Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS Z87 Motherboards - Overview, Guides and Official Support

XIP
    Quote Originally Posted by XBrytanX View Post
    what's the max DDR voltage on this mobo
    2.4V and 1.92V for cpu

Xtreme XIP
    Testing the Asus Z87-PRO is a lot of fun , I like this mid-range board a lot ,very stable board even at high clocks and subsero.
    quick cinebench 11.5 at 5700Mhz on Cascade @ -108c
    http://imageshack.us/a/img442/8185/cine2.jpg

Last edited by chispy; 06-06-2013 at 10:58 PM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Nice
    ASUS North America Technical Marketing - If you are based outside North America and require technical assistance or have a query please contact ASUS Support for your region.

Rampage IV Extreme tweaking guide

ASUS Z77 UEFI Tuning Guide for overclocking

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Maximus VI Series UEFI OC Guide

your chips seems good chipsy .
    ROG Power PCs - Intel and AMD
    CPUs:i9-7900X, i9-9900K, i7-6950X, i7-5960X, i7-8086K, i7-8700K, 4x i7-7700K, i3-7350K, 2x i7-6700K, i5-6600K, R7-2700X, 4x R5 2600X, R5 2400G, R3 1200, R7-1800X, R7-1700X, 3x AMD FX-9590, 1x AMD FX-9370, 4x AMD FX-8350,1x AMD FX-8320,1x AMD FX-8300, 2x AMD FX-6300,2x AMD FX-4300, 3x AMD FX-8150, 2x AMD FX-8120 125 and 95W, AMD X2 555 BE, AMD x4 965 BE C2 and C3, AMD X4 970 BE, AMD x4 975 BE, AMD x4 980 BE, AMD X6 1090T BE, AMD X6 1100T BE, A10-7870K, Athlon 845, Athlon 860K,AMD A10-7850K, AMD A10-6800K, A8-6600K, 2x AMD A10-5800K, AMD A10-5600K, AMD A8-3850, AMD A8-3870K, 2x AMD A64 3000+, AMD 64+ X2 4600+ EE, Intel i7-980X, Intel i7-2600K, Intel i7-3770K,2x i7-4770K, Intel i7-3930KAMD Cinebench R10 challenge AMD Cinebench R15 thread Intel Cinebench R15 thread

Xtreme Member
    @Raja@Asus:

I got Asus Z87-Pro. It came with BIOS revision 0801. According to your website first production version is 1007. Did I get production mainboard or an early review sample?

I am asking this because for the first time with an Asus board I am having a lot of problems with SATA controller on a fresh Windows 7 install -- my OCZ Vertex 2 was not showing up every time and when it did it was throwing disk and ntfs errors in the event log. SSD works fine in a USB to SATA enclosure and I updated its firmware and did secure erase just to make sure everything is up to date. Intel RST was giving me errors in the event log for that port where Vertex 2 is connected. Port number changed if I connected it to another port.

I also tried different cables and I finally reverted to Microsoft AHCI driver which seems to aleviate the issue.

However, now I am getting the following error in the event log:

Code:
    atapi - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.
    IDE port 0 is boot drive (OC Vertex 3 LP) which I also upgraded to latest firmware.

Every HDD/SSD I have in this build was working perfectly on my P8Z68-V Pro.

Moreover, I could not boot the computer with ICH set to RAID mode and SATA DVD attached -- this also worked on P8Z68-V Pro.

CPU is 4770K, and RAM is 16GB 1600Mhz CL9 Kingston HyperX kit which is on your QVL for this mainboard. Video card is Asus 680 GTX.

Short from imaging Windows to another HDD/SSD to rule out OCZ incompatibility as a source of problem, I am out of ideas what I can try to resolve this controller error and I am beginning to suspect a faulty motherboard.

Please help.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    0801 is not pre production, that was the original build. Just update to the latest.

The issue you are getting with the SSD is known. The Sandofrce controlles are non-compliant and Intel have tightened up tolerances on Z87. You may need to upgrade your drive if SSD vendors or we cannot patch it. Sandforce's controllers have always been problematic, and this latest stuff with SATA detection compliance is another list of things that controller needs patches for. With the drives being as old as they are, anny SSD vendor we have approached is not interested in doing anything with them because they are now EOL.
    ASUS North America Technical Marketing - If you are based outside North America and require technical assistance or have a query please contact ASUS Support for your region.

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by zir_blazer View Post
    Got any more info regarding this? Intel themselves says that for VT-d you just need Processor and BIOS support, they say nothing about Chipset, check here. Intel claims VT-d support on many of their Desktop Motherboards using a wide range of Chipset for Sandy Bridge (H61, Q67, X79), Ivy Bridge (B75, H77, Q77, Z75, Z77) and Haswell (B85, Q87).

Other manufacturers are pumping out beta BIOSes to support this feature either with public availability or at request on Motherboards with a variety of non-Q Chipsets, but as far that I am aware, ASUS has the worst track record regarding support for this feature. While many ASUS Motherboards do have an option to enable/disable VT-d support in the BIOS, they got usually an incorrectly implemented DMAR tables for Intel platform or ACPI IVRS tables for AMD, so it can't be used. It is also prone to be broken with a BIOS upgrade, as on some Motherboards that did have it working, newer BIOSes broke them.

You may want to check into this issue, as ASUS DO have Motherboards claiming support yet not working. I'm holding back from purchasing a new ASUS Motherboard for Haswell until its guaranteed it will work with VT-d/AMD-Vi, as that is what they will be used for.

You wont' get any guarantees it is working. You can take this as a guarantee that it doesn't:

http://ark.intel.com/products/75013/Intel-DH82Z87-PCH

Anyone claiming it is working is not being honest with you.

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the quick reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    0801 is not pre production, that was the original build. Just update to the latest.
    I already did, in an effort to solve the problem.

The issue you are getting with the SSD is known. The Sandofrce controlles are non-compliant and Intel have tightened up tolerances on Z87. You may need to upgrade your drive if SSD vendors or we cannot patch it. Sandforce's controllers have always been problematic, and this latest stuff with SATA detection compliance is another list of things that controller needs patches for. With the drives being as old as they are, anny SSD vendor we have approached is not interested in doing anything with them because they are now EOL.
    I was afraid you are going to say that... I heard about all the problems but I didn't have them on my P8Z68-V Pro so I was hoping it will work with Z87-Pro as well.

Can you please recommend a few SSD drives that are known to be compatible with Asus Z87-Pro?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    All of the newer drives should be fine AFAIK..

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Xtreme Member
    All of the newer drives should be fine AFAIK..
    Does ASUS have QVL for SSD?

If not, please cosider making one because what we know about new chipsets and new SSDs will always be considerably less than what your engineers know.

After spending $640 on this upgrade I would really like to avoid buying an incompatible SSD, not to mention the hassle of repeated OS reinstalls.

Another thing I need to know is whether SATA DVD are also problematic with Z87? Should I connect it to ASMedia perhaps?

Also, a few questions about BIOS:

1. Is it possible to have UEFI enabled and Secure Boot disabled? If so, how?
    2. If boot is enabled only for Windows UEFI and other storage devices disabled or set to ignore why is DVD still accessed during POST?
    3. Is there a more detailed documentation available for BIOS options? Many terms are not explained and those that are explained are not explained very well so it is hard to understand what they do.

Finally, a suggestion if I may:
    1. When flashing BIOS from EZ Flash wording is awkward -- it asks "Do you want to read this file?" and if I answer YES it immediately proceeds with flashing. I was expecting another confirmation after the file is read. Maybe you should change the question to "Do you want to flash this file?"

Xtreme X.I.P.
    There is a QVL for SSDs yes.

Not that I know of. If your DVD drive worked before it should now.

As for the questions:

1) Why do you want to do this? I've never tried it. Try it and see what happens.

2) Not sure, I wouldn't worry about it (likely detection purposes).

3) Which terms specifically?

EZ flash prompts twice before flashing (point at file once, then final confirm). It's enough.

If you have any more support queries please contact your local ASUS office. I only cover NA users - I am not global support.
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 06-07-2013 at 02:07 AM.

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Xtreme Member
    If you have any more support queries please contact your local ASUS office. I only cover NA users - I am not global support.
    Sorry to bother you then but my local Asus office can only give out marketing phrases, not support

I am asking you because there is a high probability you know this stuff, Z87 boards and their settings are so new that nobody has any experience with it yet.

There is a QVL for SSDs yes.
    Nice, where can I see it?

1) Why do you want to do this?
    Because I use Windows 7 in UEFI mode and Windows 7 does not use secure boot? Maybe it does not matter?

Which terms specifically?
    - Dynamic Storage Accelerator (mentions power states but not what and how it does)
    - Two other new Intel tech (can't remember names now, disabled by default)
    - Asus Multicore enhancement
    - Everything in DIGI+ power control
    - Everything in CPU power management
    - HW Fast boot

A lot of options have useless help in the form of "XYZ -- Controls XYZ, values can be Enabled or Disabled, default is Enabled" without telling you what is it for or at least what each setting does when set to Enalbed or Disabled.

EZ flash prompts twice before flashing. It's enough.
    Umm... no, it just asked if I want to read the file and when I said yes it worked for a while then said "flashing completed successfully". I am pretty tired at this point but I think I would notice the other prompt.

Finally, why it is not possible to disable Intel AMT / MEI?
    Last edited by audiofreak; 06-07-2013 at 02:52 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by audiofreak View Post
    Nice, where can I see it?

Because I use Windows 7 in UEFI mode and Windows 7 does not use secure boot? Maybe it does not matter?

- Dynamic Storage Accelerator (mentions power states but not what and how it does)
    - Two other new Intel tech (can't remember names now, disabled by default)
    - Asus Multicore enhancement
    - Everything in DIGI+ power control
    - Everything in CPU power management
    - HW Fast boot

A lot of options have useless help in the form of "XYZ -- Controls XYZ, values can be Enabled or Disabled, default is Enabled" without telling you what is it for or at least what each setting does when set to Enalbed or Disabled.

Umm... no, it just asked if I want to read the file and when I said yes it worked for a while then said "flashing completed successfully". I am pretty tired at this point but I think I would notice the other prompt.

Finally, why it is not possible to disable Intel AMT / MEI?

1 On the ASUS support page. If not up now they will be soon.

2 Dont think it matters

3. Some C-States have impact on SATA performance.
    Multcore enhance clocks all cores at turbo frequency instead of Intel default turbo policy.
    Go to ROG forums and read my OC guides for DIGI+ section (older guides have the info). You don't need to adjust though, leave at auto.

For everything in CPU Management Read up on C-State tech (power gating of various sections of CPU). The rest is pretty easy to work out if you read the name. And you dont really need to change anything in there. Anything disabled or enabled is done so either for power saving, performance or thermal reasons.

HW FAST BOOT enables UEFI fast boot feature with compatible GPUs etc to reduce BOOT times.

MEI is needed by the platform for various things from POST routines to access for temperature and on the fly changes. Can't be "disabled", would not work.

My flashing never does what your does. You might have pressed enter twice. And you wanted to flash right? Otherwise why were you even in the EZ flash section? I always get prompted to read the file and then to update UEFI. That's more than enough in my book. No need for any more than that so I won't be suggesting any changes to the process.

Rest of your questions please direct at your local support.
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 06-07-2013 at 03:24 AM.

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Xtreme Member
    MEI is needed by the platform for various things from POST routines to access for temperature and on the fly changes. Can't be "disabled", would not work.
    With MEI drivers all of the following gets installed:
    Code:
    1. Intel? Management Engine Interface 
    2. Intel? Dynamic Application Loader
    3. Intel? Identity Protection Technology (Intel? IPT)
    4. Local Management Service
    Apart from the first one which is necessary, I am almost sure I don't need any of the other three.

Intel AMT is a business oriented feature, not to mention it has nothing to do with overclocking from Windows and can pose a security risk if left enabled without being properly configured and accounted for because it enables REMOTE management of the PC through an out of band network communication. That is what I meant when I asked why I cannot disable it, sorry if my wording was not clear but I am really tired.

I have also noticed that some of those components do not uninstall properly (errors in the event log keep showing even after uninstall).

I would really appreciate to be able to install just the driver for MEI (no services, no applications) like I was doing with Z68 and also drivers only for AMDA00 (ACPI\PNP0A0A device) to remove the "Unknown device" from the Device Management because I am not using any of the Asus provided applications for on the fly tweaking.

My flashing never does what your does. You might have pressed enter twice.
    You know, maybe I did.

But still, even if I did accidentally hit Enter twice the important and basic rule of user interface programming is that before every critical user input you flush the keyboard buffer to be sure that cat didn't walk over the keyboard or that the user did not accidentally press same key more than once which can also happen if the key contacts bounce or if the repeat rate is too fast.

And you wanted to flash right?
    Sure, but I wanted to check version and checksum, or maybe get a chance to dump existing BIOS first. Next time I will do it from DOS using BUPDATER -- lesson learned.

That's more than enough in my book. No need for any more than that so I won't be suggesting any changes to the process.
    I agree that two prompts are enough, but you may still suggest them to add a keyboard buffer flush before second prompt.

Thanks the info and the patience, I am going to get Samsung 840 Pro 256GB to replace OCZ Vertex 2 and 3 which I have now.

I will post how it works later in the evening.

Xtreme Addict
    I am going to get Samsung 840 Pro 256GB to replace OCZ Vertex 2 and 3 which I have now.
    There is no Z87 compatibility issue with the Vertex 3.

Xtreme Member
    @Raja

What is the purpose/function of the ASUS Mini Bar ribbon in the new AI Suite III?

It seems rather useless and I always have to right click on the AI Suite III icon to disable it.

Ryzen 9 on the test bench... Sometimes older generation/tech as well.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Praz View Post
    There is no Z87 compatibility issue with the Vertex 3.
    Well, I am having controller errors on the port the drive is connected to whenever there is disk activity.

I hope it is not the board... we will see in one hour.

If someone wants to install MEI without other services the command to run is:
    Code:
    setup.exe -drvonly

Xtreme X.I.P.
    It's a mini bar. If you don't need it disable it.

Quote Originally Posted by PolRoger View Post
    @Raja

What is the purpose/function of the ASUS Mini Bar ribbon in the new AI Suite III?

It seems rather useless and I always have to right click on the AI Suite III icon to disable it.

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Xtreme X.I.P.
    With MEI drivers all of the following gets installed:
    Code:
    1. Intel? Management Engine Interface 
    2. Intel? Dynamic Application Loader
    3. Intel? Identity Protection Technology (Intel? IPT)
    4. Local Management Service
    Apart from the first one which is necessary, I am almost sure I don't need any of the other three.

Intel AMT is a business oriented feature, not to mention it has nothing to do with overclocking from Windows and can pose a security risk if left enabled without being properly configured and accounted for because it enables REMOTE management of the PC through an out of band network communication. That is what I meant when I asked why I cannot disable it, sorry if my wording was not clear but I am really tired.

I have also noticed that some of those components do not uninstall properly (errors in the event log keep showing even after uninstall).

I would really appreciate to be able to install just the driver for MEI (no services, no applications) like I was doing with Z68 and also drivers only for AMDA00 (ACPI\PNP0A0A device) to remove the "Unknown device" from the Device Management because I am not using any of the Asus provided applications for on the fly tweaking.

Too many custom needs for me to get involved in. Not going to suggest this kind of stuff sorry. Would rather focus our resources on making sure things work rather than getting into the nitty gritty of individual installation needs.

AS for your buffer suggestion I am just going to chock that up to you being overly tired. You didn't even know the file prompts twice and it doesn't happen that fast. You are getting overly worried about nothing.

Any more suggestions for improvements or your personal needs, its up to your local support. You can tell them whatever you need - it's their job to help you. I have enough to cover without taking on everybody else's work for them so it's my last response about all of this. There's only so much time I have on my hands for work outside our region. Thanks

Enjoy your board. Take a rest if you're tired. Hope everything goes well for you.

-Raja
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 06-07-2013 at 08:15 AM.

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Xtreme Addict
    Any news when memtweakit will be able to change timings real-time?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Not sure. It's been like that for a while and I thought they'd have opened it by now. Only Intel knows.

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Xtreme Addict
    Guess the change comes with updated MEI firmware

Xtreme Addict
    Raja, what cooling setup was used in the stability testing shown? Thank you.
    Feedanator 7.0
    CASE:R5|PSU:850G2|CPU:i7 6850K|MB:x99 Ultra|RAM:8x4 2666|GPU:980TI|SSD:BPX256/Evo500|SOUND:2i4/HS8
    LCD:XB271HU|OS:Win10|INPUT:G900/K70 |HS/F:H115i

Xtreme Member
    @ Raja

The ASUS Mini Bar...

Is it supposed to do something? There seems to be no user functionality other then to remind myself that I'm currently "flying" with the high performance plane (icon) setting in AI Suite III. When I try to click on it nothing happens? I can click on the little white triangle and the ribbon will shrink over and hide to the right side of the screen. It seems pretty pointless unless I'm missing something? I can't even find a way to permanently disable it from loading... I have click the little check mark every time I reboot?
    Last edited by PolRoger; 06-07-2013 at 11:54 AM.
    Ryzen 9 on the test bench... Sometimes older generation/tech as well.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenfeed View Post
    Raja, what cooling setup was used in the stability testing shown? Thank you.
    Koolance aio water cooler. Ex2-1055
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 06-07-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast