Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apple introduces new Workstation, iTunes Radio, updates Macbook Air, OSX, iOS 7

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clo007 View Post
    This Mac Pro is god awful! The idea of Mac pro's is brute horsepower, not style. No video editor/render/music composer gives two s to the wind about the style. And like eX stated, I bet this thing is going to be extremely difficult to upgrade at all.

This thing is a big face-palm!
    I actually work in pro-audio and I think it's a bit more nuanced. Anyone with the funds will be willing to buy it because it looks cool and is very powerful. Anyone that needs a lot of flexibility without paying through the nose won't.

Personally I invested in a pro ADA converter about a decade ago and it's a PCI card. Cost me about $850. Next year I can still buy a Windows machine with a mobo with a PCI slot for it and it'll last me another 3-5 years. That's quite the longevity. People who invest in the Macs for my type of work either pay more because they like the flair or don't know any better, or they run businesses where costs like this ultimately don't matter that much.

I think the whole thing is hilarious. Looks like a fricking garbage can.
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiasNYC View Post
    People who invest in the Macs for my type of work either pay more because they like the flair or don't know any better, or they run businesses where costs like this ultimately don't matter that much.
    Another reason would be proprietary software only written for the Mac/Apple. Some scientific instrument software and analysis software that I have used was not available on the PC until recently. That didn't bother me because I actually liked the mature OS X and Mac Pro workstation performance. I just would never pay for a Mac Pro workstation for personal use unless I won the lottery.
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo197 View Post
    Another reason would be proprietary software only written for the Mac/Apple. Some scientific instrument software and analysis software that I have used was not available on the PC until recently. That didn't bother me because I actually liked the mature OS X and Mac Pro workstation performance. I just would never pay for a Mac Pro workstation for personal use unless I won the lottery.
    Well those are two good points. Apple is rumored to be tweaking their own software for the two GPUs and OpenCL. So if they manage to get Final Cut and Logic to use that processing power they'll have a quite convincing case. Still though, quite expensive, and those without the means certainly would prefer to roll their own hackintosh instead. Which makes me wonder if that will be as easy with the upcoming versions of OSX.

I'm happy I never spent my own money on Apple.
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12