Thread: kraken x60 + peltiers

kraken x60 + peltiers

Why not put some peltiers in the kraken x60 to make it a closed loop water chiller -- extreme OC for the cheap/lazy masses.

Administrator
    Like just like a H100 and others to me. I think with these the pump would hold you back.

Xtreme Member
    check out the TEC section for all you ever wanted to know about TECs. there are some very knowlegable guys. they may not check the threads every day, but if you post they should answer eventually
    i7 3930@4.5GHz (EK Supreme HF), GTX690@1.2GHz (Koolance NX-690), 128G 4M + 2x128G 4M raid 0, Silverstone TJ07, Custom Enclosure w/MoRa, 18x GT AP-31, 401X2 dual PMP-400

Administrator
    I moved this to the TEC section.

Xtreme Mentor
    A Pelt in one teeny spot on the side of a rad. Only affecting a VERY small part of the waterflow. If you have the pelt on max (most noobs do) the cold side will build ice up till it freezes and clog the rad and it expands goes boom.

And how will you cool the hot side of the pelt? With a heatsink or another watercooling rad setup? A 100 watt cooling Pelt needs 200+ watts cooling on the hot side.

Nope.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Simple. You put waterblocks on both sides of the pelt. The loop goes through the hot block pre-rad and then goes through the cold block post-rad. The rad can get the water to within 5C of ambient even if it goes in at a really high temp.

First, you also need two pumps for cold and hot loop. Second, Pelts are square 40mm to 62mm square and need a block fully cover them. Most waterblocks today are small and round. This means you have to buy x2 Kraken kits. Better off building a kit, it's cheaper. Then you can run off computer PSU but pelt can draw 10a to 20a from 12V line. A dedicated 12V or 13.5v psu is recommended. As mentioned, the cold side builds condensation, especially at idle when there is less heat. It's easier to condensation proof a direct die pelt and single stage VS cold and hot loop. I've done all three and even dunked radiator into dry ice alcohol bath. Setup can survive a few drips and turned off ASAP. but never sitting water.

Finally, the heat from pelt can be equivalent to entire PC rig, +200W of heat dissappated. A small room can get hot real fast.

Xtreme Member
    The loop goes through the hot block pre-rad and then goes through the cold block post-rad.
    i'm pretty sure this would never work. but, i don't know how to explain why so i'll leave that to the experts.
    i7 3930@4.5GHz (EK Supreme HF), GTX690@1.2GHz (Koolance NX-690), 128G 4M + 2x128G 4M raid 0, Silverstone TJ07, Custom Enclosure w/MoRa, 18x GT AP-31, 401X2 dual PMP-400

AIO kits do not have the pump flow to properly cool a TEC, plus a TEC does not take the same cooling as a CPU - it's heat is spread across the whole surface, not a central die. You need cross flow, not center impingement like on a waterblock made for a CPU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Headshot View Post
    Simple. You put waterblocks on both sides of the pelt. The loop goes through the hot block pre-rad and then goes through the cold block post-rad. The rad can get the water to within 5C of ambient even if it goes in at a really high temp.
    You need two separate loops for a TEC chiller - a hot side loop with a rad, and a cold side loop without a rad. Sharing both will just heat the water you just chilled with the heat of the processor PLUS the heat output of the TEC.

Xtreme Member
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1298546/h...t-a-chiller/40

Theres alot of nonsense from people towards the OP in that thread but in theory it can work but there's a few of things to do differently...not much tho...
    Last edited by Elloquin; 08-28-2013 at 03:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.