59 67.05%
  • Neither. I have another suggestion!

4 4.55%
Page 1 of 29 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: <Project> Black Freighter </Project>

Xtreme Member

<Project> Black Freighter </Project>

Aarr and welcome aboard, Mateys!

My goal for this build is to improve my lc modding, learn more, and most of all have the most enjoyable time doing it. I tend to go off on tangeants (like now), but I usually reel myself in before hurting myself (sometimes).

I know "International Speak Like A Pirate day" has come and past so pardon the ship reference. And my labeling? Seriously debatable:

Specs:
    Engine: Intel i7 920 CPU
    Heart: Corsair (duh) HX 1000W
    Main Deck: Either Asus Rampage Extreme 2 or EVGA Classified x58
    Pirate Cards: GTX 285 x2
    Vessel Moniker: Black Freighter
    Hull: Mountain Mods Extended Ascension
    Cabin: Mountain Mods Extended Pedestal
    Rudders: S-Flex G, Yate Loons, Scythe Kaze Maru
    Lanyards: MDPC-X Psychopack kit and MDPC-X custom order
    Storage Deck: Seagate Barracuda 1.5Tb x 4 Raid1
    Readouts: Matrix Orbital, Thermaltake (yes, Thermaltake 7" LCD monitor)
    Connectors, Adaptors and Rotaries: Bitspower galore
    GPS (I'm reaching now): Kingston HyperX DDR3 12GB
    Captain's Quarters (Wow. Somebody stop me.): Western Digital V-raps 300Gb x 2 Raid0

Plumbing:
    Tubing:
    Primochill Pro LRT Black, Blue, and Clear 1/2” ID 3/4” OD (Color scheme may change. Uncertain if this combination of colors will look appealing. We'll see. )
    Pumps:
    Swiftech MCP 655 x1
    Swiftech MCP 355 x2
    Res:
    XSPC Acrylic Top x2 or EK-DDC X-RES 140 x2
    EK-Multioption 250 rev.2 x1
    Rads:
    Feser X-Changer Monsta Extreme 420/360 x1
    Feser X-Changer QUAD 480 Extreme x1
    Feser X-Changer Triple 360 Extreme x1
    Blocks:
    Nickel Plated Heatkiller CPU Rev3.0 Block 1366
    EK-FC285 GTX GW Nickel GPU Blocks x2

HeadWare:
    RealTemps
    Core Temp
    CPU-Z
    GPU-Z
    PC Probe
    Windows 7

The Mountain Mod case arrived in perfect condition and took over an hour to release all the parts from the super-human packaging.
    It shall be powdercoated after I've fitted the guts and banged her up a bit.
    Enough of my yammerin'. Some preliminary pics:

The Pedestal

The Feser Family hanging out. L to R 360, 480, and the Monsta.

Thanks for checking in!
    Last edited by CptDreadFlint; 09-26-2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: "i" before "e" except after "c" doesn't apply in "freighter"? :S
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Now Playing

black freighter: i7 920 | evga classified | mm extended ascension pedestal | 2 x 300gb vraps
    dead men tell no tales build: q9770 | asus striker 2 extreme | 2x4gb ddr3 ocz reaper | 2 x gtx 280 oc2 | 2x 300gb vraps | mm ufo-cyo | pcp&c 1200W

First in! Wow - looks very exciting ... and, ummm, BIG

You can fit a lot of bounty in that freighter!

Xtreme Member
    holy radiators...

Xtreme Member
    wow awesome! you got nice photography also!

what camera are you using?
    CPU:Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz (4.05GHz for bench)
    CASE: Corsair Obsidian 800D
    RAM:4GB OCZ SLi RAM @ 800 Mhz 5-4-4-15
    MOBO:EVGA 780i SLi MB
    GPU:Sapphire 5870
    PSU:Corsair HX850
    RAM COOLING: Dominator Airflow RAM Cooler
    HDD1:WD raptor 150 Gb 10,000 RPM
    HDD2:Samsung 500GB 7,200 RPM
    Monitor:LG 24" Flatron W2452T
    RAD:Thermochill Pa120.3
    CPU BLOCK:Swiftech GTZ
    PUMP:Laing DDC 12V 18w Pump With XSPC Top
    RES: EK 150 Res

MDPC
    Hehe - niiiiiice!
    All the best for this worklog!

Xtreme Addict
    Blimey! Blow me down. I fancy yer "Davey Jones' Locker" housing they call The Pedestal.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    ... and, ummm, BIG
    Hi Shazza... Yes. HUGE. After assembling just the hull, I had a dream later that night best described in the following pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Welshman666 View Post
    wow awesome! you got nice photography also!

what camera are you using?
    Thanks Welsh! I am using the Canon 50D with the stock lens. Some macro shots using a 100mm f/2.8 lens will be posted soon. I probably haven't scratched the surface to see what this puppy can offer me, but it's been serving me well despite the continued abuse I put it through.

Quote Originally Posted by dualbrain View Post
    Hehe - niiiiiice!
    All the best for this worklog!
    Appreciate the wishes, Nils and thanks for the Vitamin C surprise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAqua View Post
    Blimey! Blow me down. I fancy yer "Davey Jones' Locker" housing they call The Pedestal.
    Thanks for stopping by Kirk. Any input would be welcomed especially if I start to fubar this project, Matey.
    Last edited by CptDreadFlint; 09-26-2009 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Camera model. Forgot "0". Big difference. Oops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Now Playing

black freighter: i7 920 | evga classified | mm extended ascension pedestal | 2 x 300gb vraps
    dead men tell no tales build: q9770 | asus striker 2 extreme | 2x4gb ddr3 ocz reaper | 2 x gtx 280 oc2 | 2x 300gb vraps | mm ufo-cyo | pcp&c 1200W

Xtreme Member
    I personally love the look of the NoiseBlockers XL-2 Rev.3. Granted, with the blades spinning at 1500rpm, they'll be just a big blur. The smooth sound of the bearings, translucence of the blades, solid feel of the casing and the excellent performance to noise ratios showed by Martin's retesting had me sold.

Sad to yank the stickers off of these:

On the 480:

140mm Scythe in pull on the Monsta. I may push-pull later if I have room and if getting 3 more 140mm's can eek out another degree or two lower:

Organizing the fan tails in p-clips and installing exhaust fans will follow:

Grills on the fans and fittings on the rads after a successful leak test is on the list of "To Do's". Powder coating will ultimately follow:

So much more. So little time.
    Last edited by CptDreadFlint; 09-26-2009 at 05:59 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Now Playing

Xtreme Guru
    Nice photo work there. Those blue NBs look really nice.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Recruit
    Looking good, this will be an interesting build!
    Lian Li PC-P80 Powder Coated Black | i7 920 @ 4.0GHz | EVGA 580 GTX | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | Corsair Dominator 6Gb | Corsair HX850W | Intel X25-M G2 80GB | Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB | MDPC White Sleeve

Water cooling: Aquastream XT Ultra | XSPC RX360 | Heat Killer CPU Rev. 3.0 LT | EK Water Blocks 580 GTX | EK-FB RE2 NB/SB Nickel | EK Multioption Res 150

^^-Virgin Suicide Project - Liquid cooled Lian Li P80-^^

Really like the looks and performance of the Noiseblockers. Got a good chuckle at your dream shot.

All the photos are great, but this one is the money shot for me:

Xtreme Addict
    Have to agree with you shazza! Tis a purty shot!!! Wish I could do decent photos like that

I ahve a long way to learn with my lil fuji cam

~Bex
    PROJECT :: The Xtreme (WET) Dream!!!

PERSONAL H2O BESTS :
    E8600 @ 4.8GHz
    E6750 @ 4GHz QX9650 @ 4.6GHz
    i7 920 @ 4.6GHz

PERSONAL AIR BESTS :
    Sempron140 @ 4Ghz (Stock Cooler)
    i7 3960x @ 5.4ghz (Air Cooler)

Bex : "Who said girls can't play PC games or overclock!? Do I look like your imagination!?"
    Aaron : "TBH, a girl doing all that is a pretty perfect girl!"
    Swift_Wraith : "could someone please check bex for a penis?"

Looks like it will be awesome!!!
    Waiting for updates ^^
    Runnin on nVidia and Intel

GG - GREEK GAMER

Xtreme Member
    ooh ^^
    another one i am going to follow
    proud to be from Belguim ^^

Lightpainting and hardware are my life!

Xtreme Guru
    +1 on Shazza. That is a sick shot there. I've been getting tempted to get into photography looking at all your photos, but I already have too many expensive hobbies.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Member
    looks like this is going to awesome! all of these new MM builds are top notch! love those NB's too they make me drool....
    Current System:

Coolermaster HAF 932
    XFX 680i LT SLI Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.99 GHz
    4 Gb (2x 2Gb) OCZ SLI-Ready RAM
    2x XFX 8800gt XXX edition @ 690/975
    1x 300GB Western Digital Caviar HDD

Those pics look very pro dude, what camera are you using ?
    cable sleeving looks superb! and case OMG can you hide at the back of it ?

Keep up the good work m8
    and keep those pics coming!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Always good to see another big ass MM case!

I'm sure it will turn out awesome!
    i7 970 4.0 Ghz 1.325v // Asus P6X58D Premium // Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit // 12gb Corsair Dominators // 2- GTX 580 Hydrocoppers in SLI// 2-OCZ Vertex 2 Raid//128Gb Corsair SSD (Temp Storage) // Custom Wall Mount Case // Corsair 1000W // SyncMaster 2433BW // Dual loops 2-laing 355's each with XSPC dual top // (UN) 3G Brackets & X-Brackets // Swiftech Apogee XT // 2 x 120.3 & 2 x 120.2 Swiftech Rads//

Wall Mount Build Log: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=242186
    MM Extended Ascension Build Log:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=212236[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by CptDreadFlint View Post
    I personally love the look of the NoiseBlockers XL-2 Rev.3. Granted, with the blades spinning at 1500rpm, they'll be just a big blur. The smooth sound of the bearings, translucence of the blades, solid feel of the casing and the excellent performance to noise ratios showed by Martin's retesting had me sold.
    Where did you purchase those Noiseblocker BlackSilent XL2 Rev3 120mm fans from, they sure are sexy, and I'm in the market for fans.

Thx

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSthlm View Post
    Looking good, this will be an interesting build!
    Thank you! Your virgin suicide build is coming along nicely. SCORE on the price of your powder coating! I once tried to purchase a digital caliper. They wanted an arm, a leg, and a kidney for it. So I either eyeball everything or use an old wooden ruler with the numbers all rubbed off that I stole from my 4th grade classroom's supply closet AKA a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Really like the looks and performance of the Noiseblockers. Got a good chuckle at your dream shot.

All the photos are great, but this one is the money shot for me:
    Thank you, Shazza! I guess running around recklessly with camera in hand and a finger on the shutter button with my pants on fire will accidentally yield at least one decent shot. Based on the positive feedback from that shot, I'm thinking of making it part of my sig. Wife dug that same photo.

Quote Originally Posted by RCG_Bex View Post
    Have to agree with you shazza! Tis a purty shot!!! Wish I could do decent photos like that

I ahve a long way to learn with my lil fuji cam

~Bex
    Very impressive OC numbers on those procs! Thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis13 View Post
    Looks like it will be awesome!!!
    Waiting for updates ^^
    Your avatar rocks! Literally. While I have never heard of that particular lp, Bruce Dickenson owned all (I'm old school). Thanks for your feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by millertime359 View Post
    +1 on Shazza. That is a sick shot there. I've been getting tempted to get into photography looking at all your photos, but I already have too many expensive hobbies.
    Thank you! In my misguided youth, I pursued a career as a musician. Started out as a hobby. Not that you need any more ideas for expensive hobbies but I had to sell fruit off L.A. freeway off ramps because I FAILED at it. Pardon the overshare! But photography nowadays is SO MUCH CHEAPER than how it all used to be. If you have an itch, go for it. Gone are the days of 35mm where you had to buy film for every 36 exposures, run to Thrifty's to have it processed, and crossing your fingers they turn out well. Nowadays it's, "Cool. It comes with a card thingy that stores THAT much? or "I can take HOW many photos with this? Whoa!" Trust. It's infinitely cheaper now. If you have a computer and I trust that you do since you're now reading this, you're SO much ahead of the game. And on a side note...it makes modding even that much more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by badboyze View Post
    Those pics look very pro dude, what camera are you using ?
    cable sleeving looks superb! and case OMG can you hide at the back of it ?

Keep up the good work m8
    and keep those pics coming!
    Thank you for the compliment! lol! I'm no pro. I'm using the Canon 50D. Not too long ago, I couldn't photograph myself out of a paperbag. (Yes. I was once trapped in a paperbag with a camera in hand. And no matter how many pics I took, I was STILL trapped in that paper bag. It really sucked.)

I shall keep the pics coming and hopefully make it worth taking a gander at.

Quote Originally Posted by armeniandave View Post
    Always good to see another big ass MM case!

I'm sure it will turn out awesome!
    You have given me such great ideas, my SoCal neighbour. I'm working on something that you have inspired me to create based from your build. Love the new logo!

Quote Originally Posted by dingdong555 View Post
    This is going to be INSANE.
    Insanity does run in my family. Mum's side. I hear it skips a generation, though. This build is my brainchild. So aye... this build being insane would make complete sense. Good luck on your "Hulk" project. I'm following!

BTW, I miss your bus ad sig. .

Quote Originally Posted by nigelke View Post
    ooh ^^
    another one i am going to follow
    I will try my best to make it worth your while. And can I just say you Belgium folks make the BEST beer, waffles, female tennis players and chocolate. Not necessarily in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by alphadog009 View Post
    looks like this is going to awesome! all of these new MM builds are top notch! love those NB's too they make me drool....
    Thanks alphadog! I dig your plans using the sketchup app you mentioned on your log. I'm a follower. BTW - I'm on the "There is no such thing as too much rads" side of the fence. Add more!

Quote Originally Posted by Weevil View Post
    Where did you purchase those Noiseblocker BlackSilent XL2 Rev3 120mm fans from, they sure are sexy, and I'm in the market for fans.

Thx
    Dude! I was in Santa Cruz just a month ago for a wedding and fell in love with that city. I kept asking the locals there, "Hey, where are all the vampires?" They don't like that, huh?

Anyway, dug the atmosphere there! Hardcore boardwalks in beach cities with roller coasters and cool stuff are a dying thing along the California coastline. Sad.
    Glad to see it alive and well there but kinda creeped out by its tagline: Santa Cruz: "Murder Capital of the World"? Is it because of all the vampires? lol

So while there, I HAD to take a pic of this:

How fitting is that? lol

Oh! I purchased the Noiseblocker at PPCs. LINKY.

Thank you all for the feedback, me hearties! More to come...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Now Playing

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by
    Dude! I was in Santa Cruz just a month ago for a wedding and fell in love with that city. I kept asking the locals there, "Hey, where are all the vampires?" They don't like that, huh?

Anyway, dug the atmosphere there! Hardcore boardwalks in beach cities with roller coasters and cool stuff are a dying thing along the California coastline. Sad.
    Glad to see it alive and well there but kinda creeped out by its tagline: Santa Cruz: "Murder Capital of the World"? Is it because of all the vampires? lol

So while there, I HAD to take a pic of this:

[IMG
    http://lh4.ggpht.com/_QLiEm5wyerY/SsCf7s9VJXI/AAAAAAAAAIg/J2xpD6-zMvM/s800/IMG_2011.jpg[/IMG]

How fitting is that? lol

Oh! I purchased the Noiseblocker at PPCs. LINKY.

Thank you all for the feedback, me hearties! More to come...
    hRmm, never heard about the murder capital thing? We actually have a very low crime rate here.

Murder rate from 1999 through 2007:

1999. 1
    2000. 3
    2001. 0
    2002. 4
    2003. 4
    2004. 1
    2005. 2
    2006. 3
    2007. 1

According to http://www.city-data.com/city/Santa-...alifornia.html

I have heard of the Vampire thing though, but they have equal rights here in northern California ; )

Thanks for the linky!

Xtreme Member
    Haha lookin good man yeah my problem is that it's easy to build in sketchup but getting it to work irl is hard haha if only I had mad skills to machine it... I'm working on a more complete sketchup model so I can work any of the kinks out before I waste materials... I'm watching all these mountain mod builds to see what the best way to do it is I can already tell yours is gonna be amazing and can't wait to learn all the secrets!!!
    Current System:

Coolermaster HAF 932
    XFX 680i LT SLI Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.99 GHz
    4 Gb (2x 2Gb) OCZ SLI-Ready RAM
    2x XFX 8800gt XXX edition @ 690/975
    1x 300GB Western Digital Caviar HDD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great photos, what backdrop and lights are you using?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Weevil View Post
    hRmm, never heard about the murder capital thing?...
    I reckon watching "The Lost Boys" once too many times skewed my perception of the truth. And with those low murder rates, all the more reason for an encore visit to that wonderful city!

Quote Originally Posted by alphadog009 View Post
    ... I'm watching all these mountain mod builds to see what the best way to do it is I can already tell yours is gonna be amazing and can't wait to learn all the secrets!!!
    Thanks alphadog. I'll share all that I know which is relatively little compared to the company we're in.

Quote Originally Posted by bentleya View Post
    Great photos, what backdrop and lights are you using?
    Thanks bentleya. Means a lot coming from you. That one HDR of the telephone pole is pretty sick.
    For the indoor shots I used either 2 softboxes each with 70W fluorescents lamps or just your garden variety fluorescent worklights. It was all bout waiting for that pre-dusk natural light for the outdoor shots. I use regular background paper roll.

Thanks all for checking in!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Now Playing

Page 1 of 29 123411 ... LastLast