Thread: EK... you guys are f***ing killing me tonight... pics...

Xtreme Member

EK... you guys are f***ing killing me tonight... pics...

Decided to go with a dual loop res and pump top. That's another story, but WTF is this? I'm a fan (usually) of EK's quality... but whoever was cutting the delrin last week needs to be shot for both of these...

First up is the res... I have the single loop waterfall res... went with the dual loop one. I understand the design might be slightly different, but have some standards! Here is the comparison of the sides... note the lack of a groove between the "drive bays". My case happens to be one that USES that groove. Cutting it would not have interfered with anything internal to the res. I'll be cutting this one with a dremel (the res, not the case).

I'll give them the last one... designs change, whatever. Note the spacing though on the tapped ports. Using monsoon fittings on the new one hang way below the bottom of the res. The ones in the pic, with the monsoons mounted, are actually drilled HIGHER than the outer ones towards the edge. Compare with the single loop res in the distance.

Last but not least... and a pet peeve of mine because I buy this stuff, hating to drill holes accurately and expecting not to have to... the misaligned holes of the dual D5 (dual loop) pump top. WTH. I tried this multiple ways. Note the scratches from the screw. There is no other way to mount this. Can I leave the one screw out and not have a leak? I really don't feel like drilling that out because the tolerance is so tight and I'm really not that accurate. Maybe I'll give it a shot, but for like $85... it wasn't expected. There's some other shots to show the other holes all lining up except that one. (Ignore the scratch by the other pump as I was trying different positions with it.

So much for a quick re-plumb of the loop...

Um, consider just simply asking for an RMA to get it swapped out? Yeah, frustrating, but that I would think should be the first thing to do.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    I'll admit... I wasn't being the most patient. EK's stuff IS really nice.... I'd definitely buy again. Was just disappointed. The last thing I felt like doing is waiting a week with a system down for one screw hole. /rant

I may re-drill it myself checking on the RMA process and timeline from EK. It's not a tapped section and just a straight shot. Hell, the XSPC I have here only has 4 screws total for one D5. This thing has 14 clamping them down! One shouldn't be that big of a deal to correct.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The Bevels on the Rads are different as well you must have gotten a friday batch.
    Enermax Liberty 620 Modular
    Liquid Stacker
    8GB G.Skill PC2 8800 5-5-5-15 @ 400MHZ (PC6400 Speed)
    DFI LP LT X48-T2R
    Liquid Cooling:
    Thermochill PA 120.3 W/ Panaflo L1BXs/L1As
    D5 andFuzion V2, DD MCP Universal
    8800GTS G92
    Intel Q9450 @3200MHZ @ 1.18v (Wont OC any higher despite voltage increases)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Weird - how does this happen? On the pump top - aren't the drill holes effectively just a CNC file? I have the same Dual D5 top and it lines up just fine. FYI the companies that use acetal or acrylic clamps tend to use 8 screws (14 in the case of a double), but those that use a metal clamp tend to use 4.

Xtreme Member
    Best I can figure... it's a mismatch. The displaced screw hole is because of the 2nd pump outlet port. It's moved because it would drill into the pumps threaded outlet. Maybe this piece is intended for a dual pump / one loop housing?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroOne View Post
    Best I can figure... it's a mismatch. The displaced screw hole is because of the 2nd pump outlet port. It's moved because it would drill into the pumps threaded outlet. Maybe this piece is intended for a dual pump / one loop housing?
    Ah yeah that would make sense. I didn't even realize there was a two loop version of this top.

-100c Club
    Flip the acetal hold-down plate around, AFAIK it is not symetrical It's an old product, before my time so please down get too angry if that's not the case

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiborrr View Post
    Flip the acetal hold-down plate around, AFAIK it is not symetrical It's an old product, before my time so please down get too angry if that's not the case
    Definitely tried that... sat there trying everything for a while thinking "why am I not getting this?" haha. Oh well... gonna dremel and redrill both the res and the pump top in a few.

-100c Club
    Ha, crap then! Please contact our support at www.ekwb.com/support regarding Dual D5 top so we can sort it out for you.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ha, crap then! Please contact our support at www.ekwb.com/support regarding Dual D5 top so we can sort it out for you.
    Yeah I tried this with my single loop dual top when I got home and if it's the wrong way round then 4 screws don't line up not just one. I'm pretty sure OP just got the wrong clamp in the package for the top.

Xtreme Member
    I have no doubt they would have taken care of it, and appreciate that. Managed to re-drill the hole and cut the res pretty quickly. Didn't have my tools the first night... Came out pretty well!