Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD to Launch GPU Codenamed Hawaii in Hawaii Sept 25

Xtreme Addict

AMD to Launch GPU Codenamed Hawaii in Hawaii Sept 25

So, I got the scoop and confirmation.

We just got confirmation that AMD will be announcing their latest GPU codenamed Hawaii. The event will be scheduled during the week of September 23rd, and there will be a live streamed public event on the 25th that will introduce AMD's new flagship GPU to the world.
    Feels weird quoting myself... also, more info here: http://bit.ly/AMDHawaii
    And if you hate Bit.ly - http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...i-sept-25.aspx
    Last edited by Russian; 08-07-2013 at 10:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Banned
    This is going to hurt Nvidia sales big time.

Xtreme Addict
    I think the BF4 bundling will likely be a huge winner for AMD especially if their GPU can perform as well as NV or better than NV.

We'll see shortly.
    I am magical.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by AMDforME View Post
    What AMD is about to release is just an answer to Nvidia's 7xx series GPUs that have been available for two months now.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

we'll see :P

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

The PhotoCHOPer
    If this ends up being a pumped up 7790 like the 780 is to the 680 I'm going to be annoyed.
    Silver Bullet VII

Corsair 750D | Corsair AX 850W | Core i7 2600K | Thermalright Venomous X | Asus Maximus IV Extreme B3
    eVGA GTX680 SLI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB | Intel 530 240GB | 2 x WD RED 3TB in RAID 1 | LG BluRay | 3 x 2413WFP

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Bullet View Post
    If this ends up being a pumped up 7790 like the 780 is to the 680 I'm going to be annoyed.
    What? GTX 780 is a cut-down GTX Titan... significantly greater than a GTX 680. The GTX 770 is a pumped up 680.
    I am magical.

The PhotoCHOPer
    680, 780 and Titan are all from the same chip? They're just adding more 'cores' to make for the lack of a node drop. A single next gen card should beat the previous cards in SLI/CF otherwise, it's just a refresh and not worth buying IMO.
    Silver Bullet VII

Corsair 750D | Corsair AX 850W | Core i7 2600K | Thermalright Venomous X | Asus Maximus IV Extreme B3
    eVGA GTX680 SLI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB | Intel 530 240GB | 2 x WD RED 3TB in RAID 1 | LG BluRay | 3 x 2413WFP

c[_]
    680, 780 and Titan are all from the same chip? They're just adding more 'cores' to make for the lack of a node drop. A single next gen card should beat the previous cards in SLI/CF otherwise, it's just a refresh and not worth buying IMO.
    Some similarities, but not the same... like an apple and an orange are both fruit, but they're not the same fruit.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    No, not really. GK-110 (Titan) is what the original architecture was supposed to be. Instead, what happened was that they released the cut-down GK-104 instead in order to have a part that was good for gaming, weaker for compute, and would clock well against AMD and even more importantly have good yields. Then once, they had improved yields and built up enough stock, they would release GK-110 (Titan) and then they would release the chips that don't quite meet Titan yields into a GTX 780. The GTX 770 is a GK-114, which is architecturally almost identical to the GK-104 but with some optimizations to improve clocks and power consumption. This all happened because of Fermi (GF-1XX) and the fact that the 'big' chip or GTX 480 was released first and it was hot and didn't clock too well. So, after that, they released the GTX 580 (GF-110) which was a cut-down version of Fermi to enable better gaming, less compute, and better yields.

That's the best explanation I can give you.
    I am magical.

Sounds good, looking forward to it. Is it going to be produced on 20nm like rumours said?
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Mentor
    It will be 28nm not 20nm
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

asking for next generations cards to be over 100% faster than last years model is ridiculous.
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    G.Skill Trident X 2666 Cl10
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Xtreme Mentor
    No they are not.

GTX 780 and Titan are from the same chip.

GTX 680, 670, 660 TI are from the same chip.

GTX 770 is a slightly improved GTX 680, but the main difference comes from the 1 Ghz extra Vram clock.

Single high end next gen cards rarely ever beat the previous in SLI / Xfire, they perform around somewhere in the middle of a single, and two previous gen cards. With Titan / GTX 780 prices so high, and the 770 replacing the 680, there are some pretty amazing deals going around on GTX 680s atm, like MSI lightning editions for 100 quid less than a GTX 770. I went and got two of those for the same price as a single GTX 780.

The GTX 780 / Titan aren't worth buying to mainstream gamers because they cost too much. SLI GTX 680s are still going to remain a very strong setup for a long time in comparison for both cost and performance.

It doesn't really matter what new cards AMD bring out at this point, most of the high end enthusiasts have already bought titans / 780s, and for the mainstream, 7900 or GK104 based cards are still brilliant and will continue to drop in price making them even more appealing.

MSI power edition GTX 670s were just selling for 200 quid, while 680 power editions using the lightning PCB were just 260 quid (UK prices). No point in paying the extra for a GTX 770 or 780 IMHO until those are all sold out.

Xtreme Mentor
    I hope so. HD 7XXX changed nothing and nVidia always got ~ 2/3 market share in discrete segment

Xtreme Addict
    Why is that? This release isn't any different from previous years where AMD released a fastest, or in this case, not the fastest card available and even though many people confused wishful thinking with actual sound reasoning. I'll bet they gain a point or two in market share if this is a full line of cards, but that will only last a month or two at most. Not since ATi got bought by AMD have we seen any release "hurt nvidia's sales Bigtime". The fanboys will claim this thing will destroy Titan, turn lead into gold, and put nVidia out of business. See how silly those things sound? I should start compiling pre-launch quotes from some of the usual suspects just so we can see how accurate people are. Or if it was just a wet dream. lol.

I think the BF4 bundling will likely be a huge winner for AMD especially if their GPU can perform as well as NV or better than NV.

We'll see shortly.
    Actually they took it in the shorts financially. Bundling all those games pretty much wiped out their profit margin, and their quarterly financials back what I say up.

Or just read this: http://beta.fool.com/leokornsun/2013...her-dog/28650/

If you have to give away multiple games just to get people to buy the video card, it truly shows what they think about your product. Anyone who bought the card for the games will more than likely only buy another AMD card if it's also packed with free games. So it's a lose-lose.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    What AMD is about to release is just an answer to Nvidia's 7xx series GPUs that have been available for two months now.
    No, get real. This is AMD delivering what their customers want (i.e. Nvidia 7xx performance at a fraction of the price). Two months is nothing. I sold my 7950 last month so I could still get $250+ for it. AMD is making all the right moves in their GPU division and thy are doing it for their customers. You can't trash talk this launch... The fact that AMD pulled this off this fast is nothing short of amazing. Nvidia charging 1k for a single GPU is nothing short of Greedy.
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --MSI R7970 3GB @1150, 1500 cooled with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme--
    --G.SKILL Ripjaws @2400 MHz --
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --128 GB Sandisk UltraPlus is was only $59 new! Seagate 1TB HD--
    --Samsung S23A750D 120Hz monitor--
    --Razer Tarantula-- keyboard, yes it is like 8 years old!
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    Why is that? This release isn't any different from previous years where AMD released a fastest, or in this case, not the fastest card available and even though many people confused wishful thinking with actual sound reasoning. I'll bet they gain a point or two in market share if this is a full line of cards, but that will only last a month or two at most. Not since ATi got bought by AMD have we seen any release "hurt nvidia's sales Bigtime". The fanboys will claim this thing will destroy Titan, turn lead into gold, and put nVidia out of business. See how silly those things sound? I should start compiling pre-launch quotes from some of the usual suspects just so we can see how accurate people are. Or if it was just a wet dream. lol.

Actually they took it in the shorts financially. Bundling all those games pretty much wiped out their profit margin, and their quarterly financials back what I say up.

Or just read this: http://beta.fool.com/leokornsun/2013...her-dog/28650/

If you have to give away multiple games just to get people to buy the video card, it truly shows what they think about your product. Anyone who bought the card for the games will more than likely only buy another AMD card if it's also packed with free games. So it's a lose-lose.
    And No again, Nvidia has a monster marketing department and it has cost AMD a fortune to try and keep up with it. If you really think AMD cards are garbage compared to Nvidia...then you truly are brainwashed by Nvidia.
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --MSI R7970 3GB @1150, 1500 cooled with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme--
    --G.SKILL Ripjaws @2400 MHz --
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --128 GB Sandisk UltraPlus is was only $59 new! Seagate 1TB HD--
    --Samsung S23A750D 120Hz monitor--
    --Razer Tarantula-- keyboard, yes it is like 8 years old!
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post
    GTX 770 is a slightly improved GTX 680, but the main difference comes from the 1 Ghz extra Vram clock.
    It's almost the same chip and card. Even their BIOSes are interchangeable... That's where the biggest difference comes from.
    Quote Originally Posted by DefStar View Post
    You can't trash talk this launch... The fact that AMD pulled this off this fast is nothing short of amazing.
    Four months later than competition is fast? And the only reason Nvidia can charge so much for Titan is because AMD cannot compete.
    Quote Originally Posted by DefStar View Post
    I love how you Nvidia fan-boys start to tremble when AMD is about to release. What is it? is it really a smack to your ego if AMD releases something faster then Nvidia? What is this fan-boy ? You people seriously will stick knives in your ears and cut your eyes out so you can't here or see AMD. It's f-ing pathetic, you are not Nvidia if you don't work for them...get that through your head.
    LOL, extreme fanboy detected. Keep it up. Please find an edit post button first, though...
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    nothing wrong being a loyal fan as long as one acts mature about it...they may not be NVidia fans at all but more like Intel fans or maybe even both.
    Internet will save the World.

Foxconn MARS
    Q9650@3.8Ghz
    Gskill 4Gb-1066 DDR2
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 448/C Classified Ultra
    WD 1T Black
    Theramlright Extreme 120
    CORSAIR 650HX

BenQ FP241W Black 24" 6ms
    Win 7 Ultimate x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    don't worry its common place here for fanboyism.
    Ignoring the reality of both intel and nvidia being propiratory , pro piracy, patent trolls
    whom for years broke the competition with compilers (intel) and patented techs.

With amd in the consoles and been the majority of the gaming market since forever now and game developers noticing how bad these patented tech and code path and compilers were for them. moving opengl opencl and getting away from these fake performance crowns.

AMD showed they support game delevopers, providing their games to more hands then ever before. and helping them run them beutifully on the majority of PC's in the market. which for gaming, is and always has been amd's. with ati onboard, best then and best now apu's. and best price to performance ratio in discrete.

not to mention always being first to release the new technoligizes to the industry. with the lower prices.

with the amd puchasing power from the consoles. and their gddr5 abundance and the drop of gddr5 prices 8GB per console gonna cause. what comes after this is , greater then 8GB gpu's and amd having a $20-$50 edge on price again. due to how much they're purchasing , with min 8GB per ps4. until the end of time (or a titan marking the fall of the giants)
    MM Duality eZ modded horizon (microres bracket). AMD 8120 4545Mhz 303x15 HTT 2727 1.512v load. 2121Mhz 1.08v idle. (48hour prime95 8k-32768 28GB ram) 32GB GeIL Cosra @ RAM 1212Mhz 8-8-8. 4870x2 800/900 load 200/200 idle. Intel Nic. Sabertooth 990fx . 4x64GB Crucial M4 raid 0 . 128GB Samsung 840 pro. 128GB OCZ Vertex 450. 6x250GB Seagate 7200.10 raid 0 (7+ years still running strong) esata raid across two 4 bay sans digital. Coolit Boreas Water Chiller. CoolerMaster V1000. 3x140MM back. 1x120MMx38MM back. 2x120MMx38MM Front. 6x120MM front. 2x120MM side. silverstone fan filters. 2x120MMx38MM over ram/PWM/VRM , games steam desura origin. 2x2TB WD passport USB 3.0 ($39 hot deal score) 55inch samsung 1080p tv @ 3 feet. $30 month equal payments no int (post xmas deal 2013)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg83 View Post
    don't worry its common place here for fanboyism.
    Ignoring the reality of both intel and nvidia being propiratory , pro piracy, patent trolls
    whom for years broke the competition with compilers (intel) and patented techs.

With amd in the consoles and been the majority of the gaming market since forever now and game developers noticing how bad these patented tech and code path and compilers were for them. moving opengl opencl and getting away from these fake performance crowns.

AMD showed they support game delevopers, providing their games to more hands then ever before. and helping them run them beutifully on the majority of PC's in the market. which for gaming, is and always has been amd's. with ati onboard, best then and best now apu's. and best price to performance ratio in discrete.

not to mention always being first to release the new technoligizes to the industry. with the lower prices.

with the amd puchasing power from the consoles. and their gddr5 abundance and the drop of gddr5 prices 8GB per console gonna cause. what comes after this is , greater then 8GB gpu's and amd having a $20-$50 edge on price again. due to how much they're purchasing , with min 8GB per ps4. until the end of time (or a titan marking the fall of the giants)
    Please just go away.
    You are consistently posting nonsense and making ridiculous claims based on who knows what.

Btw, does propiratory = pro-piracy?
    Gigabyte z68 UD3
    2600k @ stock
    8Gb G Skill
    2x eVGA GTX 680 @ stock
    Intel 320 80Gb
    Intel 320 120Gb x2
    Intel 320 160Gb x2

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yes it does. pro piracy, patent trolling, violating patent laws. using patents after costs associated with IDEA alone creation have been recovery. piracy, pro piracy using patented technologies as weapons. ignoring the patent law. in place of how its commonly been used.

you can go away . you're obviously ignoring the reality. intel did nothing new til amd won then intel had to release new. intel still releases nothing of benefit to society until amd is closing in. idling by with ideas of 4-6 years ago , before releasing costing us 4-6 years in technological developments.

same with nvidia, we see what they can do. they won't do it and only release when loosing. just like intel and release to a 1% of the entire pc gaming market.

Using patented tech , code paths. they bought into games and paid for their way to be playing the game. to appear to be winning in 1 point with physX uptil recently. when the market said no more.

With ps4. the winner of next gen console. all games must be coded first , with the most powerful (texture ram limit) the exists, the ps4. 8GB of gddr5 shared directly with HSA and the cpu. Litterally the fastest system on the market upon release. In opengl and cl.

Bringing us out of directx and patent death. and highest bidder, for whom gets the code paths optimized for their archs.

AMD is now merged with 100's of other companies in a patent GPL basically. This is the end of the line for nvidia and intel behaving as they have been or they collapse. Even microsoft has to repair opengl they broken after windows xp for directx. else their PC gaming market , moves to ps4 instead. requiring a $1000 gpu for graphics suprassed by ps4 games.

Ati was first to go pci-e. first to bring about each new generation of gddr. first pci-e 2 , 3. 1.1. directx versions. etc. they've always been the leader in technologies used. and amd was the same. intel appears to have gone past this. but it is only in nature of their own patented things. with 1 exception pci-e on chip. which has no legitamate reason as all textures on their way to the gpu are limited by the memory controller first. so amd has ignored this until it has a purpose.

intel and amd are supposed to be in a patent trade agreement with the x86 contract. but intel just hides patents, as un released, through developed. to claim only after 6 years in the market. not since invented. can amd then access it. while taking amd64 right away to compete themselves.
    Last edited by Greg83; 08-08-2013 at 03:44 AM.
    MM Duality eZ modded horizon (microres bracket). AMD 8120 4545Mhz 303x15 HTT 2727 1.512v load. 2121Mhz 1.08v idle. (48hour prime95 8k-32768 28GB ram) 32GB GeIL Cosra @ RAM 1212Mhz 8-8-8. 4870x2 800/900 load 200/200 idle. Intel Nic. Sabertooth 990fx . 4x64GB Crucial M4 raid 0 . 128GB Samsung 840 pro. 128GB OCZ Vertex 450. 6x250GB Seagate 7200.10 raid 0 (7+ years still running strong) esata raid across two 4 bay sans digital. Coolit Boreas Water Chiller. CoolerMaster V1000. 3x140MM back. 1x120MMx38MM back. 2x120MMx38MM Front. 6x120MM front. 2x120MM side. silverstone fan filters. 2x120MMx38MM over ram/PWM/VRM , games steam desura origin. 2x2TB WD passport USB 3.0 ($39 hot deal score) 55inch samsung 1080p tv @ 3 feet. $30 month equal payments no int (post xmas deal 2013)

Visitor
    Isn't the PS4 about as fast as a 5 year old PC?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    8-core x86 CPU (built by AMD)
    PC GPU, delivering almost 2 TFLOPS of performance.
    Unified 8GB of GDDR5 memory for use by both the CPU and GPU with 176GB/s of memory bandwidth
    Large local hard drive
    Being a closed arch, and using opengl from BSD. we're looking at 7990 performance at minimum observed in quality. room for greater textures sizes, so more AA can be applied for the 1080p resolutions of the games. Being such low res. 8GB will always do the AA and fit textures in the ram without page faults occuring in scenes. The gpu's for PC's will obviously catch up after this next generation(observed performance, due to windows vs bsd , opengl, closed arch) but only have a purpose with beyond 1080p resolution and will need more then 8GB vram just to compete in that area too.
    Transferring from gpu to cpu portition all instant, not pci-e bus or memory transfer, its a shared memory , that both gpu and cpu portions can manipulate without moving it across bus'.
    Being a close arch. and these technological improvements. Will likely have greater graphics observed then a pc of similar price range for 3+ years. especially being an openGL BSD system. if not longer. given how much loss directX caused to visual images quality , in favor of all these other things it offered.
    Last edited by Greg83; 08-08-2013 at 04:35 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast