Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony reveals the PlayStation 4, priced at $399

Xtreme Mentor

Sony reveals the PlayStation 4, priced at $399

"Back in February, Sony officially announced the next generation PlayStation 4 console but stopped just short of showing us what it actually looks like. Now at E3, the wraps have finally come off the design and here it is, the PlayStation 4 in all it?s matte black and angular glory"

http://blog.gsmarena.com/sony-reveal...priced-at-399/

Good enough design, better pricing than Xbox, better policies than Xbox, better GPU than Xbox, better over all package.

We all know who will win this fight dont we.
    Coming Soon

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post

We all know who will win this fight dont we.
    PC, with so many multiplats and so few exclusives that there is next to no reason to buy any of the consoles.

Xtreme Mentor
    No halo = I get Xbox
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    PC, with so many multiplats and so few exclusives that there is next to no reason to buy any of the consoles.
    First MGS , then RDR and now The Last of Us - I miss them all.
    Va fail, dh'oine.

"I am going to hunt down people who have strong opinions on subjects they dont understand " - Dogbert

Always rooting for the underdog ...

Xtreme Member
    Also PS4 = not region locked. Xbox One = region locked. If I were to want to buy a console it would be PS4. But I got only so much time to play, so PC covers all my needs.
    Asus Z87 Deluxe, 4770K,Noctua NH-D14, Crucial 16 GB DDR3-1600, Geforce Titan, ASUS DRW-24B3ST, Crucial M500 960GB, Crucial M4 256GB, 3 X Seagate 4TB, Lamptron FC5 V2 Fancontroller, Noctua Casefans, Antec P183 Black, Asus Essence STX, Corsair AX860i, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, Win7 Home Pro 64 bit + Win 8.1 Home 64 bit Dual boot, ASUS VG278H

Xtreme Enthusiast
    PS4 is simply faster by a decent margin and even the architectures are extremely similar, if i had to get a console it would certainly be the PS4 over the One. Plus, I hear that the One is $500?
    i7 920@4.34 | Rampage II GENE | 6GB OCZ Reaper 1866 | 8800GT (zzz) | Corsair AX750 | Xonar Essence ST w/ 3x LME49720 | HiFiMAN EF2 Amplifier | Shure SRH840 | EK Supreme HF | Thermochill PA 120.3 | MCP355 | XSPC Reservoir | 3/8" ID Tubing

Phenom 9950BE @ 3400/2000 (CPU/NB) | Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H | HD4850 | 4GB Corsair DHX @850 | Corsair TX650W | T.R.U.E Push-Pull

E2160 @3.06 | ASUS P5K-Pro | BFG 8800GT | 4GB G.Skill @ 1040 | 600W Tt PP

A64 3000+ @2.87 | DFI-NF4 | 7800 GTX | Patriot 1GB DDR @610 | 550W FSP

I am Xtreme

Cheaper (399 vs 499), faster, no issues with game sharing and "calling home"... Clear win. Microsoft really needs a reality check. First Windows 8, now this...

Also, PS3 has a lot more exclusives than 360. If trend continues then it's another stab in the back of XB1.
    Last edited by zalbard; 06-11-2013 at 06:34 AM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    this is awesome.... even though i cant stand $ony, they are just whooping up on M$

i was about to share that video there on how to share PS4 games but you beat me to it...

this sucks too, cuz i prefer xbox, but PS4 is just taking over

Xtreme Mentor

Cheaper (399 vs 499), faster, no issues with game sharing and "calling home"... Clear win.
    Exactly, i can see no reason to buy a Xbox1 tbh.
    And like Nossy23 says, the PS4 isnt region locked and the Xbox is.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

Xtreme Mentor

Xtreme Addict

Cheaper (399 vs 499), faster, no issues with game sharing and "calling home"... Clear win. Microsoft really needs a reality check. First Windows 8, now this...

Also, PS3 has a lot more exclusives than 360. If trend continues then it's another stab in the back of XB1.
    I am mainly a PC gamer so I don't really have a preference here (though new Xbox Release = New PC Controller which is awesome) but all these complaints I'm reading about the Xbox One baffle me.

I can see people complaining about the once every 24hrs thing, I personally would of guest once every week or so to allow for minimal to no downtime in the case of network outages in more rural areas. But everything else is pretty much describing what PC gaming is has been like for years. We haven't needed discs since the 90's to play, it was one of the things I hated most about consoles, especially after they added Hard Drives to them and STILL required the discs.

Also are people really complaining that it looks like a black aluminum Lian Li instead of a cheep plastic NZXT computer case?

Lets just hope that since their both x86 based now that we will see more PC releases since there wont be much to "port" aside from mouse/keyboard support.
    Last edited by Zaskar; 06-11-2013 at 08:21 AM.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel i7 965
    Corsair Dominator 1600mhz 3x2gb
    Nvidia GTX 295

Xtreme Addict
    Is it me or do both cases look sooooo much alike?
    In any way, good thing that Sony is in for supporting the user rather than the platform. Let's hope it lasts the entire lifetime of the console rather than what happened with Linux/backward compatibility on PS3.
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Addict
    The nintendo presentation showed more madness than the xbox one.

They were bragging about innovation but showed basically just another mario platformer akin to new super mario bros(multiplayer), a new mario cart, donkey kong and super smash bros. And a HD release of wind waker. The graphics in all the demos looked like wii graphics. Completely lazy and everything lacked excitement.

To give you how little they had to talk about, they added megaman to super smash bros and this took up 2 minutes out of a 40 minute presentation.

No price drops and old franchises galore. This supreme arrogance is ridiculous.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Member
    They forgot: PS4 = no region lock Xbox One = region lock!
    Asus Z87 Deluxe, 4770K,Noctua NH-D14, Crucial 16 GB DDR3-1600, Geforce Titan, ASUS DRW-24B3ST, Crucial M500 960GB, Crucial M4 256GB, 3 X Seagate 4TB, Lamptron FC5 V2 Fancontroller, Noctua Casefans, Antec P183 Black, Asus Essence STX, Corsair AX860i, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, Win7 Home Pro 64 bit + Win 8.1 Home 64 bit Dual boot, ASUS VG278H

I am Xtreme
    the thing i found really interesting is how similar the consoles look. i guess black and modern looking is what is winning, although PS2 was like that since day 1. i almost want to say xbox is copying the PS style.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    Ehhh a good portion of my favorite games for the last generation were console specific. They also tended to be much higher quality than the multi-platform games and PC exclusives. If I had to pick one gaming platform and could only have one from last generation well... PS3 > Wii > 3DS > PC > 360... and it's a stretch to say I'd prefer the PC to the 360, there were a lot of games for the 360 I couldn't get for the PC.

PC makes sense if all you want is generic shooters, rpgs, and action games that come out for everything. Or you really like say MMO's or RTS games. Outside of that though the consoles tend to get better stuff. And if you really care about fighting games, JRPGs, shmups, the PC is just a horrible platform in general.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme Cruncher
    TCs link takes me to a page that says "You are banned.".........
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    The nintendo presentation showed more madness than the xbox one.

They were bragging about innovation but showed basically just another mario platformer akin to new super mario bros(multiplayer), a new mario cart, donkey kong and super smash bros. And a HD release of wind waker. The graphics in all the demos looked like wii graphics. Completely lazy and everything lacked excitement.

To give you how little they had to talk about, they added megaman to super smash bros and this took up 2 minutes out of a 40 minute presentation.

No price drops and old franchises galore. This supreme arrogance is ridiculous.
    I agree. The Nintendo press conference was just sad. They have zero developer support right now.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    I agree. The Nintendo press conference was just sad. They have zero developer support right now.
    I still love Donkey Kong, Mario and Zelda though lol, The only reason I will buy a Wii U.
    My System

Core i7 970 @ 4.0Ghz
    Asus P6X58D Mobo
    6GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 Memory
    1000watt Corsair PSU
    Windows 7 64bit
    EVGA GTX 670 SC 4GB

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crash5s View Post
    Ehhh a good portion of my favorite games for the last generation were console specific. They also tended to be much higher quality than the multi-platform games and PC exclusives. If I had to pick one gaming platform and could only have one from last generation well... PS3 > Wii > 3DS > PC > 360... and it's a stretch to say I'd prefer the PC to the 360, there were a lot of games for the 360 I couldn't get for the PC.

PC makes sense if all you want is generic shooters, rpgs, and action games that come out for everything. Or you really like say MMO's or RTS games. Outside of that though the consoles tend to get better stuff. And if you really care about fighting games, JRPGs, shmups, the PC is just a horrible platform in general.
    Wow, well I have a Wii, DS and PC. I would give it the following order: PC>DS>Wii. I played on Xbox 360 and it had crappy graphics and playing fps with a gamepad is just stupid. PC is also a lot more involving. E.g. In BF3 you can play with a lot more players online at the same time. I do like to play a beat them up or race game or platform game on console. But for all the rest I prefer PC. PS has more variaty. I play AA games, Indie games, arcade emulators and console emulators etc Hell I am playing my Wii games that I have for my console on PC in higher res and with a higher framerate! There is no other platform out there that covers all of this.

Btw with PS4 and Xbox360 now being more or less PC's if you look at the HW, I'm wondering how long it will take before some of those exclusive games get hacked to run on PC?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by nossy23 View Post
    Wow, well I have a Wii, DS and PC. I would give it the following order: PC>DS>Wii. I played on Xbox 360 and it had crappy graphics and playing fps with a gamepad is just stupid. PC is also a lot more involving. E.g. In BF3 you can play with a lot more players online at the same time. I do like to play a beat them up or race game or platform game on console. But for all the rest I prefer PC. PS has more variaty. I play AA games, Indie games, arcade emulators and console emulators etc Hell I am playing my Wii games that I have for my console on PC in higher res and with a higher framerate! There is no other platform out there that covers all of this.

Btw with PS4 and Xbox360 now being more or less PC's if you look at the HW, I'm wondering how long it will take before some of those exclusive games get hacked to run on PC?
    That's fine, you like FPS games. Here's the thing, I don't. I liked old school UT and Quake. New FPS games like BF3, COD, I just can't stand them. I don't find them entertaining at all. I find the multi player boring as crap and the single player even worse. Games like Bioshock or FEAR, I don't really like them either. In fact I think ever since games budgets ballooned because graphics got so high level those games all went to hell in a handbasket. When it comes to RPGs I'll give you another hint, I think Skyrim and Fallout 3 are utter trash as well. They're just bad games. I don't really like them, and I think it's another case where the focus went to graphics and simulation/story rather than the game.

In fact I firmly stand by that as graphics get better gameplay generally get's worse. If you ever hear the words "immersion", "movie like experience", or "real life graphics" those are all slang for "and the game play is horrible".

My favorite games for the PS3 were Valkyria Chronicles, the PSN Double Dragon, the PSN Contra, Blazblue (various versions), MVC3, Catherine, God of War, Metal Gear Rising, Persona Arena, Disgaea, I could go on. The point is they aren't the sort of games that could do better on a PC, and many of them are Japan centric.... a nation that still has arcades and PC gaming is just for crappy dating/rape/pervert simulators and that's it. So even games you can get on the PC like Street Fighter, have the worst possible gamers in terms of skill and quality compared to the console because that's where the top Japanese players are and thus all players worth playing flock there.

For the Wii, No More Heroes, Muramasa, The Last Story, Xenoblade, Mad World, Sin and Punishment 2 are all non Nintendo games I loved. They're all top notch and not at all the sort of stuff you expected on the Wii. I like some of the Nintendo games as well, but those were my favorites.

For multi-platform games.... eh the only one I really liked was Deus-EX, and yeah I got that for the PC. I also liked Witcher 2, Wrath of the Ninja, Diablo 3, and Star Craft 2 for PC exclusives. It's just that all in all, I liked the console specific ones better, and there were more of them. I've enjoyed the new Mech Warrior though.

What' I'm really looking forward to is this http://www.atlus.com/dragonscrown/

It's really a question of taste in gaming and what you like. But if you get out of the box of generic multi-platform FPS and western RPGs, there's a lot of really good stuff on console that doesn't make it to the PC. And if your favorite multi-players are fighters, many don't make it to the PC, and for those that do the competition just isn't there.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LightSpeed View Post
    if i had to get a console it would certainly be the PS4 over the One. Plus, I hear that the One is $500?
    Hehe yep, Microsoft think they can get away with charging $499 for the One.. although to be fair it does include Kinect while Sony will charge extra for Move.
    However I think thats actually a win for Sony that they don't include move, because it should help keep dev support for that motion crap at a minimum, so they have to make move less intrusive than what Microsoft is going for with Kinect.

Quote Originally Posted by naokaji View Post
    Hehe yep, Microsoft think they can get away with charging $499 for the One.. although to be fair it does include Kinect while Sony will charge extra for Move.
    However I think thats actually a win for Sony that they don't include move, because it should help keep dev support for that motion crap at a minimum, so they have to make move less intrusive than what Microsoft is going for with Kinect.
    Move is now technically included in each controller, is the "light" between the triggers in the back of the controller, what's not included is the camera that cost $59, and of course you also have the touchpad in the top of the controller and a little speaker in the controller, that are "new".

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by naokaji View Post
    forcing the kinect as part of the xb1 is them trying to be the next wii, which was the only successful non typical controller based console. with a kinect on every console they know they can use it. but thats the end of it. most users dont care about the kinect and just see it as a cost. if the xb1 was 350$ it would have been a very interesting battle.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by crash5s View Post
    PC makes sense if all you want is generic shooters, rpgs, and action games that come out for everything. Or you really like say MMO's or RTS games. Outside of that though the consoles tend to get better stuff.
    Oh boy here we go...

I think you forgot following genres which pc is the better (only) choice.
    Racing (hur durb in b4 forza/gran turismo i am talking about real racing simulations not that semi sim/acarde style like those 2)
    Adventure games
    Simulations (beside racing)
    and of course strategy games

only the two categories of simulations and strategy games have a huge number of sub genres (builder, construction, management, RTT, 4x) which all have huge name in them (CiV, Sims etc.)

Consoles have its own strong genres, but reducing pc to rpg/fps only... well yeah talk about sterotyp

Quote Originally Posted by crash5s
    But if you get out of the box of generic multi-platform FPS and western RPGs, there's a lot of really good stuff on console that doesn't make it to the PC. And if your favorite multi-players are fighters, many don't make it to the PC, and for those that do the competition just isn't there.

My favorite games for the PS3 were Valkyria Chronicles, the PSN Double Dragon, the PSN Contra, Blazblue (various versions), MVC3, Catherine, God of War, Metal Gear Rising, Persona Arena, Disgaea, I could go on. The point is they aren't the sort of games that could do better on a PC, and many of them are Japan centric.... a nation that still has arcades and PC gaming is just for crappy dating/rape/pervert simulators and that's it. So even games you can get on the PC like Street Fighter, have the worst possible gamers in terms of skill and quality compared to the console because that's where the top Japanese players are and thus all players worth playing flock there.
    Ah yes now it makes sense. I think you should make use of your own advice, look above. Also good thing games like DS and MGR never came out for PC.. oh wait, seems like japan begins to recognize that pc gaming is a huge market that might be worth it explore. Then again Japanese being Japanese and don't give a f*** up any market outside of japan. And the last sentence..

Man, after reading your posts they all have the undertone of someone who regularly visits neogaf...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast