Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: **Official** GIGABYTE Z87X-OC/OC Force Club

Xtreme Member
    Just mounted my EK VRM/Chipset blocks.I have had the kit for over a week but I haven't had time to put them on. I also swapped TIM on CPU from Coolaboratory Liquid Pro to Coolaboratory Liquid Ultra and put some Liquid Ultra on the chipset. I also used Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pad on the VRM instead of the 1mm thick thermal pad that came with the block.

Looks good. Hope it helps with the over clocking and I am certain it will help with cooling.

Xtreme Member
    I updated the microcode of the F5 BIOS from 7H to 10H using the method found in this thread over at HF. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1770773&page=4

Going tot try it out soon.

I am Xtreme
    here: https://www.facebook.com/teamauoc
    z87xoc.X01 http://www.mediafire.com/?byu5xiuom51mwa4

A couple notes i want to add:
    To change RTLs different per channel(the board might auto do this correctly, but if it doesn't, then you will need to use fully manual mode, meaning youll have to set all timings the same per both channels(ouble work) So IMO save your profiles to USb drive as well as the profiles just so you don't have to redo it all the time. You will see two RTL and two IOL change things under manual mode, but those are just for each side of the single DIMM for that channel, so you need to set most everything same except the RTLs/IOLs per channel. (THis will be remedied to make it much easier to set both channel's RTLs/IOLs without having to set all timings twice)

DRAM OVP/OCP has been worked on, and also so has vDIMM capability even on air you can do over 2.0+v, SamOCX you got your 2.4v BIOS here.

This BIOS should be better with subzero(it has fully unlocked voltages).

tWR still isn't working perfect, however tWR is just part of another timings tWRPDEN, so to change tWR just set something in the BIOS like 10 for tWR, and then set your tWRPDEN to 11 or 12(i forget which I used) and you will get tWR of 10. (This will be fixed soon, but it isn't impossible to change tWR effectively, its actually quite easy) tWRPDEN=tWR +/- some things.

This BIOS enjoys training the memory on every boot, so from a cold boot or a hard reset expect a retrain of the memory, sometimes its best not to retrain so you might need to get a feel for it. (This will also be remedied in a future release)

Dinos and Cookie i am sure will post up how they got their top memory OCs very soon.

This is the First revision of the X series BIOS, second will only get better.

Xtreme Addict
    Why is the Force version more than double the price of the OC board?
    lol... This forum requires that you wait 70 seconds between posts. Please try again in 8 seconds.
    *phone rings*
    Friend: Do you have a spare PSU lying around?
    Me: No why?
    Friend: My PSU just blew up, I think the second 8800GTX might have been too much for it to handle
    Me: what PSU was that again?
    Friend: Antec 480w
    Me:........

I am Xtreme
    Because it has as more complex PCB, dual Intel NIC, PLX for 4-way with total 32x lanes while the OC only has 16x lanes(and can only do 2-way SLI, but can do 4-way CF but at really damn low speeds).

Right now the Z87X-OC is getting some crazy memory enhancements which I do not think the Force will get(yet at least), even though the Force can hold its own if you know what you are doing.

Xtreme Addict
    Trying to tighten things with 4x8GB MFR sticks. I'm not sure how much farther I can go on air/AIO water.

I may have to snag a regular OC since the Force is not strong with this one
    i7 4930K
    32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3-2400C10
    Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
    2x GeForce GTX 780
    Corsair AX1200
    Cooler Master HAF-X
    Dell U3011

Xtreme Addict
    Guess I'm the only person crazy enough to keep trying to clock 8GB MFR sticks

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2875913

I know this isn't efficient at all (TRRD=10 killing the numbers) but I like how the Z87X makes it easy to find your max MHz by setting timings loose on auto. It's much easier to start loose and tighten than start tight and try to loosen.

Last edited by Shiranui Gen-An; 07-29-2013 at 05:41 PM.
    i7 4930K
    2x GeForce GTX 780
    Corsair AX1200
    Cooler Master HAF-X
    Dell U3011

Xtreme Member

That VRM is powered by IR 3553M which seems incredibly weak compared to the Force. From what I have researched online the IR 3553M is designed more for a server system not an over clocked gaming RIG and has max current rating of 40A which is way lower than the 60A rating that I have read a few reviews state it has. I think the reviewers got the amperage rating confused with the IR 3563B power unit which is rated for 60A from what I have researched.

With only 8 phases for cpu I think Gigabyte cut costs big time here. I got suckered into the "OC" hype of this MB and was sold on this IR power unit which from what I am learning is different than what many online reviews have stated. Considering the VRM is much weaker than the FORCE and only has half the numbers of phases for CPU.

The OC deserved at least 8 phases with top quality IR3550.

I already bought the chipset blocks as well.
    Last edited by SonDa5; 07-31-2013 at 07:02 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by SonDa5 View Post

That VRM is powered by IR 3553M which seems incredibly weak compared to the Force. From what I have researched online the IR 3553M is designed more for a server system not an over clocked gaming RIG and has max current rating of 40A which is way lower than the 60A rating that I have read a few reviews state it has. I think the reviewers got the amperage rating confused with the IR 3563B power unit which is rated for 60A from what I have researched.

With only 8 phases for cpu I think Gigabyte cut costs big time here. I got suckered into the "OC" hype of this MB and was sold on this IR power unit which from what I am learning is different than what many online reviews have stated. Considering the VRM is much weaker than the FORCE and only has half the numbers of phases for CPU.

The OC deserved at least 8 phases with top quality IR3563B.

I already bought the chipset blocks as well.
    No that isn't right, please list the reviews so I can out the reviewers who stated these numbers?

First off IR3563B is a PWM it controls the phases it doesn't limit output. Also 40A per phase is HUGE compared to what anyone else would use. It is also WAY more than needed, i don't even use the heatsink on those IR3553 as there is not much point.

Most of these LF-PAK and PowerPAKs might be able to pull off 15-25A per phase depending on the quality and amount used, NexFET that ASUS uses on ROG, and that ASRock is now using on their Extreme6 and on their OC Formula boards are also 25A continuous and 40A peak, basically same as IR3553. IR3550 is possible the best you can get, and so no there is no reason to use them on the OC board.
    Okay let's put it this way, IR3550 are possibly THE MOST Expensive part aside from maybe DirectFETs that no one really uses anymore.

Let's do a quick calculation: Let's say 25A per phase(as that is 90% eff on the NexFET and the IR3553), that is 8 phases that can do 25A per phase so 8x25A= 200A times the VIN voltage which is 1.8v by default and upto 3v, so 1.8x200=360W or 600W for 3v and these IR3553 can do this on air, you really can't get that from other MOSFET designs, other than the NexFET. DrMOS doesn't even have that unless you use 50A DrMOS(which people only use the 35A varient on motherboards for OC). So think about it, how much power does your CPU pull? I woudl be VERY surprised if you could get it to use more than 120A let alone 200A hahahahahaha, and it is capable of bursts of 40A so that would make the OC VRM capable of 320A, then times by 3V and that is output its capble of when the oardis under Ln2 to cool the FET enough to allow it.

IR3553 is the size down variant. Did you check what the ASUS ROG boards use? They use D87350D http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datashe...D87350Q5D.html

Which is also upto 40A. ASUS uses one of these per phase, with 60A choke as well.

IR3563B is a PWM, it doesn't output current, what review did you read this crap in?

Just read my reviews for VRm analysis please, or look at THE VRM LIST I have been updating:
    http://www.sinhardware.com/images/vrmlist.png

60A per phase with 60A power stage and 60A inductors were unheard of for motherboard VRM. You are talking AMPs here you aren't talking watts.

Z87X-OC VRM ~ Maximus Vi Extreme/Formula/Hero/Impact/Gene VRM, with Z77 GBT has strongest VRM, this 16 phase Z87X-OC Force VRM has about 30A-35A inductors, still outputs way more than any other board out there. It is total overkill.

The Z87X-OC VRM is perfect for its use, not using IR3550 is how they are able to keep the cost down, as using IR3550 would have increased cost and the board might have cost $250 for no reason, you wouldn't see an improvment in OC.

Limiting factor in VRm design for output is first the input(the PCH and connector), then the high-side FET, then the inductor. So the inductor is the last place it can bottleneck, Z87X-OC has 60A chokes, they wont bottleneck, but right now the Z87X-OC Force only uses 35A chokes so the IR3550 are just for show to justify charging $410 for the board. No way they can even go to 35A as the CPU could never pull that much from each phase on a 16 phase board.
    Last edited by sin0822; 07-30-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Dat Bright Slap!

i7 4930K
    2x GeForce GTX 780
    Corsair AX1200
    Cooler Master HAF-X
    Dell U3011

Yea,
    SonDa5
    spread his theory all over the net.

Edit:
    Edited name,to avoid confusion.
    Last edited by stasio; 07-31-2013 at 03:26 PM.
    Need a Gigabyte latest BIOS?
    Z370 AORUS Gaming 7,
    GA-Z97X-SOC Force ,Core i7-4790K @ 4.9 GHz
    GA-Z87X-UD3H ,Core i7-4770K @ 4.65 GHz
    G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG @ 3100 (12-15-14-35-CR1) @1.66V
    2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black SATA3 1TB HDD,
    Evga GTS 450 SC, Gigabyte Superb 720W
    XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 (Liquid Ultra)
    NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower
    Win 7 SP1 x64;Win 10 x64

Xtreme Addict
    sin0822: all reviewers are wrong,just use my reviews of VRM,i am always right =))

so mr sin0822,you say z87x-oc has 60A chokes and they won't bottleneck,but z87x-oc force will bottleneck with 35A yet they slapped the expensive stuff there only to justify the price?You logic is beyond comprehession,but hey,i guess i should read your theory and embrace the true light...

XIP

With only 8 phases for cpu I think Gigabyte cut costs big time here. I got suckered into the "OC" hype of this MB and was sold on this IR power unit

The OC deserved at least 8 phases with top quality IR3563B.
    Did you really clock this board air/cold and see in fact the difference with any board using different vrromm?
    Last edited by Dumo; 07-30-2013 at 01:17 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    No that isn't right, please list the reviews so I can out the reviewers who stated these numbers?

Limiting factor in VRm design for output is first the input(the PCH and connector), then the high-side FET, then the inductor. So the inductor is the last place it can bottleneck, Z87X-OC has 60A chokes, they wont bottleneck, but right now the Z87X-OC Force only uses 35A chokes so the IR3550 are just for show to justify charging $410 for the board. No way they can even go to 35A as the CPU could never pull that much from each phase on a 16 phase board.
    60AMP chokes should have been paired with IR3550 parts. Based on what I am seeing it looks like the Z87X-OC is not good design and will end up failing before the Force will. Force has double the number of higher amperage rated true "OC" (per IR manufacturer guidlines) 3550 part. With the low rated higher spec choke the power has better digital distribution of cleaner power for pushing cpu. The Force is a much more cleaner power design and the "OC" with 3553M is has a much higher potential to put out low quality power.

The Z87X-OC is marketed as being budget no thrill get to the point over clocking mother board yet uses the same CPU power IR3553M part found in the much cheaper priced Z87 being used in the UD3H. I could have spent less money and got a UD4H with double the amount of IR3553 power(16) for CPU. This IR3553M part is recommended to be used in server motherboard not over clocked gaming mother boards.

Sorry but I coudn't find some of the reviews that lead me to believe the CPU VRM IR were IR3550. Vortez still shows some nice art work for the "OC" series that show IR3550.

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages..._review,5.html

I really thought the "OC" series featured this IR 3550 VRM for the CPU power.

No theory here. Just sharing what I have found. To me it seems Gigabyte was trying to offer a "OC" series MB with the Z87X-OC but cheapened out on parts to make the most money possible from hyping it up and marketing.

To the enthusiast it makes no sense to buy this MB because its obvious the main VRM power output desing was cheapened out. I know this now but when I ordered it I didn't realize the IR's being used were cheapened out.

I'm not seeing other results with high CPU over clocks for ambient temp cooling with the Z87X-OC either. My delidded bare die mounted 4770k requires 1.4v withis mother board to clear a pass of the pre configured tests of the new Linpack with AVX2 and temps are in the low to mid 90C so I really don't have much head room left.

In that VOrtez review link that I posted they had a much better quality 4770k that required much less voltage and wasn't delided and they could only get to 4.7GHZ.

If I had cleaner cooler power from VRM I think my CPU would do better.

Couldn't a bios update fix the power? It's all digital so I think there is room for BIOS improvement but right now things don't seem right for my over clocks on ambient temps and I am not seeing many people results with ambient temp cooling and most people seem more interested in RAM speed. I am more interested in MAX CPU over clocks.
    Last edited by SonDa5; 07-30-2013 at 02:57 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumo View Post
    Did you really clock this board air/cold and see in fact the difference with any board using different vrromm?
    Don't need to. I know the VRM parts used on the Z87X-OC are rated for server mother boards not over clocked gaming mother boards. I read this on the spec sheets for the parts. The VRM design on the Z87X-OC is much cheaper than that found on the Z87X-Force and only has half the number of CPU VRMS phases. Also i know that my max over clocks are not great.

XIP
    ^^Yes, you have to go through all the steps of overclocking this mobo air/h20/cold to prove that its using unacceptable vroomm

Just reading the spec sheets won't get you anywhere, overclock it!
    Last edited by Dumo; 07-30-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumo View Post
    ^^Yes, you have to go through all the steps of overclocking this mobo air/h20/cold to prove that its using unacceptable vroomm

Just reading the spec sheets won't get you anywhere, overclock it!

Like I stated I did over clock it and I am not pleased with the results. Knowing that the main power components for the VRM are cheaper parts found on much cheaper Gigabyte mother boards with more features is enough proof for my dissatisfaction with the mother board.

I don't plan on going Cold. I am not that competitive about over clocking but if I was that competitive I wouldn't have gotten this MB.

I'm not satisfied with the MB for ambient temp cooling over clocking.
    Last edited by SonDa5; 07-30-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    More double-sided MFR fun. Tightened the subs a bit from auto using the values from the Corsair Vengeance 3000 preset.

i7 4930K
    2x GeForce GTX 780
    Corsair AX1200
    Cooler Master HAF-X
    Dell U3011

I am Xtreme
    Wow dude 32GBs of double sided hynix at 3K is impressive on air mate ! That OC Force got some punch in her.
    Tell us when you get your Z87X-OC how much crappier its VRM OC is lol j/k.
    Pro Overclockers want the most true phases, without doubling, in the smallest area, with the best output filter(inductors+capacitors), GBT took the money they woudl have spent for no reason on IR3550 and used it instead to use the 60A chokes, the Z87X-OC is the only Z87 GBT board to feature these chokes(same as ultra durable 5 standard from Z77, they have the lightning bolt P on them).

Like I stated I did over clock it and I am not pleased with the results. Knowing that the main power components for the VRM are cheaper parts found on much cheaper Gigabyte mother boards with more features is enough proof for my dissatisfaction with the mother board.

I don't plan on going Cold. I am not that competitive about over clocking but if I was that competitive I wouldn't have gotten this MB.

I'm not satisfied with the MB for ambient temp cooling over clocking.
    Then return it and try to find a better one? J/K b/c that is just insane that you would think a Ir3553 a 40A part is a POS. lol Make sure to tell ASUS ROG board owners(MVIE, MVIG, MVIH, and MVII) that their boards also use crappy "server" level components, because we all know that servers use the crappy parts. lol. I mean seriously grab a Ud4H or a OC Force and tell me your OC is 100mhz higher, I have all these boards and I can tell you the OC isn't behind the ones with more power phases or IR3550 instead of IR3553. You can easily compare this if you have a G1.Sniper 5 and a UD5H which I do, they both use the same chokes, comparable output capacitor number, yet the Sniper 5 has IR3550 while the UD5H has IR3553, I can tell you there is no OC difference.

By your logic, since the $200 the Maximus VI Gene has the same parts as the $400 maimxus VI Extreme in the VRM, it must mean that the Gene is awesome or that the Extreme is crap? Either way they get the job done and the Z87X-OC has basically same VRM, it has the same IR3563B, has 60A chokes, has same numbers of 10K capacitors, and same 40A output phases. Check my VRM list then check ocaholic for upclose VRm chots to confirm what VRm components the ROG Z87 boards use. ASUS increased their VRm quality over Z77, yet GBT did as well, you just see it done across the line with GBT and not just on one series.

Better yet do your own research, MOSFEts are limited by the heat produced, this comes from power losses, so why don't you go look at different MOSFETs and tell me at what power losses they are equal at same duty cycles and ambient temps, as that would roughly put them within the same temp spectrum.

Also ROG uses IR3553 on the Impact as the driver is integrated unlike the NexFET 80000 series which are just one control and one sync FET in one package.

BTW knock yourself out with this one, FLIR gun tests, the GBT Z87 board uses IR3553.
    My friend in the Czech republic(Froxic), he has a FLIR gun, I really wish I could get one, but look at this, the first 4 boards are Z87 the rest are older boards from different makers:
    This is Idle:
    http://abload.de/img/thermo_z87_12desek_idt2srm.png

THis is Load:
    http://abload.de/img/thermo_z87_12desek_lodpswn.png

Same IR3553 as the OC board same number too on the D3H, in fact the OC board and the D3H are very very close.

BTW the challenge is out there, take my VRM list and try to find a mistake. I have yet to have one manufacturer or person tell me I am wrong whether in rating or anything else.
    Last edited by sin0822; 07-30-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post

Pro Overclockers want the most true phases, without doubling, in the smallest area, with the best output filter(inductors+capacitors), GBT took the money they woud have spent for no reason on IR3550 and used it instead to use the 60A chokes, the Z87X-OC is the only Z87 GBT board to feature these chokes(same as ultra durable 5 standard from Z77, they have the lightning bolt P on them).
    I'm not a pro over clocker but i did spend money on a mother board that I thought had "OC" level VRM pars. It's only 8 phses for the CPU and when I found out Gigabyte used the same cheaper parts and number of phases found in much less expensive boards like the the Z87X-UD3H I felt like I got ripped off. I could have gotten a Z87X-UD4H with 16 phases of the same IR3553M VRM part and that board has more features.

Those Ultra Duarable chokes with visible lighting bolts don't mean jack with 60A rating when the IR3553M would blow up long before that level of amperage was ever met.

Then return it and try to find a better one? J/K b/c that is just insane that you would think a Ir3553 a 40A part is a POS. lol Make sure to tell ASUS ROG board owners(MVIE, MVIG, MVIH, and MVII) that their boards also use crappy "server" level components, because we all know that servers use the crappy parts. lol.

By your logic, since the $200 the Maximus VI Gene has the same parts as the $400 maimxus VI Extreme in the VRM, it must mean that the Gene is awesome or that the Extreme is crap?
    I found the information about the IR3553m part being server level and the IR3555 being over clocked gaming level from descriptions of the parts found on IR WEB site and part vendors. Seems to be information that comes from International Rectifier.

I am not familiar with the NextFet digital power parts on the Asus mother boards mentioned but the reviews that I have read show that they perform very well and even though they are the same 40amp rating as the IR3553M parts found on my Gigabyte Z87X-OC MB I think that Asus may have better support from Texas Instruments to control them. I have not seen many good reviews for the 8 phase IR 3553M part found on Z87X-OC and the Z87-UD3H. Not sure if the 8 phase IR3553M is utter crap but its not performing to my expectations and I would feel like I got my moneys worth if Gigabyte would have at least used the IR3550 part found on the Z87X-OC-FORCE. Gigabyte seems to be showing off those lighting bolts but hiding the true power under neath the heat sinks on the Z87X-OC.

BTW knock yourself out with this one, FLIR gun tests, the GBT Z87 board uses IR3553.
    I wonder what the amperage was. Good to see that but it also leads me to believe that digital power has alot more output potential which could help when over clocking.
    Last edited by SonDa5; 07-31-2013 at 07:52 AM.

Xtreme Legend
    wow guys, tells me you have no idea what you're talking about if you can claim IR 3553 make the PWM "weak". We specced up UD3H, not spec down OC. Everything revolves around OC board spec and design. I challenge anyone to show me what makes it weak. Test it and show me!
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Legend
    Hey guys,

Try X01 bios, you can now manually tune advanced timings in both channels and set RTLs and IOLs directly

It also plays nice with subzero ram, here is some PSC i tested and also Samsung based ICs from Corsair

Tested frequency on PSC last night with Gigabyte Z87X-OC and new X01 bios. now to tune a bit more and apply wazza

1391MHz 7-10-7-25-1T pass

moar benching

did some air testing with lower speed to see if i can get a tenth or two

Dinos22 7:18:969 - 38x105.35 - 1475MHz 9-12-12-19-108-1 - GIGABYTE Z87X-OC - 2x4GB(Corsair 2666 Samsung) - 2.18v - H2O/ln2

Dinos22 5:57:610 - 48x104.22 - 1359MHz 9-12-12-19-108-1 - GIGABYTE Z87X-OC - 2x4GB(Corsair 2666 Samsung) - 2.18v - H2O/ln2

couldnt get 5G to finish a full run, it was definitely looking better.

Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Member
    Double post. sorry.
    Last edited by SonDa5; 08-01-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Tweaking and dreaming of IR550 VRM powa for my 4770k.

So close to being where I would like to be with my Z87X-OC.

Ambient Temp water cooling.

http://valid.canardpc.com/2878462
    Last edited by SonDa5; 08-01-2013 at 01:02 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stasio View Post
    Yea,
    SonDa5
    spread his theory all over the net.

Edit:
    Edited name,to avoid confusion.

I thought your were talking about that other guy.

No theories. Just what I found out about the VRM parts that is disappointing.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast