Thread: Water Cooling Monitoring

Water Cooling Monitoring

Hello everyone Im setting up a new water cooling build I want to be able to control the fans of the radiators, speed of the pump. I also want information to be displayed such as flow rate, water temperature, fan speed, cpu/gpu temperature. Are there any front 5.2 bay devices that offer this for water cooling ? Also my pump is going to be a d5 pump so can this pump be controlled from and front bay device ?

Thanks

Xtreme Member
    Aquero 5 pro or XT fits the bill and you can get a aquacomputer d5 you can control via software or just get a vario with 5 settings.

Ok so ive looked at the aquero 5 XT and really love it, im considering buying it however I have a few questioning such as lets say I have two quad 120mm rads with 4 fans on each rad and each fan requires 12V to run properly that a total of 8 fans and 96V I dont understand how the wring will be done and then connect it to the 4 channel on the aquero controller. Can I connect all the fan on each radiator to one single wire and connect that to the aquero controller but will the aquero give enough voltage to run the fan on the rads ?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderD View Post
    Can I connect all the fan on each radiator to one single wire and connect that to the aquero controller but will the aquero give enough voltage to run the fan on the rads ?
    Yes, it's not really to do with voltage more like the amount of watts and amps that it can handle, unless you are running some really high rpm fans you will be fine.
    The pump I was talking about in my above post is: http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_...oducts_id=2901
    Last edited by m_jones_; 08-29-2013 at 01:49 PM.

I will be getting a radiator with FTI of 14 what sort of fans should I get ? Is the Noctua NF-F12 running at lets say 800 - 1500 rpm. Im only going to run the fan on higher rpm when playing games but typical computer use ill be turning them low.
    If I use a 3 Pin Fan Splitter Cable 4 Way and then connect the 3pin to one of the fan channels to the Aquero 5 also do this with the other quad radiator. Will the Aquero 5 give enough watts to run all the fans at 1500 rpm for 5 mins or so ?

Also the you suggested ive looked at it, can I directly connect this to the Aquero 5 and then again will the Aquero 5 provide the 12V to the pump to run or do I need to connect it in a different way ?

All can the aquero 5 show gpu temp as well as cpu temp ?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderD View Post
    I will be getting a radiator with FTI of 14 what sort of fans should I get ? Is the Noctua NF-F12 running at lets say 800 - 1500 rpm. Im only going to run the fan on higher rpm when playing games but typical computer use ill be turning them low.
    If I use a 3 Pin Fan Splitter Cable 4 Way and then connect the 3pin to one of the fan channels to the Aquero 5 also do this with the other quad radiator. Will the Aquero 5 give enough watts to run all the fans at 1500 rpm for 5 mins or so ?
    Gentle Typhoons are still the king of fans in the watercooling community it just depends which rpm you like the most. The aquaero is more than man enough to deal with them fans see here: http://martinsliquidlab.org/2011/12/...w-guide-wip/9/

Also the you suggested ive looked at it, can I directly connect this to the aquaero 5 and then again will the aquaero 5 provide the 12V to the pump to run or do I need to connect it in a different way ?
    You don't directly connect the power to the aquaero only the aquabus and you get power from the molex connector.

All can the aquero 5 show gpu temp as well as cpu temp ?
    Yes, they sky is the limits with the device.

Martin has a great in dept review on the aquaero 5 http://martinsliquidlab.org/2011/12/...iew-guide-wip/
    Another helpful link: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...uaero-5-series

Wow no wounder this device costs allot So these gentle typhoon fans basically have a 4pin molex connector for power and a 3 pin speed signal connector, this I can connect to the 4way splitter and connect this to the aquero 5 fan channel right and this is same for the aqua pump right ? Also does this mean that I cant control the 4 radiator fans separately or get the temperature separately but Ill have to control them as one unit ?

Does the aquaero device does it get the CPU and GPU real time temp via the USB that you have to connect to the motherboard or are these separate wires that I need to connect ?

With the Aquero 5 XT it has the 4 programmable button can I set these button to lets say change the fan speed to 25%, the pump speed to 50%, switch off LED lights ?

And can I use other inline flow rate devices to connect to the aquero then just using the aqua flow rate device ?

Also what exactly is the Aquacomputer USB Poweradjust 2 Pump Controller is this basically to control if you have 2 pumps ?
    Last edited by SpiderD; 08-29-2013 at 04:41 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    SpiderD. You know anything about watercooling yet? Ever built a WC rig? Are you a top builder with 20+ builds in the last 3 years? Maybe your shooting for the moon but don't realize it's 250,000 miles away.

You should have a great grasp of watercooling first and have at least one build under your belt/

You mention your looking at a 17 FPI rad and have no idea what fans to get. Your way over your head. All I'll do is post this, so maybe you'll slow down and learn.

Your first WC rig needs no magic $300+ monitoring. All you need is CPU and GPU temps. And 20-100 hours of learning. You wonder why so few do custom watercooling? It's complicated.

http://www.overclockers.com/beginner...water-cooling/

This is just a VERY basic start. Not enuff info to do it yet. After 5 hours on this and looking up on Google for extra credit, then you can move to this:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=71

See the BIG YELLOW STICKIES? Good.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Hi SpiderD,
    Every one of us started from the bottom. And there are two ways: do it without asking and do it with asking. 
    I did it without – because reading the manual is stupid too. This is the very expensive way.
    You try it with asking – out of today’s perspective: good.
    What system do you want to cool? Only CPU or CPU and GPU, SLI/Crossling GPU? OC or no OC.
    Low temperatures or silent or both?
    Very importent: your Budget.
    Depending on this information, the radiator size will be determined.
    Depending on the question if internal or external, the kind of radiator(s) has to be determined.
    Then the fans, the tube, the connectors, and so on.
    I’m for controlling everything inside my PC's – the Aquaero is the first step. Because it runs together with a free software which integrates pump, flow meters, temp sensors – even pressure sensors for the liquid. Fans can be attached and if you cool the transistors (with air (Al block) or with a Cu water block) you can attach many fans.
    You see some previous decisions and then some planning are needed.
    Keep on, read some instructions and then make a plan. Ask and you receive answers.
    By the way I have 3 running Systems, two with liquid cooling, one air cooled. All have a Aquaero 4 or 5(LT;XT) for monitoring the components inside (the air-cooled has two for Monitoring separate fans)
    Last edited by GliderHR; 08-29-2013 at 11:34 PM.

And if you wait: the Aquaero 6 is coming soon.
    The text is in German, but the new Aquaero has much less heat production inside the fan controller.
    See shoggies post.
    Last edited by GliderHR; 09-03-2013 at 11:10 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by GliderHR View Post
    And if you wait: the Aquaero 6 is coming soon.
    The text is in German, but the new Aquaero has much less heat production inside the fan controller.

I just ordered a 5.. when is the 6 coming out?

Can we get a link to the Aquaero 6 info please

Edit: Nevermind;
    http://forum.aquacomputer.de/wasserk...neu-aquaero-6/

Looks like a great improvement, but I don't think it offers me anything new enough to upgrade just yet. If my power needs increase it is nice to know it is there now.
    Last edited by Jakusonfire; 08-30-2013 at 11:15 PM.

They say it will come in October - I think this is very optimistic.
    I ordered a Aquaero 5 Pro three weeks ago....
    I see many improvements. One is that the amplifiers have uncooled each 2.5 A, cooled 3.0 A = 20 normal fans on each of the four ports, or a pump on each port.
    For me the Molex connector moved to a better position. They will not sell Aquaero 6 LT's (guess why..), only XT and Pro.

conumdrum im on the learning curve and this is my first water cooling build, but I have experience from building a air cooling build. GliderHR to get the ball rolling this is what ive planned so far:

1500 - 1600 pounds for budget
    1)Cosair 900D:- Fell in love with the case, the space you can mess about with, big window and future proof with any other builds.

2)Ivy Bridge i5 3570K over clocked to 4.5GHz - 4.8GHz:- I dont nees the i7 as its only abit more faster and more expensive.

3)GTX 670 2GB over clocked to 1200MHz:- GTX 670 has allot of waterblocks available and as im water cooling why not overclock it.

4)MSI Z77-MPower:- Really good board with wifi and bluetooth also at a good price of ?150.

5)Modular PSU 1000W

6)16GB 1600MHz RAM: Perhaps over them to 2000MHz.

Water Cooling Components
    1)CPU Block:- Undecided perhaps EK
    2)GPU Bloc:- EK or XSPC GTX 670 acrylic block, i domy know if a back plate is needed or not.
    3)Aqua D5 pump with USB interface:- Picking this pump because of its usb interface that connects with the aqeruo 5
    6)EK acrylic pump top.
    7)250 ml reservoir.
    8)Fittings:- Compression fittings because it looks good and is better, bit dont want to spend too much.
    9)Tubing:- Undecided I dont understand which size tubing is better for flow rate, performance and maintenance.
    10)Two 480mm Radiator:- Ive decided this because I can fit one at the top and one at the bottom. But in terms of FPI 17 but is that too much or less i dint really know yet.
    11)Fans:- basied on what ive google the top fans are Gentle Typhoons and cosair 120s. But I dont really understand what sort of rpm.i need aswell as the static pressure.

Also what about draining the system whats best way to set a system up for easy draining and filling?
    And also how much of a difference does and push and pull configuration make compared to normal configuration ?
    And lastly why do allot of build I see they use different fans for the front and rear of the case and different set of fans for the radiators internally?
    Last edited by SpiderD; 08-31-2013 at 07:50 PM.

My opinion and/or recommendations:
    1)+2) +3) depend on personal decisions
    4) Monitoring with a Aquaero is good.
    5) Acrylic or POM pump top: personal decisions
    6) Acrylic reservoir: personal decisions (=> cylindric one : have a trend to get little cracks depending on fluid)
    8) Compression fittings: I made a test which fitting is better and found that fittings which are a little bit larger than the inner diameter of the tube are more tight. (i.e.for 16/10 tube (mm) use 16/11 fitttings.
    See here: http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community...gs-963610.html
    9) tubing; all above 10mm inner diameter has small influence on flow. The biggest jump in flow is from 6 to 8 mm and from 8 to 10 mm. I personal prefer 16/10, but 13/10 is acceptable if there are no narrow curves.
    10) 2*480 (45 or 60 mm) are sufficient. Try to get fresh air for cooling.
    11) Gentle Typhoons are good, even for fan sandwich, eLoops are good too, but only for single fan layer. If you use the Aquaero you can control fan speed related to water temperature and personal noise feeling. 1900/2100 max rpm is good, they can go down to 800 rpm – but this is my noise feeling. 2100 is loud. 800 is silent (for me) .
    12) Case fans should be as large as possible do move much air at low speed.
    13) draining one triple connector at the deepest position with a valve could help draining,

Ivy i5 and a 670 don't really produce much heat. If you've got space for 2 x 480 rad, you can go low restriction and really slow fans. Don't need 1900 rpm. Could go with eLoop B12-2 because they can go right down below 600rpm easily. Super silent system.

Xtreme Mentor
    Maybe since your new at watercooling you should get the basics first.

One CPU?

One GPU?

Two 480mm rad? Don't know much about heatload etc yet eh? You can do it on one 480.

Expecting what OC on the CPU? Good luck. 3570k is a great CPU, getting 4.7, depends on your OC skillz and your CPU.

You mention static pressure for fans. You know what that means? But your choices are good.

Compression fittings cost more than barbs with clamps, don't want to spend too much? BArbs are cheaper, just as good.

Basically you need guidance, good info, and research. You have none of that yet. Or spent the time to learn.

Start here, spend 3 weeks to a few months at this forum and begin your WC journey. This is a SMALL sticky of stuff at this forum you need to know.
    http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...96&postcount=3

And getting silly crazy with the pump and controller as a noob just adds a billion issues you don't want at the start. NO, do not do it.

You don't need all this fancy Aquero stuff to start. And the pump you picked. You don't need it.

You can't go to Mars till you achieve orbit, and you still don't understand the rockets to get to orbit.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Yeah, controlling stuff is not necessary until you have problems with temperatures or flow.
    You don’t need a filter until your block is filled with plasticizer or dirt from the radiator.
    I love the threads were a newbie needs help due to high CPU temps and can give no information about inner parameters of his system.
    Knowing the water temperature: good.
    Knowing flow and maybe change over months: good.
    Seeing dirt caught in the filter: good (because it is not caught in the cooling blocks) and can be removed without complete disassembly of the system.
    My opinion.

Xtreme Member
    I vote as if it is for me
    1)Cosair 900D:-
    My first choice

6)16GB 1600MHz RAM: Perhaps over them to 2000MHz.
    Do you really need 16 Go of ram ?

EK or XSPC GTX 670 acrylic block, i domy know if a back plate is needed or not.
    back plate is only for the look

3)Aqua D5 pump with USB interface:- Picking this pump because of its usb interface that connects with the aqeruo 5
    Good choice

6)EK acrylic pump top.
    why not

7)250 ml reservoir.
    Good acrylic = no problems (not all mlanufacturers use good acrylic)
    I am amazed by the quality of the acrylic of my ek reservoir in comparison to other brands i have.
    But i don't recommand the ek bay reservoir, it's a pain to bleed.
    Good reservoir = swiftech mc res micro but you have to think how to mount it.

8)Fittings:- Compression fittings because it looks good and is better, bit dont want to spend too much.
    10/13 compression is a good choice. If it is not for the look, don't spend too much on these

9)Tubing:- Undecided I dont understand which size tubing is better for flow rate, performance and maintenance.
    10/13.

10)Two 480mm Radiator.
    If you want silence it is a good choice.
    Thicker rad does not mean better performance.
    At low fan speed a slim rad can perform on par with a thicker rad :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	radthermalbarcharts7.png 
Views:	214 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	131228

Gentle Typhoons and cosair 120s.
    Gentle typhoons : good choice.
    It can have a slight motor noite (ball bearing)
    I have noiseblocker m12 s2 = good fans

Also what about draining the system whats best way to set a system up for easy draining and filling?
    A T at the bottom with a tap/valve (i don't know the correct word)

And also how much of a difference does and push and pull configuration make compared to normal configuration ?
    What do you care about is this 2 facts :
    - More radiator area = better cooling, 420 rad > 360 rad, 480 rad > 360 rad ...
    - Less fans = less noise = less power consumption = less cables
    Exemple : 2 x 480 rad is wayyyyyyyyyyy superior than 1 x 480 rad in push/pull configuration

And with 2 x 480 rads, you don't need push/pull even at 800 rpm

And lastly why do allot of build I see they use different fans for the front and rear of the case and different set of fans for the radiators internally?
    Because they have done a lot of builds and fans are expansive so they use fans from previous builds or fans wich come with the new cases (or older cases)