Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amd may adopt new naming scheme for hd-9000 series. R9-XXXX

Amd may adopt new naming scheme for hd-9000 series. R9-XXXX

"AMD has decided to standardize their whole product lineup to carry a similar naming system. The recent news about Volcanic Islands, a new Radeon series, which are arriving in few months, are getting more clearer every day. First we thought that the upcoming Radeon series would be named as HD 8000, which soon was confirmed not to be true. Today we learn that Radeon HD 9000 series will in fact be named as Radeon R9-xxxx. This naming scheme will correspond to the current APU segment where you can find for instance A8 or A10. It is unknown at this moment if AMD will move on with the R9-9000 system as if they continued with the current x000 system or if they rewind the numbering."

http://videocardz.com/44408/amd-rade...radeon-r9-xxxx

Update: http://videocardz.com/45537/amd-laun...n-r-200-series
    Last edited by Ace123; 09-06-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    G.Skill Trident X 2666 Cl10
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

also it appears as the Sapphire will feature a 12 layer PCB and is in the "post production" phase
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Xtreme Member
    Looking at how FX-9590 was named they are doomed to fail anyway. They just cant hold the line. Therefore it doesnt really matter much if the flagship will be named as Strawberry and the low end product HD9980.
    "I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood."

i really wish that they would go year - gpu rank - gpu speed.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    I don't like the new naming scheme, too large and strange.

It would be much better to kill the name Radeon ( as Radeon 10970 sounds strange ), get a new codename like Atlas and use the NVIDIA's convention + add M for mobile and A for APU.

For instance, after 4 generations of GPUs in 2020 :
    Atlas 490 ( dual )
    Atlas 480 ( high performance )
    Atlas 470
    Atlas 460
    Atlas 450M ( mobile )
    Atlas 450A ( apu )

Pretty simple, intuitive and .. short.
    Last edited by jogshy; 07-17-2013 at 11:50 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    And it would kill the strong brand...not wise. Radeon will live on for a long long time.

Xtreme Addict
    Moving from "HD" prefixe is not a bad things, its absolutely no more have sense ( if the use of "HD" have got a sense one day )..... R9000 maybe, but ofc they hit the ATI 9000 series now.... not sure anyway to use a R9-xxxx is really a good idea. but well.
    ( they want start at 1K it seems.. )... lets not forget they have the FirgeGL, Fire Remote, and other professionnal GPU to push in the naming scheme..
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Addict
    Yes, they have been talking about it for over a year, no reason to make a new thread...
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Quote Originally Posted by jogshy View Post

It would be much better to kill the name Radeon ( as Radeon 10970 sounds strange ), get a new codename like Atlas and use the NVIDIA's convention + add M for mobile and A for APU.

Atlas 490 ( dual )
    Atlas 470
    Atlas 460
    Atlas 450M ( mobile )
    Atlas 450A ( apu )

No,no and...short would be Radeon R9

Also NV's naming is crap...why blunder down that path?
    If you want to get rid of someone...lend them some money.

Xtreme Addict
    From VRzone and overclockers.ru , Videocardz and different sources ( translate google )

Rebranding on the graphics card market - it is so frequent that it is almost not cause disturbance. Ironically, the profit from this operation are becoming. Companies sell "expand" range, experts are introduced into the state of stupor sellers, and the masses are able to cheaply buy new items. But sometimes rebranded reaches such proportions as to get used to the changes gradually. This happens, for example, changing the numbering of the principle of the lineup. A relatively recent example - is marking APU AMD, when there were all these A, B, C, D, and other models. The situation is similar, there are some data, we can expect an update to the autumn graphics, AMD. In fact, today we already hinted at this development.

According to our colleagues from VR-Zone and other online resources , in the fall instead of the new items under the guise of AMD Radeon HD 9xxx we can to please a message about the appearance of the adapter Radeon R9-xxxx, where the digit 9 does not apply to the name of the series.

The index R9 will serve identifier of a class of video cards, obviously - one of the highest. Some time ago the site SemiAccurate has published an excerpt from the latest drivers AMD, there was a place where such records as "AMD Radeon APU A6-6200 with R3 Graphics" and "AMD Radeon R5 M200 series". One can imagine that in this digital series is not over, that promises the appearance of series R1, R8 and others. AMD company can become a sniper and aiming to beat in every price category. Besides, if the letter "M" can refer to a cell belonging segment appearance letters "D" suggests itself. Thus, by the way, AMD graphics cards will refer to the principle of numbering APU.

In fact, in the recent past, we could see a similar designation by the example of a series of video cards Radeon X: Radeon X1950XTX and so on. Later letter "X" was replaced by "HD", so that the reverse transformation is quite likely. At the same time it will be possible to carry out a global re-branding of the old video card, and go, then figure out who is who.
    Not sure it is accurate, like allways one write something, and other sites push it.
    Last edited by Lanek; 07-18-2013 at 06:32 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    Yeah, like that worked out so well for AMD's APU line....

Consumers get crazy confused over all the different SKUs.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    Yes, they have been talking about it for over a year, no reason to make a new thread...
    The idea of the the news section in my opinion is to bring forth news articles relevant to the interests of this community so that it can all be found in one easy location and our community can discuss it. If nobody ever started a new thread just because one member had heard the news in bits and pieces before, nothing would ever get posted here and it would be a rather boring section in the forum to say the least
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace123 View Post
    The idea of the the news section in my opinion is to bring forth news articles relevant to the interests of this community so that it can all be found in one easy location and our community can discuss it. If nobody ever started a new thread just because one member had heard the news in bits and pieces before, nothing would ever get posted here and it would be a rather boring section in the forum to say the least
    Yes but trying to keep all information in one thread does in fact keep things in one location.
    But I defer, not my place to backseat moderate.
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    i really wish that they would go year - gpu rank - gpu speed.
    I like the idea of having year in the naming. Simple version could be just year - speed (perhaps some kind of average relative speed compared to last years single core flagship). Like R1302 or R1315 (first being 20% fast as R7970 and last being 150% fast).
    "I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood."

People love to buy things with a catchy,hip kinda name and advanced looks.
    Even hardware enthusiasts like us get all funny at the first pic of a cool new motherboard,lots of black n chrome...you know the drill.
    I hear plenty of remarks on the graphics card they want looking "cool" and "love the colors"(even the box art) etc even though it goes into the case and out of sight.
    This whole 7890, 8950, 9970 business is just dull and with no pizzaz at all.
    I'd rather see AMD Radeon R9.
    That rolls off the tongue nicely and sounds fat.

Remenicent of ultra high end Audi, and way too fast street bikes
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ilkkahy View Post
    I like the idea of having year in the naming. Simple version could be just year - speed (perhaps some kind of average relative speed compared to last years single core flagship). Like R1302 or R1315 (first being 20% fast as R7970 and last being 150% fast).

Huum, what year you put if the card is released in November, december 2013.. 2014 or 2013 ? because you will end with maybe a second series in end of 2014... and if you put 2013, then in 2014, your series will look 1 year old.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanek View Post
    Huum, what year you put if the card is released in November, december 2013.. 2014 or 2013 ? because you will end with maybe a second series in end of 2014... and if you put 2013, then in 2014, your series will look 1 year old.
    Exactly. Using the year is not doable.

You could do it like car manufactures and release next years models in sept and oct
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Quote Originally Posted by jogshy View Post

Atlas 490 ( dual )
    Atlas 470
    Atlas 460
    Atlas 450M ( mobile )
    Atlas 450A ( apu )

I don't know. How about Radeon Atlas ONE E3 ?

It would be like this:
    Atlas = Desktop / Gemini = Double GPU / Mobile = Mobile / Core = APU
    ONE - family
    E - enthusiast / M - Mainstream / V- value
    1-2-3 Performance level.
    Last edited by jvc; 07-19-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    You could do it like car manufactures and release next years models in sept and oct
    Then you are back to having the prefix mean nothing, other than being a prefix.

Look I'm a sucker for sweet sounding names, if they called it Radeon Super nova, or Titan Smasher or Barracuda I'd be signed up. Main reason the Gtx Titan is so popular in my opinion. The name captivates and is free from all needless and pointless numbering schemes. I'd like to see that Radeon Vesuvius.
    Last edited by Ace123; 07-19-2013 at 03:12 PM.
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Ugh...enough with the "Atlas" moniker already....yuck.
    Sounds like an annoying geography text book.

Although, it brings me back to mech commander. Throw in some catapults loaded with long range missiles, one Zeus, and one Atlas. Unstoppable.
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Although, it brings me back to mech commander. Throw in some catapults loaded with long range missiles, one Zeus, and one Atlas. Unstoppable.
    I think it sounds badass. And I think that's what we need. To go back to kick-ass GPU names instead of confusing number ones.
    Remember Riva TNT2? Voodoo 3000?
    How cool would be for the kid in us to back home and install his new Raptor 2000X (or Radeon Raptor) in his PC. They should definitely their first stacked mem GPU Raptor or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast