Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swiftech? today announced the withdrawal from US sales of the H220

Administrator

Swiftech? today announced the withdrawal from US sales of the H220

This is very sad and I hope Gabe & Swiftech can recover from this.
    I thought I saw some place that they had a triple rad unit coming out soon.

http://www.swiftech.com/pr-7-19-13-h...vedfromus.aspx

I am not sure what products Asetek has that is like the H220 unless you consider the usual AIO water cooling units that are out there.

At least we have this one still or will it be pulled also ?

http://www.swiftech.com/H2O-x20-Edge-HD.aspx

Press Release, for Immediate Release

Long Beach, CA July 19th, 2013 11:45 PST- Rouchon Industries Inc., d/b/a/ Swiftech? today announced the withdrawal from US sales of the H220 CPU cooling kit.

On June 7 2013, Rouchon Industries Inc., d/b/a/ Swiftech? received a letter from Asetek? s lawyers claiming that the H220 CPU cooler infringes on their US patents 8,240,362 (the ?362 patent) and 8,245,764 (the ?764 patent) and to cease selling, offering for sale and importing the H220 CPU cooler in the United States. Pending final disposition of this matter, Swiftech? immediately placed a hold on shipments of the H220 CPU cooling kits into the USA.

On June 27, 2013 Swiftech?s counsel responded to Asetek? s attorney by a letter stating that preliminarily, Swiftech? does not believe that the H220 product infringes any valid claim of the ?362 and ?764 patents. Nonetheless, in an effort to avoid any unnecessary litigation Swiftech? also asked whether Asetek would be willing to offer a nonexclusive license for the asserted patents.

On July 12, 2013 Swiftech? received a response from Asetek? s law firm stating that the company does not offer licenses.

Swiftech? continues to firmly assert its position with regards to the alleged infringement as stated in its letter dated June 27, 2013. Nevertheless, in order to avoid litigation the company?s management has now made the business decision to withdraw the H220 CPU cooler from the US market.

Given these circumstances, Swiftech? wants to hereby reassure its US customers that: 1/ it will continue to provide full technical and warranty support for the H220 CPU cooling kits that have been sold in the US, and 2/ the product will continue to be sold in other countries.

Swiftech? sincerely apologizes to its US customers for this extraordinary situation, the very first in its long history. For the past 15 years, Swiftech? has been at the forefront of technological innovation in this industry, and it will continue to do so. In the words of Gabriel Rouchon, the company?s Chairman and CTA: ?I want our customers to know and expect with absolute confidence that Swiftech?s resourcefulness will once again be brilliantly demonstrated in the immediate future?.

What part exactly is it that Asatek claims is being infringed on? I'm not good at decifering patent info... Looks almost to me like the patents are for standard air coolers or any water cooling system, which makes zero sense...
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Banned
    Patent issues can be very tricky because you patent a concept, not a product. How courts interpret patents can be anything from reasonable to absurd. These cases can cost far more than all the gross sales generated in the U.S. for all Swiftech products combined. It's quite possible that Swiftech did unknowingly violate a patent but only time will tell. Basically in the U.S. the only ones who win are the lawyers who get paid no matter how good or bad they perform nor who receives the favorable decision.

Xtreme Member
    The first was Coolit, now Swiftech. It seems like Asetek has the patent of the AIO concept. Sad news, we don?t need another patent troll.
    Last edited by Dami3n; 07-19-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Maybe they could lower the price and offer it without fans, under a different name. I don't see how Swiftech is infringing anyhow, the H220 is not a closed-loop system. If the decision were mine, I would file a counter and say Asetek was being anti-competitive.
    CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz
    RAM: g.skill 4gb ripjaws ddr3 1600
    MOBO: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
    VID: HD6950 @ 850/1300 (for now)
    SOUND: Auzen X-Fi Prelude
    PSU: Seasonic X-560
    HDD: Seagate 500gb :: Samsung 500gb SATAII :: Samsung 1tb
    CASE: Antec P182 w/window
    COOLING: Panaflo 120x38mm medium-speed 2x :: Panaflo 120x25mm medium/low :: Thermalright Venomous X/ Delta 120x38mm low-speed

Most teenagers (some adults, as well) have changed to decide that rap sounds musical. If you haven't, put this in your signature.

Xtreme Mentor
    wow may be only in us
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

US patent systems needs to go burn in hell, i'm starting to get really ing pissed on this constant patent trolling bull

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme XIP

Thumbs down

Very Sad news indeed such a marvelous and ingenious product , falls down due to the monopoly Asetek has in the AIO H2O Close Loop water cooler concept , bad Asetek bad :/ , feel bad for Gabe and the Team at Swiftech after all this hard work to make the best of all AIO H2O cooler , the only upgradeable one. Time to stop supporting Asetek guys , they want to continue with this monopoly with the non sense patent infringement BS. Asetek based products wont see a dime for me ever again Crap like this make me very mad

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Asetek is jealous of Apple it seems...

A sign of trying to hang on ? Asetek isn't what it used to be since the Vapochill LS era has gone by...
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by chispy View Post
    Very Sad news indeed such a marvelous and ingenious product , falls down due to the monopoly Asetek has in the AIO H2O Close Loop water cooler concept , bad Asetek bad :/ , feel bad for Gabe and the Team at Swiftech after all this hard work to make the best of all AIO H2O cooler , the only upgradeable one. Time to stop supporting Asetek guys , they want to continue with this monopoly with the non sense patent infringement BS. Asetek based products wont see a dime for me ever again Crap like this make me very mad
    Agreed Chispy

Considering that Asetek has no product out that even comes close to the performance/features of the H220.

I have purchased many, many H20-X20 Edge units and find them to be very good. If any of you guys are/were interested in these types of coolers take a look at this one, it also comes in a triple rad unit.

Visitor
    Did the Asetek CEO learn English from Windows Narrator?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...t0RssTuQ#at=38

Xtreme XIP
    Quote Originally Posted by cx-ray View Post
    Did the Asetek CEO learn English from Windows Narrator?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...t0RssTuQ#at=38

c[_]
    The way those patents are worded they cover any generic liquid cooled systems.. pure patent trolling.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Mentor
    I just grabbed an H2O-320-Edge-HD.

Fak u Aztec

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It was easily the best 240mm unit out there aside from custom loops of course. How Asetek can possibly win this lawsuit i have no clue whatsoever.
    i7 920@4.34 | Rampage II GENE | 6GB OCZ Reaper 1866 | 8800GT (zzz) | Corsair AX750 | Xonar Essence ST w/ 3x LME49720 | HiFiMAN EF2 Amplifier | Shure SRH840 | EK Supreme HF | Thermochill PA 120.3 | MCP355 | XSPC Reservoir | 3/8" ID Tubing

Phenom 9950BE @ 3400/2000 (CPU/NB) | Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H | HD4850 | 4GB Corsair DHX @850 | Corsair TX650W | T.R.U.E Push-Pull

E2160 @3.06 | ASUS P5K-Pro | BFG 8800GT | 4GB G.Skill @ 1040 | 600W Tt PP

A64 3000+ @2.87 | DFI-NF4 | 7800 GTX | Patriot 1GB DDR @610 | 550W FSP

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hmm, lots of "patent troll" comments, but I disagree; regrettably, their patent seems pretty solid. They came up with the concept and own the idea of an integrated (pump, reservoir, radiator, and block) low/no maintenance liquid cooling CPU kit. I would argue that it would be even more regrettable if someone can use your idea to cut into your business (<- this comment not aimed at "Swiftech" but at the "patent troll" comments).

Gabe, reading over the patent, Im pretty sure you can still sell this kit, it just has to be unassembled and with the liquid in a separate container. This may even lower production costs

Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    The way those patents are worded they cover any generic liquid cooled systems.. pure patent trolling.
    Not true. The "Abstract" is just a background on CPU/PC cooling. The actual description of what is being patented starts as Page 17 "Summary of Invention" for the ’362 patent or Page 15 for the ‘764 patent.

They didn't "invent watercooling" but rather a concept of mass production of assembled, cheap, and integrated waterloops with little to no maintenance required. This is a valid patent IMHO. But before everyone disagrees with me, read the patents...
    Last edited by StAndrew; 07-22-2013 at 10:55 AM.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    So... if I per say make a selection of waterblocks, pumps, radiators, tubing and pre-assemble them and fill them with liquid, and decide to sell them as a pre-built kit named... BZ's CoolAid and CoolAid Pro, I'm violating Asetek's patent of a... completely pre-assembled watercooling kit ?

Sorry, but the patent system in the US and globally in most cases sucks monkey balls ( especially if we consider the great innovations that have been patented by the #1 patent troll... aka Apple Inc. ).
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    So... if I per say make a selection of waterblocks, pumps, radiators, tubing and pre-assemble them and fill them with liquid, and decide to sell them as a pre-built kit named... BZ's CoolAid and CoolAid Pro, I'm violating Asetek's patent of a... completely pre-assembled watercooling kit ?

Sorry, but the patent system in the US and globally in most cases sucks monkey balls ( especially if we consider the great innovations that have been patented by the #1 patent troll... aka Apple Inc. ).
    I think I just agreed with BenchZowner here... man I need to go outside and get some fresh air

We need to stop talking and take action, let's hit Asetek where it hurts, boicot their products, use your social media to let everyone know not to buy from this company, use every tool at your disposal (forums, lan party, weekend overclocking events,........) to get this company out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by thegt1 View Post
    We need to stop talking and take action, let's hit Asetek where it hurts, boicot their products, use your social media to let everyone know not to buy from this company, use every tool at your disposal (forums, lan party, weekend overclocking events,........) to get this company out of business.
    because it works so well on apple

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme Member
    Yeah Reebok and Tuna companies were uninfluenced by boycotts. How could any activist expect to organize people with only telephones, letters and newspapers?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post

Its not the product that they are patenting but the idea . In a world destined only to be gained through deep wallets/rations of roman noodles, catered to enthusiasts, its understandable that someone who invested thousands of their own dollars into an idea/product and subsequently brings this world of enthusiasts to the masses wants their investment protected.

This is the classic, "police suck until your house gets robbed" attitude. When you come up with a great idea and invest your hard earned money into it and someone copies it for free, you'd be pretty pissed and wouldn't hesitate to evoke your patent. Especially if they start eating into your business, putting your investment and hard work into a hole. At least Asetek isn't pursuing damages/money like your typical "patent troll."

Now, before ppl jump to conclusions, Im not judging Swiftech.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Xtreme Cruncher
    It seems to me the main issue is having the pump and reservoir integrated onto the water block is the main issue.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Administrator
    The Edge series is very good and I will continue using it. You can use what ever block you want or the one that comes with it which I find is very good.

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    Hmm, lots of "patent troll" comments, but I disagree; regrettably, their patent seems pretty solid. They came up with the concept and own the idea of an integrated (pump, reservoir, radiator, and block) low/no maintenance liquid cooling CPU kit. I would argue that it would be even more regrettable if someone can use your idea to cut into your business (<- this comment not aimed at "Swiftech" but at the "patent troll" comments).

Gabe, reading over the patent, Im pretty sure you can still sell this kit, it just has to be unassembled and with the liquid in a separate container. This may even lower production costs

Not true. The "Abstract" is just a background on CPU/PC cooling. The actual description of what is being patented starts as Page 17 "Summary of Invention" for the ’362 patent or Page 15 for the ‘764 patent.

They didn't "invent watercooling" but rather a concept of mass production of assembled, cheap, and integrated waterloops with little to no maintenance required. This is a valid patent IMHO. But before everyone disagrees with me, read the patents...
    No, they did not invent it, nor did they invent the pre-assembled aspect. Swiftech, Dangerden, Zalman, CoolIT, XSPC, and several others beat them to the punch on many (if not all) of the mentioned portions of the patent.

They just patent trolled it first.
    Last edited by STEvil; 07-22-2013 at 06:53 PM.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast