Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sony reveals the PlayStation 4, priced at $399

Xtreme Mentor
    Region lock? All xboxs so far have had region lock, and all other things are a bit like well how us pc gaming has been with steam for years!

Think how buggy offline is for steam it's mostly pointless !

I think apart from price it's a moot point and the consoles are actually similar. I actually feel Xbox has the edge generally as it has much better (for me atleast) exclusives and that's where it matters.

I feel m-soft has tried to essentially add more features for the console where sonys seems more like a ps3.5 upgrade? It seems so... The same except more powerful that it actually disappointed me.

The ringing home I agree with above that maybe once a week is better, and I think lending should be for all friends. Used games I'm a massive fan of imposing restrictions on really due to it just meaning no money for developers from
    Cheap people.

People seem to just be jumping on the bandwagon which is a bit of a joke? Frustrating that people seem to ignore the benefits of what this can bring (deep discounts on games etc..) tbh due it being producers decision it'll be EA's decision and like that's it as most won't be bothered to code extra stuff into the game? But we shall see.

It's weird I think ill still go Xbox (?70 diff is nothing really)

(I'm Drunk sorry..)
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Well, at least Sony is trying to please their customers, unlike Microsoft, who is good at ignoring and pissing off their customers these days. But yet again, as long people will continue to purchase Microsoft's products, Microsoft will win.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    the thing i found really interesting is how similar the consoles look. i guess black and modern looking is what is winning, although PS2 was like that since day 1. i almost want to say xbox is copying the PS style.
    Maybe MS is hoping that enough consumers confused Xbox1 with PS4 that they accidentally buy 1
    --lapped Q9650 #L828A446 @ 4.608, 1.45V bios, 1.425V load.
    -- NH-D14 2x Delta AFB1212SHE push/pull and 110 cfm fan -- Coollaboratory Liquid PRO
    -- Gigabyte EP45-UD3P ( F10 ) - G.Skill 4x2Gb 9600 PI @ 1221 5-5-5-15, PL8, 2.1V
    - GTX 480 ( 875/1750/928)
    - HAF 932 - Antec TPQ 1200 -- Crucial C300 128Gb boot --
    Primary Monitor - Samsung T260

I am Xtreme
    for the region lock i have a question. how different would the price be for you Europeans to buy the ps4 from the US and pay the exchange rate and taxes, rather than paying locally in euros or pounds? i know theres massive uproar over some of the pricing in that region, but is it something you can work around?
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

I am Xtreme
    for the region lock i have a question. how different would the price be for you Europeans to buy the ps4 from the US and pay the exchange rate and taxes, rather than paying locally in euros or pounds? i know theres massive uproar over some of the pricing in that region, but is it something you can work around?
    Saves nothing for most of Europe. Since when you import you still have to pay vat (20% or more in most EU countries) and you have to pay for shipping. In the end you save absolutely nothing and wait longer for your games.

In case of the PS4, in my country you pay duty including to the vat, so here its 17% duty, 20% vat + shipping... if shipping would be free and you take a favorable exchange rate of 1,3:3 you still would pay ~540€

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Personally I would send the money to my family in LA/New York and get them to buy it and send it as a gift, or just buy one on my twice yearly visits back to the states. Buying it and shipping it then paying duties would actually make it 10-20% more expensive than buying in the UK.

I am Xtreme
    i guess that explains the complaints on prices

maybe the UK should get into the console wars

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by crash5s View Post
    The point is they aren't the sort of games that could do better on a PC, and many of them are Japan centric.... a nation that still has arcades and PC gaming is just for crappy dating/rape/pervert simulators and that's it. So even games you can get on the PC like Street Fighter, have the worst possible gamers in terms of skill and quality compared to the console because that's where the top Japanese players are and thus all players worth playing flock there.
    Oh please, just because some creepy games get a disproportionate amount of press attention doesn't mean a lot of people buy or play them, but then of course you can't get as many hits for a Japan so weird story if you mention that games like League of Legends, Minecraft, Team Fortress 2, WoW, Mario Kart and so on are way more popular than School Girl rape simulator 7.
    Point being, don't believe every story you read about Japan.

Xtreme Mentor
    The only downside for the PS4 i can think of is that you need a Playstation plus subscription to play games online.

But atleast PS+ offers some nice extras.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    The only downside for the PS4 i can think of is that you need a Playstation plus subscription to play games online.

But atleast PS+ offers some nice extras.
    A lot of PC games are charging for online gaming as well, but PS+ is not that expensive, just 5$ per month, even a 12 year old's pocket change can pay that. Most importantly is that they have some nice features as you said, and no extras for Netflix for example. It will work out I think, I would not mind paying a bit for extra security and better service than the free PSN version.
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't like the way it keeps emphasizing "disc based games"... does that mean there will be limited amounts of games you can buy on disc? do the downloaded games require any of the checking in? the xbox has too much baggage to consider buying... but is sony just giving half truths? is there a list of games that will come out on disc?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by rozzyroz View Post
    I don't like the way it keeps emphasizing "disc based games"... does that mean there will be limited amounts of games you can buy on disc? do the downloaded games require any of the checking in? the xbox has too much baggage to consider buying... but is sony just giving half truths? is there a list of games that will come out on disc?
    because its easier to hand your friend a disc than it is to hand them a file

the digital downloads i hope end up being cheaper because they will not have all those features like trade in or sharing. or i hope they have some nice sharing features (like being able to use streaming and let them join your game remotely even though they do not own it)

I am Xtreme
    because its easier to hand your friend a disc than it is to hand them a file
    Not if your friend is on the other side of the country, or the globe. :-)
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

I am Xtreme

the digital downloads i hope end up being cheaper...

only in bizarro world

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post

only in bizarro world
    nice,
    sales however might make digital much more worthwhile.
    its a new console, maybe with new sales strategies

Xtreme Addict
    nice,
    sales however might make digital much more worthwhile.
    its a new console, maybe with new sales strategies
    I hope you are right and digital sales get cheaper.
    Right now it's cheaper for me to buy the disc in the UK from Amazon (free shipping) than the digital game from Steam, even after currency exchange.

It would be cheaper yet if I could buy games from Amazon.com, but they don't sell games to EU customers.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    The nintendo presentation showed more madness than the xbox one.

They were bragging about innovation but showed basically just another:

mario platformer akin to new super mario bros(multiplayer),
    Multiplayer platforming has rarely been done and the few games that exist are so obscure they aren't worth mentioning if almost noone has heard of them. By virtue of lack of customer awareness Nintendo is offering something innovative here.

a new mario cart,
    Which now allows racing between air and ground vehicles which hasn't been attempted before. They also implemented a totally new track design that allows players to use an alternative ways traverse terrain completely inaccesible without being in the correct vehicle mode. It's been a long time since racing games offered that second feature.

donkey kong and super smash bros.
    *Shrugs*Fighting games in the form of Smash style combat have been non-existent until last year so I don't see what the big deal is on delivering a new iteration with better graphics and revised game mechanics since choices are so limited. That said, your point stands that these two aren't innovative.

a HD release of wind waker.
    You are correct about this one.

The graphics in all the demos looked like wii graphics.
    The art direction looks the same but the graphics certainly don't (exception being Super Mario 3D Land).

You can't get the draw distances of the untitled open world JRPG you conveniently ignored.

The originally Wii would choke on the fur renders in Donkey Kong.

Mario Kart and Smash don't have any standout features but they are noticeable step up over the Wii.

Then there is Bayonetta and Sonic Lost World. These aren't Nintendo developed titles but they moneyhatted the developers to make these games and are exclusive to this console. Sonic Lost World does a ton of things that innovate on its unique brand of platforming while still being good looking in a way that's not possible on the vanilla Wii. Bayonetta does the same for 3rd person brawling.

Completely lazy and everything lacked excitement.

That's more a fault of ustream being than anything else. I was enjoying various demos and trailers a lot more when viewing them on youtube later on.

The rest of the blame lies with you not being interested in any of the games which is fine but there were some games to be excited about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12