Thread: Amd Volcanic Islands details

Threaded View

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg83 View Post
    supply and demand, and costs associated with initial line switch and programming of a short run.
    plus bf4 limited edition package etc.

price will be $650 w/o bf4. for near 7990 w/o crossfire perf.

in the new year we'll see nvidia slower 780GTX price to ~500's and the 290X will be in the ~450 shortly after. when large production runs of the line can occur.
    Yeah, $650 I can do if EK prices the water block at ~$110 like the 7970's. It won't be anywhere near 7990 ...you know... It will be like Titan up against 7990. There is a-lot of power to be harnessed in crossfire...but your only going to see it in AAA titles. Ah, I've tried sli and Crossfire twice and immediately sent them back within the first week (goddamn mechanical keyboards are awesome...sorry I just got it). I'm done waiting. I sold my 7950 over three months ago hoping the R9 woulld be here by the end of September (I got $289 for a used Powercolor 7950)...3 months is a long.LONG. LONG time to be using intel's HD 4000. I want to push BF4 at a consistent 120 fps so I can use Samsusngs frame sequential mode to eliminate motion blur (same thing as LightBoost 2D) with Ultra High settings 1080p of course since its a 3D monitor feature. I know the R9 will come close but it the end it just won't "consistently" push 120fps. On the other hand, a 7990 will, and if it falls short I can throw another 7970 in the box filling all of the Gene V's PCIE 3.0 slots and certainly average above 120fps on any server...roughly costing $1300 with water blocks. But, tri-fire scaling I think falls flat like a logarithm graph.... But two R9s (~$1500 with water blocks) would scale well like crossfire does and I bet an R9 Crossfire system would end up performing as good as if not better than a tri-fire 7970 setup. Or, I can just keep the R9s on air and $1300 for the set. I don't want to spend $1300 though, and certainly if i'm not taking advantage of my water loop for cooling. So many decisions...I wish they made crossfire combos where the slave card is just a bare bones GPU with no video outputs....and/or cards with a water block instead of air or just a bare card with no cooling so I could configure the cards the way I want without paying for things I don't need or will never use. Just like LED back-lit keyboards should have multi-color led so you can choose your own color. Even getting the keyboard exactly as you want is impossible....We need fiber-optic interconnects already...out with the copper and in with the light, then we will see some really fast single gpu cards. Well, I put $700 in my pay pal account and I put two 7970s in my shopping cart, but I didn't push the check-out button. I will wait and see what this R9 can do and how it scales in crossfire.
    Last edited by DefStar; 10-04-2013 at 09:41 PM.
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --MSI R7970 3GB @1150, 1500 cooled with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme--
    --G.SKILL Ripjaws @2400 MHz --
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --128 GB Sandisk UltraPlus is was only $59 new! Seagate 1TB HD--
    --Samsung S23A750D 120Hz monitor--
    --Razer Tarantula-- keyboard, yes it is like 8 years old!
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?