Thread: EK-FC7950 _not_ compatible with certain 7950 "Reference" cards?

EK-FC7950 _not_ compatible with certain 7950 "Reference" cards?

I've been a loyal EK customer for years. I'm starting my latest build and have always used EK nickel/plexi full board blocks for my video cards. I love them and have never had an issue. I checked their site to determine the card I was looking at was compatible with their 7950 block:

http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/s...t?gpu_gpus=606

I purchased the card over a month ago and have already cut the box to submit the rebate. When I had enough money to make a PPCS purchase for all the watercooling parts, I bought the block & backplate. When it arrived the other day, I voided the warranty by removing the stock cooler (breaking the warranty stickers) and have found that the video card is apparently not even close to a reference design, considering the EK block is not even close to fitting. This is my 4th or 5th watercooled build, so I am not new to mounting blocks. It's not even close!

I contacted EK 2 days ago via their website and haven't heard back yet. Does anyone know what my recourse is here, if any? I'd hate to have to sell a brand new video card for much less than I paid when it hasn't even been used, not to mention the delay in my build this will/has already caused. Very frustrating!

In the meantime - can anyone recommend a 7950 REFERENCE CARD that is actually reference? I've been looking at this one as a replacement:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131478

Does anyone know if this is for sure a Reference design and will therefore work with the EK-FC7950? I don't want to void another warranty / rebate etc. to find out it won't work. It is listed by EK as being supported but so was the XFX...

http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/s...t?gpu_gpus=846

I appreciate any insight anyone might have with regard to this mess! Thanks!!

** EDIT ** : So now I'm reading that EK has been "flaky" at best with their new nickel plating process, so maybe it's time I switch manufacturers after all. Does anyone know a waterblock that might work with my XFX 7950 card by any chance??
    Last edited by lonkny; 06-19-2013 at 10:39 AM.

skorpien
    Unfortunately, the longer a card has been on the market, the more likely the manufacturer is to redesign the PCB. Oftentimes, they do so without changing the model number.

What you seem to have is a redesigned card, so unfortunately the PCB will not be reference and will not work with any full cover blocks.

One course of action is to get a universal block and use heatsinks for the VRMs.

Another is to return the card and purchase a reference designed card. The problem with this is that there's no way of ensuring you get a reference design without first looking at the PCB. You could try asking the retailer if they'll look at the PCB of the cards they carry and let you know if any of them have the words "AMD" stamped near the PCI connectors. (Not all reference design cards will have AMD on it, but the ones that do are definitely reference design.)

I myself have two Gigabyte 7950s (Windforce) that I purchased from a local retailer a few months apart and both are reference design (both fitted with the EK 7950 blocks) though neither have the word AMD stamped on them. Gigabyte has since redesigned the PCB, but I do believe that the redesigned PCB has the word "v2" (or similar) in the model name. If you have a local PC store, see if you can get in and have them open a card to let you check.

Best of luck!