Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD Kaveri APU Architecture Detailed

AMD Kaveri APU Architecture Detailed

http://wccftech.com/amd-kaveri-apu-a...ler-gcn-cores/

I'll be very interested if the supposed IPC improvements pan out....and if a non APU version of the steamroller core is coming to the desktop.

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-2600K (SLB8W, E0 Stepping) @ 4.6Ghz (4.6x100), Corsair H80i AIO Cooler
    MSI Z77A GD-65 Gaming (MS-7551), v25 BIOS
    Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200 Kit (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC) @ 1.5v, 11-13-13-30 Timings (1:8 Ratio)
    8GB MSI Radeon R9 390X (1080 Mhz Core, 6000 Mhz Memory)
    NZXT H440 Case with NZXT Hue+ Installed
    24" Dell U2412HM (1920x1200, e-IPS panel)
    1 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot & Install)
    1 x 2Tb Hitachi 7K2000 in External Enclosure (Scratch Disk)

Entertainment Setup

Samsung Series 6 37" 1080p TV
    Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H based media PC, Mini ITX Case, Blu-Ray Drive
    Netgear ReadyNAS104 w/4x2TB Toshiba DTACA200's for 5.8TB Volume size

I refuse to participate in any debate with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want.
    Creationists don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters to them is that I give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Robinson View Post
    and if a non APU version of the steamroller core is coming to the desktop.
    Unlikely... they are pushing HSA for a reason.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    Unlikely... they are pushing HSA for a reason.
    With that don't expect to see any 4 module APU in the future on FM2+ or future versions to replace the current FX series?

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by xBanzai89 View Post
    With that don't expect to see any 4 module APU in the future on FM2+ or future versions to replace the current FX series?
    Without something like Hyper-Threading, AMD just can't build an 8-threaded APU without making their product consume more power than their customers want.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Without something like Hyper-Threading, AMD just can't build an 8-threaded APU without making their product consume more power than their customers want.
    They could make a CPU tho, either for AM3+ or FM2+.However it looks like they wont.Which will be a mistake, but hey, everyone nowadays does stupid mistakes (hello ms and intel)
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Don't think so.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    And yet they are selling 200w+ 5ghz units to OEM's? AMD's priorities are messed up, HSA should be on enthusiast parts too. Pigeon holing themselves as mainstream part sellers won't get them very far because those customers ask enthusiasts for advice, and bias is always an issue.

Unless their plans for discrete card HSA are closer than I think AMD won't be taking advantage for the next gen console blow back.

In my research, all rumors lead to an initial launch of APU first, followed by an AM3+ launch afterwards

that being said, I cant find any roadmaps that would suggest this. AMD is being very secretive as of late.
    Last edited by Ace123; 07-10-2013 at 07:34 AM.
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    G.Skill Trident X 2666 Cl10
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconyu View Post
    And yet they are selling 200w+ 5ghz units to OEM's?
    yes just like they sell 125w 4.2ghz parts. overclock a vishera core to 5ghz.. i assure you it will be 200 watts or more.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by i found nemo View Post
    yes just like they sell 125w 4.2ghz parts. overclock a vishera core to 5ghz.. i assure you it will be 200 watts or more.
    not always true, we can adjust voltages per chip based on our thermal range. while a stock chip has to maintain stability up to certain temp range and so it comes with a much higher voltage than needed.

i did a review on heat output and overclocking, got thuban an extra 900mhz while keeping the same energy draw, because i choose my voltage.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Guru
    if amd can give me a reason to use my am3+ motherboard that has an am3 cpu in it. i'd be glad to run it. i pray for a relly good last revision. the one time i buy a motherboard to future-proof it.. then the company i chose kind of falls on it's face..

off topic -

the point is 5ghz at 200 - 225w is excpected, and decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    not always true, we can adjust voltages per chip based on our thermal range. while a stock chip has to maintain stability up to certain temp range and so it comes with a much higher voltage than needed.

i did a review on heat output and overclocking, got thuban an extra 900mhz while keeping the same energy draw, because i choose my voltage.

Xtreme Addict
    And yet they are selling 200w+ 5ghz units to OEM's? AMD's priorities are messed up, HSA should be on enthusiast parts too. Pigeon holing themselves as mainstream part sellers won't get them very far because those customers ask enthusiasts for advice, and bias is always an issue.
    Well low volume high watt 5ghz parts are just binned niche parts which should be relatively low cost to bring to market.
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

I don't get why people on enthusiast boards moan so much about a 220W TDP. I'll start to care once TDPs break into the 400s. Until then? Keep it coming.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Banned
    The 220w stated TDP won't ever be seen even if the CPU is @ 100% load because it is the total power consumed not the true TDP as used for other AMD CPU/APUs. The point of advertising it as 220w TDP is so that mobo makers don't recommend people use these on mobos with poor VRM circuits that can't continuously supply 165+w without thermal failure. The better highend AM3+ mobo designs will likely be able to accommodate the FX-9590 without issue if it has a quality VRM design and proper cooling as many people already run OC'ed FX-8350 CPUs @ ~5 GHz. on these mobos without issue.

Kaveri will have significantly improved IPC. A CPU only desktop Steamroller version "may" be produced. The jury is still out on this but I imagine an e-mail "write-in campaign to AMD execs" might be a useful means to alert them to the desire of the AM3+ mobo market who desire to get the best value from their existing AM3+ mobo purchase. A Kaveri CPU only server model will be offered so why not an AM3+ desktop Steamroller model? The squeaky wheel gets the grease... and consumers do rule.

Most mobo makers are validating their existing mobos now to advise which ones are capable of using the FX-9590 without issue. That info. should be disseminated shortly.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AMDforME View Post
    Kaveri will have significantly improved IPC. A CPU only desktop Steamroller version "may" be produced. The jury is still out on this but I imagine an e-mail "write-in campaign to AMD execs" might be a useful means to alert them to the desire of the AM3+ mobo market who desire to get the best value from their existing AM3+ mobo purchase. A Kaveri CPU only server model will be offered so why not an AM3+ desktop Steamroller model? The squeaky wheel gets the grease... and consumers do rule.
    There has been absolutely no talk of that through 2014. The single socket servers are based on Kaveri(aka Berlin) and 2-4P are based on Piledriver cores (aka Warsaw) and the Seattle is ARM based.

Unless they have redefined their 2h '14 - 2015 roadmaps within the last month, there has been no mentioned of a Steamroller CPU w/o APU that I have seen.
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

you mean like the modules that are already like one core and 2 threads they sell now

i dont see amd getting anything with good general task performance unless openCL gets wide adoption.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I doubt Kaveri has a higher clock speed than Richland.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by AMDforME View Post
    The 220w stated TDP won't ever be seen even if the CPU is @ 100% load because it is the total power consumed not the true TDP as used for other AMD CPU/APUs. The point of advertising it as 220w TDP is so that mobo makers don't recommend people use these on mobos with poor VRM circuits that can't continuously supply 165+w without thermal failure. The better highend AM3+ mobo designs will likely be able to accommodate the FX-9590 without issue if it has a quality VRM design and proper cooling as many people already run OC'ed FX-8350 CPUs @ ~5 GHz. on these mobos without issue.
    Trust me, that 220W TDP for the FX-9590 is pretty close to what it can produce. Take out AMD's Cool n Quiet and Turbo CORE, let it run at 5GHz nominally and it's flaming hot. Even at 4.7GHz, it b*tch slaps most air coolers pretty hard.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by qcmadness View Post
    I doubt Kaveri has a higher clock speed than Richland.
    Doesn't need to if all the performance increases/enhancements are true.
    If it tops out around 4.5-4.7ghz that would be awesome.

Xtreme Mentor
    need new socket and new mobo FM2+
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by PatRaceTin View Post
    need new socket and new mobo FM2+
    Yeah and im preeeeeetty sure it will have quad channel mem controller (stilt gave advice of bying 4*xGB ram in muropaketti if going to upgrade to kaveri...).

Xtreme Addict
    So keen for FM2+

HTPC needs a rollover!

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Member

Unless their plans for discrete card HSA are closer than I think AMD won't be taking advantage for the next gen console blow back.
    I agree that enthusiasts would have a bias against a mainstream part and AMD has been advertising this as a mainstream part but unless certain news sources are incorrect the APU is capable of coordinating with enthusiast parts as long as the software is coded to do that.

It's due to that conditional which is probably why AMD doesn't emphasize its capabilities with discrete cards.

Xtreme Guru
    I think if AMD's marketing team were smart, they would just lay low for a while and funnel all their available funds towards engineering. Nothing buys customer love and forgiveness like good performance without PR BS
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    I think if AMD's marketing team were smart, they would just lay low for a while and funnel all their available funds towards engineering. Nothing buys customer love and forgiveness like good performance without PR BS
    Because that worked soo well for them last time...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast