Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft buys Nokia Devices

Xtreme Member

Microsoft buys Nokia Devices

Microsoft announced tonight that it will buy Nokia's devices and services division.

This is the part of Nokia that makes smartphones (and soon) tablets.

Microsoft will pay 3.70 billion Euro for Nokia's devices business. That's nearly $5 billion is U.S. dollars. Microsoft will also pay an additional 1.65 billion Euro ($2.2 billion U.S.) for the rights to Nokia's patents.

All together, the deal will cost Microsoft about $7 billion U.S.

Microsoft will also take on about 32,000 Nokia employees. Nokia's CEO Stephen Elop will transfer to Microsoft too. (Elop used to work at Microsoft before becoming the Nokia CEO.)
    http://www.businessinsider.com/micro...devices-2013-9

Okay now its true, folks

In other news.. WP share hit a new record.. in Europe

The latest smartphone sales data from Kantar Worldpanel ComTech, for the three months to July 2013, shows Windows Phone has posted its highest ever level of 8.2% across the five major European markets, emerging as a key player in the smartphone race.

Month on month between June and July Windows Phone grew from 5.9 to 8.8% in Germany, 8.6 to 9.2% in UK, 9.0 to 11% in France, 1.4 to 1.8% in Spain, 7.0 to 12.5% in Mexico and 6.9 to 8.2% in the EU5 in total.

In Italy Windows Phone share remained static at 7.8%, and the OS saw declines in USA from 4 to 3.5% and China, from 4.9 to 1.4%.
    http://wmpoweruser.com/kantar-window...are-in-europe/

I knew this when they buried meego

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Next in news

Elop replaces Ballmer

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evantaur View Post
    Next in news

Elop replaces Ballmer
    Yes, it's almost certain that it will happen.

Xtreme Member
    Good job, Elop.

The value of Nokia from 09/2010 to now is moved from 35 mld $ to 14 mld $.
    The excellent MeeGo and N8 were killed.
    Symbian was destroyed.
    Android was evaded.

Now MS can buy the Nokia Mobile Division for only 5.44 mld $.

Xtreme Cruncher
    5.44 B € only !! wow !!
    Even skype was worth more than that !!
    Intel i7 2600k, Asus p8p67 EVO, Thermalright Archon, G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB, Asus EAH6970 DCII, Corsair AX850W, Asus xonar essence ST, Coolermaster HAF 932,
    Crucial C300 128GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB, Samsung F3 1TB.

The world needs your support.
    Join The XS WCG team and help cure Cancer, AIDS, and other diseases.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Elop/Microsoft should be prosecuted for this, it was there plan from the start. There are probably no laws for this, but this is just criminal though. Devaluating a company like he did, with all the bad decision that he made, all of it was part of the masterplan to acquirer Nokia and it's patents for cheap.
    AMD Opteron 148 CABYE 0543 FPBW || DFI LanParty nF4 SLI-DR AD0
    2x 512MB OCZ PC3500 Limited Edition Winbond BH-5 || 2x 512MB Corsair PC3200LL V1.1 Winbond BH-5 || 1x 256MB Mushkin PC3500 LV2 Winbond BH-5
    SAPPHIRE X800GTO2 @ 16P 600/570, Voltmodded, GPU=1,7V/VDD/VDDQ=2,3V
    Zippy PSL-6720P(G1) GAMING ,POWER - I love it!

Xtreme Mentor
    Apple SW has Apple HW
    Google SW has Motorola HW
    Microsoft SW has Nokia HW

All go hand in hand but very sad about Nokia they could have done a lot with Android and a Symbian Skin or MeeGo. Lets see what type of device Nexus 5 will be all in all I expect Microsoft to release something like the nexus soon, think Nokia 1020 at Nexus cost yes please...
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mignolo.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	131212

Xtreme Guru
    Secret M$ meeting:

- We have secret plan for you Elop; we want Nokia, so we can accelerate the Live cloud services and better integrate our MS office/Live products to mobile division, go fix it!
    - Okay, Nokia is already failing, let's speed up the process!
    - Achievement unlocked! Nokia value drops from $35 to close to $10! Now let's buy what's left of this piece-o- before any smaller company does.
    - Mission successful; Nokia captured
    Achievement unlocked; M$ CEO status awarded!

I can see it all so clearly. Being from Finland myself it's been quite big topic of discussion today around here.
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 09-03-2013 at 03:43 AM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Mentor
    how it is accomplished is another story but at the end this is the last shoot for microsoft's mobile phone business.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looking at Microsoft's track record, I think you all are giving them WAY too much credit.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconyu View Post
    Looking at Microsoft's track record, I think you all are giving them WAY too much credit.
    so you are saying last shoot already been taken? :P

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    so you are saying last shoot already been taken? :P
    I'm saying that if this were the plan Microsoft wouldn't have released Surface under their name and Ballmer would still be CEO. Micorsoft are simply too incompetent to see this far ahead and be right. They always listen to the wrong guys, I could run Microsoft better than they do.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconyu View Post
    I'm saying that if this were the plan Microsoft wouldn't have released Surface under their name and Ballmer would still be CEO. Micorsoft are simply too incompetent to see this far ahead and be right. They always listen to the wrong guys, I could run Microsoft better than they do.
    maybe this wasn't the plan although it seems like.

EDIT: but although it seems stupid it can also be the plan. we are living in a world with people who give money to adblock for adblock advertisements.

Xtreme Mentor
    The reason for MS to buy Nokia is to speed up the downfall of Nokia.

MS buying Nokia means that Nokia will now focus for the full 100% on Windows Phone. Zero chance on them ever using Android or any other OS.
    okia focussing on only 1 OS (that has a small market share) means they will never be as big as they used to be.

I have worked with Windows Phone and didn't like it and a lot of people that i know that have used Windows Phone also didn't like it.
    yes there will be people that love it but i dont think there are many.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Evantaur View Post
    Next in news

Elop replaces Ballmer
    Wow, this better not be the case.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Wow, this better not be the case.
    Why not? He can't work outside of Microsoft anymore, he had a major part in acquiring Nokia (trojan horse), and that happens to be their new direction, hardware and software integrated.
    AMD Opteron 148 CABYE 0543 FPBW || DFI LanParty nF4 SLI-DR AD0
    2x 512MB OCZ PC3500 Limited Edition Winbond BH-5 || 2x 512MB Corsair PC3200LL V1.1 Winbond BH-5 || 1x 256MB Mushkin PC3500 LV2 Winbond BH-5
    SAPPHIRE X800GTO2 @ 16P 600/570, Voltmodded, GPU=1,7V/VDD/VDDQ=2,3V
    Zippy PSL-6720P(G1) GAMING ,POWER - I love it!

Am I the only one who thinks that this may not be a bad thing?! We will have one more OS and phone hardware manufacturer that can fight with Apple and Google (no one really raised a hue and cry when Google bought Motorola). This could be good for us consumers. MS has over $60 billion in cash (nothing to do with assets or cap) and can give Google/Motorola and Apple/iPhone a bloody good fight.

I just wonder what non-OS product manufacturers like Samsung/HTC/Sony etc. are thinking! And no one is even thinking about poor old Blackberry!

The pocket/portable communication device (including tablets) war has now well and truly begun, let's watch the fun and get the most of it!

Quote Originally Posted by xytrius View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that this may not be a bad thing?! We will have one more OS and phone hardware manufacturer that can fight with Apple and Google (no one really raised a hue and cry when Google bought Motorola). This could be good for us consumers. MS has over $60 billion in cash (nothing to do with assets or cap) and can give Google/Motorola and Apple/iPhone a bloody good fight.

I just wonder what non-OS product manufacturers like Samsung/HTC/Sony etc. are thinking! And no one is even thinking about poor old Blackberry!

The pocket/portable communication device (including tablets) war has now well and truly begun, let's watch the fun and get the most of it!
    Didn't you get the memo? M$ is still t3h evils.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Mentor
    Dont get why people blame Elop, the windows mobile Nokia smartphones were great quality, I've used a Lumia 800 and 925 and both are amazing to me.

The thing is the general public didnt like them as much, and they didnt sell.

Xtreme Member
    Microsoft buys Nokia Devices
    "Nokia" Zune 2.0
    Surface 2.0
    Windows 8.1

Ballmer is commited to kill M$ before he retires

Xtreme Cruncher
    I am happy for this news, as I sold my 300 shares of NOK yesterday haha.
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

xtreme energy
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post
    Dont get why people blame Elop, the windows mobile Nokia smartphones were great quality, I've used a Lumia 800 and 925 and both are amazing to me.

The thing is the general public didnt like them as much, and they didnt sell.
    Yep, they are great but they have to sell them much much cheaper to compete with Apple and Samsung.

Xtreme Mentor
    They were much much cheaper when I got mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast