Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retail Versions of Intel Core i ?Haswell? Are ?Hotter and Slower? Than Expected

Xtreme Mentor

Retail Versions of Intel Core i ?Haswell? Are ?Hotter and Slower? Than Expected

"Although Intel Core i-series ?Haswell? microprocessors have a number of advantages over predecessors when it comes to overclocking, retail versions of the chips are not as good overclockers as pre-production versions of the chip. According to manufacturers of factory overclocked PCs, commercial versions of Intel Core i7-4770K cannot remain stable at speeds achievable by samples of the product. Intel admits: overclocking results are not guaranteed.""

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...ed_Report.html

haha told you ppl

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post5191357

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post5191376

If u dont get it more power consumption = more heat
    Last edited by ajaidev; 06-07-2013 at 09:42 AM.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Interesting. Just picked up the 4770k at microcenter yesterday and waiting for my mobo to get here. Either way we're going to hook it up to the Swiftech H220 and see how it goes. Will post with batch # soon.
    New rig: INWIN D-Frame, i7 4770k @ 4.7 Ghz/1.38V, Swiftech H220, MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming, Team Vulcan DDR3 1600, 9-9-9-24, Samsung 840 pro 256GB, EVGA GTX 780, Corsair 850W
    Old rig:Antec 900/GIGABYTE GA-X38T-DQ6
    E6750 @ 3.5 GHz/Thermalright 120 extreme/MX2
    CORSAIR Vengance 8GB
    PNY 8800GT/Thermalright HR-03 GT

Old, old rig: FX-53/GIGABYTE K8NSNXP-939 nForce3 Ultra/1GB CORSAIR 3200XLPRO
    X800XTPE/WD 74GB Raptor/250GB Caviar

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    If u dont get it more power consumption = more heat
    This "formula" is completely wrong. RTFM

Xtreme Addict
    Not sure I believe it. Curious to see some input from those with retail chips.
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

Xtreme Cruncher
    We need a bigger sample of CPUs (from retail) to say for sure this is the case .

Xtreme Legend
    Intel most likely picked parts with lower leakage properties as ES parts to be sent to the partners and "special persons".
    Even Intel's superior 22nm process has variations in leakage between the different parts.

This is not a big deal really as everyone does it.
    Actually it is a very sensible thing to do, while making any conclusions based on ES parts is not

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think it might be true...i know 3-4 examples of retail bought in different countrys..... 5ghz 1.5v just to boot, 1 cpu couldn't boot at 5ghz on air.
    Usually at lauch there were pretty good chips , more good than average.
    Sandy Bridge launch, Ivy Bridge launch.
    Haswell is seems that there few chips that can do 4.5-4.6ghz stable 24/7. Many 4.3-4.4ghz.
    Last edited by xdan; 06-07-2013 at 11:13 AM.
    i5 2500K@ 4.5Ghz
    Asrock P67 PRO3

P55 PRO & i5 750
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=966385
    239 BCKL validation on cold air
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=966536
    Almost 5hgz , air.

Xtreme Member
    I'm currently testing a 4.6ghz overclock at 1.325v. At 1.3v it was almost completely stable with temps hitting 78c at it's hottest core. Ran 2 hours of Prime 95 and played 2 hours of COD Black Ops 2 just fine. Then BSOD over night. So I bumped up the vcore just a little and doing some more testing. So far it's much better than my 3770K I had. My specs are in my sig.
    Home PC: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.6ghz l Asus Maximus VI Hero l Corsair Dominator Plantinum 2400mhz (4x4GB) l Asus GTX 690 l Samsung 840 Pro 256gb l 2 x WD Black 1T storage drive l WD MyBook 500gb External l Samsung SH-S203N DVD l Creative X-Fi Titanium HD l Corsair AX1200 PSU l Planar SA2311W23 3D LCD Monitor l Corsair 800D Case l Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit l Sennheiser HD-590

Water Cooling Setup: Swiftech 320 Radiator (3 X Gentle Typhoons 1450rpm 3 x Gentle Typhoons 1850 rpm) l Swiftech Pump w/XSPC Res Top l Heatkiller 3.0 CPU Block l Heatkiller GPU-X GTX 690 "Hole Edition" Nickel l Heatkiller Geforce GTX 690 GPU Backplate l Koolance 140mm Radiator l Danger Den 1/2ID UV Green tubing l EK EKoolant UV Green Liquid

-Impossible is not a word

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kl0012 View Post
    Wtf u smoking. Ofc more power consumption = more output heat when talking about microprocessors. Or do you think that used power somehow vanishes in thin air?

I'm tired of seeing this. A CPU does not emit meaningful amounts of EM energy (radio, visible light, etc) nor does it emit sound or move. Virtually all power consumed by the processor is converted into heat energy. More power = more heat. Heat isn't the same thing as temperature (heat is volume, temperature is density), however, so perhaps that is where the confusion lies.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Mentor
    Its correct mostly

P=CV2f

Some notes on it from Intel

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blog...o-obvious-pt-1

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blog...obvious-pt-2-2

You can treat the notes as manual.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post
    Intel most likely picked parts with lower leakage properties as ES parts to be sent to the partners and "special persons".
    Even Intel's superior 22nm process has variations in leakage between the different parts.

This is not a big deal really as everyone does it.
    Actually it is a very sensible thing to do, while making any conclusions based on ES parts is not
    Higher leakage = better overclocks if you have ample cooling.
    Most reviews seem to have the "highend" closed loop watercooling products to overclock with.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    Higher leakage = better overclocks if you have ample cooling.
    Yes and no.
    In many cases this is true, however a close loop watercooling is not something I would call "ample".
    The leakage decreases along with the temperature, however the real drop happens in temperatures well below zero.

If high leakage properties in semiconductors would be something desireable why are the manufacturers spending millions to fight against it?

Xtreme Addict
    Yes and no.
    In many cases this is true, however a close loop watercooling is not something I would call "ample".
    The leakage decreases along with the temperature, however the real drop happens in temperatures well below zero.

If high leakage properties in semiconductors would be something desireable why are the manufacturers spending millions to fight against it?
    I understand all that.
    A highend closed loop is going to be quite a bit better than the stock cooler that reviewers used to overclock with or even the old highend aircoolers.

Because high leakage causes high power consumption, as I'm sure you know, which doesn't fit with companies trying to hit specific TDPs.
    So it isn't desirable when you are trying to bin tens of thousands of high leakage chips but on the flip side, it is highly desirable for overclockers.
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Legend
    Leakage does not raise the power consumption directly.

E.G.

TDP = 100W

Rated Core VDD (low leak): 1.30000V -> IDD = 76.92A
    Rated Core VDD (high leak): 1.22500V -> IDD = 81.63A

Parts with high leakage properties run hotter and the heat will increase the leakage even further.
    Until a certain point it is manageable but the "mad mans loop" is still present from the very beginning.
    This is exactly the reason why high leakage parts generally do better under extreme cooling.
    High leakage parts are considered as lower quality parts, not higher.

Xtreme Addict
    For non LN2 OC is it that big of a deal if it can only hit 4.5Ghz?...

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Addict
    Could be hotter due to on chip additional circuitry that was previously on board and better gpu.

The two retail ivy chips I tried did 4.5 - 4.6 at "24x7" clocks and volts a 5Ghz Haswell would be a nice step up, ~10% improved OC and another 5% from IPC improvements.

Has anyone started an OC thread on the 4770k? I would like to add my two bits in, when I get my motherboard next week. If we can get a broad sampling of retail, it would shed light.
    4770k w/ Phoybia HeGrease
    Swiftech H220
    Asus Maximus VI Hero
    Samsung 840 Pro 256gb
    EVGA gtx 780 SC ACX in SLI
    Asus Xonar Essence STX
    Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2400 C10
    Silverstone TJ-09
    Corsair ax1200
    Corsair M65 and K90
    Audiotechnica A900
    Dell u2711

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DaKon View Post
    Has anyone started an OC thread on the 4770k? I would like to add my two bits in, when I get my motherboard next week. If we can get a broad sampling of retail, it would shed light.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...nd-o-c-results
    New rig: INWIN D-Frame, i7 4770k @ 4.7 Ghz/1.38V, Swiftech H220, MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming, Team Vulcan DDR3 1600, 9-9-9-24, Samsung 840 pro 256GB, EVGA GTX 780, Corsair 850W
    Old rig:Antec 900/GIGABYTE GA-X38T-DQ6
    E6750 @ 3.5 GHz/Thermalright 120 extreme/MX2
    CORSAIR Vengance 8GB
    PNY 8800GT/Thermalright HR-03 GT

Old, old rig: FX-53/GIGABYTE K8NSNXP-939 nForce3 Ultra/1GB CORSAIR 3200XLPRO
    X800XTPE/WD 74GB Raptor/250GB Caviar

Xtreme Addict

E.G.

TDP = 100W

Parts with high leakage properties run hotter and the heat will increase the leakage even further.
    Until a certain point it is manageable but the "mad mans loop" is still present from the very beginning.
    This is exactly the reason why high leakage parts generally do better under extreme cooling.
    We will just have to agree to disagree then.

Xtreme Addict
    Haswell seems to consume less power but run hotter, so it is less likely to be purely leakage, and more of a power density issue. Lower power consumption/leakage parts will run cooler but still be comparatively warm. Parts running hot is not a problem as long as they run within specs and Haswell absolutely does.

You also need to factor in that Intel is currently binning the lowest leakage parts for the performance notebook market, so it is inevitable that the higher leakage product will be sold as desktop parts, and most likely to be sold in trays to OEMs that are less likely to overclock beyond rated specs. Those expecting more than they paid for really have no-one to blame but themselves for their disappointment.

It would be interesting to see how retail packaged chips that you and I can buy compare to the tray CPU's the boutique builders are complaining about - this comparison may show the thread title to be misleading.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by onewingedangel View Post
    Those expecting more than they paid for really have no-one to blame but themselves for their disappointment.
    Thats pretty much the key phrase here. Intel has no obligation to provide anything on there products that are out of there set specification.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    I understand all that.
    A highend closed loop is going to be quite a bit better than the stock cooler that reviewers used to overclock with or even the old highend aircoolers.

Because high leakage causes high power consumption, as I'm sure you know, which doesn't fit with companies trying to hit specific TDPs.
    So it isn't desirable when you are trying to bin tens of thousands of high leakage chips but on the flip side, it is highly desirable for overclockers.
    That's not right. As long as you are not going too cold high leakage will always be worst. As a matter of fact leakage = bad. That's why hardware manufacturers have developed a handful of ways to reduce leakage.

Leakage changes with both voltage and temperature, it increases/decreases with both. You can see this paper about it.

See more explanations below.

E.G.

TDP = 100W

More leakage means more power consumption, if you want to have X current from the Source to the Drain if say 10% of that current leaks, undesirably, thru the gate you have to feed the FET with ~X+10% . This is an extreme case only to be used as an example, leakage currents are much smaller in reality.

Why is Leakage bad ? Well for starters it will make your chip run hotter, on the other side with the rise of leakage you will, ultimately, destroy your semi-conductor. It can also be a cause for error due to insufficient current going thru the normal path, given a high amount is leaking thru the gate.

So why do extreme overclockers prefer high leakage chips ?

Well this isn't always true, IB prove this, when the best chips in cold were the ones doing 5GHz with ~1.2v and lower on air, so chips with low leakage. Well when you use LN2 two things happen, first you boost electric conductivity thus making signals move faster in the conductors, this is one cause for X frequency not being stable, signals take too long to propagate along the chip and some inconsistencies happen causing chip failure. On another hand you can use voltage to mitigate this, but you will increase temperature, yada yada. Moving along, so LN2 helps your overclock by enhancing your chip conductivity.
    Moreover by reducing its temperature you will also reduce leakage currents thus reducing failure due to high leakage.

I appear to be making the case agains my argument, but wait this is the punch line. Some chips will require a minimal amount of leakage to work, this is due to their design, so if you go to low they won't work, welcome to cold bug !! So this is the overclockers world balance, where you want to go as cold as possible to maximize conductivity, but you don't want to go so low that you won't have any leakage at all.

This is why high leakage chips do well in LN2, they don't have problems of getting the leakage current too low to the point hey will malfunction or not function at all but they end up really small due to the -180?C , and they have their thermal conductivity way up top !

Hope I was able to write an understandable text
    Last edited by st0ned; 06-08-2013 at 02:09 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    No, that IS the formula.
    As for this generation of CPUs I'll skip again, I just suggest it for new buyers.
    TRUE Lapped - Intel Core i7 2600k 4,7Ghz - ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - Nvidia GTX 1080 FE - 16Gb Crucial 2133 Mhz CL9 1,51v - Crucial M4 256Gb - Crucial MX300 1050Gb - Corsair AX850 - Fractal Define R3

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanical Man View Post
    Wtf u smoking. Ofc more power consumption = more output heat when talking about microprocessors. Or do you think that used power somehow vanishes in thin air?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat

In physics and chemistry, heat is energy transferred from one body to another by thermal interactions.

Basicaly it says that heat is function of thermal interface.

Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    Its correct mostly

P=CV2f

Some notes on it from Intel

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blog...o-obvious-pt-1

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blog...obvious-pt-2-2

You can treat the notes as manual.
    Although I see word "heat" there it has nothing to do with "power consumption = more heat"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast