Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Frostbite 3 Titles to Ship Optimized Exclusively for AMD GPUs and CPUs

Xtreme Addict

All Frostbite 3 Titles to Ship Optimized Exclusively for AMD GPUs and CPUs

From IGN

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/...sively-for-amd

Amidst the fray of E3 reveals and gameplay demos, EA announced a new partnership with AMD that could tip the scales for the chip maker's Radeon graphics cards. Starting with the release of Battlefield 4, all current and future titles using the Frostbite 3 engine ? Need for Speed Rivals, Mirror's Edge 2, etc. ? will ship optimized exclusively for AMD GPUs and CPUs. While Nvidia-based systems will be supported, the company won't be able to develop and distribute updated drivers until after each game is released.
    Interesting news...
    Core i7 2600K@4.6Ghz| 16GB G.Skill@2133Mhz 9-11-10-28-38 1.65v| ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | Corsair 750i PSU | ASUS GTX 980 OC | Xonar DSX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB |A bunch of HDDs and terabytes | Oculus Rift w/ touch | ASUS 24" 144Hz G-sync monitor

Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
    Hail fellow warrior albeit a surat Mercenary. I Hail to you from the Clans, Ghost Bear that is (Yes freebirth we still do and shall always view mercenaries with great disdain!) I have long been an honorable warrior of the mighty Warden Clan Ghost Bear the honorable Bekker surname. I salute your tenacity to show your freebirth sibkin their ignorance!

Xtreme Addict
    I think IGN is a little bit exagerate things, i really doubt Nvidia will not been able to get an hand on the game before the release, but at contrario, its clear in the case of thoses games, they will not been able to put time with developpers and ask them some change or optimisation on the code, or tell them: " dont do this like that, if you do it this way, performance are better ( on our own hardware ).." Nothing different of what we see usually.
    Last edited by Lanek; 06-18-2013 at 12:19 PM.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Addict
    lol just don't bench on EA based games

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Addict
    I'm far more fascinated by the CPU optimizations than the GPU. Game devs develop for one or the other GPU a lot of the time anyway. Paulbagz, it will be interesting to see if Intel still manages to be fast in the CPU benchmarks.
    Core i7 2600K@4.6Ghz| 16GB G.Skill@2133Mhz 9-11-10-28-38 1.65v| ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | Corsair 750i PSU | ASUS GTX 980 OC | Xonar DSX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB |A bunch of HDDs and terabytes | Oculus Rift w/ touch | ASUS 24" 144Hz G-sync monitor

Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
    Hail fellow warrior albeit a surat Mercenary. I Hail to you from the Clans, Ghost Bear that is (Yes freebirth we still do and shall always view mercenaries with great disdain!) I have long been an honorable warrior of the mighty Warden Clan Ghost Bear the honorable Bekker surname. I salute your tenacity to show your freebirth sibkin their ignorance!

Xtreme Addict
    Some of us have been saying for ages that this might happen. It was an obvious move. With AMD powering the next gen, it makes little sense for devs to optimize games for any other platform. Games will me made for consoles and then ported to PC, and AMD hardware will be favored.
    Last edited by El Mano; 06-18-2013 at 12:45 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by El Mano View Post
    Some of us have been saying for ages that this might happen. It was an obvious move. With AMD powering the next gen, it makes little sense for devs to optimize games for any other platform. Games will me made for consoles and then ported to PC, and AMD hardware will be favored.
    This in every way.

Not surprising at all.

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Mano View Post
    Yes, developers will forget about the companies that have 90% of the gaming CPU market, and 65% of the gaming GPU market altogether now.

Pretty soon those numbers will be reversed, because AMD has all the consoles.

Could happen I guess, but somehow I doubt it. (I don't doubt that AMD will get more play than they have with game devs though)
    Intel 990x/Corsair H80 /Asus Rampage III
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Yes, developers will forget about the companies that have 90% of the gaming CPU market, and 65% of the gaming GPU market altogether now.

Could happen I guess, but somehow I doubt it. (I don't doubt that AMD will get more play than they have with game devs though)
    well, its all about best optimization and cost savings,

if I build a game focused around a specific architecture then it will not only become cheaper, but the devs can be more productive and thus spend less on the project itself.

AMD has the next standard and therefore will be the preferred architecture to optimise code for.
    この世界には 人の運命を司る 何らかの超越的な 〝律〝...... 〝神の手〝が 存在するのだろうか? 少なくとも 人は 自らの意志さえ 自由にはできな

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This is terrible, AMD cant make solid drivers, its been years and their drivers still suck.
    Last edited by HelixPC; 06-18-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.6ghz| Corsair H100i | MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming Edition | 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 2.4GHZ | eVGA GTX 780 | Creative Sound Blaster ZxR | Samsung 500GB SSD/4TB Storage | LG 14X BLu-Ray Burner | Corsair HX1050 | Corsair Air 540 | Asus VG248QE 144HZ Monitor

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by HelixPC View Post
    This is terrible, AMD cant make solid drivers, its been years and their drivers still suck.
    Look like Nvidia have recruit some guys of the AMD driver team for the 320.18 it seems, and the early one was allready a nice piece of art in his own style ...
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Looks like 5 years of lobbying and work are starting to pay off
    remember this

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphic...dize-PC-Gaming
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    G.Skill Trident X 2666 Cl10
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Xtreme Member
    ea doesnt care much for pc optimization of any brand they are just talking about optimizing for there most profitable platform the console at least now they should work better on intel\nvidia hardware than a port from the old consoles did
    TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2088\9500MHz -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
    3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Update: EA says Frostbite 3 Optimization Not Exclusive to AMD

UPDATE: EA and AMD have issued a statement clarifying that while the two companies are collaborating on day-one support for Radeon products for Battlefield 4, the partnership is non-exclusive and gamers using other components will be supported.

?DICE has a partnership with AMD specifically for Battlefield 4 on PC to showcase and optimize the game for AMD hardware," an EA spokesperson said. "This does not exclude DICE from working with other partners to ensure players have a great experience across a wide set of PCs for all their titles.?
    AMD's statement:

"It makes sense that game developers would focus on AMD hardware with AMD hardware being the backbone of the next console generation. At this time, though, our relationship with DICE and EA is exclusively focused on Battlefield 4 and its performance optimizations for AMD CPUs, GPUs and APUs," AMD representatives said. "Additionally, the AMD Gaming Evolved program undertakes no efforts to prevent our competition from optimizing for games before their release.?
    WOOOOOF

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post

Hello Rollo,
    No, I don't think they will forget who has 90% of the gaming GPU market... right now. Therefore, their games will be compatible and will run on Nvidia hardware too.
    Remember though that even if devs didn't want to optimize for a certain hardware, both console versions are going to be created to run on a certain hardware that is, want it or not, very similar to the APU concept AMD is selling right now.

Things change and so do market shares. Are games optimized for Nvidia GPU's because there are more Nvidia cards out there or are there more Nvidia cards out there because games are optimized for Nvidia hardware? Time will tell.

Don't forget that
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroikenshi View Post
    AMD has the next standard and therefore will be the preferred architecture to optimise code for.
    in fact, AMD has the two next standards: both console systems and their APU's which are the best you can buy right now. We hardware enthusiasts are rara avis, and devs, as you know, want their games to run on as many computers as possible.
    Last edited by El Mano; 06-18-2013 at 05:04 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechromancer View Post
    I'm far more fascinated by the CPU optimizations than the GPU. Game devs develop for one or the other GPU a lot of the time anyway. Paulbagz, it will be interesting to see if Intel still manages to be fast in the CPU benchmarks.
    Wont matter for any relevant desktop, or mobile cpus anyway... we are talking jaguar (aka slightly better bobcat) here, its a weak core to begin with so they need all the optimization they can get. Piledriver, ivybridge or the new haswell/steamroller will run circles around jaguar.

Also I doubt there "optimizations" will be more then enabling certain compiler flags, only for first party studios you might see some more in depth optimization and then I think its more for the gpu rather then the cpu.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    what i was thinking about this before was.
    AMD is a module right, with currently 2 intiger processors and a single floating point, per 2 cores. kinda like Hyperthreading without logical processors
    giving +1 interger processor per module then the intel.
    If the code path optimiziations sse, etc have been optimimzed for a single units of each per module. this would explain optimizations for amd's, to make use of the whole processor instead of cross platform optimizations based on the current code path optimizations for ease of programming.

just what i was thinking about after reading this title.
    MM Duality eZ modded horizon (microres bracket). AMD 8120 4545Mhz 303x15 HTT 2727 1.512v load. 2121Mhz 1.08v idle. (48hour prime95 8k-32768 28GB ram) 32GB GeIL Cosra @ RAM 1212Mhz 8-8-8. 4870x2 800/900 load 200/200 idle. Intel Nic. Sabertooth 990fx . 4x64GB Crucial M4 raid 0 . 128GB Samsung 840 pro. 128GB OCZ Vertex 450. 6x250GB Seagate 7200.10 raid 0 (7+ years still running strong) esata raid across two 4 bay sans digital. Coolit Boreas Water Chiller. CoolerMaster V1000. 3x140MM back. 1x120MMx38MM back. 2x120MMx38MM Front. 6x120MM front. 2x120MM side. silverstone fan filters. 2x120MMx38MM over ram/PWM/VRM , games steam desura origin. 2x2TB WD passport USB 3.0 ($39 hot deal score) 55inch samsung 1080p tv @ 3 feet. $30 month equal payments no int (post xmas deal 2013)

Xtreme Addict
    Consoles.

I don't think code optimizations can make up for the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtremely Kool
    AMD's statement:

"It makes sense that game developers would focus on AMD hardware with AMD hardware being the backbone of the next console generation. At this time, though, our relationship with DICE and EA is exclusively focused on Battlefield 4 and its performance optimizations for AMD CPUs, GPUs and APUs," AMD representatives said. "Additionally, the AMD Gaming Evolved program undertakes no efforts to prevent our competition from optimizing for games before their release.”
    So its not AMD saying that NV can not have the code before release its EA saying it.
    Amidst the fray of E3 reveals and gameplay demos, EA announced a new partnership with AMD that could tip the scales for the chip maker's Radeon graphics cards. Starting with the release of Battlefield 4, all current and future titles using the Frostbite 3 engine — Need for Speed Rivals, Mirror's Edge 2, etc. — will ship optimized exclusively for AMD GPUs and CPUs. While Nvidia-based systems will be supported, the company won't be able to develop and distribute updated drivers until after each game is released.
    And the updates say there is nothing to worry about.
    UPDATE: EA and AMD have issued a statement clarifying that while the two companies are collaborating on day-one support for Radeon products for Battlefield 4, the partnership is non-exclusive and gamers using other components will be supported.

“DICE has a partnership with AMD specifically for Battlefield 4 on PC to showcase and optimize the game for AMD hardware," an EA spokesperson said. "This does not exclude DICE from working with other partners to ensure players have a great experience across a wide set of PCs for all their titles.”
    http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/1...sively-for-amd
    Last edited by Final8ty; 06-18-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I wouldn't worry as it will run just fine on Intel and NVidia tech. No issues there.

Xtreme Mentor
    we will see if again this will be a optimization on words or a real one.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Addict
    Wasn't it always that way - some games were sponsored by AMD, others - by Nvidia. For example Epic just launched Unreal 4 partners program... And guess what - Intel, Nvidia inside, AMD - outside:
    http://www.unrealengine.com/en/news/...tners_program/
    Not to mention that there are only two main physics engines - one owned by Nvidia (PhysX), another one - by Intel (Havok).

Xtreme Addict
    some said that they dont worry for optimization.

I dont worry neither when Radeon cards is 2 fps slower though loads of Joes will buy competitior's product based on 1-2 fps difference.

WIN-WIN, amd
    Vishera 8320@ 5ghz | Gigabyte UD3 | 8gb TridentX 2400 c10| Powercolor 6850 | Thermalight Silver Arrow (bench Super KAZE 3k) | Samsung 830 128gbx2 Raid 0| Fractal case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    AMD won't block nvidia involvement, but early on in development it would make more sense to be AMD focused if console is your lead platform. Also when AMD do create something they try not to make it proprietary TressFX might be flaky but their texture compression technique worked on everything, it makes more sense for everyone to support the good stuff.

Xtreme Addict
    Pffffft, DICE/EA couldnt "optimize" a bowel movment...... All this talk about consoles.... Meh....
    X299X Aorus Master
    I9 10920x
    32gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-4000
    EVGA 2070 Super x2
    Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
    4 512gb Silicon Power NVME
    4 480 Adata SSD
    2 1tb HGST 7200rpm 2.5 drives
    X-Fi Titanium
    1200 watt Lepa
    Custom water-cooled View 51TG

Xtreme Addict
    Optimizations or not, You can bet the games on PC will still run faster on Intel/Nvidia combinations than AMD/AMD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast