Thread: Radeon 4870 crapped ceramic capacitor, help needed!

Radeon 4870 crapped ceramic capacitor, help needed!

Cheer guys,

I got this little thing yesterday, It was dead, wrong flashed bios, which I managed to correct, the card was working till I changed the cooler...

...the card won`t boot up, I got the red led D601 error, which I know means that is a critical core error code. I found that the yellow labelled part is broken, some guys say that part is likely a resistor or capacitor, a part of the power handling to each of the VRMs.

My problem is that I don`t have a good multi-meter to check the measurments. The little part does not have any marks on it...googled to find datasheet, not luck...

You are my last hope, If I cannot find here any solutions then probably nowhere... I saw here so many volt mods, I hope someone will help me to check that little crapped part...

Xtreme Addict
    The Card will Work fine without that capacitor!

So check the Card over Again because it is not that smd capacitor thats stopping the the Card from booting..
    The man with the littel Barebone!
    And proud Crew of!!!
    Octeamdenmark.com
    Shuttle SX38P2Pro Barebone E8600cpu and HD4870X2 gfx and 2gig Crusial Ballistix PC8500 Cl5 and 2x150gig Raptor in raid 0 and 1x750 gig seagate
    Msi 790FX-GD70 Mobo Amd 955-965 PHII cpus and 2gig Crucial value PC10600@800mhz 7-5-5-15 1T
    And 4x500GB Seagate 7200.12 in raid0
    4xHD5770 in CFQ.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Reference Radeon 48xx cards had a flawed VRM and ultimately develop D601... Non-reference cards with analog VRMs ironically last longer for that generation.

If you want to know the capacitance value of that cap, you will most likely have to take another cap just like it out of circuit and measure it. The voltage measurement you would need to take in circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by mockingbird View Post
    Reference Radeon 48xx cards had a flawed VRM and ultimately develop D601... Non-reference cards with analog VRMs ironically last longer for that generation.
    My reference 4870 worked flawlessly from day 1 (even overclocked) and still works great in the current owner's PC

It also did not have any overcurrent shut down issues when running Furmark like others did however so maybe it was special
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

The cooler on the card was an Thermalright T-Rad2. I tried to took off the aluminium heathsink from the VITEC chip on the card, I had to force it left-rigt but I had no luck. So I heated up (iIdiot) the card with Solac - TH-8320 for a 15-20 sec...then the heatsink came off wihout any problem...

For my bad luck, it smelled a bit strange...but I cannot see any exploded/overheated part. A little part of the VITEC and PULSE chip are broken, I used a very cheap multimeter to check /not me, one of my friends/ and he told me that there is maybe some short circuit on the PULSE chips. Some guys told me that the VITEC chip work without problem if that little square is broken...

Here are the pics, again, the broken parts are labelled with yellow circle

Sorry
    Last edited by lexer; 03-03-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by materijalmen View Post
    The cooler on the card was an Thermalright T-Rad2. I tried to took off the aluminium heathsink from the VITEC chip on the card, I had to force it left-rigt but I had no luck. So I heated up (iIdiot) the card with Solac - TH-8320 for a 15-20 sec...then the heatsink came off wihout any problem...

For my bad luck, it smelled a bit strange...but I cannot see any exploded/overheated part. A little part of the VITEC and PULSE chip are broken, I used a very cheap multimeter to check /not me, one of my friends/ and he told me that there is maybe some short circuit on the PULSE chips. Some guys told me that the VITEC chip work without problem if that little square is broken...

Here are the pics, again, the broken parts are labelled with yellow circle

Well if the quality is that bad, it shouldn't be too hard finding a borked one on Flee Bay. The one on the right looks easy to find the 1 on the left doesn't.
    RIVE/3930K Water
    16GB Gskill Ripjaw X 2133
    2X Intel CherryVille 520 60GB Raid O
    2X HD 7970 VisionTec
    Corsair AX1200

Biostar TP45HP, GA-X48-DQ6 , Maximus IV Gene Z