Thread: DCS World (forget about ARMA)

Xtreme Addict

DCS World (forget about ARMA)

Now this is a real sim, not that lousy, awful game by infamous studio Bohemia Interactive.
    This game looks awesome, it's a great idea to join all their sims in a single universe.
    http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/world/

If you have the A-10 sim then you get the A-10 DLC for free.
    Do any of you play this game? Would you like to have a game?

More links:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...-free-for-all/

This one is also part of DCS World:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/240300/

I was looking for a modern day tank sim and this one seems the best you can get right now.

Xtreme Mentor
    don't worry it is very easy to forget about ARMA. even i don't need this

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtremeish
    Looks cool!

Since we are on about tanks, you probably have tried it already and its in a bit of a different ball park, but World of Tanks is pretty fun! ^^
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Addict
    Ehem... I never played WoT

Many friends told me it's a fun game but I wanted to play with modern tanks.
    Perhaps I should give it a go though.

c[_]
    WoT is a grind fest

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    WoT is a grind fest
    Thanks for saving my time.
    I get bored really fast with those games.

ARMA haters like me lol !!! yay !!!
    Intel Core i9-7980XE@ 4.8GHz 18C/18TH (Direct Die Contact)
    ASRock X299 OC Formula
    ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D80 (4x8GB) DDR4-3800C17 B-Die
    1x Intel Optane SSD 905P 480GB
    4x HP EX950 NVMe 2TB on ASRock ULTRA M.2 CARD
    EVGA RTX 2080TI KINGPIN 2190/8000 Stock Cooling AIO 240
    SilverStone ST1500W-TI TITANIUM
    Alphacool Custom Water Cooling

Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    don't worry it is very easy to forget about ARMA. even i don't need this
    jajajjaa
    Intel Core i9-7980XE@ 4.8GHz 18C/18TH (Direct Die Contact)
    ASRock X299 OC Formula
    ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D80 (4x8GB) DDR4-3800C17 B-Die
    1x Intel Optane SSD 905P 480GB
    4x HP EX950 NVMe 2TB on ASRock ULTRA M.2 CARD
    EVGA RTX 2080TI KINGPIN 2190/8000 Stock Cooling AIO 240
    SilverStone ST1500W-TI TITANIUM
    Alphacool Custom Water Cooling

Xtremeish
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    WoT is a grind fest
    Definitely true.

Quote Originally Posted by gongo View Post
    That's the problem that I have with a lot of those kind of "free to play"/"pay to win"/subscription type games. The only way to get anywhere is A LOT of grinding. And that's kind of the point, isn't it? To get you frustrated to the point where you're finally willing to part ways with a little more money. Whatever happened to the one-time fee of $50 and then I can use anything in the game? This whole unlocking tree concept is annoying to me.
    You are both right in your own personal regard, but I really don't see an issue with this. Most games today present some kind of curve where you either unlock new gadgets, items, skills, perks or even characters. I think this is nice because it gives the game a more dynamic nature where changes happens over time, often in conjunction with the learning curve. So you will improve your own skills and the stuff in game and really feel the consequence of it.

WoT is not pay to win, I find this to be quite wrong, pay to grind faster however is much more accurate. You really can't buy yourself into getting better, because you will always find yourself in a battle with equal tanks, equal rank or higher. The only thing that remains is your ability to understand the flow of the battlefield, this cannot be bought.
    Premium tanks that can only be bought with cash is an exception to the rule, but you wont win because of it, more experienced players will still have you for lunch.
    Almost forgot premium ammo, which can be bought with real cash or in-game cash, this will give you slight a edge on armor penetration. I still think the above is more important, but it is more debatable.

As far as grind fest being negative, it's not like you can't have fun in the lower tiers(WoT has 10 tiers, WW1 tanks to late WW2 tanks and up to around 1955). There really isn't a sweet spot of fun nor a ultimate goal of getting to rank X.
    Consider it this way:
    BF3 is not boring because you cant use every single piece of equipment at rank 1, it's fun to play and unlock new things along the way while meeting players with different configuration than you.
    Planetside 2 is not fun because of the small upgrades, since its about teamwork and large battles. Teamwork will always beat equipment.
    League of Legends and other moba games are fun because you can unlock new characters and make small improvements to the ones you like. Edging out specific abilities and constantly morphing your style against different team compositions.
    Similar trend in RPG's where your avatar constantly changes equipment and improves his skills. Attributed by a story and quests.
    Last edited by Kallenator; 08-21-2013 at 05:59 AM.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'll happily try this out, alongside ARMA as I don't listen to people with heavy agendas telling me not to do things.

As for grinding, I spent most of my youth grinding in games to either gather loot (Diablo, Lineage, EQ etc) or get better times/scores (Sonic, Mario, Zelda, Mahjong etc) but what with work & other commitments I have to choose my "grinds" carefully.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    DCS world is free and you get a plane to fly with that. You can join any world server that has that plane as an option. Not sure how anyone could not try out a free study sim with a meticulously detailed pit.

I just picked up Huey and have been trying to come to grips with becoming combat effective in it. I have A10C and BS2 as well. I like the Helos better than the fixed wing. Can't wait till Mi8 comes out as well. I have not fired up the Frogfoot yet, but I plan to do so after I get the Huey sorted out a bit more. I did not find the Hog to be too much fun. Very slow and very easily shot down by real jets. Frogfoot at least has a little more speed than it and seems more SAM proof somehow as well. I cant wait till they upgrade their graphics engine. Sad that I have a i7 quad that only uses 2 cores. 1 for everything but sound and then sound obviously on the second core.

I am Power5 in DCS world as well. I am EST in USA so usually gaming between 7PM and xx:xxAM if I get time. With DCS world their servers are becoming much more populated.
    Aaron___________________________Wife________________________ HTPC
    intel i7 2600k_____________________AMD5000+ BE @ 3ghz___________AMD4850+ BE @ 2.5ghz
    stock cooling______________________CM Vortex P912_______________ Foxconn A7GM-S 780G
    AsRock Extreme 4_________________ GB GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G_______OCZ SLI 2gb PC6400
    4gb 1600 DDR3___________________ OCZ Plat 2GB PC6400___________Avermedia A180 HDTV tuner
    MSI 48901gb 950/999______________Tt Toughpower 600w___________ Saphire 4830
    Corsair HX620____________________ inwin allure case___________ ___ Coolmax 480w
    NZXT 410 Gunmetal________________Acer 23" 1080p________________ LiteOn BD player
    X2gen 22" WS
    ________________ ________________________________ nMediaPC 1000B case