Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Haswell Processors Not Selling Well?

Xtreme Member

Intel Haswell Processors Not Selling Well?

"Intel's new architecture "Haswell" (successor of Ivy Bridge on the 22 nm node) has not managed to turn around the declining fortunes of the PC market. While Intel has met most of its promises with Haswell such as energy efficiency, power consumption and graphics, the market uptake for these new processors have not gone as well as planned. I think the major reason for this lack of success is that most user requirements are being met by existing products and users do not require a better processor to run the existing software/services. Unlike the mobile devices market, the rate of innovation in the PC market has been quite pathetic."

Well put but there's one itty bitty 'lil point missing that contributes to lower Haswell sales and that's the fact that you gotta buy a whole new motherboard to run Haswell!! Hello???

Source
    Last edited by Zaxx; 07-16-2013 at 06:01 PM.
    'Best Bang For The Buck' Build - CM Storm Sniper - CM V8 GTS HSF
    2500K @ 4.5GHz 24/7 - Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 - GSkill 2x4GB DDR3-2400 C10
    Sapphire Vapor-X 7770 OC Edition - PC Power & Cooling Silencer MkIII 600W
    Boot: 2x 64GB SuperSSpeed S301 SLC Raid 0 Work: Intel 520 120GB
    Storage: Crucial M500 1TB - Ocz Vertex 4 128GB - 4x 50GB Ocz Vertex 2
    HDDs: 2 x 1TB WD RE4 Raid0 - Ext.Backup: 2 x 1.5TB WD Blacks Raid 1

the whole new mobo was the killer, considering that haswell was just like getting one extra smartie in a packet in terms of what you got over the last architecture
    Mountain Mods Extended Ascension Case | Intel i7-980x @ 4.21 24/7 | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 | Patriot 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 DRAM 2000MHz | 3x Gigabyte Geforce GTX 580 1536MB | 3x Dell 30" | 2x 240GB G.Skill [Phoenix Pro] Raid 0 | 6x Hitachi 3TB Desktar 7k3000 hard disk drives | Auzentech X-Fi Hometheater HD |Silverstone Strider 1500W PSU| 2x Sony BWU500S HD Ready Internal 12x Blu-ray burner | Water cooled 1 loop.

Xtreme Member
    Yes, intel went overboard this time around. Expensive prosessor with minor upgrades and clocks badly, no wonder nobody is interested.

Xtreme Member
    new mb doesnt bother me although it kinda does as you can get a good z77mb for ~$110 but the equivalent z87 is ~$180 at the moment

the biggest problem for me is its still a hot 4 core chip with minor performance improvements over sandy\ivy they need to step up the number of cores or ipc some more or even the few people that need extra performance are not interested
    TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2088\9500MHz -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
    3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM

Xtreme Addict
    I don't think it has anything to do with new socket considering a vast majority of cpu's are sold for use in new systems to begin with.

My assumption is people with a system built over the last 5 years simply don't feel any need to buy a new computer, there's no compelling reason at all unless you are a hardware enthusiast or power user. Rather than spend that money on another computer that will do what their current system does they have opt'd to spend that money elsewhere.

The most obvious reason that pops to mind for the pc market decline is simply because you no longer need a pc to be connected. The great decline didn't really hit it's stride until the market became saturated with a multitude of devices to connect to the net.
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

can we stop with the whole PC market is dieing articles. the OEM market sells desktops, and the haswel is not even available in most retail stores.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    It seems to me that the power of a 'mainstream' PC has reached a point were it can do pretty much everything people and do it fairly fast and then 3x faster if they're using an SSD to boot from. Looking backward from Haswell, we've seen nothing but modest ~12 to 18 percent per launch. Given such mediocre gains, forcing a new chipset on top of it all was a huge mistake imo. Also...for the first time that I can recall, Intel strayed from their tried, true and tested 'Tick - Tock' launch strategy...and now we see the results.

From a storage standpoint (cuz I'm an SSD fanatic) everyone will have to wait another 1 1/2 years until Intel launches the next Sata protocol, 'Sata Express' with the Z97/X99 chipsets/mobos. Think it's safe to say that we are gonna see a bit of competition between the PCI-E sata/raid controller cards...using the 4x slot of course. There's actually an affordable and decent one already out...only 2 sata6 ports but also 2 eSata and it's bootable with uefi bios akaik! I think we may have already discussed a HighPoint 600 based affordable raid card, but since this is a '2nd. Gen.' card that HighPoint is making a bit of fuss about it's probably worth another visit. (fwiw it's now sporting a Marvell 9235 raid controller!)

HighPoint 2nd Gen. 642L at NewEgg

and here's the

640L

The 640 has 4 Sata6 port but it's a 'software raided' card and is also not bootable afaik. But, it's a HighPoint 4 sata6 ports with raid via pci-e 4x for $69 free shipping!
    Last edited by Zaxx; 07-16-2013 at 06:36 PM.
    'Best Bang For The Buck' Build - CM Storm Sniper - CM V8 GTS HSF
    2500K @ 4.5GHz 24/7 - Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 - GSkill 2x4GB DDR3-2400 C10
    Sapphire Vapor-X 7770 OC Edition - PC Power & Cooling Silencer MkIII 600W
    Boot: 2x 64GB SuperSSpeed S301 SLC Raid 0 Work: Intel 520 120GB
    Storage: Crucial M500 1TB - Ocz Vertex 4 128GB - 4x 50GB Ocz Vertex 2
    HDDs: 2 x 1TB WD RE4 Raid0 - Ext.Backup: 2 x 1.5TB WD Blacks Raid 1

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaxx View Post
    HighPoint 2nd Gen. 642L at NewEgg

and here's the

640L

The 640 has 4 Sata6 port but it's a 'software raided' card and is also not bootable afaik. But, it's a HighPoint 4 sata6 ports with raid via pci-e 4x for $69 free shipping!

It's only Seriat ATA III with 6Gb/s, I did not see Serial ATA VI, I think you're a little bit confused, Serial ATA 6Gb/s has been the standard for a few years now, Same for Serial Attached SCSI. Any low end motherboard (Sandy/ivy)has the same throughput outlined by you with those two products.

Even though the cards are PCI-e the max bandwith per Serial ATA Drive is 6Gb/s.

Still, all these standards are mostly derived from the enterprise market which sets the pace for advancements.

TBH I am not sure what was the relevance of the whole SSD argument and Intel's Haswell.
    この世界には 人の運命を司る 何らかの超越的な 〝律〝...... 〝神の手〝が 存在するのだろうか? 少なくとも 人は 自らの意志さえ 自由にはできな

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    can we stop with the whole PC market is dieing articles. the OEM market sells desktops, and the haswel is not even available in most retail stores.
    Agreed Haswell really hasn't made it into OEM system yet in a big way, but make no mistake the PC market is declining.
    Check out this article on Q2 2013 shipments: http://allthingsd.com/20130710/lenov...ing-pc-market/

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Haswell will boom in laptops.. Who would buy it for desktop (except me for trying out AVX2 support )?
    2x Dual E5 2670, 32 GB, Transcend SSD 256 GB, 2xSeagate Constellation ES 2TB, 1KW PSU
    HP Envy 17" - i7 2630 QM, HD6850, 8 GB.
    i7 3770, GF 650, 8 GB, Transcend SSD 256 GB, 6x3 TB. 850W PSU

Xtreme Member
    Intel have no incentive to go beyond 4 cores on its mainstream platform. First, they are already heavily invested in a top performing CPU architecture with high IPC and secondary, the push for better and better IGP eats into the die-area budget with every generation. On top of that, the race for ever more power efficiency and system integration diverts a lot of R&D too. Until AMD makes a miracle, the situation won't change.

Xtreme Member
    Selling very bad because:

1. New socket 1150
    2. Marginal performance improvement over Ivy Bridge. Complete lack of innovation ( SATA IO, DDR4/Hypercube stacked memory, PCI4, OpenGL 4.3 support, hUMA, 4+ cores, etc... ).
    3. Same past errors: TIM overheat, USB3 suspend bug, etc...
    4. PC market declining in favor of mobile devices where ARM is the king.
    5. AMD's APU have much better integrated graphics.
    Last edited by jogshy; 07-17-2013 at 12:38 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    +1

also, less whining & whinging about the 'need new mobo for haswell' - THIS IS INTEL'S MAINSTREAM, you knew that, you knew it was coming, so quit ya cryin'! if you don't want to change socket as often, go enthusiast/low-end workstation aka s2011

Quote Originally Posted by jogshy View Post
    Complete lack of innovation ( SATA IO, DDR4/Hypercube stacked memory, PCI4, OpenGL 4.3 support, hUMA, 4+ cores, etc... ).
    ? what are you smoking? DDR4, PCIE4 aren't even out
    Last edited by tiro_uspsss; 07-17-2013 at 02:32 AM.
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Member
    Is anyone even surprised by this? I got a 2600K which I normally would have upgraded. I used to buy a new CPU every 1 or 2 years. But Intel refuses to make something new that is a meaningful upgrade for desktop users. They are only looking at AMD who are way behind, instead of looking how they can develop the market which is what they should be doing, being the market leader they are. They are dragging their feet in so many ways: features of chipsets get upgraded very slowly (number of native USB3 ports, SATA ports etc), clockspeed of CPU stays about the same, no extra cores, no big IPC improvements etc etc etc I hope this should teach them a lesson, but I doubt it. They will just see it as another proof that their choice was right and that the future is only in mobile stuff. I for one have been spending just as much on my computer as I used to. Only, the money did not go to Intel. I bought a racing wheel, new monitor, Geforce Titan etc I will not buy a new Intel CPU + motherboard until they come up with something that is a real upgrade.
    Last edited by nossy23; 07-17-2013 at 02:36 AM.
    Asus Z87 Deluxe, 4770K,Noctua NH-D14, Crucial 16 GB DDR3-1600, Geforce Titan, ASUS DRW-24B3ST, Crucial M500 960GB, Crucial M4 256GB, 3 X Seagate 4TB, Lamptron FC5 V2 Fancontroller, Noctua Casefans, Antec P183 Black, Asus Essence STX, Corsair AX860i, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, Win7 Home Pro 64 bit + Win 8.1 Home 64 bit Dual boot, ASUS VG278H

Xtreme Addict
    I would buy a 4770k if it was compatible with my 1155 socket.
    Z87 brings nothing new worth scrapping my Z77 mobo.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroikenshi View Post
    It's only Seriat ATA III with 6Gb/s, I did not see Serial ATA VI, I think you're a little bit confused, Serial ATA 6Gb/s has been the standard for a few years now, Same for Serial Attached SCSI. Any low end motherboard (Sandy/ivy)has the same throughput outlined by you with those two products.

Even though the cards are PCI-e the max bandwith per Serial ATA Drive is 6Gb/s.

Still, all these standards are mostly derived from the enterprise market which sets the pace for advancements.

TBH I am not sure what was the relevance of the whole SSD argument and Intel's Haswell.
    He's not talking about SATA IV, he's talking about SATA Express vs cheap raid cards.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconyu View Post
    He's not talking about SATA IV, he's talking about SATA Express vs cheap raid cards.
    apparently there won't even be a SATA4:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...gbps,3523.html
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Mano View Post
    I would buy a 4770k if it was compatible with my 1155 socket.
    Z87 brings nothing new worth scrapping my Z77 mobo.
    Same here. I don't see any reason to change my little MVG. Haswell brings nothing really new and interesting to the table for desktop users.

Xtreme Mentor
    Not selling well is a relative thing. I am sure it is not selling as good as Nehalems but this is expected imo. Haswell is a processor mostly for new system builders. if i build a new system i will grab a haswell but no way it will make most people to upgrade to it from ivy and nehalem for most.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Member
    In Japan Haswell not selling well since early june ... since the introduction: http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/798/798336/
    Seems japanese customers hate the higher TDP than IVB.

Xtreme Member
    I can't believe how much X86 has stagnated. I think I bought my 1100t X6 about 3.5 years ago now for $250, with a new haswell based PC I would be struggling to double my CPU performance in multithreaded rendering and encoding programs. Meanwhile how much has ARM SoC performance improved in the same time? It has to be close to 8x.

Xtreme Guru
    If anything, I would say the blame partially lies with Microsoft's disastrous Windows 8 OS alienating a good portion of their user base. People love Haswell. Everyone hates Haswell + Windows 8.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    If anything, I would say the blame partially lies with Microsoft's disastrous Windows 8 OS alienating a good portion of their user base. People love Haswell. Everyone hates Haswell + Windows 8.
    very good point

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Addict
    I think people are getting tired of buying a whole new system for 5% performance every year. Few that got Ivy are upgrading and some are even sticking with Sandy or SB-E.
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

I see zero reason to get a new CPU. My 2600k is just fine and I have no desire to have to replace my board also.

Frankly I don't see myself upgrading my board/CPU for at least another year, probably longer.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast