Thread: The Latest Addition to my Collection: Chance Edition GPU pot! 56K Warning!

Xtreme Member

The Latest Addition to my Collection: Chance Edition GPU pot! 56K Warning!

I've had a thread going for a while in the team lounge, but now that this project is 99.5% complete, I figured I would make a nice little project log for those who haven't been able to follow, or haven't been reading along.

Back Story
    For those who don't know, I'm 18 and still in high school (not for long!). I took a class this year which allowed me to basically make any project I wanted, and the best part was that I would have access to a Lathe, 3-Axis Mill, 3-Axis CNC and an Extrusion 3D Printer. I knew pretty early in the year that I wanted to make a GPU pot, and my goal was to save money, while still getting Tek-9-esque performance.

Process
    I spent a lot of time simply working on the design of this project, and finding possible metals for the Gpu pot. I settled on what I called the "Clover Pot."

I ordered the materials, and began working with the Aluminum top (which was MUCH cheaper, but more on that later).

I made the mating surface of the Aluminum half.

Then moved on to hollow out the middle.

Next was the Copper half. A MUCH more expensive piece, I knew there would be no re-do's here...

Onto the inside!

Now here is where time and tools became a constraint. My last day of school is May 31st, and I still had brackets to make, holes to tap, etc. I was running out of time, and the base design is what shows that the most.

The middle two slots remained almost unchanged, but the namesake of the pot has really changed. No more can I call this the Clover Pot. :rain:

I didn't take very many pictures of the insulation steps, but I basically followed Buckeye's guide here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...gpu+insulation. I doubt he will see this, but a big thanks for the write up!

Final Product

This section will take a few more days to fill in completely since I still have one more bracket sitting in the CNC at school, but that's the only part left.

The Outside (with a bracket mounted, and the 58mm holes filled in (GTX580 maybe? :sn: ).

And the inside. It got a lot darker because I tried my best to braze the two pieces together yesterday. The Aluminum took the material, but the Copper just would not get hot enough to flow. I covered the whole gap with aquarium grade silicone (as per Bobnova's advice) and called it a day.

Cost
    Since the whole point of this project was to save money, I figure I should make a list of what went into it. :thup:

Competitor's Pot:
    You get: 1x Tek9 Fat, 3x mounting Brackets, 1x Set of hardware
    Cost: $235 USD + Shipping

My Pot:
    You get: 1x Chance Edition GPU pot, 2x Mounting brackets (with all the same holes), 1x set of hardware, 1x Insulation for the whole thing, 1x K-type Thermocouple already installed
    Cost: ????

So I decided I would break it down. I pulled out my receipts and tallied it up.

1x 2x4x4 C110 Copper - $105.06
    1x 2x4x4 T6 6061 Aluminum - $15.14
    2x 2.75x2.75x.1875 Aluminum - $2.63

4x 4-40x - .25'' Machine Screws - $1
    4x 4-40x - 1'' Machine Screws - $3
    10x Brass Knurled Nuts - $5

1x K-type Thermocouple - $4.88

1x Tube of DAP Silicone - $5
    1x 30' Roll of Armaflex Insulation - $8
    1x 8-pcs Alumiweld Brazing rods - $16

Total man hours(during school) - 100+

Total Cost: $165.71
    Total Savings: AT LEAST $70 USD

Looking back at the numbers, I would say the project was definitely worth it. I learned quite a bit, had a good time working on the project, some not so good times troubleshooting and breaking bits, etc. But I'll forget all of that once I strap it onto a Gpu for the first time and go sub-zero.

Hope you enjoyed reading!
    Last edited by ChanceCoats123; 05-27-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Little update. I didn't get any good runs in, but got some temperature numbers for my 5870 Matrix.

-100c Club
    Looks very nice, you should be very proud of yourself!

Xtreme Member
    Thanks! First card on my hitlist is this 7970 Lightning I've been waiting to use on Ln2. The pot should handle the load with relative ease.

PI in the face
    Niiiiice!
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Administrator
    Man that came out pretty darn good !
    To bad you ran out of time to finish the insides they way you wanted but it still should work pretty good.

Nice job on that insulation also !

Xtreme Addict
    Looks pretty solid! I would invest that money saved in a pile of old cards to torture for fun.

Remember how easy it was to vmod lots of cards from a few years ago
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

Xtreme Member
    Thanks guys! I've got a few cards in line for a little cold treatment. 7970 Lightning is getting the juice first since it's a known clocker, then my 580 Lightning and I've got a few 58xx cards to run through after that. Now that I can really max cards out, I'll be getting into alot more gpu clocking. Just waiting to see how well Haswell treats me. If I don't get the best chip, I can always stick with my 3770k.