Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AMD to Launch GPU Codenamed Hawaii in Hawaii Sept 25

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    If tahiti scaled better than keplar, the 7970 would have gotten out performed by the gtx 680 in the first place. Remember, the gtx 680 is 20 percent smaller than a 7970.

Also a 7970 and 7950 at the same clocks are 3-5 percent difference in performance(adding more shaders wouldn't do much with the current GCN architecture). Tahiti at the upper end scales worse. I think GCN scales better at the lower end, but reaches its ceiling quicker and scales worse at the top end, hence why gtx 680 and 7970 are so competitive and gtx770 and 7970 ghz are so close.

Improving power consumption is hardly trivial.
    Pointless comparison / speculation.. GK104 scaled poorly between 670 and 680 also.. and it should have scaled better than 7950/7970 since there's also a difference in TMU count. By your logic, Titan should have been a complete flop.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as it stands:

A. We don't know the concrete specs..
    B. We don't know architecture detail (I don't believe?)
    C. Unlike GK104 to GK110 , Tahiti is already compute orientated (i.e "comprimised") so even if you were to try and speculate, you'd have to somehow take this into account.

If Nvidia are getting x performance from Titan on 28nm, to assume AMD can not (if that there's goal) based on a comparison of old technology is SILLY.

Xtreme Member
    Will this September thing be a paper launch or will we actually have some cards to buy?
    I've just put my new rig together and decided to delay my GPU decision as the new 9xxx are so close to launch.
    I bought a cheapo VTX 7750 to tide me over. I can game on it, but only just lol.
    Desktop :-AMD Ryzen 1800X | ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | 16Gb Corsair LPX | Asus Strix Fury | Corsair MP500 480Gb (OS/Apps), Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb (Steam), WD Caviar Green 2Tb (Data) | Lian Li PC-09 WRX | Superflower Leadex Platinum 1600W | Win 10 Pro x64
    Notebook :-Alienware M17x R4 | Intel i7 3630QM | 8Gb DDR3 | AMD Radeon HD 7970M 2Gb | Crucial M4 512Gb | Win 7 Pro
    Media PC :- AMD Sempron LE 1300 | Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-SH2 | 780G chipset/Radeon HD3200 | 2Gb OCZ PC2-6400 | Crucial V4 128Gb | LG GGC-H20L | Win 7 Pro
    Storage :- Windows Home Server 2011 | Chenbro ES34069 | Intel DH67CF | Pentium G620 | 4Gb Corsair Vengence LP DDR3 | Sandisk Ultra 120 Gb SSD (OS) | Highpoint RocketRAID 640 + 4 WD Caviar Red 2Tb RAID 5 (Data)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darxide View Post
    Will this September thing be a paper launch or will we actually have some cards to buy?
    I've just put my new rig together and decided to delay my GPU decision as the new 9xxx are so close to launch.
    I bought a cheapo VTX 7750 to tide me over. I can game on it, but only just lol.
    With the way they have dropped the price on the 7990, I think we may well see some cards on launch. I certainly hope so and I also hope they are able to at least match Titan. With AMD's aggressive pricing, this could be a good win for us the consumer.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Darxide View Post
    In reality, articles about it bring 2 different possibilities, some write will launch.. for other, the words spread are " technical presentation " of the architectures, cards etc..

But whatever if this is not the last week of september, this will be few week after.
    Last edited by Lanek; 08-11-2013 at 05:45 AM.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mAJORD View Post
    Pointless comparison / speculation.. GK104 scaled poorly between 670 and 680 also.. and it should have scaled better than 7950/7970 since there's also a difference in TMU count. By your logic, Titan should have been a complete flop.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as it stands:

A. We don't know the concrete specs..
    B. We don't know architecture detail (I don't believe?)
    C. Unlike GK104 to GK110 , Tahiti is already compute orientated (i.e "comprimised") so even if you were to try and speculate, you'd have to somehow take this into account.

If Nvidia are getting x performance from Titan on 28nm, to assume AMD can not (if that there's goal) based on a comparison of old technology is SILLY.
    Exactly...there is some kind of myth out there that AMD is somehow 2nd rate GPU manufacturers when the fact is, they have consistently pulled more G-flops with a smaller architecture over-and-over. If anything, AMD does a lot more hardware wise then Nvidia. And now with AMD's huge push to fix their drivers and console games being naturally optimized for AMD, things are only looking better for the red team...GPU wise that is. This isn't fan-boism...this is simply recognizing who is doing more for my money.

If Nvidia really believes i'm gong to pay $300 more because their logo is on it...they better think again.
    There are things like 2D Light Boost which are really nice features of Nvidia, but if Nvidia wants to be competitive they need to price their cards similar to AMD's. My Samsung monitor can mimic 2D Light Boost so I'm not missing out on anything by saving $300 with AMD and getting equal if not better performance.

And don't get me wrong, I love you Nvidia fan-boys...you guys are the reason I can buy an AMD card for so cheap. Keep it up...please for the sake of my wallet, keep it up.
    Last edited by DefStar; 08-11-2013 at 06:20 AM.
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --MSI R7970 3GB @1150, 1500 cooled with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme--
    --G.SKILL Ripjaws @2400 MHz --
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --128 GB Sandisk UltraPlus is was only $59 new! Seagate 1TB HD--
    --Samsung S23A750D 120Hz monitor--
    --Razer Tarantula-- keyboard, yes it is like 8 years old!
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    GK104 didn't scale poorly, the 680 was just more bandwidth constrained.
    To compare GFLOPs is only helpful up to a point. Until Kepler, Nvidia had a lot less GFLOPs than AMD yet they always were faster in the end. And even now, AMD gets less gaming performance (about 10%) out of a certain amount of GFLOPs (when all other factors are the same or very similar, compare Tahiti LE vs GK104 or GK106 vs Pitcairn) than Nvidia. If AMD improves their frontend, that will change.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by boxleitnerb View Post
    GK104 didn't scale poorly, the 680 was just more bandwidth constrained.
    Tahiti didn't scale poorly, the 7970 was just more frontend constrained.
    Last edited by LordEC911; 08-11-2013 at 07:55 AM.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Member

i dont know if what i am seeing is right or wrong

i7 4930k @ 4.4 Vcore 1.39
    Custom Water Cooling Setup
    Rampage IV BE
    Dominator GT 2133mhz @cas 9 16G
    Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD
    2 x Evga GTX 780 Ti SC SLI @ 1120mhz
    Corsair AX1500i
    2 x WD 6TB Caviar Green

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TRANCEFORMER View Post
    Just 7xxx series rebranded for OEM's

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMDDeathstar View Post
    Just 7xxx series rebranded for OEM's
    yes sorry didnt realize that
    i7 4930k @ 4.4 Vcore 1.39
    Custom Water Cooling Setup
    Rampage IV BE
    Dominator GT 2133mhz @cas 9 16G
    Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD
    2 x Evga GTX 780 Ti SC SLI @ 1120mhz
    Corsair AX1500i
    2 x WD 6TB Caviar Green

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    Tahiti didn't scale poorly, the 7970 was just more frontend constrained.
    So? It's quite easy to give a GPU more bandwidth. To efficiently distribute work to the ALUs is much more difficult.

Xtreme Addict
    So? It's quite easy to give a GPU more bandwidth. To efficiently distribute work to the ALUs is much more difficult.
    Both are relatively substantial changes...

I was just pointing out that you can't ignore scaling inefficiencies just because the bottleneck is different...
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Both are relatively substantial changes...

I was just pointing out that you can't ignore scaling inefficiencies just because the bottleneck is different...
    Nope, just put 7 or 8 Gbps memory on the card and you're good to go. In the other case, there isn't such an easy solution.
    Kepler scales perfectly with more units. 680 is 2.3x as fast as the 650 Ti (50% of everything, a tad lower clocks). GCN doesn't achieve that, the 7870 is not twice as fast as the 7770, "only" like 90% faster.
    Last edited by boxleitnerb; 08-11-2013 at 10:12 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Nope, just put 7 or 8 Gbps memory on the card and you're good to go. In the other case, there isn't such an easy solution.
    Kepler scales perfectly with more units. 680 is 2.3x as fast as the 650 Ti (50% of everything, a tad lower clocks). GCN doesn't achieve that, the 7870 is not twice as fast as the 7770, "only" like 90% faster.
    Ah, so in your world the MC's are on the GDDR5 ICs...
    Kepler's MCs would need a rework to guarantete +7ghz speeds.

Easy solution for FE is to add more ACE's and have them split up the CUs. Just as easy as adding more MCs or having them work at +7ghz speeds.

And you should be comparing 7970-7770 and GTX680-650ti boost.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ah, so in your world the MC's are on the GDDR5 ICs...
    Kepler's MCs would need a rework to guarantete +7ghz speeds.

Easy solution for FE is to add more ACE's and have them split up the CUs. Just as easy as adding more MCs or having them work at +7ghz speeds.

And you should be comparing 7970-7770 and GTX680-650ti boost.
    It's not even clear if the memory controller of GK104 on the 770 was tweaked for 7 Gbps or if it was already capable of it.

And no to your comparison. It's much easier to compare the SKUs I mentioned since everything is doubled.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Clock speeds are pretty different, 925mhz for the 650Ti versus 1100 for the 680 at boost. Equalise them and the margins should be around 2.1x for the 680 and 1.9x for the 7870. That isnt really all that big a difference and you have to take architectural factors into account (i.e. at which size is GCN/Kepler most efficient, ROP/Bandwidth limitations etc)
    i7 920@4.34 | Rampage II GENE | 6GB OCZ Reaper 1866 | 8800GT (zzz) | Corsair AX750 | Xonar Essence ST w/ 3x LME49720 | HiFiMAN EF2 Amplifier | Shure SRH840 | EK Supreme HF | Thermochill PA 120.3 | MCP355 | XSPC Reservoir | 3/8" ID Tubing

Phenom 9950BE @ 3400/2000 (CPU/NB) | Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H | HD4850 | 4GB Corsair DHX @850 | Corsair TX650W | T.R.U.E Push-Pull

E2160 @3.06 | ASUS P5K-Pro | BFG 8800GT | 4GB G.Skill @ 1040 | 600W Tt PP

A64 3000+ @2.87 | DFI-NF4 | 7800 GTX | Patriot 1GB DDR @610 | 550W FSP

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123