviews like Jonnyguru are splitting hairs when you start talking gold or platinum rated PSUs. Unless there is some special feature that you need and one PSU offers it over another, for most people buying the least expensive of the group of top-of-the-line PSUs is the best value. More often than not it's Seasonic or one of their products rebranded - when they are on sale.

Delta made this particular PSU for Antec and it's a good unit but I would only considerate it if it's priced competitive as the minute test result advantage over the other top-of-the-line PSUs in the low voltage tests won't deliver any tangible system stability or OC'ing potential. An informed consumer can save money and get a top notch PSU that will work very well for their needs. Don't be obsessed with minutia that doesn't add value.
    Just wanted to say thanks for this info!

I'm in the market for a psu and ill keep this in mind if it'll be neglible difference
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Member
    850W platium... interesting... but it should be 15cm long... and it's 19cm... too large
    Last edited by jogshy; 09-06-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    I wish they'd start taking these technologies and shrinking them. We should have far more options for SFX PSU's than we currently do.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesrt2004 View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks for this info!

I'm in the market for a psu and ill keep this in mind if it'll be neglible difference
    Many folks get caught up in the hype and fail to undertand the big picture. Glad I could help.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm a bit surprised that Antec psu is so much more expensive than other psus in America, over here its roughly in line with other premium psus like the Enermax Platimax, Seasonic SS-XP and the likes.

Either way, nice hadware pr0n, plus regardless if its worth buying or not, good marketing for Antec if their brandname is associated with such an engineering marvel.

Banned
    Antec just rebadges products so their pricing in the U.S. is likely based on perception. That's why it's important to educate yourself before buying a specific brand or model PSU. Without independent testing consumers really have no idea how a product actually performs regardless of the brand, price or marketing hype. Even with good reviews it's important to understand what is important and what isn't.

As noted above any of the top-of-the-line Gold or Platinum model PSUs - based on JonnyGuru, Hardware Secrets, or similar quality PSU reviews, will serve PC users just fine. Paying more than the price of a Seasonic PSU usually doesn't prove to be a good value or even a better performing PSU. Pick the PSU that meets your needs and budget, not the one with the most hype.

Xtreme Addict
    Thread resurrecting ^^.

I just got this psu a min ago in the mail.
    Words I cannot express my disappointment, well I'll try .

Psu came to me dirty, and nicked up a bit.
    Those 2 bags thingy open up like diapers lol.
    No biggy.

Went to power it up and found out that its wiring is non standard, a big wtf.
    It wasn't to hard to figure out with a ohm meter though.

Rails all equ to the same value, the 12v ones, the 5v rails seems good, the 3v rail fluctuates though.
    Seems the standby rail does too.
    Seems ok'ish, but the levels were to high, I assume after it's got a load on it that those levels will go down.
    But just thinking about that ticks me off, I'm expecting a 0.12v drop on the 12v otherwise it'll be to high and it'll muck up my pc.
    And that much of a drop would be completely nuts.
    That would be horrible, that's like 6x worse then any psu I would personally use.
    It better not fluctuate when on load ^^...

Now to the part that really ticks me off.
    The cables.
    This psu, the hcp-850 platinum, comes with the crappiest cables ever.
    I've seen many $15-45 psu's that have better cables then this.
    It's the connectors really, they are aluminum ^^.
    Every single one of them except the freaking oc connector thing.
    Even the wall plugin has aluminum connectors.
    At this rate this psu will last me about a year or 2 before it rusts out.

Grr I'm so angry, this psu was the most expensive 850w out there but came with the cheapest cables of all of them probably.
    Not a single review online said a darned thing about this!, it's a big issue in my book.
    I can't freaking believe this, I have to re-cable this thing by hand.
    That's gonna cost me upwards around $70.
    Oui I just can't believe this crap.

Banned
    As far as voltage fluctuation the ATX specs are +/- 5% on the 12V rail and 3% on the 5V and 3.3V rails. Any modern PSU would need to be really horrible to be outside these specs. The CPU/GPU are powered by the 12V rail with the voltages dropped and highly regulated by the mobo, so the CPU/GPU never see any significant voltage fluctuation in any quality mobo with a proper VRM design.

Xtreme Addict
    NEOAethyr, sounds like the shop where you got it from tried to defraud you with a unit from a customer return, return for refund, purchase from elsewhere.

Also the cables pictured here look standard to me.

Xtreme Addict
    Nah, what I mean by non standard cables is the atx 20 pin in this pic labeled mb:
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules/NDR...num/Image2.jpg

It's not a 20 pin atx lol, it's wired way different.
    I found that out looking for the pson wire.
    I figured it out though and I also found out the oc link is just a pson and a ground, makes sense (I figured this but wanted to make sure before putting power into it).

I installed the psu about 2-3hours ago.
    It was a hassle though.

1st thing I did was compared the cables between my seasonic x750 and the new antec hcp850 platinum.
    I then realized I shouldn't get angry about the cable quality, both psu makers used aluminum pins and connectors lol.
    So I thought to myself, ok whatever, I can deal with this prob later on some other day.

So I started hooking it up, only to find out another bummer of sorts.
    The 8 pin eps is to short, I couldn't route it, I had to go straight up to the board instead of behind it.
    I used a twist tie so it wouldn't get chopped up my my 2 deltas I got on my side panel.

There's also 3 sata cables, all the same length.
    1st 2 sets were fine, long enough. 3rd set, not long enough for my bdr burner .
    You'de figure they would include one cable that was longer just for this type of prob...

Ok now on to the biggest prob.
    Every single ide and sata cable can only be hooked into 12v1.
    There's 5 of those cables btw, not 6 ^^, what I mean is that there's an empty port on the back of the psu that you can never use lol.

I assume they wanted me to hook the motherboard up to 12v1 as well but I opted to use 12v2, again losing another port but who cares at this point.

Another thing that miffed me...
    There is 3 sets of pcie cables, 2x 8 pins, separate ones, and another 2x 8 pins that aren't separate (cheap...).
    Now the only way of hooking that one cable up, sets it up to use 2 separate rails for a single card.
    I just said screw that!, no way.
    So I checked it with an ohm meter and figure out which 8 pin is on what rail, so when the time comes I can setup 1 card to use 12v3 and the other 12v4.

Anyways enough with the bad stuff.
    The only thing that really ticks me off with it is the cables, they all suck.
    And making them all black, stealth cables lmao, wth they cheaped out on the cables ^^.

Oh and the voltage levels are way to high.
    After hooking it up the levels were the same on load with 0 load :\, that's both a good thing and a bad thing.
    It's bad because it's way to high lol...
    I may tear this thing apart and mod it if it's even possible.
    For now I don't know, it bothers me to all heck though.

Anyways the psu is a good one, it's way more steady then even the seasonic I had.
    Way better.
    I logged the soft readings for over an hour and a half and they didn't budge an inch, soft readings lol ! .
    That's impressive.

Pc is quieter, even though the 12v is higher.
    Temps are way lower, I was talking to my cousin about this showing him the readings, I was telling him this is odd, but really cool.
    He's asked what could cause that?, a rebuild getting the dust out?
    I told him no, I've done that before and I've never had 11c cpu dts temps with a normal ambient temp.
    He said maybe it's because the pump is running faster, that may be true.
    But we were both a bit confused because the sb and nb temps are way lower too.
    Heck even the hard drives are faster now (maybe they like the higher volts, or maybe it's just the cleaner power...).

It's a good psu no doubt, but the cabling really does suck.
    Best psu I've ever had so far.
    Worst psu so far in terms of cabling though lol.

Oh and I didn't get a case badge heh, but I could care less though (edit: oh it wasn't a case badge thing, it was a velcro thingy, I got that so nm ..).

If anyone gets this psu, I only need say one thing, make yourself some new cables.

One more thing, no high pitched coil whine.
    This psu won't give you tinnitus lol, health wise it's ok .

And antec if your listening.
    Ensure that your psu's don't go past 12.20v, 5.14v, and 3.50v...
    Plus seasonic has a one up on you guys when it comes to the connecter setup.
    I mean really, 6 ide/sata connectors and only 5 freaking cables lol ? ^^
    Spend a $1, use copper pins..., or better, gold plate them for longevity and solid connections.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 10-24-2013 at 01:21 AM.