Thread: aquaero 6 - power to the people - err, I mean fans and pumps

Aqua Computer Rep

aquaero 6 - power to the people - err, I mean fans and pumps

The new aquaero 6 is an improved version of the aquaero 5. Our main target was a dramatic increase of the available power on the outputs. Other than the aquaero 5 which works with an analog voltage control, this time we used very efficient switching controllers of the latest generation. The performance capability of the aquaero 5 is mainly limited by the temperature of the voltage regulators since they become pretty hot when you attach some stuff and use it with lower voltages. The aquaero 6 has no problems in this area and the maximum power is only limited by the current which means you can go to the limits without worrying about the temperatures. To make this possible we had to redesign everything around the voltage regulators with a special attention to the thermal design. This time we placed more than 250 elements on the PCB without changing its size. For the first time we use a multi-layer PCB for the aquaero.

The maximum current per channel is 2,5A (30W at 12V) without any special cooling. The aquaero 6 does not even have a passive heatsink! Anyway, we will also offer a waterblock for the aquaero 6 since it will allow to go a bit further with a maximum of 3A (36W at 12V). Of course the voltage regulators also handle short peaks above this rating to make sure that fans and pumps will spin up. The new controllers also feature some new directly integrated security features. For example they can switch of a channel in less than 1/100000s if you have a short circuit. Also the temperature, current and voltage monitoring has been improved. The 5V supply which for example powers the CPU or display got a new protection circuit which will disconnect the power supply if there is an overvoltage. Another nice thing to mention is the pretty low voltage drop with that new design which is only 0,5 to 0,8V between the power supply and the outputs.

So, what does that mean for the real world? For example you can connect 80 fans in total (20 per channel) and control them in the full range from 0 to 100% - as said without additional cooling! Or you connect 40 fans and two Laing D5 pumps which we have done here in this demonstration video.

The available power should be no longer a question and to take full advantage of it all channels are 4-pin PWM compatible now. PWM fans can be also stopped by cutting their voltage supply. Normally a PWM fan will always run at a specific minimum speed if there is no or a too low PWM frequency signal.

The onboard memory of the aquaero 6 has become larger and offers four time more space for log data or whatever the future brings.

All these new features have their price... we understand that not everyone needs that massive amount of power so the aquaero 5 series will stay in our assortment of goods. That means the aquaero 6 will not replace the aquaero 5 - it will extend its possibilities. So if you want to enter the world of aquaeros it still starts with 59.90 Euro for the aquaero 5 LT and will end with the aquaero 6 XT as the top-of-the line model for 179.90 Euro. The aquaero 6 will be also available as a PRO version for 149.90 Euro. A LT variant of the aquaero 6 will not be available.
    (mentioned prices include 19% VAT)

The delivery of the new aquaero series will start at the beginning of October this year. At that time we will also release a new update of the aquasuite 2013 software which will support the new aquaeros and brings some new features to both generations. If you already own an aquaero 5 or plan to get this one, there is no reason to worry about the future support. Since both versions of the devices are based on the same firmware it means that every update will work for both of them. The only exception could be special extensions in the future (there is noting planed right now). If they require a lot of memory they would be reserved to the aquaero 6 because of its larger onboard memory.

Last but not least a little time travel:

10 years of development in one photo. Even without special knowledge about electronics you can easily tell the changes from version to version, especially if you compare the aquaero 3.07 to the latest one.

And if this is the first time you read about the aquaero you might be interested in some screenshots of the software:

Got a question or having a problem with your Aqua Computer product?
    Contact us via PM or E-Mail.

Xtreme Member
    Very nice!
    Would you have multiple versions like the 5 range(XT, Pro, LT.....)?

EDIT:
    Never mind, I actually got too exited reading the first few lines found the answer after reading the full post
    But NO LT for version 6??....waaaaaaaaaaaaaahatttttttttt
    Last edited by Avathar77; 08-31-2013 at 03:28 PM.

hmm this bang on time my case switch.

shut up and take my money!

will use this for my next upgrade for sure, btw...any way to get that display in purple?

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme Addict
    Congratulations!
    I love my 5, I'll buy this one for my next rig.

I am Xtreme
    So does it have actual pwm control on all channels or just supports 4-pin fans/pumps?

Xtreme Member
    The aquaero 5 is fine, but the screen is unreadable if you are in front of it.
    Is the aquaero screen improved ?

Xtreme Member
    this is way too awesome!
    PC:
    MOBO: Maximus VI Extreme
    CPU: Core i7-4770k
    RAM: 2x4gb Dominator Platinum 2133
    GPU: GeForce GTX Titan

Greetings from Brazil!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    So does it have actual pwm control on all channels or just supports 4-pin fans/pumps?
    They do indeed support it.
    On the aquaero 6 you can have both: voltage control or PWM control.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1423333/a...#post_20726225

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Impressive! Does the change from analog voltage to a switched voltage change the low end RPM attainable?

So presumably people could save money and get a basic D5 and use the aquaero to do the speed control rather than buying the more expensive PWM/USB versions?

Aqua Computer Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Evantaur View Post
    btw...any way to get that display in purple?
    You could use a colored foil but I guess it will not look that good and also the brightness will be lower.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    You can use PWM control or voltage control on all channels. You can use 3-pin or 4-pin fans on all channels. Or in other words: you can use everything on all channels.

Quote Originally Posted by Makymaco View Post
    Is the aquaero screen improved ?
    The screen is the same as the one on the aquaero 5. Only the main controller board has been changed. Everything else is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by stren View Post
    Does the change from analog voltage to a switched voltage change the low end RPM attainable?

So presumably people could save money and get a basic D5 and use the aquaero to do the speed control rather than buying the more expensive PWM/USB versions?
    When you use the voltage controlled power you will get a clean analog signal without any limits at lower settings. There will be no difference to the aquaero 5 which also allows you to control the speed in the full range.

Of course you can also use a normal D5 pump. That is exactly what we did in the video.

Shoggy, I want to just bolt this to the front panel of my case. I will cut openings to fit the screen, and 4 holes to bolt it. Can you tell me how deep it will be if I remove the side mounting arms?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Evantaur View Post
    shut up and take my money!

will use this for my next upgrade for sure, btw...any way to get that display in purple?
    Do what Bill did for his Project Rebel Alliance - colored acrylic over the window. (page link: here)
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

Visitor
    Shoggy, will there still be 0.5 - 0.8V voltage drop when using PWM? Thanks.

Aqua Computer Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by WiSK View Post
    Shoggy, I want to just bolt this to the front panel of my case. I will cut openings to fit the screen, and 4 holes to bolt it. Can you tell me how deep it will be if I remove the side mounting arms?
    Without side brackets and faceplate I get 27.7 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by cx-ray View Post
    Shoggy, will there still be 0.5 - 0.8V voltage drop when using PWM? Thanks.
    It will also have the voltage drop since the signal must go through the voltage regulators. It is like you would set it to 100% but with the PWM signal to control the speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoggy View Post
    Without side brackets and faceplate I get 27.7 mm.
    Thank you for the answer. That is very thin indeed - I think it might all just about fit

Aqua Computer Rep
    By the way: the aquaero 6 is listed in the shop since yesterday

Yesterday...

Anyone needs an aquaero 0.02? The photo shows some pretty old prototypes and first steps in the aquaero development. The boards are not fully populated because only specific functions have been tested. There are much more boards lying around here but these looked OK for the camera Pretty much all protoype-boards are burned - learning by doing

Xtreme Member
    Shoggy, any time someone asks about speed controlling DDC pumps, I always say that the best controller is the Aquaero series.

Allowing the ability to speed control both fans and pumps in a WCing loop gives the benefits of fine-tuning for performance and noise.
    Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

My Heatware http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=63611

The pump Maverick, BMaverick ... has a massive hoard of a Laing DDC pump stash

Shoggy, warum kein link zum Shop??? Egal, ich habe Euch in den Favoriten
    & Aquaero 6.0 ordered....
    Last edited by GliderHR; 09-19-2013 at 06:22 AM.

Wow,

I have the aquaero 4 full bundle and also the aquaero 5 xt full bundle....and now? I've to try IT!!!

Best Regards from Italy

Does this fit in a 5.25 bay in the front of a case?

Aqua Computer Rep
    Yes, of course.