Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast

Thread: Amd Volcanic Islands details

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Kepler was launched in March 2012. You're telling me VA is meant to compete against an architecture that's already a year and a half old? If that's the case, AMD will be in serious trouble.

At this point, after skipping over their planned GCN refresh, they need to prepare for what's coming rather than what's already been available for a long time.

Think of it this way. If AMD launches a 28nm VA in October, they will likely have a 6-9 month buffer zone before NVIDIA starts talking Maxwell in earnest. In order to compete with Maxwell, they'd need a chip that's (on paper at least) TWICE as powerful as TITAN if NVIDIA's latest slides are any indication of potential performance. Since refreshes typically garner at most 20% better performance than their predecessors (see previous reviews), AMD would have to come out of the gate extremely strong or at least keep something waiting in the wings to respond to Maxwell once VA gets its refresh.

I really have to wonder which is better for AMD though; wait a little while for 20nm (6 months) and compete against Maxwell on slightly more level footing or launch something now that still uses the 28nm node and hope NVIDIA doesn't pull in their launch timeframe due to strong TSMC yields.

The real question is whether VA is a GCN refresh or a brand new architecture. I'm hoping for "refresh" so they can quickly transition to a new 20nm architecture in time to compete against Kepler.
    I said "GK110", not Kepler. The thing this generation is that Nvidia split their lines up and used their big GPU as a "refresh". But it's still Kepler.
    How do you even know how powerful Maxwell will be? I don't believe marketing slides. Besides, AMD certainly will improve their architecture further for the step to 20 nm.

My guess (performance):
    Hawaii@28 nm = GK110@28 nm
    Hawaii successor@20 nm = first Maxwell chip@20 nm

For the lower end GPUs AMD will offer better perf/W and perf/mm2. They already do.
    Volcanic Islands is an evolution of GCN. Not completely new, but heavily improved. At least that's my guess

Xtreme Addict
    Surprised that Sky isn't still trying to argue with me that AMD isn't releasing anything this year....

Edit- Oh, but he is trying to tell people to wait for Maxwell... I see a reoccurring theme here.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddMuppet View Post
    If it comes within 5% of Titan and costs US$600, put me down for 2. Now that Crossfire drivers have been improved substantially with stuttering, it's a viable option. And the best part is the drivers will only get better.
    I like how you think. Now we need some new games to push these babies. I wish we could do 120 Hz at 2560x1440...damn it.
    Last edited by DefStar; 08-13-2013 at 05:58 PM.
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --MSI R7970 3GB @1150, 1500 cooled with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme--
    --G.SKILL Ripjaws @2400 MHz --
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --128 GB Sandisk UltraPlus is was only $59 new! Seagate 1TB HD--
    --Samsung S23A750D 120Hz monitor--
    --Razer Tarantula-- keyboard, yes it is like 8 years old!
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddMuppet View Post
    If it comes within 5% of Titan and costs US$600, put me down for 2. Now that Crossfire drivers have been improved substantially with stuttering, it's a viable option. And the best part is the drivers will only get better.
    You are pretty much describing GTX 780 here (granted it's $50 more expensive).
    I am hoping for prices of both sides to become more competitive when VI launches... And not just $50 lower...
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    Surprised that Sky isn't still trying to argue with me that AMD isn't releasing anything this year....

Edit- Oh, but he is trying to tell people to wait for Maxwell... I see a reoccurring theme here.
    I think Sky is one of the more neutral reviewers, but if he has a fault it's that he portrays himself as an authority figure even when he knows very little. He likes to drop little 'hints' because he's a reviewer, but half the time it's just empty conjecture.

Kepler was launched in March 2012. You're telling me VA is meant to compete against an architecture that's already a year and a half old? If that's the case, AMD will be in serious trouble.
    GK104 is a year and half old. GK110/Titan will be 8 months old by late Oct and more importantly GTX 780 will be just 5 months old. We all know once GTX 780 released, Titan became less attractive. For all intents Nvidia could launch only GTX 780 with the kind of high volumes that a desktop part needs. remember these are not low volume Quadro parts. AMD seems to be aiming for a mid October launch for Hawaii. I expect Nvidia's yields would be better by October and they could easily launch a 2688 sp GTX 785 or even better a 2880 sp full enabled Geforce chip depending on how good Hawaii is.

At this point, after skipping over their planned GCN refresh, they need to prepare for what's coming rather than what's already been available for a long time. Think of it this way. If AMD launches a 28nm VA in October, they will likely have a 6-9 month buffer zone before NVIDIA starts talking Maxwell in earnest. In order to compete with Maxwell, they'd need a chip that's (on paper at least) TWICE as powerful as TITAN if NVIDIA's latest slides are any indication of potential performance. Since refreshes typically garner at most 20% better performance than their predecessors (see previous reviews), AMD would have to come out of the gate extremely strong or at least keep something waiting in the wings to respond to Maxwell once VA gets its refresh.
    I really have to wonder which is better for AMD though; wait a little while for 20nm (6 months) and compete against Maxwell on slightly more level footing or launch something now that still uses the 28nm node and hope NVIDIA doesn't pull in their launch timeframe due to strong TSMC yields. The real question is whether VA is a GCN refresh or a brand new architecture. I'm hoping for "refresh" so they can quickly transition to a new 20nm architecture in time to compete against Kepler.
    TSMC 20nm volume production is Q2 2014 with actual volume of 20nm production being just 2% of total wafer volume. read TSMC Q1 2013 earnings call. see page 17 and 18

http://www.tsmc.com/uploadfile/ir/qu...Transcript.pdf

at 20nm planar the foundries are not able to provide traditional improvements in transistor perf or power gains. The transistor perf improvement from 20nm vs 28nm is 30% while from 28nm vs 40nm is 45%. 28nm also had better power gains vs 40nm as it was the first node with high k metal gates. Thats the reason that foundries are going FINFET a year later at the same 20nm node. Yields are also very difficult at the leading edge.

http://www.tsmc.com/english/dedicate...ology/20nm.htm

"TSMC's 20nm process technology can provide 30 percent higher speed, 1.9 times the density, or 25 percent less power than its 28nm technology."

http://www.tsmc.com/english/dedicate...ology/28nm.htm

"The 28HP process supports a 45 percent speed improvement over the 40G process at the same leakage/gate. "

so AMD have taken the prudent step to go with Hawaii on 28nm in Oct 2013. They might run a pipe cleaner entry level or mid range product on 20nm first releasing it by late Q2 2014 and then come out with their 20nm big chip by Sep 2014 when yields are better and 20 nm volume is significant. remember Nvidia launched GTX 680 around 2.5 months after HD 7970 and they did very well. Also AMD has clearly stated that GCN is the foundation for their GPU product lines/families for a long time to come. the R600 architecture lasted 4.5 years starting from HD 2900 XT in mid 2007 to HD 6970 till end 2011. improvements were made all along adding DX11 support etc and going from VLIW 5 to VLIW4 but they were based on the foundations of R600. GCN will be optimized and improved but will last atleast till 2016 - 2017. GCN has proved its efficiency as Pitcairn (212 sq mm) is faster than GK106(221 sq mm). Bonaire is also very efficient. Hawaii will reinstate that at the high end.

Also I believe the days of 500 - 550 sq mm on a immature leading edge process on launch are gone. Nvidia learnt that with Fermi and Kepler proved that doing massive die (500+ sq mm) on a new process is not feasible. so doubling Titan performance will not happen with GM104. given 20nm's less than traditional node gains I think even beating a fully enabled GK110 by 25% would be a massive achievement. It would mean that Maxwell is a much more efficient architecture than Kepler. GM110 on TSMC 16 FINFET in H2 2015 can double GK110 performance. so AMD's goal with their first 20nm chip should be to compete favourably with GM104. I think that should be possible. Also if AMD moves aggressively to GDDR6 while Nvidia doesn't with their first 20nm flagship GPUs then we could have a situation where AMD leapfrogs Nvidia.

AMD needs Hawaii to match Titan or slightly exceed it at around USD 600. that should be enough to force Nvidia to cut prices on GTX 780 and launch newer SKUs like GTX 785.
    Last edited by raghu78; 08-13-2013 at 08:41 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    You are pretty much describing GTX 780 here (granted it's $50 more expensive).
    I am hoping for prices of both sides to become more competitive when VI launches... And not just $50 lower...
    Titan is incredibly expensive down here. It's NZ $1,800 each. A GTX780 is NZ $1,149 and a 7970GHZ is NZ $750.

Xtreme Member
    Hawaii die has +/- 440 mm, with 40CU blocks, 384-bit mem, 6GB mems and IT IS made on 28nm node.

Quote Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post
    GK104 is a year and half old. GK110/Titan will be 8 months old by late Oct ...
    Titan is not 'new' silicon, only new to the desktop gaming environment, and has likely been shipping since the Spring of 2012. It became publicly available in the Fall of 2012 with the release of the Tesla K20.

Prior to that, around 20,000 GPUs were 'privately' shipped to the Oak Ridge National Laboratory?s Titan supercomputer where they were paired with approximately 20,000 16-core Opteron CPUs.
    Last edited by AbortRetryFail?; 08-14-2013 at 04:10 AM.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by PedantOne View Post
    Hawaii die has +/- 440 mm, with 40CU blocks, 384-bit mem, 6GB mems and IT IS made on 28nm node.

Hawaii Pro you mean?

Xtreme Addict
    ... In order to compete with Maxwell, they'd need a chip that's (on paper at least) TWICE as powerful as TITAN if NVIDIA's latest slides are any indication of potential performance...
    Hummm I tend not to believe marketing slides of a not-yet-existing product...
    Last edited by Dimitriman; 08-14-2013 at 06:09 AM.
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

Hawaii Pro you mean?
    Pro? What do you mean "Pro"?

Xtreme Cruncher
    He means "pro" as with previous ATi cores . Pro marking designated a "cut down" version from full feature chip(fused of SP/shaders/tmus).

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitriman View Post
    Hummm I tend not to believe marketing slides of a not-yet-existing product...
    Nvidia moved away from woodscrews, they use only glue now.
    4670k 4.6ghz 1.22v watercooled CPU/GPU - Asus Z87-A - 290 1155mhz/1250mhz - Kingston Hyper Blu 8gb -crucial 128gb ssd - EyeFunity 5040x1050 120hz - CM atcs840 - Corsair 750w -sennheiser hd600 headphones - Asus essence stx - G400 and steelseries 6v2 -windows 8 Pro 64bit Best OS used - - 9500p 3dmark11 (one of the 26% that isnt confused on xtreme forums)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DefStar View Post
    I like how you think. Now we need some new games to push these babies. I wish we could do 120 Hz at 2560x1440...damn it.
    Qnix or x-star dp2710. Go look into those . I run 110hz 2560x1440 myself.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    He means "pro" as with previous ATi cores . Pro marking designated a "cut down" version from full feature chip(fused of SP/shaders/tmus).
    ahh, see. OK, it can be specs of "Pro" version maybe, successor of HD 7950.Because i thought full chip is only for Professional graphics. Full hp has 44 CUs, but who knows if will be in gaming SKU?

Quote Originally Posted by AbortRetryFail? View Post
    Titan is not 'new' silicon, only new to the desktop gaming environment, and has likely been shipping since the Spring of 2012. It became publicly available in the Fall of 2012 with the release of the Tesla K20.

Prior to that, around 20,000 GPUs were 'privately' shipped to the Oak Ridge National Laboratory?s Titan supercomputer where they were paired with approximately 20,000 16-core Opteron CPUs.
    I spoke of Titan and the PC gaming market. gk110 started selling in Q4 2012 for Tesla customers. but that does not mean anything to PC gamers. Hawaii aka HD 9970 will be available to PC gamers 5 months from GTX 780 launch, which was the only meaningfully priced GK110 based gaming card.

Sort of meaningful priced.....
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    G.Skill Trident X 2666 Cl10
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Quote Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post
    GK104 is a year and half old. GK110/Titan will be 8 months old by late Oct and more importantly GTX 780 will be just 5 months old. We all know once GTX 780 released, Titan became less attractive. For all intents Nvidia could launch only GTX 780 with the kind of high volumes that a desktop part needs. remember these are not low volume Quadro parts. AMD seems to be aiming for a mid October launch for Hawaii. I expect Nvidia's yields would be better by October and they could easily launch a 2688 sp GTX 785 or even better a 2880 sp full enabled Geforce chip depending on how good Hawaii is.

TSMC 20nm volume production is Q2 2014 with actual volume of 20nm production being just 2% of total wafer volume. read TSMC Q1 2013 earnings call. see page 17 and 18

http://www.tsmc.com/uploadfile/ir/qu...Transcript.pdf

at 20nm planar the foundries are not able to provide traditional improvements in transistor perf or power gains. The transistor perf improvement from 20nm vs 28nm is 30% while from 28nm vs 40nm is 45%. 28nm also had better power gains vs 40nm as it was the first node with high k metal gates. Thats the reason that foundries are going FINFET a year later at the same 20nm node. Yields are also very difficult at the leading edge.

http://www.tsmc.com/english/dedicate...ology/20nm.htm

"TSMC's 20nm process technology can provide 30 percent higher speed, 1.9 times the density, or 25 percent less power than its 28nm technology."

http://www.tsmc.com/english/dedicate...ology/28nm.htm

"The 28HP process supports a 45 percent speed improvement over the 40G process at the same leakage/gate. "

so AMD have taken the prudent step to go with Hawaii on 28nm in Oct 2013. They might run a pipe cleaner entry level or mid range product on 20nm first releasing it by late Q2 2014 and then come out with their 20nm big chip by Sep 2014 when yields are better and 20 nm volume is significant. remember Nvidia launched GTX 680 around 2.5 months after HD 7970 and they did very well. Also AMD has clearly stated that GCN is the foundation for their GPU product lines/families for a long time to come. the R600 architecture lasted 4.5 years starting from HD 2900 XT in mid 2007 to HD 6970 till end 2011. improvements were made all along adding DX11 support etc and going from VLIW 5 to VLIW4 but they were based on the foundations of R600. GCN will be optimized and improved but will last atleast till 2016 - 2017. GCN has proved its efficiency as Pitcairn (212 sq mm) is faster than GK106(221 sq mm). Bonaire is also very efficient. Hawaii will reinstate that at the high end.

Also I believe the days of 500 - 550 sq mm on a immature leading edge process on launch are gone. Nvidia learnt that with Fermi and Kepler proved that doing massive die (500+ sq mm) on a new process is not feasible. so doubling Titan performance will not happen with GM104. given 20nm's less than traditional node gains I think even beating a fully enabled GK110 by 25% would be a massive achievement. It would mean that Maxwell is a much more efficient architecture than Kepler. GM110 on TSMC 16 FINFET in H2 2015 can double GK110 performance. so AMD's goal with their first 20nm chip should be to compete favourably with GM104. I think that should be possible. Also if AMD moves aggressively to GDDR6 while Nvidia doesn't with their first 20nm flagship GPUs then we could have a situation where AMD leapfrogs Nvidia.

AMD needs Hawaii to match Titan or slightly exceed it at around USD 600. that should be enough to force Nvidia to cut prices on GTX 780 and launch newer SKUs like GTX 785.
    Maxwell is QUITE a bit different architecturally from kepler. The changes to the memory subsystem alone stand to bring on big improvements here, and the performance per watt improvement is utterly ridiculous. 2x Titan isn't just possible, it's pretty damn likely. This is a chip designed for efficiency from the ground up.

If AMD release a 28nm part, I'd assume it's probably with the intention of shrinking it to 20nm as soon as it is feasible. I just can't see them being crazy enough to think they're going to go up against maxwell with anything less.
    Last edited by DilTech; 08-14-2013 at 10:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AbortRetryFail? View Post

It did not ship any meaningful amount of GK110s to Oak Ridge until late Q3 '12.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

AMD hints about a new never settle bundle

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DilTech View Post
    Maxwell is QUITE a bit different architecturally from kepler. The changes to the memory subsystem alone stand to bring on big improvements here, and the performance per watt improvement is utterly ridiculous. 2x Titan isn't just possible, it's pretty damn likely. This is a chip designed for efficiency from the ground up.

If AMD release a 28nm part, I'd assume it's probably with the intention of shrinking it to 20nm as soon as it is feasible. I just can't see them being crazy enough to think they're going to go up against maxwell with anything less.
    Interesting info about Maxwell. Is that just speculation or do you have a (confidential) source? What an IHV promises and what is delivered in the end is two pairs of shoes usually.

2x Titan with what chip? Small Maxwell (~300mm2) or big Maxwell (500mm2)? The process used is also important. 500mm2 @20nm should make 2x Titan possible. 500mm2 @28nm or 300mm2 @20nm...not so much. Imo of course.
    Last edited by boxleitnerb; 08-14-2013 at 12:42 PM.

Xtreme Member
    First maxwell will be released on 28 nm .... and this year

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That wouldn't surprise me since I know current wafer prices for 20 nm. 20 nm isn't happening for a long long time...and there are rumors that Maxwell will be earlier than expected.

Xtreme Member
    TSMC will not be able to produce GPU @20nm until the last quarter 2014 (Supply problem because of Apple SoCs). AMD and nVidia have two choices:
    - waiting;
    - to turn an another foundry.

Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast