Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS Z87 Motherboards - Overview, Guides and Official Support

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    The adaptive voltage and AVX instructions are the issue. I've told people if they are going to run AVX stress utilities NOT to use adaptive mode The CPU will just throttle down as the temp breaches anyway. You can set UEFI to manual mode and the VID wil just copy over to a manual VID.
    This isn't just torture utilities though. I've been using an MP4 encoder to test real world usage/stress (actually encoding some video, not torture testing), and that's AVX enabled. I'm pretty sure people will be using AVX in the real world. For instance, it's used in the GRID 2 game that came free with my Haswell CPU.

Let me make the rest clearer. It seems we have crossed wires here:

1) After you run 4-way, the settings it determines will write back to UEFI.

2) If you want to change anything AFTER 4-way, do it in UEFI, NOT in AI Suite III. Manual changes in AI Suite III by you do not write back to UEFI. Only the 4-way portion does. I think that is the part that has you confused.

-Raja
    Okay, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me as to why AI Suite will not allow manual changes to be saved between boot sessions, but if that's how it works, at least I can understand what is going on and make changes in the UEFI instead. Thanks for taking the time to explain that to me, I appreciate you clearing that up.

Maybe AI Suite could be made more clear that 4-Way testing is saved to UEFI, and subsequent manual changes in AI Suite are not? It's confusing because some parts of AI Suite (such as the fan profiles) are loaded between boot sessions, but others (like the TPU) are not.

It also seems to me that this new 1205 UEFI with changes to enhance stability have simply given a lesser overclock and a more aggressive adaptive OC voltage. That might help people who have poor Haswell chips, but for people like me with good, fast clockers, it's worse than with the 1007 UEFI, at least under the 4-Way optimisation.
    Last edited by Pants-Of-Fire; 07-08-2013 at 04:32 AM.
    Intel i7 4770K @ 4.8 Ghz
    NH-U14S with NF-A15
    Asus Z87-PRO
    TeamGroup Xtreem LV 16GB 2400MHz
    Powercolor AMD 6950 2GB Unlocked
    Corsair TX750M
    Antec 302
    Benq E2200HD
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 SATA 2TB x2
    LiteOn iHAS524-32 A
    Noctua NF-A14 FLX

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pants-Of-Fire View Post
    This isn't just torture utilities though. I've been using an MP4 encoder to test real world usage/stress, and that's AVX enabled. I'm pretty sure people will be using AVX in the real world. For instance, it's used in the GRID 2 game that came free with my CPU.

Software, simply being AVX enabled does not ramp the VID as the heavy stress test utilities do. I had one user test Grid and he did not see the ramp at all. It seems very much load dependant. Not sure on your encoder, if you have checked then just set to a manual VID. That is why i said "AVX stress tests" and NOT AVX software. You are welcome to check of course and decide on what works better for you.

FWIW the VID ramp under "HEAVY" AVX loads is something programmed by Intel, not us. There is nothing we can do about that.

I will finish by saying just use 4-way as a staring point and make UEFI changes as you deem important for your system and usage scenario. We can't account for every CPU out there, so you can tune manually as needed.
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 07-08-2013 at 04:53 AM.
    ASUS North America Technical Marketing - If you are based outside North America and require technical assistance or have a query please contact ASUS Support for your region.

Rampage IV Extreme tweaking guide

ASUS Z77 UEFI Tuning Guide for overclocking

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Maximus VI Series UEFI OC Guide

I will finish by saying just use 4-way as a staring point and make UEFI changes as you deem important for your system and usage scenario. We can't account for every CPU out there, so you can tune manually as needed.
    Yes, just I was hoping to do it in a nice program running in the same environment I was testing in, without having to reboot back and forth into the UEFI. It seems a bit of a waste to have this nice AI Suite for tuning, and then have to dig around in the UEFI to find all the equivalent settings you need to change once you've found your requirements - some of them are much harder to locate in the UEFI than in the AI Suite. It doubles the work, and it would be nice to have a "Commit Settings to UEFI" in AI Suite.
    Intel i7 4770K @ 4.8 Ghz
    NH-U14S with NF-A15
    Asus Z87-PRO
    Corsair TX750M
    Antec 302
    Benq E2200HD
    LiteOn iHAS524-32 A
    Noctua NF-A14 FLX

Xtreme X.I.P.
    That has been fed-back before. Don't think it will be added as it adds another layer of complexity that our guys dont want to get into right now.

There isn't much one needs to adjust for 24/7 OC anyways, so it's quite easy to do in UEFI.
    ASUS North America Technical Marketing - If you are based outside North America and require technical assistance or have a query please contact ASUS Support for your region.

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yes, just I was hoping to do it in a nice program running in the same environment I was testing in, without having to reboot back and forth into the UEFI. It seems a bit of a waste to have this nice AI Suite for tuning, and then have to dig around in the UEFI to find all the equivalent settings you need to change once you've found your requirements - some of them are much harder to locate in the UEFI than in the AI Suite. It doubles the work, and it would be nice to have a "Commit Settings to UEFI" in AI Suite.

Hi,

I know with the Maximus VI Gene you can save your AI Suite 3 tweeks to a profile.

And then whenever you reboot all you do is load them.

Hopefully, you should be able to do the same.

That has been fed-back before. Don't think it will be added as it adds another layer of complexity that our guys dont want to get into right now.

There isn't much one needs to adjust for 24/7 OC anyways, so it's quite easy to do in UEFI.
    Fair enough, but AI Suite could be clearer on the fact that AI Suite doesn't do this function. On face value it looks as if it does, when in fact it doesn't.
    Intel i7 4770K @ 4.8 Ghz
    NH-U14S with NF-A15
    Asus Z87-PRO
    Corsair TX750M
    Antec 302
    Benq E2200HD
    LiteOn iHAS524-32 A
    Noctua NF-A14 FLX

Quote Originally Posted by Kensek View Post
    Hi,

I know with the Maximus VI Gene you can save your AI Suite 3 tweeks to a profile.

And then whenever you reboot all you do is load them.

Hopefully, you should be able to do the same.
    It is the same for the Z87-Pro, but I don't think anybody wants to have to keep loading their profile up again every time their PC boots. My particular concern is I didn't want the PC to default to a high adaptive overclock voltage when I don't need it. All it takes is to forget to load a profile, and it's possible to be running nearly to 1.4 volts under load, which is more than I want to be putting through an expensive 4770K.
    Intel i7 4770K @ 4.8 Ghz
    NH-U14S with NF-A15
    Asus Z87-PRO
    Corsair TX750M
    Antec 302
    Benq E2200HD
    LiteOn iHAS524-32 A
    Noctua NF-A14 FLX

Xtreme Addict
    This isn't just torture utilities though. I've been using an MP4 encoder to test real world usage/stress (actually encoding some video, not torture testing), and that's AVX enabled. I'm pretty sure people will be using AVX in the real world. For instance, it's used in the GRID 2 game that came free with my Haswell CPU.
    Most real world programs using AVX do not hammer the CPU as utilities such as Prime/LinX does. I doubt you would even see the voltage increase unless you graph all the cores over a period of time. Below is HandBrake and x264 HD Benchmark which both use AVX monitored over an approximate 15 minute interval. Normal full load is 1.287V and AVX load is 1.399V.

x264 HD Benchmark
    click for larger image

HandBrake
    click for larger image

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Killed my first 4770K with M6E.
    Debug code 00 with CPU LED lighted on.
    confirmed it with another 4770K.
    one of the bios chips is dead also. Code 00 forever even backflashed and battery off.
    SUCCESSFUL TRADE LIST RM600k+

^^ Malaysia's Overclocking Enthusiast Community Website ^^
    Find us at Facebook HERE

XS Successful Trades:
    G.Skill RipjawsZ 2400C9 4X4GB - sold to easegantini | G.Skill RipjawsX 2133C8 2X2GB - bought from Dumo | 2600K 57X - bought from newhit | 3770K 6750 - bought from Viss | 3770K 6750 - sold to Sniper | 3770K IMC 2800+ - bought from Dumo | G.Skill Pi 2200C7 - bought from websmile | 3770K IMC 2933+ - bought from Viss | DomGT 2kC7 3X2GB - sold to _AntLionBR_ | G.Skill Pi 2133C8 - bought from websmile | DomP 2800C11 - bought from Alex-Ro | Pi 2000C7 - bought from websmile | GTX4 + KVR 1333C9 - bought from TaPaKaH

XIP
    What voltage settings and last bench owik?

XIP
    Test 0031 mfr

Last edited by Dumo; 07-09-2013 at 01:23 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumo View Post
    What voltage settings and last bench owik?
    5.0 2c 2t with 1.6v LLC8 VCCIN 2.2V

It had been fine on review M6E. But all went wrong on retail M6E in which I had multiple boot loops and debug code 00.

then swapped on review M6E with the same settings but VCCIN 1.75v. Stuck at code 00 = CPU gg and one bios chip is unusable code 00 forever.
    SUCCESSFUL TRADE LIST RM600k+

^^ Malaysia's Overclocking Enthusiast Community Website ^^
    Find us at Facebook HERE

XS Successful Trades:
    G.Skill RipjawsZ 2400C9 4X4GB - sold to easegantini | G.Skill RipjawsX 2133C8 2X2GB - bought from Dumo | 2600K 57X - bought from newhit | 3770K 6750 - bought from Viss | 3770K 6750 - sold to Sniper | 3770K IMC 2800+ - bought from Dumo | G.Skill Pi 2200C7 - bought from websmile | 3770K IMC 2933+ - bought from Viss | DomGT 2kC7 3X2GB - sold to _AntLionBR_ | G.Skill Pi 2133C8 - bought from websmile | DomP 2800C11 - bought from Alex-Ro | Pi 2000C7 - bought from websmile | GTX4 + KVR 1333C9 - bought from TaPaKaH

Xtreme Addict
    Almost all guys that killed their haswell on air user 2.2 vccin,i advise to keep it at 2V or below,after all you need a delta of 0.4v between vcore and vccin,so if you bench 1.6Vcore(|which is not advisable on air too) 2.0 vccin would be fine.

I'm having a bizarre issue with a new Maximus VI Extreme build I just put together last week.

Every time I disconnect the PSU from an electrical outlet and then reconnect it the machine keeps starting and then shutting off on the first attempt to power up.

The power light comes on and the fans start to spin and then it shuts back down again and some times cycles on and off a few times. Once I finally get it to power up completely and boot into Windows the problem won't reoccur until I disconnect the PSU from the electrical outlet again.

The problem occurs on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 Pro 64. Does anyone here have any ideas?

The specs on the machine are as follows -

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
    CPU: 4770K (Swiftech H220 Water Cooler)
    Memory: G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) (PC3 12800/C7)
    GPU: EVGA Titan SC
    SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128/256 GB
    PSU: Corsair AX1200
    Case: Lian Li PC-A70

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by djt View Post
    I'm having a bizarre issue with a new Maximus VI Extreme build I just put together last week.

Every time I disconnect the PSU from an electrical outlet and then reconnect it the machine keeps starting and then shutting off on the first attempt to power up.

The power light comes on and the fans start to spin and then it shuts back down again and some times cycles on and off a few times. Once I finally get it to power up completely and boot into Windows the problem won't reoccur until I disconnect the PSU from the electrical outlet again.

The problem occurs on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 Pro 64. Does anyone here have any ideas?

The specs on the machine are as follows -

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
    CPU: 4770K (Swiftech H220 Water Cooler)
    Memory: G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) (PC3 12800/C7)
    GPU: EVGA Titan SC
    SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128/256 GB
    PSU: Corsair AX1200
    Case: Lian Li PC-A70

Does this happen at optimized defults as well? Which UFI version are you running?

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Does this happen at optimized defults as well? Which UFI version are you running?
    Thank you for the response.

I'll have to check again using the default BIOS settings to be sure but I think when I first put the build together I had the same problem using the default settings.

Is the UFI version the same as ME version? If so I'm showing 9.0.2.1345. If it's not how can I find the UFI version?

Does this happen at optimized defults as well?
    A quick update: I just tried it loading the default BIOS settings and after disconnecting from the power outlet again I'm having trouble powering up, it took a few tries to get the system to power on.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Sorry typo, should read UEFI. Should be shown on the screen you are reading the ME version from.

Latest beta UEFI is here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?z4u8cg24zccpz1d

If you don't know which version, it's probably likely you are on the shipping build. Flash the build above and see if you still get power cycle issues at complete defaults. If the board halts during POST let us know which code it is halting on. Might be worth typing out a list of all peripherals plugged into the board as well.

BTW if you are using only two memory modules, use the red slots.
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 07-09-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Xtreme Addict
    It does that with all uefi,it's not an issue i think,other boards do it too.From connecting power cord to actually powering up the rig it takes 2 cycles of on/off.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex-Ro View Post
    It does that with all uefi,it's not an issue i think,other boards do it too.From connecting power cord to actually powering up the rig it takes 2 cycles of on/off.
    His posts make it sound like he cannot get it to turn on unless he tries a few times. Yes the restarts are normal depending upon settings applied, but the board should cycle as needed and POST~BOOT into the OS without the user needing to intervene. One would assume he is leaving the board to do that, but stranger things happen I suppose..hehe
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 07-09-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Xtreme Addict
    hehe when you don't know whom to blame,aliens are there all the times you know

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Lol aliens. We should call in Jesse Ventura...

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Sorry typo, should read UEFI. Should be shown on the screen you are reading the ME version from.

Latest beta UEFI is here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?z4u8cg24zccpz1d

If you don't know which version, it's probably likely you are on the shipping build. Flash the build above and see if you still get power cycle issues at complete defaults. If the board halts during POST let us know which code it is halting on. Might be worth typing out a list of all peripherals plugged into the board as well.

BTW if you are using only two memory modules, use the red slots.

I flashed to the BIOS you posted the link to. After the BIOS flashed the machine restarted around 3 separate times while it updated iROG1 and iROG2.

Now it seems to consistently restart 2 times before fully powering up after the PSU has been disconnected from the outlet. I have to hold the power button for a bit to get it to start also, a lot longer than what I experience from a power up when the PSU hasn't been disconnected.

Unlike what I interpreted the manual as instructing, I switched the two memory modules from the black slots to the red ones but it doesn't seem to help anything.

By the way do you have any suggestions for how the BIOS should be setup for the memory and CPU I'm using with this board? I'm currently using the XMP option with the Ai Overclock Turner which has detected the proper timings for this memory but that's about it.

XIP
    Now it seems to consistently restart 2 times before fully powering up after the PSU has been disconnected from the outlet. I have to hold the power button for a bit to get it to start also, a lot longer than what I experience from a power up when the PSU hasn't been disconnected.

By the way do you have any suggestions for how the BIOS should be setup for the memory and CPU I'm using with this board? I'm currently using the XMP option with the Ai Overclock Turner which has detected the proper timings for this memory but that's about it.
    Its normal when power up the board.

Go to page 1 on this thread for more info of bios setup

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I have to hold the power button for a bit to get it to start also, a lot longer than what I experience from a power up when the PSU hasn't been disconnected.

Having to hold the power button longer for the board to start: Are the onboard standby LEDs illuminated when you are pressing the power button? Might be a slight delay as the PSU switches on. Personally, I don't turn my PSU off at the wall every night - I utilize S3. ErP compliant means very low power leakage in S3 (standby) from these PSUs.

Can't really advise any more as I have to go by how you are describing the symptoms and that makes it difficult. I would not worry about overclocking your CPU until you've worked the basics of how the board works out and identified if there are any issues. The double-pump (restart) is normal from AC power cycle. The switch-on delay you are citing could just be your PSU getting power to the board after turn on, and you pressing the case power button too soon.

-Raja
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 07-10-2013 at 05:11 AM.

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast