Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The last two weeks of my life has been shall we say ..interesting..

Xtreme Legend
    Such small things make a big difference... Salt

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    reading thru, using this voice

glad to hear your all good now

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    I am here, feeling better day by day and ready to do another build..Now I can't pick up anything heavy yet but damn it I can build a PC!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

HWiNFO Author
    Glad to hear that you're feeling better. I'll keep watching for more morning stories with your doc

Xtreme Cruncher
    Sorry I missed all this!! I am happy to here you are doing better Dave. When I get some free time I will give you a call and probably do def...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Wow, Dave, I am glad you are feeling better! I am very sorry to hear about your health issues, get better ya old goat! The world is a much better place with you and people like you in it 👍
    Samsung 42" LCD/Antec 1200 Case/Corsair 1000W PS/ Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 / Intel I7 990X 3.47 @ 4.5 / 3 x RX360 rad /Apogee Xt /2 x 128gb Patriot Torqx M28's @ Raid 0/ WD 600Gb VelociRaptor / Kingston Hyper X 12Gb (6x2) DDR3 2000/ XFX DD HD 7970

Xtreme Member
    Glad you are doing better. I don't have diabetes, but I know the feeling of following a diet. I don't have any alternatives for bread or pasta, but I can say, it is all about portion size. I limit my sodium, phosphorus and potassium but I still eat foods that are high in those, just in small amounts. I can't eat a huge portion of cheese (sodium/phosphorus), but I can have a piece or 2.

The one thing I craved was pizza after I got out of the hospital. I had 1 slice to satisfy my craving.
    Main Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.5ghz, Thermalright HR-02 Macho, Gigabyte Z68MA-DH2-B3, 4x4GB Gskill DDR3-1600, Visiontek Radeon 7850, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB, OCZ Agility 60GB, Silverstone TJ08B-E, Seasonic X750, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Fiance's Rig: Apple iMac 21.5" 2011, i5 2.5ghz, 4GB DDR3-1333, Radeon 6750m, 500GB

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    But don't swap margarine in place of butter. Chemicalized crap that is.

I'd add beef to the mix because hey, good beef is good And don't forget the bacon and pork chops! Or the ribs.. Mmmmm... I'm hungry
    Marge or butter? Either way, go real light on the oils/fats, no matter what type. Fish oils are supposedly OK, and I eat lots of fish, but I'm suspicious about the benefits of fish oil. Could be vested interests promoting it. Remember the Florida grapefruit growers promoting the supposed health benefits of their product? Turned out to be BS, maybe harmful BS.

And go easy on the beef too. Again, saturated fat, even in lean beef muscle.

I suggest you * hop * into healthy eating instead:

Yumm - red meat that's lean & heathy, and there's plenty of it hopping around this continent.
    The packager of the above exports, but I don't know whether you can buy it near you. Check their website.

Add lentils to your list, too. AKA dahl, they're the staple low-GI carb/protein food of the Indian subcontinent, and they don't seem to be killing people off. No flavour of their own, so you have to add stuff to flavour them - eg curry-spices + onions + garlic, or add them to other flavoursome foods, including soups. I'm sure you have a search engine that can find you some recipes.

Sounds like you're doing well, MM. A friend recently had a similar episode - stents but no diabetes mentioned. He's called off his participation in a motorcycle trip planned for a few weeks hence, as he says he's likely to still be too lethargic & weak after the medical procedure. So you're doing well, mate.

Am also still re. your cardiologist's computer ... Show us the video !!
    (even if you have to get the guy to play it on his monitor while you record it with your camera/phone/any other video recording device you can lay your hands on)
    And get him crunching for Team XS-WCG.
    Last edited by BlindFreddie; 08-05-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    I looked into the fish oil thing. It's useful, but not something you should go nuts with. It's quite helpful for reducing inflammation and arthritis pain because it suppresses the immune system. A little doesn't harm you, but TONS of it can be detrimental. Of course you'd need to balance that with what you're trying to achieve. If you have really bad osteo-arthritis then getting a few more colds here and there isn't such a big price to pay for being able to move like a human being instead of Frankenstein's Monster. It's also useful for lowering blood cholesterol levels. The worst downside (for men) is the elevated risk of prostate cancer from regular use, though the study linking the two appears to be flawed and shouldn't be taken as gospel.
    Prostate cancer expert Anthony Victor D’Amico, MD, PhD, points out that the authors failed to adjust their calculations for the main risk factors associated with prostate cancer. Key factors such as ethnicity, age, body mass index (BMI) and prostate specific antigen (PSA) level were not accounted for, despite being listed in the table of baseline patient characteristics and SELECT trial cancer outcomes
    source

If your joins ache and you have to think about heart health I'd still take good quality fish oil and regularly eat fish ... just preferably not the deep fried kind.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Hey Dave, sorry I didn't see this earlier. I've had crazy stuff going on in my life as well.

I'm glad to see you're doing better. It's just amazing how you can go from feeling great to down in the dumps. Once you cross that threshold, it's a whole new world.

I'll be the first to say that if you want food options, look into either a nutritionist who specializes in people with diabetes (not sure how hard that is to find) or books on the topic. Playing with nutrition is difficult if you're compromised in any way. I used to take fish oil, like D_A talked about & I would get heart arrhythmia from it every time. It threw off my Omega 3 / Omega 6 balance.

I will say if you can afford it (this goes for everyone here), buy & eat organic (grow your own veggies if possible). It can be a pain at first, but the milk tastes better, last longer. Meat has more flavor, is not as fatty & has a better texture. Fresh veggies are wonders compared to this trucked in crap. Whatever you're supposed to eat, having an organic source will really boost your energy. The quality of mass produced food in America is crap & it'll make you crap!

I can try to look into something on the topic (no promises, but I'll certainly try) if you like. Changing your diet can be hell, but having support will get you through it.

Hang in there buddy. You'll get through all of this. You're doing a great job kicking @$$ so far!
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme XIP
    Dave I did not know this happen to you , I was so busy this last few weeks with the kids going back to school I did not even check out this tread :/. Thanks the Lord you are ok now and having a speedy recovery , is not your time yet Bro you still young , Who's gonna call me and speak for 3~4 hours in the phone ? See ... you canot go yet hehehehe ... God Bless You Dave call me anytime you want my good friend , I don't care if for 1 minute or 6 hours ** aheeeemm ** , Love you bro stay healty.

Kind Regards and hugs; Angelo

Dave friend im glad you are on the road again and recovering im so sorry i didnt see this thread i was bussy with my page and things

A big hug from URUGUAY !!!
    Sergio
    Intel Core i9-7980XE@ 4.8GHz 18C/18TH (Direct Die Contact)
    ASRock X299 OC Formula
    ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D80 (4x8GB) DDR4-3800C17 B-Die
    1x Intel Optane SSD 905P 480GB
    4x HP EX950 NVMe 2TB on ASRock ULTRA M.2 CARD
    EVGA RTX 2080TI KINGPIN 2190/8000 Stock Cooling AIO 240
    SilverStone ST1500W-TI TITANIUM
    Alphacool Custom Water Cooling

Xtreme Member
    Hi again Dave and friends concerned about his and their heart/diabetic health. Hope you're continuing to recover from your ordeals and are getting your lifestyle and diet on track to get your health under control.

You might be interested in a radio interview broadcast here this week detailing the experience of a 41-y.o. guy who fairly recently developed type 1 insulin-dependent diabetes. He's challenging the usual dietary advice re carbohydrate intake given to sufferers of the disease, and has adopted a very low-carb diet. His blood test parameters are backing up his claim that this is the way to go. The radio show host says they'll discuss the implications for type 2 diabetes next week.

You can listen live or mp3 download, and/or read/copy the transcript:
    Website: http://www.abc.net.au/ >> RN >> Programs >> Health Report >> Low carbohydrate diet to manage type I diabetes
    Broadcast date 12 Aug 2013. Maybe make hard copies for your healthcare professionals.

If you're wondering about the credibility of the interviewer, you might take a look at his bio: Dr Norman Swan - http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/norman-swan/2921040
    A famous example of Dr Swan's work is his much publicised and controversial investigative program on scientific fraud and the well-known gynaecologist Dr William McBride. The program exposed fraudulent research, sending shock waves throughout the medical world and led to Dr William McBride being de-registered.
    Remember thalidomide and the birth defects it caused? William McBride was the guy who had earlier alerted the world to this. I think the story was that he was caught fiddling the numbers in his research diary to make them fit his theory in a later research project.
    Yes, I think Norman Swan has credibility ...

[Edit] Just sent email to ABC Health Report that I'd cited their show here. And of course I put in a plug for WCG. Would you guys complain too much if I left to start/join Team ABC Science? [/Edit]
    Last edited by BlindFreddie; 08-13-2013 at 07:17 AM.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    I have seen parts of this thread but just took the time to read through it all and the feelings expressed really do reach into one's heart and touch you.
    I use the line of "Life is all about the people you meet on the journey" and to me XS has been a place of just plain good people.
    I used to describe the DC guys to others as the "good hearts" people.
    Those who think of others first and do what they can to help out and that is so true.
    I am truly blessed to have you guys as friends and wanted you to know that.
    I have watched some of you go from being teenagers to young adults of good charachter and in ways it is like watching your own children grow.
    All I can say to all of you that it has been my pleasure and honor to be part of this small group of people.
    In my 61 years on this planet I have never met a better group than I found here.
    Thank you.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Xtreme Legend
    I have watched some of you go from being teenagers to young adults of good character and in ways it is like watching your own children grow.
    So, "Dad", How are you doing??

Seriously though Dave, how are you feeling?

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post

Ya youngin, how are you doin'?

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post

Quote Originally Posted by nanoprobe View Post
    Ya youngin, how are you doin'?
    A little better day by day. It's slow and still not a lot of stamina.
    Do a walk around a 40,000 sq ft grocery store and I have to sit down and rest a few minutes.
    Had company Tuesday and shopping, cooking dinner really wiped me out.
    They left and I slept over 12 hours.
    It is life changing but I'm still here and it beats the alternative!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234