Thread: making home movies

Hybrid View

making home movies

Was just wondering if anyone here can give me some advice on a project I have in mine....what hardware,software etc I will need.
    I have a bunch of Sony 8mm video camera tapes that I want to digitize then be able to edit them on my PC and make some movies with titles etc.
    I guess I'll need some kind of video capture card to translate the analog 8mm signal from my Sony Handy cam(circa 1996) into a digital format?
    Other than Windows Movie Maker can anyone suggest some freeware that maybe better suited to turning the files into a movie?
    Thanks for any help.

<mods please move this thread if its the wrong forum for it>
    If you want to get rid of someone...lend them some money.

Blimey...1043 views of this post and not a single reply...

Waves hand...."This isn't the forum you're looking for....move along"
    <Obiwan>

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xray View Post
    Blimey...1043 views of this post and not a single reply...

Waves hand...."This isn't the forum you're looking for....move along"
    <Obiwan>
    Alright, I'll take a stab at it then (please double check all I say!).

For capture you could check out BlackmagicDesign. They have excellent stuff for the money. I have absolutely no idea what connectors your camera has so you should tell people what they are before people can recommend stuff to you.

For editing you could check out Premiere Pro. I know they at least had the 1 month free demo earlier this year, and then they introduced a cloud based version which is basically a subscription payed monthly or annually (though the actual app is local). Should have tight integration to the BlackmagicDesign stuff but may be overkill for you, I don't know.

Both of the above are professional solutions for not that much money. You're probably looking at $250-$400 I'm guessing, depending on how fast you can learn to edit and get it done.
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....

ok...thanks for the reply