Thread: Controller help

Xtreme Cruncher

Controller help

How do you do guys?
    Do you have a clue on what PCI X is and if it can fit in my mobo?
    http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/131-GT-E767.pdf

I've posted this on another forum with no reply:

Hi, I have 8x16Gb SSDs ( not the best ones around). I'm planning to put them together in RAID. What's your recommendation for a desktop setup for "normal" purposes ( no gamer inside), just some music, video, coding ( programming), interwebZ and so on?
    I also have some SATA for storage. Would you suggest me to put them in RAID 10 alright?
    I'm planning to deploy windows 7 or maybe Ubuntu ( I make use of the latter for my laptop) .
    Is this guide ok in case I opt for Ubuntu?
    I've also read that there are multiple opinions concerning hardware vs software RAIDs. What would you say? I'm on a budget and this ain't for any commercial/time critical or similar scenario.

What also concerns me is the following (mobo specs):
    Quote:

SATA: 6x SATA2 Ports, 2x SATA3 Ports, Support RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5 and JBOD

Source
    Which means that the 8 of them would not work at the same speed (self correction as the ssds are SATA 2) and that I won't have room for the storage SATA drives, right?
    Are there any existent cheap "sata expanders"?

Thanks

"EDIT": Would something like the AOC-SAT2-MV8 be "fine" for this purpose ( humble project ) in case I want to go for hardware?
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

PCI-X is essentially an extended PCI slot. Only found on server boards, and even then they are falling away in favor of the more common PCIe. Your evga board doesn't have any.

Sometimes PCI-X cards work in standard PCI slots, but it is like putting a PCIe x16 card in a PCIe x4 slot. You lose a lot of bandwidth. Not all cards can do this either.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Banned
    I believe in this case they are saying you need a 64 bit PCI slot. Your mobo has (1) PCI slot but it's a 32 bit so you probably can't use this controller though some controllers will work in both but with reduced data capacity in a 32 bit slot. I'd e-mail both Supermicro and EGVA for confirmation so you don't end up with opinions instead of facts.
    Last edited by AMDforME; 06-12-2013 at 09:18 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I don't see the problem with using you mb based raid 0+1. If your ssd's are only sata2, they aren't going to go faster on sata3 ports, and so will work like 8 sata2 ports. (i don't think it would cause any problems using sata3 drives in the same scenario either, everything would just go at sata2 speeds)
    Richland 6790K @ 4.713 Ghz / 2208 NB / 1123 gpu / 2304 Ram [96 Bclk]
    F2A85-M Pro, Mushkin Black 2133, iGPU (8760D)
    9.7L case (excluding 230mm fan) or 11.6L w/2nd rad fan

Xtreme Cruncher
    How about this one?
    Has 512 instead of 256 ( m0ar megabytes, although I have no clue what's the use of those) and it's pcie

That would work in your board, but it uses non-standard cables, probably designed for an HP SAS backplane.
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    and if I found the cables that belong to the card?
    I found a very tempting offer (includes cables, 512mb of ram and battery)

Are there cables available that go to standard SAS/SATA? If so then you'd be fine. I didn't look much but the ones I found only went to the HP backplane.
    The Cardboard Master

Xtreme Cruncher
    I think I have one of those SmartArray cards at work.
    I believe it's an SFF-8484 connector on the card. It should work if you can find a fanout cable. It would be the same one used with the PERC 5i.
    Keep in mind the cables ARE directional.

I'm almost always available on Steam to chat. Same username.

Xtreme Cruncher

Xtreme Addict
    PCI X is a 66mhz 64bit pci slot as oppose to the commonly found 33mhz 32bit pci slot. Most PCI X cards will work in a 33mhz 32bit pci slot, however at a much lower bandwidth, 133MB per second instead of the 532MB perseccond tha PCI X offers up.

Dont do it, go with a 3ware pci-e card instead
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump