Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft drops used games and online requirement policies

Xtreme Addict

Microsoft drops used games and online requirement policies

Wow, a sensible decision at last.
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/n...-policies.html

I guess they counted on PS4 using the same draconian DRM and they failed. There's time for them to save sales but their public image is ruined forever.

Xtreme Member
    May be too little, too late. It will probably win them back some customers but not many imo.
    'Best Bang For The Buck' Build - CM Storm Sniper - CM V8 GTS HSF
    2500K @ 4.5GHz 24/7 - Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 - GSkill 2x4GB DDR3-2400 C10
    Sapphire Vapor-X 7770 OC Edition - PC Power & Cooling Silencer MkIII 600W
    Boot: 2x 64GB SuperSSpeed S301 SLC Raid 0 Work: Intel 520 120GB
    Storage: Crucial M500 1TB - Ocz Vertex 4 128GB - 4x 50GB Ocz Vertex 2
    HDDs: 2 x 1TB WD RE4 Raid0 - Ext.Backup: 2 x 1.5TB WD Blacks Raid 1

While it was asinine for them to even have that stupid idea in the first place, at least they've listened to the backlash of the market and are adjusting accordingly.

I still won't buy one
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    The damage has already been done. People won't easily forget about their anti-consumer mentality that they went with at first.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Mano View Post
    Wow, a sensible decision at last.
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/n...-policies.html

I guess they counted on PS4 using the same draconian DRM and they failed. There's time for them to save sales but their public image is ruined forever.
    I don't know if MS cares if their public image is ruined, but this is great news for those of us who will be buying their kid both a PS4 and a XBox1.

I buy a fair amount of used games when they're not on the "gotta have it day it launches" list.
    Intel 990x/Corsair H80 /Asus Rampage III
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    While it was asinine for them to even have that stupid idea in the first place, at least they've listened to the backlash of the market and are adjusting accordingly.

I still won't buy one
    that was the plan, now they can say MS cares and market it as they listen to customers.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Mentor
    The PS4 stil is 100 euro cheaper and has the better hardware.

And this also doesnt change the arrogance towards the customers.

edit:
    I also got the feeling that they didnt do this because of the criticism but because the execs saw the PS4 beating the XboxOne on pre-orders.
    Last edited by Starscream; 06-19-2013 at 05:23 PM.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

Xtreme Member
    I still have no interest in the xbone, it's slower and more expensive. They also still seem to have a poor policy regarding smaller companies self publishing and charging developers for patches or releasing new content. I was kind of looking forward to the xbox brand failing but it's probably better for everyone if there's more competition.

Xtreme Member
    i still hate this console with passion. btw, don mattrick went from this:

(fortunately we have a product for people who cant get decent connection thats called xbox 360)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yC8FbgGnd0

to this:
    (we at microsoft care deeply about our customer, so much. please love us)
    Your Feedback Matters ? Update on Xbox One

what a wonderful person.
    "Thanks for the f-shack. Love, Dirty Mike & The Boys" - from Dirty Mike & The Boys

Xtreme Enthusiast
    and they cared only after the sales for pre orders, the money was hurt.
    just like windows 8 pro, even though oems really stopped them from understanding how bad it hurt their money til too late so they came up with free windows blue. :P
    its amusing. how they didn't drop the price too , to show they are ready to compete again. instead it just shows how this is just a please give us money stll move. we'll be nicer, as long as you don't give us market share.
    MM Duality eZ modded horizon (microres bracket). AMD 8120 4545Mhz 303x15 HTT 2727 1.512v load. 2121Mhz 1.08v idle. (48hour prime95 8k-32768 28GB ram) 32GB GeIL Cosra @ RAM 1212Mhz 8-8-8. 4870x2 800/900 load 200/200 idle. Intel Nic. Sabertooth 990fx . 4x64GB Crucial M4 raid 0 . 128GB Samsung 840 pro. 128GB OCZ Vertex 450. 6x250GB Seagate 7200.10 raid 0 (7+ years still running strong) esata raid across two 4 bay sans digital. Coolit Boreas Water Chiller. CoolerMaster V1000. 3x140MM back. 1x120MMx38MM back. 2x120MMx38MM Front. 6x120MM front. 2x120MM side. silverstone fan filters. 2x120MMx38MM over ram/PWM/VRM , games steam desura origin. 2x2TB WD passport USB 3.0 ($39 hot deal score) 55inch samsung 1080p tv @ 3 feet. $30 month equal payments no int (post xmas deal 2013)

Xtreme Addict
    Although competition is good for the consumer, I really wish that microsucks loses billions on the xbox, then, with a bit of luck, ALL the upper management responsible for the attitude of 'we @ microsucks know better how an OS/game console should be used and we will make sure the consumer comes around to our way of thinking when using our products, whether they like it or not !!!!'............are all sacked, to be replaced by ppl who can give the consumer products they really want to use and own, without the limitations forced upon them by microsucks
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Well that's a start, so Microsoft went from being arrogant to being nice, because if Microsoft really did go through those ridiculous DRM schemes with their Xbox, they may as well withdraw from the console market because I don't see how it would sell, not to mention the community has spoken as well.

Being arrogant and refusing to listen to customer feedback isn't going to earn Microsoft brownie points either, so they had to suck it up.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Mentor
    Good news )
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I will believe it when this generation is replaced and the policies have not been brought back. We all know MS wants to have these policies and will put them in as soon as they think they can.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Leiw View Post
    The damage has already been done. People won't easily forget about their anti-consumer mentality that they went with at first.
    In fact, they will. Sony have done some pretty stupid things in their past as well, but people tend to forget.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Leiw View Post
    Mmmmm hmmm, just like people wont easily forget the massive issues from Sony about the spywarre being installed, locking down consoles, crazy usage (or lack thereof?) policy, and security issues (on multiple occasions) all from just the last year or maybe 2 at most. But no, Sony is an absolute godsend to the gamer.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Addict
    I love competition...
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Member
    Xbox one is the result of Microsoft listening to game developers, those poor fellows, why aren't they taking heat?

Xtreme Member
    Finally I can sell my games to gamestop for one dollar!
    3570K @ 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H | 7970 Ghz 1100/6000 | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD (Win 7) | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD (OSX 10.8.3) | 16GB Vengeance 1600 | 24'' Dell U2412M | Corsair Carbide 300R

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaxx View Post
    May be too little, too late. It will probably win them back some customers but not many imo.
    my thoughts

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Microsoft - "Don't like it? Don't buy it."
    Everyone - "OK. Done."
    Microsoft - "Wait! Wait! We were j/k!"

Idiots.

Xtreme Addict
    The only good news here is that voting with your wallet still works.
    Microsoft didn't listen to anybody but their own bank account. A friend of mine who works at Spain's largest game retailer told me yesterday they had sold 32 PS4 vs 1 that is ONE xbone.
    That's the only thing MS cares for.

Xbone is now closer to what PS3 offers, but it's still more expensive and there's no information about some of the other drawbacks, like kinect being always on etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathReborn View Post
    I will believe it when this generation is replaced and the policies have not been brought back. We all know MS wants to have these policies and will put them in as soon as they think they can.
    True. Just like Sony removed the Linux option after selling many machines, MS might go back to their original plan at any moment.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well, before opening champagne we have to remember that:
    1.Xbox one still needs internet activation ,why ? Kinect has to scan my room in search of any non NSA approved material ?
    2.Kinect still needs to be ON ,and whenever console gets internet access it will send some data...
    3.Its slower and costs more than PS4
    4.All this TV stuff will work in few countries around the world (maybe only USA)
    5.They will force on you few different things like msn hotmail skype etc .
    6.You have to pay for online play and have an account with it (most probably only real name/country valid),thats a wide rant, sony needs this too, sony is cheaper tho
    7.redacted
    8.It wont be available in the whole world ,21 countries at the beginning ,and with region lock and other features you wont be even able to configure the first time initialization of the console even if you import one.(?_game wise region lock is gone however imported consoles may still be a no go because of the first time internet activation)
    9.Lets be real, they have it all ready, they will turn back drm ,just in phases over time.And dont kid ourselves, sony wants the same ...

Either way, if someone really wants to buy a console they should go with ps4.MS needs to learn, however i doubt they will (sony did in some ways tho)
    Last edited by vario; 06-22-2013 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Removed small part of anti MS rant because of inaccuracy :-)
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    6.You have to pay for online play and have an account with it (most probably only real name/country valid)
    The same applies to PS4.
    Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    7.It will have region lock ,yay!No imports, a big FU to people not in the states or japan (or even those countries on some occasions)
    8.It wont be available in the whole world ,21 countries at the beginning ,and with region lock and other features you wont be even able to configure the first time initialization of the console even if you import one.
    Region locks are gone.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    The same applies to PS4.

Region locks are gone.
    Yes, i was wrong with the region lock for games, and PS4 multiplay it seems,PS4 multiplay however has much more value, cheaper while offering more games for "free".As for the console its really up in the air still.It needs this one time activation, it could go either way, for a long period of time you couldnt register xbox gold account in many countries, at least not without lying and hoping you wont get banned.It may be impossible to activate x one in a country where it wasnt launched yet.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast