Thread: The GIGABYTE Z87X-OC Review with 4770K

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jjjc_93 View Post
    Damn jimba my scroll wheel finger is getting sore just from your sig dude
    PM has been sent

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by l0ud_sil3nc3 View Post
    try 1.2 vccsa 1.15 io a and 1.2 io d

leave ring voltage at auto for 4gh core and 4ghz uncore.
    Nevermind, I was being an idiot trying to input the offset volts with a + in front

This is with some low binned Patriot Intel Extreme Masters, only rated 1866C10 but these sticks have been clocking like crazy for me on Ivy and now on Haswell.

i7 4930K
    32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3-2400C10
    Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
    2x GeForce GTX 780
    Corsair AX1200
    Cooler Master HAF-X
    Dell U3011

Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    ^ nice glad to see you got it working, 2933 out of an 1866 kit is pretty awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    gskillllin it!

I am Xtreme
    yea the beauty of haswell. Hey is that new memtweakit on TT or somthing?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelly View Post
    Hey Sin, probally a daft question, but I've got a Creative Sound Blaster ZxR, the 1 x PCI Express x1 slot is right near the first 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16, if the soundcard is in the last PCI-E 16x slot that runs off the PCH, it won't drop the bandwidth to x8 on the graphics card will it, just making sure I've got that right?

Looking to order a board asap.
    You are correct, since the last PCI-E slot gets bandwidth from the PCH and only the PCH you have nothing to worry about because it can't take bandwidth from the other slots. Only the first 3 slots can share bandwidth.

Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    yea the beauty of haswell. Hey is that new memtweakit on TT or somthing?
    Memtweakit for you sin

http://www.overclock.net/t/1300766/s...#post_20119337
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    gskillllin it!

HiCookie show Gigabyte Z87X-OC BCLK 202.36

And DDR3 4x8 3400 & 4x4 3500

And DDR3 4168

Last edited by ihog6hog; 06-04-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ihog6hog View Post
    HiCookie show Gigabyte Z87X-OC BCLK 202.36
    Noob Haswell OC'er here. What is the BCLK and it's relation to overclocking? Thanks!
    New rig: INWIN D-Frame, i7 4770k @ 4.7 Ghz/1.38V, Swiftech H220, MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming, Team Vulcan DDR3 1600, 9-9-9-24, Samsung 840 pro 256GB, EVGA GTX 780, Corsair 850W
    Old rig:Antec 900/GIGABYTE GA-X38T-DQ6
    E6750 @ 3.5 GHz/Thermalright 120 extreme/MX2
    CORSAIR Vengance 8GB
    PNY 8800GT/Thermalright HR-03 GT

Old, old rig: FX-53/GIGABYTE K8NSNXP-939 nForce3 Ultra/1GB CORSAIR 3200XLPRO
    X800XTPE/WD 74GB Raptor/250GB Caviar

I am Xtreme
    not too much, but for memory OC over 3ghz+ you will need to use 1.25x divider and for 4K+ it matters a lot as 1.67x doesn't seem to play nice with memory multiplier yet, so you need like 120x1.25*29.33. CPU OC seem to be little to no difference, maybe sometimes you can get higher with a divider maybe sometimes without. BCLK has a lot to do with the BIOS you use and its BCLK tuning.

uncore you also need to watch as on air the CPUs don't love over 4.7ghz, you can use Ring voltage to help it and CPU stabilization seems to help too.

Xtreme Member

BBSE ram on this mobo... don't go that route lol it's driving me mad. 1/10 time spent benching 9/10 time spent in bios trying to even POST previous stable settings.
    Overclocking, it's a lifestyle

Xtreme Addict
    Nice review steve, looks like a great board for the price.
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

It is a very sexy board, not so many 3rd party controllers at all, except for the USB 3.0 hubs and a PCI-E to PCI bridge there are no more un-needed ICs. USB 3.0 hub actually is a pretty good thing in the case of Intel USB 3.0(as that sleep problem doesn't apply with a hub because the hub can still poll after waking!).
    Is Gigabyte's solution a fix for the C1 problem? Does it work in reality? If so, I won't wait for the C2 boards.

Xtreme Member
    Hi Sin I was wondering if you will be doing a review on the Z87X-UD4H this one seems to hav 16phase VRM design 8 sata ports also pretty nice cash back deal going on. Also on z87 have GB sorted out the bios niggles. E.G boot loops... also I see now there is a dual bios switch which disables dual bios.. Has this made a difference on stability? On my UP5TH ive had it running 4.8GHz for good few months, today I tried upping the voltage and multi to 50X everything booted then upon checking cpuz my cpu still running 4.8GHz (seems its locked with backup bios settings) wanted your take on the VRMs on UD4H.
    Corsair carbide 400R case
    Corsair AX-750W PSU
    Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH (F13a)
    Gigabyte GTX 680 OC WF3X
    Intel i7 2600K @ 4.8GHz Antec Kuhler 620
    Gskill Ripjaw 16GB DDR3 2133 (10 11 10 28 1T) 1.62v
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Win 8 X64
    Samsung F4 2TB
    Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB
    Pioneer 216BK DVDRW
    Liteon iHas 324 DVDRW

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by irfs View Post
    Hi Sin I was wondering if you will be doing a review on the Z87X-UD4H this one seems to hav 16phase VRM design 8 sata ports also pretty nice cash back deal going on. Also on z87 have GB sorted out the bios niggles. E.G boot loops... also I see now there is a dual bios switch which disables dual bios.. Has this made a difference on stability? On my UP5TH ive had it running 4.8GHz for good few months, today I tried upping the voltage and multi to 50X everything booted then upon checking cpuz my cpu still running 4.8GHz (seems its locked with backup bios settings) wanted your take on the VRMs on UD4H.
    yea sure I can, I have all the boards just let me know which ones you want reviews done on.

yea sure I can, the disable switch is really great at taking down any type of OC recovery time. Yea I haven't see anyone complain about a boot loop or anything, maybe here you don't see anyone with GBT boards, but go over to other forums with people who actually own GBT boards and check out some of my help threads there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calathea View Post
    BBSE ram on this mobo... don't go that route lol it's driving me mad. 1/10 time spent benching 9/10 time spent in bios trying to even POST previous stable settings.
    I know exactly why you had a ton of trouble, your issue should be fixed in the next BIOS release, especially if you were setting all your timings manually. You should have just left more things on auto and changed like tRRSR for the 3rds just if you needed too. But never the less it wasn't an issue with the board or BIOS, but rather a bug that was really making it hard to manually set things correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by id001 View Post
    Is Gigabyte's solution a fix for the C1 problem? Does it work in reality? If so, I won't wait for the C2 boards.
    And C2 is supposed to fix this? Ya sure Intel isn't just going to let Microsoft fix it? lol Check windows 8 downloads under the GBT download site, a bunch of USB 3.0 hotfixes that should solve the issues. Also as far as I can tell my USB 3.0 devices work, but the issue is isolated to only a few USB 3.0 devices, so i am not sure if I have one that would have the issue. A lot of the USb 3.0 issues i see are not related to sleep but rather in general to Intel's USb 3.0 support being a bit off.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
    Nice review steve, looks like a great board for the price.
    Not bad even if they charged a lot more. Just needs a few bugs to be taken out that weren't early enough. For instance since launch they have fixed:
    Freezing in the UEFI(while trying to take screenshots or set settings after a while) = Fixed
    Uncore not changing over Turbo multi(39x for Uncore) = Fixed
    Memory not working Cas6 under the cold= fixed
    BCLK upto 200mhz on air = fixed (well you only need F5Q and to set voltages a special way depending on the CPU)
    VOltage control to the max supported= Maybe will be added

F5q is the latest and the next release should be even better. THis board is designed to compete against the M6E(and I guess i need to mention OCF on this forum), nothing less.
    Last edited by sin0822; 06-30-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Fact is that Gigabyte with socket 2011, and 1155 was a fail, it was on a descendent path, on Z87 it's a little better but still after Asus>Asrock
    And i'm not comparig with Asus but with Asrock.

Asrock don't have the Gigabyte resources, with 1 overclocker( not 20)- a good team for bios, the OCF series mb's have better performance than Gigabyte.

Msi only save Gigabyte from 4th place.

I remember good old times on socket 1366 with X58-OC,1156 with P55-UD6 these are what Gigabyte is and should be.
    Then was on top.

Now it's clear it's not.
    Last edited by xdan; 06-30-2013 at 01:15 PM.
    i5 2500K@ 4.5Ghz
    Asrock P67 PRO3

P55 PRO & i5 750
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=966385
    239 BCKL validation on cold air
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=966536
    Almost 5hgz , air.

PI in the face
    Just a foot note. As rock sent out 15 samples. The 5 boards I got dont count (kidding!)

I got a oc sample from din bro who I totally give props to. He's working hard on fixing older ic's on the board. Seems for now we are stuck at lowering cache speeds to make things pass which is mad slow in 32m but I doubt it matters for other benchmarks. Why use the resources on one bench.
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Splave View Post
    Just a foot note. As rock sent out 15 samples. The 5 boards I got dont count (kidding!)

I got a oc sample from din bro who I totally give props to. He's working hard on fixing older ic's on the board. Seems for now we are stuck at lowering cache speeds to make things pass which is mad slow in 32m but I doubt it matters for other benchmarks. Why use the resources on one bench.
    15 samples to this forum alone, right? Because I have been counting the number of samples sent out, and its way more than 15. Go asrock's front for samples: fittec corporation, i love how the samples ship from there, even with Z77 OC Formula.

maybe he just don't give you the latest BIOSes lol Also i think it has been a while since you tested the board, unless you just let john touch it. as far as memory goes for older kits, there is a reason there might be issues b/c you are setting all the timings manually on the 3rds, don't do that, not yet.
    Last edited by sin0822; 07-02-2013 at 09:43 AM.

PI in the face
    Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    15 samples to this forum alone, right? Because I have been counting the number of samples sent out, and its way more than 15. Go asrock's front for samples: fittec corporation, i love how the samples ship from there, even with Z77 OC Formula.

maybe he just don't give you the latest BIOSes lol Also i think it has been a while since you tested the board, unless you just let john touch it. as far as memory goes for older kits, there is a reason there might be issues b/c you are setting all the timings manually on the 3rds, don't do that, not yet.
    Ive tested the board, its not ready for cold. Bro give me a break I know how to set thirds?

Hmmmmmm, let jon touch my board? Why he has his own. Week before computex.

Administrator
    This is a GIGABYTE Z87X-OC Review with 4770K, lets keep this thread about the review and board.

Anymore of the bashing that was happening in this thread will result in a vacation with no further warnings.

PI in the face
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    This is a GIGABYTE Z87X-OC Review with 4770K, lets keep this thread about the review and board.

Anymore of the bashing that was happening in this thread will result in a vacation with no further warnings.
    COME AT ME BRO!

jk agreed

Administrator
    COME AT ME BRO!

jk agreed
    I don't know man, I saw pictures of you bench pressing John Lam !!!

I am Xtreme
    Ive tested the board, its not ready for cold. Bro give me a break I know how to set thirds?

Hmmmmmm, let jon touch my board? Why he has his own. Week before computex.
    Yes but for now, it is best not to set them b/c they aren't being correctly set in all BIOSes. That is the bug.

Do you have a M6E?

PI in the face
    yep and xpower

Xtreme Member
    yep and xpower
    Wow man you got all of the brands,I only have one,least it gives you a idea how all the brands are going,that I think is a good idea
    Last edited by bullant; 07-02-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Xtreme Legend

you have to lower cache speed to get things to pass? odd...
    only thing we had with old bios before release was that we didnt have unlocked cache ratios but that has been fixed before release since B10 bios and beta bioses that came subsequently
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast