Thread: usb3 on p7p55d-e (not pro)

Xtreme Member

usb3 on p7p55d-e (not pro)

ok so I have activated usb3 in my bios and installed the nec drivers of asus site (2010 dated).

I see installed in device manager and everest.

I connected my s3 phone (via dock) and it shows usb2.

After reading I need a usb3 cable (now ordered) I understand it probably fell back to a usb2 mode, however.....

When I check lavalys everest it shows the phone connected to the usb2 hub not usb3 hub.

Its in the lowest usb ports (one of 2 next to lan port) which according to manual is usb 3 and I see usb3 labeled on the faceplate but the usb ports funny enough are not blue like they should be (none of the ports are blue).

Is it normal when using incompatible cable/device it will show as on the usb2 hub? or does this indicate something else is wrong?

I am hoping when the cable arrives tommorow the dock can pass through the usb3 signal as I like using the dock for the phone.

I have not enabled the power up function so the usb3 is running at half speed 2.5ghz but thats still way faster than usb2 so I am fine with it, the main thing is I want it to be able to charge my phone at 900ma instead of usb2 500ma and get the 200mB or so if I install a hdd usb enclosure to it.

usb3 ports should be the blue ones...

for the S3 to get it right on windows you need KIES software from Samsung

cheers !
    Sergio
    Intel Core i9-7980XE@ 4.8GHz 18C/18TH (Direct Die Contact)
    ASRock X299 OC Formula
    ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D80 (4x8GB) DDR4-3800C17 B-Die
    1x Intel Optane SSD 905P 480GB
    4x HP EX950 NVMe 2TB on ASRock ULTRA M.2 CARD
    EVGA RTX 2080TI KINGPIN 2190/8000 Stock Cooling AIO 240
    SilverStone ST1500W-TI TITANIUM
    Alphacool Custom Water Cooling

Xtreme Member
    ok I have done more tests and I think I found a major issue not discovered by anyone (since most have pro or higher boards which are laid out different). Plus this is now a very old board noone cares about.

I now believe the usb3 ports on the back are hard wired to the usb2 controller not usb3.

I examined a bit more and can see the ports are blue just the area around isnt.

but they are connected to the usb2 controller not usb3.

In the bios I disabled the usb2 controller (accidently killing my keyboard in the process) and after connecting a ps2 keyboard to get back in windows I then see no usb devices work at all since the usb3 ports are conencted to the usb2 controller.

Looks like a hardware manufacturing fault to me, the ports are connected to the wrong controller.

I guess I will have to do some photos as you guys wont believe me, I also even now have the usb3 controller in full speed with the power up function but no difference.

So the back of my board should have 6 usb2 ports and 2 blue usb3 ports, instead all 8 (including the 2 hard to see blue ports) are on the usb2 controller.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P7P55DE/#gallery

so even if I accidently tried the wrong ports, checking all 8 like I did would yield a usb3 port, all 8 are on the usb2 controller, it doesnt even show my device on the usb3 controller in usb2 mode it simply is always on the usb2 controller.

--edit--

since I had to hit the reset button after disabling my keyboard I cant do more reboots now until my raid1 resynched which I think is going to take a day or so
    Last edited by Chrysalis; 08-06-2013 at 03:35 AM.

Xtreme Member
    some pics

and 2nd pic showing cables, the 2 usb ports that next to lan port are the blue ones which has the orange and grey cable as the usb printer, I have of course tested this with other usb devices also such as my phone.

the cable in the usb3 on that pic is my mp460 printer which can see from screenshots is under the usb2 host.

if the first pic isnt clear access it directly http://www.chrysalisnet.org/pc/usbdevmgr.png
    Last edited by Chrysalis; 08-07-2013 at 03:56 AM.

Xtreme Member
    see here my post at end

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...-Deluxe-Review

I went quite drastic to try and downgrade my bios as asus have locked out downgrades, but was forced to keep 1601. The bios I am using was modded by myself with an updated intel rst rom, so I have also tried plain 1601 but that is the same. I wanted to try and get back to 1002.

So I may end up now buying a pci-e card just to get usb3 ports when I shouldnt have to as asus sold me a product with usb3 connectivity.

Xtreme Member
    loyal to asus I am no more.

After over a week I got a reply stating my board must have a faulty usb controller.

The controller of course doesnt appear faulty to me but rather the connection to the controller from the usb3 ports.

They said out of warranty so cant help more tough luck bye. A big LOL I think.

So I guess gigabyte for me in future.

My immediate issue is resolved as I have plugged in a renasus pci-e card which of course works, I cant flash the firmware on it tho until station drivers is back online but is working ok at the moment.

Internet reviewers I believe never ever tested the usb3 on this board. It wouldnt surprise me if this fault is across the entire boards produced. Or a bios fault which asus didnt want to investigate.